Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oberndorf
Oct 20, 2010

Concordia Publishing House has long had a very good series of them. I have one in ESV and one in NIV. You can probably get them used for cheap, since they retail new for $60-80.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Soteriology
Mar 1, 2020
Thanks for the recs, friends. i like the 2 in margins on the journal edition of the Lutheran Study Bible, but yea its pricey, and at that price point, i would prefer to get all the things im looking for (at least 9 point font, thumb indexing, NKJV) i think the most expedient thing is to just get a composition notebook and use that for my notes with the bibles i already have.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Create your own!

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

WrenP-Complete posted:

Create your own!

Religion thread: Create your own!

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I bought a really cheap bible that I can scribble all over just so I won't be tempted to make notes in any of my nice ones. the only real journal bible with big margins I have is an NIV though and dang it, I don't like the NIV.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

https://www.lifeway.com/en/product/nkjv-journal-the-word-bible-large-print-cloth-over-board-blue-floral-red-letter-edition-P006133606

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.

Slimy Hog posted:

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Slimy Hog posted:

Finally its my time to shine

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
It's not a real study bible, but I can never recommend strongly enough William Barclay's "Daily Study Bible" series.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

Slimy Hog posted:

I appreciate this message of welcoming all religions, no matter how small.

As an aside, I'm having some struggles. Hindus are supposed to follow ahimsa, non-harming. Naturally a lot of Hindus don't eat meat, which is understandable, even though often in the texts people do. I have some crappy genetic stuff going on in my family and only absorb iron well from meat. Supplements and veggies don't do nearly as well, this has been confirmed by doctors, and I really don't want to fight with anemia the rest of my life. Besides that I feel like it's a natural order of things for humans to eat meat. I was already moving to only buy meat from local farmers that I know treat their animals well, because that's the only ethical way I can see to eat an animal, with minimal pain possible. That said, it still weighs on me when I'm sitting here eating a piece of something that was a cow. Anyone have advice for reconciling their religious beliefs and their health and personal ideals? I'm new to this and it has been bothering me quite a bit more than I thought it would.

I'd appreciate insights from any religions, not just followers of Sanātana Dharma. Apologies for the wall of text!

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

I am an ethical vegan for religious reasons, but I will always, always, always make an exception for medical stuff, for myself (other people's boundaries are their own to determine). I cannot continue to make a change in the world if I do not maintain my own health.

Perhaps there is something else you can do to practice your ideals, while still maintaining your well being. Donate your time to an animal shelter, or donate food/materials/money to a shelter or sanctuary. Donate to conservation groups. Plant a wildlife garden. Anything along those lines.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

I like that idea. I've always felt terribly bad even harming bugs, and end up chasing my husband and roommates away from killing spiders. There is a wildlife center that I plan on volunteering for when they're taking people again. It's a wonderful place that does good work for the native critters. I also have bee/butterfly garden plans for spring. I'll have help from my native roommate, he knows a lot more than I do about the plants around here.

Thank you for the kind ideas, and the understanding, I appreciate both very much.

Barry Soteriology
Mar 1, 2020

this is awesome, thank you

Mr. Wiggles posted:

It's not a real study bible, but I can never recommend strongly enough William Barclay's "Daily Study Bible" series.

this is also awesome, i will have to check it out sometime

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Scathach posted:

I like that idea. I've always felt terribly bad even harming bugs, and end up chasing my husband and roommates away from killing spiders. There is a wildlife center that I plan on volunteering for when they're taking people again. It's a wonderful place that does good work for the native critters. I also have bee/butterfly garden plans for spring. I'll have help from my native roommate, he knows a lot more than I do about the plants around here.

Thank you for the kind ideas, and the understanding, I appreciate both very much.

That sounds really lovely! Please post pics of butterflies in here when you get them.

I was thinking too - if you abstain from meat, then that's doing harm as well, isn't it? To yourself. I don't know how you'd calculate the 'least harm' done in this case but that's surely worth considering. You're important too.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

HopperUK posted:

That sounds really lovely! Please post pics of butterflies in here when you get them.

