Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

EA Sports posted:

i try csgo once a month and almost everytime im in a game with a hacker. idk if its me or valves anticheat just not being up to snuff anymore but i rarely play more than a few games cause once i see hacking bullshit i quit again.

Yeah, there's been a ton of bots on the servers for the couple years. They are probably being used to farm skins for money laundering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

the quake champions stuff is not that bad in play, mostly just a quesiotn of why do it at all, however i dont think thats why theres no playerbase. most people dont want to get absolutely obliterated by quake players while they try to learn and its not the games fault, its that gamers are now giant babies for example:

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Valorant is a game where almost every character is one that I wouldn't want to play if they were in a different game. The abilities are based mostly on sight lines or gaining information rather than something that feels more directly impactful, mostly stuff like deploying smoke screens or sentry cameras in 20 different variations. You also can't aim unless you're standing still, which is probably more accurate to real life but not fun to actually play.

Maybe if you played a bunch of Counterstrike it would feel more natural but I bounced off it hard. At least it's free so there's nothing to lose from giving it a try.

simple things such as abilities thath rely on heavily on game sense and map knowledge rather than just damage are deemed boring and fail. mechanics which increase the skill ceiling by making the combat more technical are "not fun" its a miracle quake champions has strafe jumping at all given todays gamers.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

ok boomer

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

shooter

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

i dont think u can call valorant or fortnite boomer shooters really

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
theyre boomer shooters for zoomers who are nostalgic about old school games

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Beat Chorus last night and had a good time, even though space games aren’t my jam. Though I wish there were more larger scale battles other than the final fight. The rite powers made it a solid shooter - it was a blast drifting, rootin, tootin, stealing shields and snatching enemy ships right out of the sky to fling around as weapons.

With the sale, should I pick up Encased or Wildermyth to play next?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I think Wildermyth is a cool idea but I didnt enjoy playing it. I don't really enjoy games that put a time limit on progression though, esp one where the enemy gets very strong very quickly

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
In my experience the time pressure in Wildermyth is a lie, you can full clear every map in every chapter and still do fine.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem
I haven't played Encased, but Wildermyth is really awesome. The combat/tactics stuff is really fun and the story stuff is just extremely well realized. I don't think I've ever played another game with randomly generated characters where I've cared about them like in Wildermyth.

Agreed, the time pressure is less of a big deal than it seems on the surface.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
I guess if I need to expand my options, Marvel’s Guardians of the Galaxy, Yakuza: Like a Dragon, and Deathloop are also on my list

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Just finished Expeditions: Rome and holy poo poo I loved almost every damned minute of it. It was a real hoot seeing the game's alternate history play out, and the tactical combat is just :syoon: That said, Act 3 seems somewhat underdeveloped, or maybe it's just that friggin' Gaul is so drat big, a lot of time is spent just going from point A to B. Oddly enough, Act 2 seems the most-developed part of the game to me. There's also the nature of pacification missions, which must be done in order to fully conquer a province- you aren't allowed to bring your MC, and only one of your companions can lead the squad, which means you'll need to rely on a bunch of rando Legionnaires (which you can kit out, to be fair) to do your dirty work for you.

Still though, the tactical combat's great, the story's pretty cool (especially if you go mostly ahistorical- after all, the game's doing it, why not you?*), and it's very easy to grasp. Definitely worth full price, if you ask me.

*Seriously, the ending with becoming Caesar Invictus with Mithridates and Cleopatra dead, and Vercingetorix retiring peacefully in Gaul? I think I somehow lucked into the Golden Ending without even meaning to :allears:

CommissarMega fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Jan 30, 2022

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Stux posted:

the quake champions stuff is not that bad in play, mostly just a quesiotn of why do it at all, however i dont think thats why theres no playerbase. most people dont want to get absolutely obliterated by quake players while they try to learn and its not the games fault, its that gamers are now giant babies for example:

simple things such as abilities thath rely on heavily on game sense and map knowledge rather than just damage are deemed boring and fail. mechanics which increase the skill ceiling by making the combat more technical are "not fun" its a miracle quake champions has strafe jumping at all given todays gamers.

