Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

Unsinkabear posted:

It's also worth noting that there is no hard proof that ortholinear layouts with those funky thumb clusters provide an ergonomic benefit. Most of the relief provided by ergo boards comes from the split itself (and for certain kinds of pain, the option to tent the halves).

If you decide you're willing to stick to a traditionally staggered (but split) layout and retain your muscle memory compatibility with the rest of the world, it opens up more options.

Ah, that's encouraging. Wasn't too keen on the ortholinear thing and since I write for a living, taking a couple of weeks to learn a new layout is not something I can afford. But I definitely want my mechanical switches.

Edit: Okay, I'm going down the rabbit hole. How hard is it to build a keyboard? Assume I have access to a soldering iron, even though I've never used one before.

Radiation Cow fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jan 28, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Radiation Cow posted:

Ah, that's encouraging. Wasn't too keen on the ortholinear thing and since I write for a living, taking a couple of weeks to learn a new layout is not something I can afford. But I definitely want my mechanical switches.

Edit: Okay, I'm going down the rabbit hole. How hard is it to build a keyboard? Assume I have access to a soldering iron, even though I've never used one before.

In general soldering keyboards is fairly easy since the switches are through-hole. You put the switch(es) through the PCB and flip it over (making sure the switch is not falling back out) and then solder to plated spot on the back. If you do a whole DIY hand wired keyboard (with no PCB, just rows and columns of wires back to the controller) it's harder but still fairly easy since you're just soldering wires to the switch legs, although a bit tedious. The level of complexity mostly increases if you're doing PCBs with surface mount LEDs or doing a custom microcontroller or something. In the last few years there's been a move to keyboard firmware that is made compatible with lots of microcontroller brands so it's easier to compile it and setup your layouts no matter what you're using. The big one is QMK firmware but there's others around as well.

Just putting switches in a PCB from a kit or from buying PCBs and your own switches is a very easy soldering job, though. You'll want a half decent soldering iron, some easy to use solder (the lead stuff is still the easiest for hobby projects if it's available in your area), and maybe some flux. It can be worth considering some desoldering stuff (pump, solderpult, wick) if you need to undo something but for keyboard switches you can often just heat the solder and pull the switch, the other stuff is for removing solder and cleaning it up. It's a little bit of stuff to buy but it's widely available in small amounts for not too much money in general, and can be used for other jobs as well.

edit: there's a lot of how to solder stuff on youtube which helps a lot to watch, and there may even be build videos for the keyboard you want to put together.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
soldering is fun and easy just make sure there's plenty of ventilation

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Soldering sucks because how do you choose which switch to go with there's so many!!

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
Just buy hotswap.

It used to be that they were somewhat rare so if you wanted a custom you’d almost always have to solder. Not so much anymore. You can get very good keyboards that don’t need any soldering and it’s a much nicer experience both for folks who don’t want to worry about messing up but also as a platform to experiment with switches.

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

Every board I build gets kailh hotswap! Always!

It's a very good convenience feature

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

It's also a great FOMO-fighting feature and, by extension, probably a money-saver for most keyboard crazies. You want to try that new switch on the block because you have to know if it's better than what you have? That's not an excuse for a new keyboard, you have hotswap!

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.

ijyt posted:

Soldering sucks because how do you choose which switch to go with there's so many!!

Agreed, which is why almost all my builds are hotswap. (either via Kailhs or MillMax sockets)

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Hotswap ISO options are still pretty scarce :smith:

Glorious/Keychron have us covered but the fancier boards almost never offer it

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

Finally got the hang of really big macros in python, and can't recommend the adafruit macropad enough.

drat thing is like 50 bucks US, kailh hotswap, and you can put it together in 10 mins. Made a bunch of profiles with huge code chunks I use often, and a number of other stupid macros like an encanto button to play the kiddo's favorite songs at a keypress.

If you have a small (or split) board, it's a great companion

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo
Hi, everyone.

I'm not dead! Permanently.

I caught The Plague around new year's, and given the rest of my health conditions it took a while to shake out. Had some lung problems because of my established pulmonary edema, etc. But:

I'm actively in the shop, working now on your keyboards. Here they are, cooling from me installing the microcontroller units.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity
You don't need hotswap, just buy a new keyboard if you want to try new switches and solder them in! Problem solved.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Speaking of hot swap, is the GMMK pro still the cheapest and most accessible 75% hot swap? I can take or leave the knob, but was wondering if there was something similar but lighter plastic? I’ve been thinking of getting another pro in a different color and using different switches but it would be nice if there was a lighter plastic case with more color options for around the same price.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Chill la Chill posted:

Speaking of hot swap, is the GMMK pro still the cheapest and most accessible 75% hot swap? I can take or leave the knob, but was wondering if there was something similar but lighter plastic? I’ve been thinking of getting another pro in a different color and using different switches but it would be nice if there was a lighter plastic case with more color options for around the same price.

