Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Amppelix posted:

somewhat because game freak is still inexperienced in making HD games and this is literally their first ever attempt at a game in this scope...

Every Game Freak game is their first time doing things, please don't be harsh on the decades old yet perpetually plucky and underdog studio.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Why must we defend the billion dollar franchise that can't put out a game that isn't an embarrassment?

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

who's doing that

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

explaining is defending, as we all know

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I have found a task that rivals catching Abra without being seen and that is catching Zubat during daylight hours, unless there's a way to cheese that that I haven't figured out yet you only have a window of maybe a minute or two that counts as daylight before they fly away.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Stux posted:

i like pokemons combat

After decades of learning damage calc bullshit I sadly have to agree that.....it owns.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

you can engage them in battle before dawn and just wait for time to pass before throwing the ball, time passes normally during battles.

but yeah there is also a small window that counts as day before they leave.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

MoonCrab posted:

Kinda hard to explain. Let's say that a "good turn" in a turn based game is one where you evaluate the current situation, consider your options, and come up with a solution that will resolve your current problems while putting you on the path to execute your long-term strategy. And a "bad turn" is one where you pick the most obvious choice without thinking and mash through all the text. Storyline pokemon has a much higher percentage of bad turns than both of those other series, where you can make a some bad choices and in the course of single turn the battle can snowball into a loss. I don't think pokemon's battle system is like, inherently bad. Multiplayer pokemon has a really high concentration of good turns. Storyline is just a boring sleepwalk for actual children, with no real options to improve it without intentionally handicapping yourself to an absurd degree.

Also pokemon turns are SLOW AS poo poo. Like seriously you can cut the amount of time a turn takes by like a half or more and lose absolutely nothing, it's ridiculous.

I gotcha, SMT is only my list of things to try since demon pokemon still sounds cool but I have lower and lower patience over time for... exactly what I'm experiencing in Shield. Just beat the second gym I think and even with battle to set, anims turned off, and effectively 2x speed mod on it's really hard to stomach the slowness. Hard to look back knowing there's a better way. There's also no reason to catch or battle stuff on the way to gyms and you wanna cut down mashing a through text boxes with your starter where ever the next objective is.

I am surprised that they managed to have more detailed areas with pokemon roaming around nearly as much, and grass manages to all load in wherever you're looking even when they give you free camera. They're doing a lot of fakery and distant 2d stuff they can't get away with in Arceus but seems like there's just a better production value all around missing from Arceus. I think I was giving Arceus more of a graphics pass because I hadn't seen how Shield looked in action but weird step backwards lol.

HootTheOwl posted:

Am I missing it or is there no way to see which tasks are left for a Pokemon while I'm looking in the boxes?

I couldn't find it nor when you check them out in the status screen. You can sort the pokedex by dex-level to kind of see in general what's left, but yeah seems like something they'd definitely indicate somewhere in most data screens for monsters, especially pasture & party.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
I'm glad people are having fun with the game, I got access to the second area with all the geodudes and put it down for a bit. It isn't really what I expected at all, and I'm not sure what I want from this to carry over. Stux warned me it wasn't going to be open world, but I really thought it would be a bit more open then it is.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

The Hisuian Growlithe quest chain is extremely cool and good

you go little dude, make your daddy proud :unsmith:

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
my only problem with Arceus Legends 2 hours in is why didn’t they use gyro controls for aiming, would be such a better experience than using the stick

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Metis of the Hallways posted:

explaining is defending, as we all know

most of the people in this thread slavishly defend by way of torturous overlong meta explanation, as nerds are wont to do

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

indigi posted:

my only problem with Arceus Legends 2 hours in is why didn’t they use gyro controls for aiming, would be such a better experience than using the stick
They did though? It's an option in settings.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Crawfish posted:

They did though? It's an option in settings.

WHAT THE gently caress I LOOKED THERE AND DIDNT SEE IT THIS GAME IS AWESOME

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Khanstant posted:

I am surprised that they managed to have more detailed areas with pokemon roaming around nearly as much, and grass manages to all load in wherever you're looking even when they give you free camera. They're doing a lot of fakery and distant 2d stuff they can't get away with in Arceus but seems like there's just a better production value all around missing from Arceus. I think I was giving Arceus more of a graphics pass because I hadn't seen how Shield looked in action but weird step backwards lol.

yeah going back to sword now its a bigger gap than i remembered, very weird lol

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
pokemon will look like rear end and have eeeh mechanics because it's market is primarily ten year olds and nostalgic adults/college students, neither of which care anymore

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
Hello, it is past my bedtime and I cannot post many words, but I will say, for the love of god don't buy TemTem.

I will elaborate in the morning, good night.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

CubeTheory posted:

Hello, it is past my bedtime and I cannot post many words, but I will say, for the love of god don't buy TemTem.

I will elaborate in the morning, good night.

The game that was the Pokemon Killer™ that came out in early access at the same time as the Isle of Armor DLC and people said was better just because?

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Don't buy TemTem lol.

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011
Oh my god I just realized the farmer dude is related to Gardenia.

Some of them are obvious (Arezu/Aries - Mars) but that one snuck up on me

Are Irida and Adaman meant to be a reference to anyone beyond just the connection to the orbs?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Duck looks kinda cute though.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Vandar posted:

Don't buy TemTem lol.