information-based scanner-type abilities in games are really cool + fun but valorant still sucks anyways

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Ragequit posted:

I guess if I need to expand my options, Marvel’s Guardians of the Galaxy, Yakuza: Like a Dragon, and Deathloop are also on my list

Yakuza

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

CommissarMega posted:

Just finished Expeditions: Rome and holy poo poo I loved almost every damned minute of it. It was a real hoot seeing the game's alternate history play out, and the tactical combat is just :syoon: That said, Act 3 seems somewhat underdeveloped, or maybe it's just that friggin' Gaul is so drat big, a lot of time is spent just going from point A to B. Oddly enough, Act 2 seems the most-developed part of the game to me. There's also the nature of pacification missions, which must be done in order to fully conquer a province- you aren't allowed to bring your MC, and only one of your companions can lead the squad, which means you'll need to rely on a bunch of rando Legionnaires (which you can kit out, to be fair) to do your dirty work for you.

Still though, the tactical combat's great, the story's pretty cool (especially if you go mostly ahistorical- after all, the game's doing it, why not you?*), and it's very easy to grasp. Definitely worth full price, if you ask me.

*Seriously, the ending with becoming Caesar Invictus with Mithridates and Cleopatra dead, and Vercingetorix retiring peacefully in Gaul? I think I somehow lucked into the Golden Ending without even meaning to :allears:

I agree with this. I had my gripes and I ranted about Act 3 being a pretty low point but I thought the game wrapped up pretty well despite Act 3 being not that well written. It's funny (ending spoilers) that doing the right thing and disbanding the legion gets either you or your companions killed. Only way to save yourself them all minus Syneros who did the dumb thing of shoving random food down his gob is to outright attack a Dictator and get your rear end exiled. Marching on Rome, on the other hand, let's you save them all.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

information-based scanner-type abilities in games are really cool + fun but valorant still sucks anyways

it owns how apex has a bunch of characters with bombastic abilities that do stuff like blow up a gigantic area and theyre all completely worthless in comparison to "jump pad" and "shield" and "tags enemies" lol

Zathril
Nov 12, 2011
I hadn't heard of the Expeditions games before now, are the previous ones good?

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Jimbot posted:

I agree with this. I had my gripes and I ranted about Act 3 being a pretty low point but I thought the game wrapped up pretty well despite Act 3 being not that well written. It's funny (ending spoilers) that doing the right thing and disbanding the legion gets either you or your companions killed. Only way to save yourself them all minus Syneros who did the dumb thing of shoving random food down his gob is to outright attack a Dictator and get your rear end exiled. Marching on Rome, on the other hand, let's you save them all.

I think if there's one big failing with the game's story, is that it definitely pushes you towards the 'Rome needs a strongman' narrative; the ending slides for becoming an Emperor even mentions that 'Rome was always an Empire looking for an Emperor'. Don't get me wrong, I went with the Emperor ending first because hell, it's feckin' Rome, you can't have Rome without an Emperor, right? Then I tried going for the Republic ending, and I couldn't stand that smug bastard smugging it up so much I just quit to main menu :shobon:

That said, there is a narrative reason for it I suppose. Lurco's a career Senator who's used to playing by and manipulating the rules, while you're a soldier and a merchant, so of course he'd outplay you as long as you're playing the same game. In such a case, I suppose the best course of action would be to flip the board and march into Rome. I had Caesar's sword on me at the time, I'm sure he'd have appreciated it :v:

That said, I read somewhere that if you are capable of stomaching Cleopatra's attitude enough to romance her, then you can attack Lurco and flee to Egypt where you secure its independence. Second playthrough goals I guess!

CommissarMega fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Jan 30, 2022

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

Ragequit posted:

I'm really enjoying Marvel’s Guardians of the Galaxy on the PS5 right now. I've heard Yakuza's really good. I've yet to play Deathloop though.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Zathril posted:

I hadn't heard of the Expeditions games before now, are the previous ones good?