The pros are actively discouraging people from ordering the GMMK pro because of them stealing designs for key caps from people they’ve worked with. The Keycron Q1 is very similarly priced. Neither are plastic.

That being said, I ordered the GMMK Pro right before the clone scandal came out. I love this thing. I still need to open it up and fix the stabs (they aren’t great), but with Bobby u4t’s and xda key caps it’s easily my favorite board by a country mile.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Exit Strategy posted:

Hi, everyone.

I caught The Plague around new year's, and given the rest of my health conditions it took a while to shake out. Had some lung problems because of my established pulmonary edema, etc. But:

I'm actively in the shop, working now on your keyboards. Here they are, cooling from me installing the microcontroller units.

:ducksiren:
Glad to see you again and that you're doing okay! Take the time you need to be healthy.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

My Semiotic keycaps come in today!

Funny that they're reprinting them after I emailed them about my Alien project... sucks that I spent the $100~ on this custom set I had printed but whatever, really excited for these.

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004
Has anyone tried the NK87 Entry Edition yet? Wondering if it's worth considering over something like the Q1.

St. Blaize
Oct 11, 2007
got a kbd67 lite r3 with boba u4s to replace my logitech g pro with romer gs, what a difference

the romer gs feel like typing in mashed potatoes now

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Exit Strategy posted:

Hi, everyone.

:neckbeard:

So glad you're ok dude!

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

LionArcher posted:

The pros are actively discouraging people from ordering the GMMK pro because of them stealing designs for key caps from people they’ve worked with. The Keycron Q1 is very similarly priced. Neither are plastic.

That being said, I ordered the GMMK Pro right before the clone scandal came out. I love this thing. I still need to open it up and fix the stabs (they aren’t great), but with Bobby u4t’s and xda key caps it’s easily my favorite board by a country mile.

Oof, I didn't know about any of that. My current one has I think zeal/fish stabs(?) and I wanted to try for another set that had U4T's but my current one is clears with film and it's like typing on a cloud which is nice. Keychron looks great and I think the blue might just fit the keycap colorways I was thinking of making anyway. Thanks!

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

I haven't physically touched one but the NK87 Entry seems like a great replacement for the GMMK Pro on paper, and the quality of the humans in charge there is like the polar opposite of the scummies at Glorious

Unsinkabear fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jan 29, 2022

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Exit Strategy posted:

Hi, everyone.

Glad to hear you're doing better, take it easy dude.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

sigher posted:

My Semiotic keycaps come in today!

Funny that they're reprinting them after I emailed them about my Alien project... sucks that I spent the $100~ on this custom set I had printed but whatever, really excited for these.

Oh poo poo do you have a link to the new print run?

Saturnine Aberrance
Sep 6, 2010

Creator.

Please make me flesh.

Exit Strategy posted:

Hi, everyone.

I'm glad to see you around - less so to hear that you were having health trouble. I'm glad you're doing better now, and I hope that you remain well - take it easy and do whatever is needed to take care of yourself. The plague is awful, even without existing lung stuff.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

ijyt posted:

Oh poo poo do you have a link to the new print run?

https://pimpmykeyboard.com/g20-semiotic-keyset-sublimated/

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
desoldering joints is not very difficult

hotswap keyboards are for infants

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

:smith:
I got my Semiotic Keycaps installed, I love their rounded profile and feel. They sound a lot nicer than the keys I had printed from WASD, smoother and less... plasticy. Dunno how to explain it, but I think my journey is done for a nice long while.

Also, because the keycaps are all the same profile and just random, nonsense images that mean nothing I could put them anywhere. One of my layers on the keyboard is the Arrow Keys under my left hand and a 10 key under my right for when I'm doing work in Excel so I used the arrow/10 key keycaps where they are on that layer to make a bit more sense.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Infant here.

Hotswap good. It makes it easier for me to make the colorful letter toy make different pleasent clicky clacky sounds.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Infant club, what up. I guess if not wanting to take time I don't have to learn a skill I don't need for the sake of doing a day's worth of unnecessary labor that also comes with an unnecessary financial risk (of loving it up) on up my already-overpriced hardware, every time I want to try a different switch, just for the sake of doing it that way, makes me an infant... then I'm a loving zygote, lol. And don't talk to me about the cost difference between a board kit vs a pre-built either, I just recently priced out what a decent set of soldering stuff costs (you fuckers almost got me!) and that fills the gap and then some. :colbert:

The ISO problem is legit, but otherwise? The cost of adding hotswap to most of the boards that have it as a customization option (or just a base feature!) is laughable for what you get in return (especially considering what you end up spending on these things in total).

