Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
is anyone directly paying for HBOMax

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

TheScott2K posted:

I am. I originally got it with the pre-sales rebate were it was like 8/month, and have been too lazy to cancel it. Now that they aren't getting first run Warner Bros movies it might be a little easier to let it go.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I sub full price through Hulu Live and am really happy with it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I am too, bought a year at discount. Probably one of my most watched streaming services.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

TheScott2K posted:

I do and it’s worth it for us.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
I get it for free with my Cricket poorphone whale plan, and everyone I know IRL is in a similar boat. I really do like it though - it's become the first one I open.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

BonoMan posted:

I know. Which is dumb. I mean the ability to pause live tv is inextricable from the standard viewing experience in 2022.

Also Hulu live tv is now starting at $70 because you have to get the D+/ESPN+ bundle.

$75 if you want Hulu with no ads.

Geez.

Personally I’ve never used DVR. I consider live TV to be a sort of ephemeral experience anyways. I know a lot of people use DVR but for me it’s just an extra expense I don’t want.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I still get it through DirectTV Now or whatever for $5 per month. I can never change this plan which is a bummer, but it's fine.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

FCKGW posted:

Personally I’ve never used DVR. I consider live TV to be a sort of ephemeral experience anyways. I know a lot of people use DVR but for me it’s just an extra expense I don’t want.

It shouldn't be an extra expense at this point... Especially for online services.

We have kids and, while we don't watch tons of live tv, we are constantly having to pause and handle spilled milk or fights or kids going potty or whatever.

I don't even, like, save whole shows or anything. Just need to pause every once in a while.

Edit: as for HBO max. We pay full price for it.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Netflix Standard is now more expensive than HBO Max no ads, and while the same-day theatrical releases are over, getting the big films within 45 days sounds pretty good, making HBO Max the best on-demand streaming service (but they are not connected to a live TV streaming service like Hulu is, so Hulu might have an advantage there).

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

BonoMan posted:

Checking out the spectrum tv app because $20 for tv sounds better than $65 for YTTV... Especially since they have overlap of what we watch.

But... You can't pause live tv on the spectrum app.

What the gently caress? Total deal breaker

Yeah I noped right out of Sling for the same reason. I guess rights fees are higher when you can pause?

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
Subscribed to HBOMax at the discount rate. Haven't used it much actually outside of the Action Park documentary. Same for Apple TV+ really but replace with Peanuts

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Minidust posted:

Yeah I noped right out of Sling for the same reason. I guess rights fees are higher when you can pause?

Maybe. Even with Hulu I had time shift restrictions on some live stuff that I don't with YTTV, so I assume every aspect is a negotiated thing

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
I have older family coming to visit for a few days. I currently don't have cable but I'm interested in signing up for the YouTube TV trial so they can have stuff to watch during the day.

Question: is it pretty easy to hide/remove certain channels from showing up in the YouTube TV app?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Hughmoris posted:

I have older family coming to visit for a few days. I currently don't have cable but I'm interested in signing up for the YouTube TV trial so they can have stuff to watch during the day.

Question: is it pretty easy to hide/remove certain channels from showing up in the YouTube TV app?

Yes you can hide Fox News.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Jose Oquendo posted:

Yes you can hide Fox News.

haha lol

but yes editing channels in YTTV is extremely easy. I'd recommend doing it via the web interface just for quicker/ease of use.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
I'll give it a go, thanks!

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I really love YTTV. We paused our sub just for budgetary reasons. I tried Hulu and other other Live services and YTTV really just bests 'em all. Especially the mobile app.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The thing that I really love about it is the unlimited DVR. Coming from the days of TiVo where even having like 1tb of storage you were always making choices about what to record, how long to keep, managing space.

YTTV makes it simple, is there a show I may want to watch? Add it to the list. DVR recordings last 9 months with a timeline that resets every time the episode airs. No management of recordings, just lists of shows in my library.

Only downside is not really having all that much I'm watching on broadcast TV these days outside of leaving it on for background noise.

jiffynuts
Jul 6, 2005

It's a-me-a-ha-me-ha

bull3964 posted:

The thing that I really love about it is the unlimited DVR. Coming from the days of TiVo where even having like 1tb of storage you were always making choices about what to record, how long to keep, managing space.