At a glance, this seems like it'd be fun for the people who see breeding as the real endgame. However, between the insane amount of money needed and the whole fertility thing, it seems like its way too easy to turn what could be a nice, zen little puzzle into a horrifying grindy mess.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I'm an idiot and evolved the Chimchar I caught for that one request because I went back to her and she wanted me to come back at night, I went out to the field to do some stuff and forgot. Then as soon as I evolved it I went "poo poo, the request!" And Monferno doesn't count, of course. Now I have to found out where the hell to catch them again.

Also did they change Sneasel's gender distribution in this game or something? I know that's a weird question to ask, but I've been to a few distortions and run into about 10 Sneasel and all of them have been female. I mean, I know that's statistically possible and all, but it seems extremely unlikely that my luck would be that bad.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

The music in the Diamond settlement is nice

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Are trade evo's still a required thing?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Love this game, it's like if monster hunter had the energy of animal crossing

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Are trade evo's still a required thing?

No you get an item that evolves them now.

I love that Ursaluna's a ride pokemon

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Beginning to really hate how this game deals with spawn rate. Like in any game it's always been pretty annoying when trying to find pokemon with a low chance of appearing but now you can't just run around in circles and hope for the right random encounter to finally happen, you gotta fully reset the zone each time and it's even more of a chore than usual. In term of time spent on it its probably still faster to catch like a Munchlax in Legends than dppt but it feels real tedious.

Did manage to catch a Goomy and Turtwig while trying to see if I could sequence break to later parts of the Mirelands though, so game still going strong.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

I like alphas a lot. Got my poo poo pushed in by a huge Kricketune but I managed to grab a Staravia and she's enormous. Good stuff.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Cool, I assume the item is the link cable I can trade for.

That said I think this is the best pokemon has been since SuMo so I'm pretty happy. I hated SwSh and couldn't even finish the Pearl/Diamond remakes so was kind of falling off but this is really pulling me back in. I'm sure if I try to grind everything possible ever I'll get sick of it, but I'm having a lot of fun stumbling across random locales and seeing where mons live. In the first area I had like, level 10 pokemon of course and stumbled into a area with level 30+ luxrays everywhere and a metric poo poo ton of other murder beasts and wound up getting chased by Alpha Kadabra and the like and that was fun and exciting.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
New Goodra is my best friend. I caught an Alpha Sligoo so now I just have this gigantic adorable dragon snail along for the ride. Also the link cable item is a godsend and future games should have it (but we know they won’t).

Alpha Pokémon are the best part of this game.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

I feel like it's gameplay loop is better when your no worrying about dex entries and skipping some of the more dumb requests.

I really like the unown hunting. They're really sneaky hiding places.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Yeah, I feel like you should only worry about finishing dex entries if you finish an expedition, notice you're at like 7 or 8 on one, and can just calculate what 2 activities would be easiest to do to finish, have that task in your head.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
I read a bit about the effort level and grit stuff and it seems cool. The rocks upgrading 1-10 is definitely reminiscint of dark souls weapon upgrading.

Here is a question, though... does anything else have an impact on pokemon stats? The article I read says instead of IV and EV, there is effort level and grit. Does that mean that any given wild level 3 staravia has the exact same stats? Does size effect this? I thought that alphas were supposed to be stronger somehow? Do they just come with higher inherent effort level?

Inquiring minds want to know. I should just google this stuff, heh.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

That said I think this is the best pokemon has been since SuMo so I'm pretty happy.

this i its sooooooo muhc better that instead of a game theres a big list of nothing to do :D frick yes! going to play the new assassins creed in between my arceus sesh... reall ly love this. finally something engaging.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

getting into motostoke and im remembering... wow theres a world here... loctions... characters... its like this is a game, incredible. gym 1 will fall soon

Plasbad
Oct 2, 2013

vandalism posted:

I read a bit about the effort level and grit stuff and it seems cool. The rocks upgrading 1-10 is definitely reminiscint of dark souls weapon upgrading.

Here is a question, though... does anything else have an impact on pokemon stats? The article I read says instead of IV and EV, there is effort level and grit. Does that mean that any given wild level 3 staravia has the exact same stats? Does size effect this? I thought that alphas were supposed to be stronger somehow? Do they just come with higher inherent effort level?

From what I can tell, the only thing that influences stats other than effort levels is Nature, which increases one stat by 10% and lowers another by 10% (some are neutral which increase and lower the same stat). I haven't noticed a big difference in regular and alpha Pokemon other than alphas having higher starting effort level.

I do like the system because it lets me turn my shiny Porygon-Z into a murder machine. Also it's nice for people who prefer tinier Pokemon and still want them to be as strong as possible.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Stux posted:

this i its sooooooo muhc better that instead of a game theres a big list of nothing to do :D frick yes! going to play the new assassins creed in between my arceus sesh... reall ly love this. finally something engaging.

Please stop posting

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Please stop posting

gonna cry?

vandalism posted:

yes allt he pokemon are functionally identical

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Stux posted:

getting into motostoke and im remembering... wow theres a world here... loctions... characters... its like this is a game, incredible. gym 1 will fall soon

SwSh's story is really not great though. I do love the design of the world. I might go back to my abandoned run - I'd been putting it off. Does it feel incomplete if you don't have the DLC, like is it going to be obnoxious about reminding you that you should buy it, or is it unobtrusive? I finished BDSP (liked it a lot) and I do like PLA quite a bit but I also want to play a more standard pokemon game.