I was thinking too - if you abstain from meat, then that's doing harm as well, isn't it? To yourself. I don't know how you'd calculate the 'least harm' done in this case but that's surely worth considering. You're important too.

It's a common ethical conundrum among ethical vegans, religious or otherwise, though typically mostly with medications and the like. Most people basically come down to the opinion "You can't do anyone any good if you're sick or dead." You can't do anything good anymore for yourself, for other people, for the animals, for the environment, if you're too sick to function, or dead. Making one choice that isn't the most....'compassionate' to others will allow you to remain healthy enough to make those choices in other situations.

How far someone takes it is their own personal choice. Some people will hardcore research into things to find alternatives that are as in line with vegan standards as possible and try to get those that exist, some will just roll with it and do what their doctors suggest. Some avoid medicine and the such as much as they can, though those sorts often have their....own issues (antivaxxers are currently a huge problem in the communities). They're all valid options, and don't make some else weak, a failure, a sinner, whatever, because they took them.

Desiring to be perfect, to do the least amount of harm, to always do right can cause as much suffering as anything else. It causes pain when you fail, and even the happiness it brings is only temporary. We can only do the best we can, accept mistakes will be made, that sometimes there is no perfect choice.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

We sometimes get into conversations with folk who need to avoid gelatin as part of their religious practise, but need a medication that is only available as capsules, which mostly contain gelatin. It's always really tricky for them to work out what is best to do and we just try to be supportive.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

You also should consider that pest animals/insects are killed for the sake of farming plants, and humans are harmed in the growing/harvesting/packing. It's not possible to engage with modern food supply chains without being party to harming something and it's quite possible that in many cases eating meat harms less living beings than substituting it for a plant-based protein.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

Slimy Hog posted:

I tried this once. It got as far as a Facebook page and the hex-nut "brand" on my ankle required for "clergy". I was 20, dont @ me :negative:

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Organza Quiz posted:

You also should consider that pest animals/insects are killed for the sake of farming plants, and humans are harmed in the growing/harvesting/packing. It's not possible to engage with modern food supply chains without being party to harming something and it's quite possible that in many cases eating meat harms less living beings than substituting it for a plant-based protein.

There Is No Ethical Consumption In Capitalism Samsara

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Scathach posted:

I appreciate this message of welcoming all religions, no matter how small.

As an aside, I'm having some struggles. Hindus are supposed to follow ahimsa, non-harming. Naturally a lot of Hindus don't eat meat, which is understandable, even though often in the texts people do. I have some crappy genetic stuff going on in my family and only absorb iron well from meat. Supplements and veggies don't do nearly as well, this has been confirmed by doctors, and I really don't want to fight with anemia the rest of my life. Besides that I feel like it's a natural order of things for humans to eat meat. I was already moving to only buy meat from local farmers that I know treat their animals well, because that's the only ethical way I can see to eat an animal, with minimal pain possible. That said, it still weighs on me when I'm sitting here eating a piece of something that was a cow. Anyone have advice for reconciling their religious beliefs and their health and personal ideals? I'm new to this and it has been bothering me quite a bit more than I thought it would.

I'd appreciate insights from any religions, not just followers of Sanātana Dharma. Apologies for the wall of text!

When Devadatta tried to force his splinter sect of monks to abstain from meat entirely buddha said that the prohibition should be encouraged but not a requirement due in part to people maybe needing to eat meat for their health.

This is relevant despite your conversation being about Hinduism because modern Hindu belief as I recall is that applying ahimsa to animals was introduced by the Buddha acting as 8th incarnation of Vishnu since in ancient times Hindus regularly and well-documentedly ritually sacrificed animals .

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

An interesting fact I recently learned of is the problem of anemia in women. I was looking up something totally unrelated but they went over how women, due to menstruation and pregnancy-related stuff, are really prone to anemia and this was a big problem in medieval Europe because poor people just didn't have much meat to eat. This is still a problem in modern India due to economic and religious reasons for not eating much meat. Anemia is of course bad for the mother but really bad for the child.