YTTV makes it simple, is there a show I may want to watch? Add it to the list. DVR recordings last 9 months with a timeline that resets every time the episode airs. No management of recordings, just lists of shows in my library.

Only downside is not really having all that much I'm watching on broadcast TV these days outside of leaving it on for background noise.

Echoing all of these things. I only wish I could edit the channel list down further to some kind of a-la-carte deal and save more money. My wife and I only watch a handful of stuff on regular tv, the rest of it coming from streaming services. Overall though, YTTV is fantastic. The apps work great, the interface is pretty good (some of the info screens are a pain to get to though), and the channel selection for the price you pay is great too.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

If only YTTV could get the RSNs. Over at DTV Stream, they hiked up prices twice in a very short time, the second time rolling in unlimited dvr so it sorta evened out.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
The jankiest part of everyday YTTV use is dismissing the guide. Press back/menu to go back to the top, then up to select the title of the show currently playing, then select/OK. Or you can press the pause/play button twice, which is dumb because it pauses playback for a second and defeats the whole thing they're going for with the seamless overlay experience. I have no idea why they don't just rip off PS Vue (RIP) and have the guide fade away after a few seconds of inactivity... weird how Sony of all people got that aspect of the UI right.

Other than that, YTTV is great and you totally get what you pay for. It's especially nice if you're using the app on a smart TV that supports channel buttons on the remote, so an old like me can surf like it's 2002. Wish the Apple TV had that, but that's Apple's fault for forcing everyone to design a UI around no more than 6 button inputs.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Minidust posted:

The jankiest part of everyday YTTV use is dismissing the guide. Press back/menu to go back to the top, then up to select the title of the show currently playing, then select/OK. Or you can press the pause/play button twice, which is dumb because it pauses playback for a second and defeats the whole thing they're going for with the seamless overlay experience. I have no idea why they don't just rip off PS Vue (RIP) and have the guide fade away after a few seconds of inactivity... weird how Sony of all people got that aspect of the UI right.

Other than that, YTTV is great and you totally get what you pay for. It's especially nice if you're using the app on a smart TV that supports channel buttons on the remote, so an old like me can surf like it's 2002. Wish the Apple TV had that, but that's Apple's fault for forcing everyone to design a UI around no more than 6 button inputs.

True but it becomes muscle memory so fast

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse
Is there any way to quickly choose the last channel watched in YTTV? The web tells me there is but when I do what it says nothing happens.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Listerine posted:

Is there any way to quickly choose the last channel watched in YTTV? The web tells me there is but when I do what it says nothing happens.

If you press “down” during playback it brings up some suggested channels, and I think the previous channel is always first on the list.

It’s possible I’m misremembering, and it’s also possible that it behaves differently on different devices!

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Started the free trial on YouTube TV. Works just fine on my computer but I get the spinning wheel on my Sony TV (which runs Android of some sort).

It appears that this is not an uncommon problem. Next steps are to uninstall/reinstall the app a few times and see if that works (seems to per my google search). Not off to a strong start!

*Came back a few hours later and the "Wheel o' Death" has seemed to fix itself.

Hughmoris fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Feb 4, 2022

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Minidust posted:

If you press “down” during playback it brings up some suggested channels, and I think the previous channel is always first on the list.

It’s possible I’m misremembering, and it’s also possible that it behaves differently on different devices!

Yeah, your last channels appear there followed by suggestions.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Yeah, your last channels appear there followed by suggestions.

Not for me! Maybe I need to turn something on in the settings.

-Figured it out, I had Save Watch History turned off, I usually go for strict privacy settings so I must have done that when I signed up out of habit.

Listerine fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Feb 4, 2022

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

First time this has happened to me, we bought a movie on VUDU that is Movies Anywhere. Watched it in VUDU and then I went to YTTV in order to watch some basketball. The movie popped up in YTTV on the home Screen and said that I had purchased it.