Expeditions: Conquistador is the first game in the series, and while I thought it was pretty good at the time, it's certainly showing both its age and the newness of its devs. Expeditions: Viking was the next game in the series, and very good, though there is a bit of a time limit, so that might be a dealbreaker. I might replay it though, since it's been a while and I might be looking at it through rose-coloured glasses. The latest game is Expeditions: Rome, and I think it's fairly obvious I really liked it! Hell, I'm going to start a second playthrough right after I post this, it's got me hooked so bad!

EDIT: It's so hard to NOT select the easiest difficulty setting knowing what I do now :v:

CommissarMega fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Jan 30, 2022

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Ragequit posted:

Of these, I've only played Yakuza. It's really good though.

That said, it's very different from the previous titles. It's got a new protagonist and a new combat system. Takes a while to get used to both, but by the end I really enjoyed both.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

CommissarMega posted:

I think if there's one big failing with the game's story, is that it definitely pushes you towards the 'Rome needs a strongman' narrative; the ending slides for becoming an Emperor even mentions that 'Rome was always an Empire looking for an Emperor'. Don't get me wrong, I went with the Emperor ending first because hell, it's feckin' Rome, you can't have Rome without an Emperor, right? Then I tried going for the Republic ending, and I couldn't stand that smug bastard smugging it up so much I just quit to main menu :shobon:

That said, there is a narrative reason for it I suppose. Lurco's a career Senator who's used to playing by and manipulating the rules, while you're a soldier and a merchant, so of course he'd outplay you as long as you're playing the same game. In such a case, I suppose the best course of action would be to flip the board and march into Rome. I had Caesar's sword on me at the time, I'm sure he'd have appreciated it :v:

That said, I read somewhere that if you are capable of stomaching Cleopatra's attitude enough to romance her, then you can attack Lurco and flee to Egypt where you secure its independence. Second playthrough goals I guess!

Honestly, the Roman Republic and the Empire really weren't all the different for the average Roman. Instead of two shitheads voted in office by a small portion of the population you got one shithead running things for life, which wasn't too long because they'd end up assassinated. So them going "It was an empire waiting for an Empire" sounds about right to me. It also sounds like they didn't want to judge you for your choices and make each one make you feel good about it. Also, good luck with Cleopatra. The moment I had the chance to murder her I did that. Not only were the indigenous tribes so well written I really empathized with them. Every barb they had towards my Roman character I was all "yeah, this is all true. I agree. We suck." so when the lady asked me to murder Cleopatra I was all too happy to oblige, because she was just too arrogant for my taste and it meant they'd have autonomy from the likes of her and her brother. There's only so much bullshit arrogance I could take in that chapter. She was an amazing character that you loved to hate. But yes, Act 3 was Act 2 but way worse. Beat for beat you followed Act 2 but in shittier ways. Oh hey, super friendly guy. You're obviously going to betray me because the friendly guy in Act 2 did so but wasn't so obvious about it. Syneros even has something to say about that betrayal too.

It's why I didn't like the writing there. Between chapters it felt like your character didn't learn anything. Then playing and being at the mercy of the antagonist. It felt lovely, I was mad at the game for forcing me to walk into the most obvious trap and Gaul was too big with only narrow paths to travel through (and just about every world even gave you a negative). Playing as a woman character kind of worsens these flaws because the game doesn't shy away with the casual sexism. So falling for this poo poo kind of justifies "it's a man's world" junk you are reminded of by the NPCs on the occasion. It's why I said the game took me out of it and I realized the kind of game it was. I thought I'd have a bit more agency with some stuff but the illusion is shattered when that happened.

Expeditions: Viking is very good. I'd play that one first because it's done. It also doesn't have as good encounter design so going from Rome to that might show its age more than it does. But it's very open-ended. You're a thane in that game and your whole purpose is to build up your settlement and consolidate power so it doesn't get taken over by a rival at the moot. You can accomplish it in any way you want - through trade or conquest.

Jimbot fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Jan 30, 2022

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

kazil posted:

Of these, I've only played Yakuza. It's really good though.

That said, it's very different from the previous titles. It's got a new protagonist and a new combat system. Takes a while to get used to both, but by the end I really enjoyed both.