This is just not something I've ever heard in vegan debates I've watched...and I've seen way too many. I wish people recognized contingencies and differences instead of trying to enforce universal laws.

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

When Devadatta tried to force his splinter sect of monks to abstain from meat entirely buddha said that the prohibition should be encouraged but not a requirement due in part to people maybe needing to eat meat for their health.

This is relevant despite your conversation being about Hinduism because modern Hindu belief as I recall is that applying ahimsa to animals was introduced by the Buddha acting as 8th incarnation of Vishnu since in ancient times Hindus regularly and well-documentedly ritually sacrificed animals .

Its practicality has always attracted me to Buddhism. Different people have different needs, physical and spiritual. In particular it's why I admire Honen and Shinran so much.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jan 29, 2022

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Many people will do fine on a healthy plant based diet, if they keep on top of it, and use a multivitamin to cover the gaps. Lack of access to iron rich foods, and vitamin c to increase absorption can be a problem. AFAB people need to keep more on top of it, generally, and there are some who have more issues because of health problems, but for many people, it's doable.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Many, but not even close to all.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Tias posted:

Many, but not even close to all.

Yes, this. Basically the reasoning it probably hasn't come up in NikkolasKing's experiences is that the vegan communities, at least online, are dominated by people who don't experience food insecurity on a regular basis, or conditions that would cause those problems.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Organza Quiz posted:

Generally not.

Most of the commodity grain production is for animal feed. So when the elevator conveyor belt explodes a pigeon resting on the belt when it starts up, basically all that corn or soy is going to meat consumption.

BattyKiara
Mar 17, 2009
I have a similar problem. For medical reasons, I am not allowed to donate blood. I have severe anaemia, and some other stuff going on. Every time there is a blood drive, be it in a workplace, or media campaigns looking for more blood donors, I feel like I'm a terrible person, for refusing. Sometimes the social pressure kind be overwhelming, and I end up hating myself even more. But I'm also very much NOT comfortable with disclosing my medical problems with random people. My wish would be a better balance between "donating blood is really important" and "It's perfectly OK to say No, none of my business, no questions asked".

You are NOT a bad person for needing to eat meat! Try to stick to meat from as ethically treated animals as possible? Or limit yourself to meat x numbers of days a week/meals a day?

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

IMO pigeons should be left out of this conversation because they have no sense of self-preservation and I have to scoop one out my wastewater treatment system at least twice a month

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

As Jesus said, "The Sabbath was made for Man, not Man for the Sabbath." As with medicine, the first rule of religion is "do no harm."

Jews aren't supposed to work on the Sabbath, but pulling your ox out of a ditch (or treating someone having a heart attack) is still OK.

If you're allergic to bread, you shouldn't eat it as part of communion.

Life comes first and is more important than any rules or rites. Respect the spirit and intent of them, and follow them as closely as possible - but the health and safety of you and those around you has to be the highest priority.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

My take is that you should eat the meat but do it mindfully. (I still eat meat myself though I try to minimize it.) Having a grass-fed burger twice a week for your iron levels is a compromise but that's life for you, especially if you are otherwise keeping a vegetarian diet. (e: this doesn't mean it needs to be some austerity thing so much as, unless that is your need, this isn't a reason to have a beef steak for dinner every night.)

You would want to keep an eye on emerging replacements or substitutes, of course. It sounds as though you might not benefit from plant-based meat replacements but I know the Impossible Burger in particular is using some kind of heme compound they derive from soy; and it is far from impossible there would be cloned meat available for not-completely-ridiculous prices in the not too distant future, in which case you might prefer that. (I say 'might' because that one is a judgment call; I would prefer it, because there are either no dead animals, or there were only a few originally.)

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
It's going to be an interesting situation when vat meat becomes a normal thing. It may solve issues for some, though I imagine that many others will see it as cheating.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

I would love to be able to eat cloned meat. I think it's a fantastic thing that I hope is available in my lifetime. I'd absolutely prefer it as long as it can do the same stuff for me uncloned meat does.

Thank y'all for your wonderful thought-out responses. I really appreciate the suggestions and plenty of things I didn't consider myself.

And I will absolutely post butterfly pictures. There's some kind of flower my hippie neighbor's elderly dad did research on years ago that's good for the bees. I forget what they're called, but they're purple and fluffy and make fantastic tea. He has a garden of them. I plan on planting them in a large patch in the yard for the pollinators.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Jan 29, 2022

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

D34THROW posted:

I tried this once. It got as far as a Facebook page and the hex-nut "brand" on my ankle required for "clergy". I was 20, dont @ me :negative:

I want you to know I'm laughing at you a little bit right now. But it's a kind chuckle, because I had some friends who did similar dumb stuff in their 20s. "Hex nut brand" just strikes a very specific chord with me.

edit: at least it wasn't a coat-wire brand on your shoulder. I know someone who thought they'd be able to get this cool intricate design and just got a gnarly splotchy scar.

edit 2: both of the above options are still better than some of the kitchen table tattoos. At least the burns you can just shrug and mumble a lie about an accident when you were a kid or something. The bic pen ink tattoos don't have that fig leaf.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Mr. Wiggles posted:

It's going to be an interesting situation when vat meat becomes a normal thing. It may solve issues for some, though I imagine that many others will see it as cheating.

The fake meats are pretty good now. Impossible and beyond make great burgers. Honestly I prefer the beyond to anything but a good grass fed now. The impossible nuggets, those can straight up pass as chicken nuggets if you don’t tell a person.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Bar Ran Dun posted:

The fake meats are pretty good now. Impossible and beyond make great burgers. Honestly I prefer the beyond to anything but a good grass fed now. The impossible nuggets, those can straight up pass as chicken nuggets if you don’t tell a person.

I was pretty impressed with the SIMULATE Nuggs, myself. They're not as good as like...a quality chicken nugget. But sometimes I want....McDonalds tier fast food nuggets, and they are pretty on point for that.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

Cyrano4747 posted:

I want you to know I'm laughing at you a little bit right now. But it's a kind chuckle, because I had some friends who did similar dumb stuff in their 20s. "Hex nut brand" just strikes a very specific chord with me.

Please laugh away, I do when i look back :v: It involved a random found brass hex nut that i based the logo off of, a pair of needlenose pliers, and a lighter that I did vaguely pyromaniac things with even though I was not a smoker.

I called it Aginism and its core tenet was essentially that works alonr would ensure salvation and a place in heaven - basically strike a "positive" balance on the karmic scale and you're golden. It...was a very rough time in my life.

So yes. Giggle your heart out! I dont even have the scar anymore.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

D34THROW posted:

Please laugh away, I do when i look back :v: It involved a random found brass hex nut that i based the logo off of, a pair of needlenose pliers, and a lighter that I did vaguely pyromaniac things with even though I was not a smoker.

Oh, I knew EXACTLY what you were talking about, although in my mind it involved at least a butane torch.

Which, frankly, is probably for the best as only having a bic is probably why you don't have a scar.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

D34THROW posted:

I called it Aginism and its core tenet was essentially that works alonr would ensure salvation and a place in heaven - basically strike a "positive" balance on the karmic scale and you're golden. It...was a very rough time in my life.

So yes. Giggle your heart out! I dont even have the scar anymore.

I want to let you know I think this story is actually really fun. Especially because that core tenet is I think how a lot of people hope is the way it'll shake out if any kind of salvation is real and necessary. It sounds like you were really close to starting one of those fundraising clubs, with branding I guess

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2004/jul/15/highereducation.artsandhumanities

Sheesh, apparently medieval monks ingested 4,500 calories a day while fasting. I could probably eat until I burst without eating that much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.

TOOT BOOT posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2004/jul/15/highereducation.artsandhumanities

Sheesh, apparently medieval monks ingested 4,500 calories a day while fasting. I could probably eat until I burst without eating that much.

I was easily the heaviest guy when I was at the monastery, with only four or five other guys (out of 90+) being obese themselves. They even listed the calories for every item at meals and had a permanently posted poster for determining serving size using your hand as reference. A change for the better.