Edit: I do get that the numbers tilt in favor of soldering your own kits when you start hoarding multiple boards, but keep in mind that not every person wants or needs to go that far. I strongly doubt it was what Radiation Cow had in mind, lol

Unsinkabear fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Jan 30, 2022

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Let's have a race. I'll swap my hot swap keys, you solder. How many missions deep do you think I can get in Hitman 3 after completing my swap before you're done?

Everyone who feels the urge to experiment with switches should have at least one hot swap board, even if it's just a numpad/macropad. It's just undeniably convenient.

Not every board needs to be hot swap though, and if you're the type to collect them I can certainly see not caring after a certain point.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Mr. Mercury posted:

Finally got the hang of really big macros in python, and can't recommend the adafruit macropad enough.

drat thing is like 50 bucks US, kailh hotswap, and you can put it together in 10 mins. Made a bunch of profiles with huge code chunks I use often, and a number of other stupid macros like an encanto button to play the kiddo's favorite songs at a keypress.

If you have a small (or split) board, it's a great companion

Speaking of macropads, how difficult would it be for someone who doesn't know Python yet to get this thing working as a numpad? That's a great deal, and it even has a rotary encoder!

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

lmao

Okay yes, they're gigantic through hole components and so the easiest things in the world to work with and a great thing to learn on. On the other hand, I have to doof around with PCBs at work a fair amount and I'm not super keen to do it on something at home for fun. Would it stop me from getting something that was otherwise perfect? No, but all other things being equal I'll go for the one that doesn't need the Weller.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Unsinkabear posted:

Speaking of macropads, how difficult would it be for someone who doesn't know Python yet to get this thing working as a numpad? That's a great deal, and it even has a rotary encoder!
It runs CircuitPython by default so this would be a starting point.
https://learn.adafruit.com/circuitpython-essentials/circuitpython-hid-keyboard-and-mouse

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Eat a dick. I did this on a 104 key. With Leds. That is loving 424 desolders. Id rather never do that again.

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

/\/\ relatively sure that was a post in some state of jest my guy

Unsinkabear posted:

Oh, dude, they include that as a preset, no fuckery involved

Just follow the instructions on the site to install CircuitPython and there's also a folder of macro presets you can add to your pad from the get go. Drag and drop baybeeee

The encoder works to switch profiles though, so dunno if it's what you want for something like volume. There is a media player preset that allows you to adjust volume with keys, however!

Essentially the process works like:
1. Install a python IDE (do Mu)
2. Download all your project files
3. Plug in macropad, start bootloader by holding reset and pushing encoder in
4. Drag and drop your install files, it'll take a bit then reboot
5. Drop in whatever macro presets you want into the "macros" folder

It's pretty easy. I don't code python (I do use R, though) and I've been making a shitzillion presets

Mr. Mercury fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Jan 30, 2022

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I have an evga z15 that I'm pretty happy with, but I've realized after a few weeks using it that it's just too loving big.

I'm coming from an older TKL board and I just don't have room for my mouse, I keep bumping my keeb.

Guess I'm in the market for a 75 or ten keyless board. The smaller is better in general but either will do. I have switches already but no board or keycaps.

Any recommendations? I'm thinking about getting a ducky one 3 tkl but they're out of stock for the next month. I'd rather have a 75%, but the ducky hits the right price point and looks like it comes with decent key caps.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Mr. Mercury posted:

Oh, dude, they include that as a preset, no fuckery involved

Just follow the instructions on the site to install CircuitPython and there's also a folder of macro presets you can add to your pad from the get go. Drag and drop baybeeee

Nice! I just looked at that preset and if I'm reading it right, it looks like it's just printing a one-number string? Which makes sense, it's a macropad! But I wonder how that would work for apps or games that distinguish between regular number row numbers and their numpad equiavlents. Like would I be able to bind something to numpad 0, or is it just going to print regular 0 when I press that key? Is this why numpads cost a seemingly silly amount for their size? Lol

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

Unsinkabear posted:

Nice! I just looked at that preset and if I'm reading it right, it looks like it's just printing a one-number string? Which makes sense, it's a macropad! But I wonder how that would work for apps or games that distinguish between regular number row numbers and their numpad equiavlents. Like would I be able to bind something to numpad 0, or is it just going to print regular 0 when I press that key? Is this why numpads cost a seemingly silly amount for their size? Lol