Yeah, my YTTV log in is the same one that I connected to movies anywhere but I have never seen the movies pop up on YTTV before.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

They've been there for awhile actually. Maybe they are popping them up more prominently now

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I don't know if this has been mentioned but Spectrum has a deal with Peacock. If you get just Spectrum internet you can get 3 months of Peacock Premium (the ad supported $5 version) for free. If you have Spectrum Tv, you get a year.I have their cheapest tv package and got the free year so it does work.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Jose Oquendo posted:

I don't know if this has been mentioned but Spectrum has a deal with Peacock. If you get just Spectrum internet you can get 3 months of Peacock Premium (the ad supported $5 version) for free. If you have Spectrum Tv, you get a year.I have their cheapest tv package and got the free year so it does work.

Yeah, I discovered this today. They set your subscription to automatically renew though, so make sure to go into your settings and cancel it.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I’m signed up through Apple subscriptions but it looks like you can let that sub expire and then link your account

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I'm trying to set up a digital antenna. We've been getting live sports via underground streams, but my wife wants to watch the Olympics and I don't have a stream for that.

I got one of these things, as it seems to be a fairly reputable brand and the price was right. But I'm not getting, well, anything good.

I stuck it to the wall as far up as I possibly could, and I'm getting 18 channels in scans. Of these, one is PBS, which is ok I guess, and one is CBS, which WOULD be great, but if I try actually watching it I get a No Signal screen. The other 16 channels are weird bullshit. Like this. Why do I get this channel and not, like, Fox

I tried sticking the antenna to a perpendicular wall, and didn't fare any better. My antenna gets 35 miles of range, and I checked, we're about 24 miles away from 30 Rock as the crow flies. So I SHOULD be well within range of anything I want to watch.

My question is, what are possible reasons why I'm only getting bullshit channels, and is there anything I can do about it with my current hardware? Would getting a roof-mounted one help?

e: oh yeah, the wall my TV is up against is an interior wall, if that matters. The only exterior wall in that room is across from the TV, behind the couch.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Could be any number of reasons you’re getting interference. With antennas the usual cure is to start going up. Wall -> attic -> roof.

But if the only reason for this is to watch the olympics just sub to Peacock for a month. It gets all the channels plus individual events.

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
I moved last March and my AT&T discount is expiring in two weeks. Besides asking for the Retention Department and threatening to cancel, what are some other tips & tricks to retain my current monthly internet price + avoid the bullshit "equipment rental" fee?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

jabro posted:

Could be any number of reasons you’re getting interference. With antennas the usual cure is to start going up. Wall -> attic -> roof.

But if the only reason for this is to watch the olympics just sub to Peacock for a month. It gets all the channels plus individual events.

Yeah, I'm going to second that. Paying for a month of Peacock is going to be way less hassle than figuring out how to get an occlusion-free signal.

However, for the future this site will help you aim toward the transmitters you want. I use it in conjunction with the compass app on my phone to aim.

https://www.antennasdirect.com/transmitter-locator.html

If you're looking for a perm setup (and you own your own house), I'd recommend mounting one of these bad boys on a pole in the attic (It says outdoor but it will work fine in an attic)

https://store.antennasdirect.com/DB8e-Outdoor-DTV-Antenna.html

I set one of these up for my parents. The nice thing is you can aim each "wing" at completely different transmission sources. So they can pick up channels with one set pointed at Raleigh and the other pointed toward Chapel Hill.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Yeah I should clarify that the Olympics was the catalyst for this attempt, but a long-term solution for watching at least a little bit of live TV would be great to figure out. I'll take a look into the attic rig, thanks :tipshat:

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Is snaking coaxial cable from an attic antenna down into my living room, like, possible for a layman or am I just gonna get myself trapped in my wall or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
PSA for anyone in the U.S. watching the Olympics on Peacock. I thought the lack of commentary on a lot of the replay videos was odd. Turns out you have to scroll a bit through the "Featured" menu (location varies between apps/platforms) and look for the "NBC Coverage" or "USA Network Coverage" subsections. That'll get you to the primetime broadcast stuff, if that's what you're looking for (I'm sure some will prefer the relative calm of the international versions).

My wife was getting real annoyed trying to find all this, to the point that she suggested reactivating YTTV for a month. Good job Peacock!! :thumbsup: