Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of, has there been any word on another Lupin movie being in development at the moment out of curiosity? Assuming it follows the pattern of the last two the current season is a little more than halfway through by now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Tabletops posted:

most of it for me in JoJo is the characters. the Character designs for baki are just ... bad? like the other end of the ridiculous body proportions/anatomy spectrum from jojo, where both are ridiculous but one is kind of hideous and the other is just goofy and weird

I have that problem trying to read it compared to something boring and safe like Kengan Ashura or Record of Ragnarok. It's too exaggerated, makes me uncomfortable to look at it.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Larryb posted:

Speaking of, has there been any word on another Lupin movie being in development at the moment out of curiosity? Assuming it follows the pattern of the last two the current season is a little more than halfway through by now.

Nothing official though I wouldn't be surprised if a new Koike movie gets announced this year since it has usually been about 2-3 years between each movie. Even despite the possible covid delays, if they don't announce a new Koike movie by the end of the year I'll be concerned though.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Srice posted:

Nothing official though I wouldn't be surprised if a new Koike movie gets announced this year since it has usually been about 2-3 years between each movie. Even despite the possible covid delays, if they don't announce a new Koike movie by the end of the year I'll be concerned though.

Makes sense. Wonder if the next film will be CG like The First was or if they’ll switch back to traditional animation

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Larryb posted:

Makes sense. Wonder if the next film will be CG like The First was or if they’ll switch back to traditional animation

If I had to guess I'd say it'd be like Doraemon which had a few CG movies by the same director as The First but they went back to traditional animation when he wasn't involved.

Though I suppose The First and Fujiko Mine's Lie both came out in the same year so if they wanna put a CG and a traditional animated movie out in the same year again I'd be pretty happy about that!

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I actually didn’t know Fujiko Mine’s Lie existed until today, I assume it’s good?

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Yea it's pretty much on par with the rest of the Koike movies so it's good stuff.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

The whole point of AMV Hell was to parody AMVs, while this is just a regular AMV.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

IS IT BACK YET

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib

Yes, that is correct.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Can I ask for Netflix martial arts anime recs? I’ve watched both Baki shows and Kengan Ashura. I like the style backstory stuff, Baki’s exaggeration of MA training and KA’s b-plot trappings were surprisingly warm. Baki Hanma was pretty terrible. I like how they lean into the MA tournament genre in fun ways, though they also pick up the racist stereotypes. Not as overt as say Bloodsport, but still enough to be tired. And KA had some underage weirdness I wish anime would leave behind.

Anyways, just finished KA. What else is good?

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

ThePopeOfFun posted:

Anyways, just finished KA. What else is good?

Danberu Nan-Kiro Moteru?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Srice posted:

Yea it's pretty much on par with the rest of the Koike movies so it's good stuff.

Just watched it myself and yeah, it’s good (slightly on the short side though). Also apparently it’s connected to Fujiko’s previous solo series as well.

Off the subject, a manga adaptation of the Inuyasha sequel Yashahime has been going on for a little while now:

https://screenrant.com/inuyasha-yashahime-manga-adaptation/amp/

No official translation is available but a fan one is. Seems it takes a slightly different direction from the anime and is a little better in terms of characterization it seems.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Jan 29, 2022

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Xun posted:

IS IT BACK YET

😔

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

Larryb posted:

Just watched it myself and yeah, it’s good (slightly on the short side though). Also apparently it’s connected to Fujiko’s previous solo series as well.

Off the subject, a manga adaptation of the Inuyasha sequel Yashahime has been going on for a little while now:

https://screenrant.com/inuyasha-yashahime-manga-adaptation/amp/

No official translation is available but a fan one is. Seems it takes a slightly different direction from the anime and is a little better in terms of characterization it seems.

It's hilarious as poo poo to me that no one gives two shits about Sesshomaru or his kids, but as soon as Inuyasha/Kagome or Moroha are involved it trends on Twitter

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

It's almost as if Towa and Setsuna have the charisma of a wet paper bag.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
kyousougiga made me cry

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Willo567 posted:

It's hilarious as poo poo to me that no one gives two shits about Sesshomaru or his kids, but as soon as Inuyasha/Kagome or Moroha are involved it trends on Twitter

Also from what I understand the manga is actually better than the anime by most accounts if you feel like giving it another try (like I said, there are fan translations available and they seem to have a pretty steady release schedule)