I’ve never played a Yakuza game, but the over the top turned based action looked like chaotic fun

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Ragequit posted:

I’ve never played a Yakuza game, but the over the top turned based action looked like chaotic fun

Oh well then you should buy Yakuza 0 instead, then.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Ragequit posted:

Deathloop was pretty disappointing. The core gameplay is fun, but there is really only 2 ways to kill most of your targets. Also, it spends a bunch of time developing this elaborate backstory for the setting, but its basically completely irrelevant to the current events of the game, and nothing is actually done with the backstory.

I'd recommend Yakuza Like A Dragon instead. Its a really fun JRPG, and the new combat system lets the game do crazier battles than what could be done with a normal Yakuza game.

Guardians of the Galaxy is also good. It doesn't just feel like a bootleg version of the movie characters. Its also a linear game which is a refreshing change from every game having to be open world these days.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

eonwe posted:

its amazing they were like what if we took the skill based shooter and tacked on random health and abilities to it

Was raised on Quake 3, gently caress I still remember the massive debate on rocket damage through floor damage when they removed it, and then they turn it into a piece of poo poo class based thing.
Everything was equal, it was down to your skill, map memory, damage memory that you did to your opponent, and health/armor respawn timings.
Now you can spit poo poo to mask their screen for a bit! Or fart out rainbow stars.
Killed the game dead for me and a lot of friends,

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
:same:

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I'd recommend Yakuza Like A Dragon instead. Its a really fun JRPG, and the new combat system lets the game do crazier battles than what could be done with a normal Yakuza game.

I would still recommend Y7, but I disagree, I think the turn based combat is shallow and it needs another title or two to get to how good the combat in Y6 or judgment feels.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Waste of Breath posted:

I would still recommend Y7, but I disagree, I think the turn based combat is shallow and it needs another title or two to get to how good the combat in Y6 or judgment feels.

I was just pointing out that you can have battles like fighting a monkey operating heavy machinery, or a giant roomba. Not that the actual gameplay was necessarily better than the original combat. You only fight human opponents in the first 6 games.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

IShallRiseAgain posted:

You only fight human opponents in the first 6 games.

No?

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
Saejima straight punches out a bear lmao

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Hv6IRac_CE

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Waste of Breath posted:

Yeah, it was kinda rough, but it was their first go at it, and I think it's a great way forward for the series. Really excited to see what they do with the next one. They definitely proved that the Yakuza formula still works with a different combat system.

The only qualm I'd have with recommending Y7 for a complete newcomer is that there are a few late-game boss fights that really lose impact if you have no history with the series. But besides that, it's a good jumping on point, since it has a new protagonist and everything.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

ichiban > kiryu, not taking questions at this time

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Kiryu has always been a lamer.

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

Ciaphas posted:

ichiban > kiryu, not taking questions at this time

P. weak bait tbh

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

that was kinda tepid in retrospect, yes

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
I'm totally absorbed by Not For Broadcast.

https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256870480/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1643131986

This game is really unlike anything else I've every played. It's so fun to play, and a genius way to make a game around FMV. It's absolutely hilarious at points but with this constant undercurrent of fear and impending doom. Anyone who likes truly unique games should think about checking it out.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I'm kinda craving an RPG where I can play a wizard/witch/sorcerer/warlock/thamaturge/mage/whatever. I wanna throw fireballs and laser magic beams. Story is a plus. I was vaguely leaning towards Divinity OS 2, but also someone suggested Wildermyth, even if it isn't quite what I'm craving it does seem interesting.

Other than that I guess there is stuff like PoE and the new Baldur's Gate, but as much as I have fond memories of Baldur's Gate 2, I'm not sure thats the kinda thing I'm wanting. but these kinda whims/cravings are always nebulous, lol.

Maybe I should just reinstall morrowind for the first time in a decade.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Play DOS2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I'm kinda craving an RPG where I can play a wizard/witch/sorcerer/warlock/thamaturge/mage/whatever. I wanna throw fireballs and laser magic beams. Story is a plus. I was vaguely leaning towards Divinity OS 2, but also someone suggested Wildermyth, even if it isn't quite what I'm craving it does seem interesting.

DOS2 is cool and lets you find all kinds of non combat applications for your spells to sequence break and solve puzzles and stuff. Baldur's Gate 3 will probably also be really good for this when it comes out