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
It's unlikely anything will dethrone Revstar for me any time soon, but there's no longer a big gap between my fave and second fave of the shows I've watched this last year

Shoujo Kageki Revue Starlight
Gekijou Shoujo Kageki Revue Starlight (movie)
Kyousougiga
(big gap)
Revolutionary Girl Utena (final third)
Yuuki Yuuna is a Hero (season two)
Akanesasu Shoujo
Blue Reflection: Ray
Selector Infected Wixoss
Adolescence of Utena (movie)
Yuuki Yuuna is a Hero (season one)
Granbelm
Selector Spread Wixoss
Revolutionary Girl Utena (first third)
(big gap)
Senki Zesshou Symphogear
Revolution Girl Utena (middle third)
(big gap)
Yuuki Yuuna is a Hero (season three)

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

kyousougiga made me cry

It’s a really sweet story

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
At first the stuff at the end caught me by surprise and felt a bit dissonant but the more I think about it the more I realize that the story beats that come at the end have to come after a beginning like what we got

A story that's (in part) about viewing your parents with adult eyes and re-evaluating your relationship with them, has to start by having the audience view them only through a child's uncritical viewpoint, and hear their childish beliefs on who their parents are, because the contrast between that and what you see later is the whole point

Obviously it's a complex story with a lot of interrelated themes, but the part about transitioning between relating to your parents as a child and relating to them as an adult is the part that struck me the hardest

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

http://web.archive.org/web/20150612094827/http://a.pomf.se/fbjkgt.webm

Now read these subs for the OP's lyrics.

Every time I hear that voice I know,
I remember all the laughter
That defined my youth.

'Cause I would have been glad to call home
Any of the places where I happened to roam.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
kyousougiga's music also rules cause it's done by a guy who did a bunch of awesome old namco game osts including tales of legendia and ace combat 3d. if you liked

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OoES3gvh3CQ

then know he does a song like that for almost literally every single ost he works on. yes, he did two different songs like this, for mr. driller

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bt1F4Pgp6fQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aeHPjij2f0o

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

The Colonel posted:

kyousougiga's music also rules cause it's done by a guy who did a bunch of awesome old namco game osts including tales of legendia and ace combat 3d. if you liked

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OoES3gvh3CQ

then know he does a song like that for almost literally every single ost he works on. yes, he did two different songs like this, for mr. driller

yeah I was thinking about the music a lot. The orchestral music and seeming lack of repeat plays made it feel a lot like a movie score. Combined with the animation feeling like it didn't rely on the usual trick to cut corners, or at least hid them a hell of a lot better than usual, and a general feeling like the art style was a lot closer to disney than to most anime, and I felt like I was watching a ten-episode movie, in a good way.

Endorph posted:

Now read these subs for the OP's lyrics.

Every time I hear that voice I know,
I remember all the laughter
That defined my youth.

'Cause I would have been glad to call home
Any of the places where I happened to roam.

I'm probably dumb but I don't get how the last two lines you quotes fit into it

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

oh those lines dont fit explicitly into the adult self vs childhood self thing more just the general family theme. they mean 'call home' as in 'call back home' not 'live there,'

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Endorph posted:

oh those lines dont fit explicitly into the adult self vs childhood self thing more just the general family theme. they mean 'call home' as in 'call back home' not 'live there,'

oh yeah that meaning makes a lot more sense

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Do Japanese people like the sopranos

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

Stairmaster posted:

i know they like power puff girls if the anime and that love live collab is anything to go by

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
https://twitter.com/VerbalTwo/status/1487829274707079174?t=ked0hqEtrinPv72_WvA0wg&s=19

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Stairmaster posted:

Yes.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Let Jack Chick tracts die like they deserve

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

cool

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Xun posted:

IS IT BACK YET

hahah

hah

:negative:

marumaru
May 20, 2013

"endless eight was a true tour de force to make the audience feel like the characters in suzumiya did"

haruko ichikawa: watch this

marumaru
May 20, 2013

https://twitter.com/IchikawaArtwork/status/1433655998808567813

i miss it so much ughh
might end up just rereading

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Paracelsus posted:

Danberu Nan-Kiro Moteru?

THERE'S A FUCKIN DANBERU ANIME NOW??? :stare:

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

I. M. Gei posted:

You're like 2 1/2 years late...
You should read the seasonal threads. :wink:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I. M. Gei posted:

Yeah, people liked it. Probably for the same reasons they liked the manga.