Oh what? Weird, they are numbers. You can force it to be a keypad though by replacing the numbers in the [' '] symbols to [Keycode.KEYPAD_ONE] and so on. That calls the correct keys like it would any other numpad

e. gently caress it, here's a version that fixes that. Just open that preset in the macro folder and paste the below code over the old stuff in the IDE, then save. Remember, character strings go in ' ', keycode values (like RETURN, BACKSPACE, PAGE_DOWN) do not. The below works on my keypad
code:
# MACROPAD Hotkeys example: Universal Numpad

from adafruit_hid.keycode import Keycode # REQUIRED if using Keycode.* values

app = {                # REQUIRED dict, must be named 'app'
    'name' : 'Numpad', # Application name
    'macros' : [       # List of button macros...
        # COLOR    LABEL    KEY SEQUENCE
        # 1st row ----------
        (0x202000, '7', [Keycode.KEYPAD_SEVEN]),
        (0x202000, '8', [Keycode.KEYPAD_EIGHT]),
        (0x202000, '9', [Keycode.KEYPAD_NINE]),
        # 2nd row ----------
        (0x202000, '4', [Keycode.KEYPAD_FOUR]),
        (0x202000, '5', [Keycode.KEYPAD_FIVE]),
        (0x202000, '6', [Keycode.KEYPAD_SIX]),
        # 3rd row ----------
        (0x202000, '1', [Keycode.KEYPAD_ONE]),
        (0x202000, '2', [Keycode.KEYPAD_TWO]),
        (0x202000, '3', [Keycode.KEYPAD_THREE]),
        # 4th row ----------
        (0x101010, '*', ['*']),
        (0x800000, '0', [Keycode.KEYPAD_ZERO]),
        (0x101010, '#', ['#']),
        # Encoder button ---
        (0x000000, '', [Keycode.BACKSPACE])
    ]
}

Mr. Mercury fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Jan 31, 2022

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Mr. Mercury posted:

Oh what? Weird, they are numbers. You can force it to be a keypad though by replacing the numbers in the [' '] symbols to [Keycode.KEYPAD_ONE] and so on. That calls the correct keys like it would any other numpad

e. gently caress it, here's a version that fixes that. Just open that preset in the macro folder and paste the below code over the old stuff in the IDE, then save. Remember, character strings go in ' ', keycode values (like RETURN, BACKSPACE, PAGE_DOWN) do not. The below works on my keypad
code:
# MACROPAD Hotkeys example: Universal Numpad

from adafruit_hid.keycode import Keycode # REQUIRED if using Keycode.* values

app = {                # REQUIRED dict, must be named 'app'
    'name' : 'Numpad', # Application name
    'macros' : [       # List of button macros...
        # COLOR    LABEL    KEY SEQUENCE
        # 1st row ----------
        (0x202000, '7', [Keycode.KEYPAD_SEVEN]),
        (0x202000, '8', [Keycode.KEYPAD_EIGHT]),
        (0x202000, '9', [Keycode.KEYPAD_NINE]),
        # 2nd row ----------
        (0x202000, '4', [Keycode.KEYPAD_FOUR]),
        (0x202000, '5', [Keycode.KEYPAD_FIVE]),
        (0x202000, '6', [Keycode.KEYPAD_SIX]),
        # 3rd row ----------
        (0x202000, '1', [Keycode.KEYPAD_ONE]),
        (0x202000, '2', [Keycode.KEYPAD_TWO]),
        (0x202000, '3', [Keycode.KEYPAD_THREE]),
        # 4th row ----------
        (0x101010, '*', ['*']),
        (0x800000, '0', [Keycode.KEYPAD_ZERO]),
        (0x101010, '#', ['#']),
        # Encoder button ---
        (0x000000, '', [Keycode.BACKSPACE])
    ]
}

I just re-opened this and saw your edit, thank you so much for doing the legwork! I'm increasingly sure that I'm going to get a Keebio Quefrency (they just gave it a hotswap option while the Sinc won't get its until at least April) and one of these to supplement it. The Quefrency's macro pad is configured as F1-F8 by default, which means compared to a 75% I would only lose F9-F12. I'm thinking I can set the full F1-F12 as a second preset on the Adafruit for the rare times I need those, and have it in numpad mode the rest of the time. :science:

That leaves me with only one more question: what do you guys use your rotary encoders for? I know I want one encoder for volume on the Quefrency's left half, but I'm thinking I may skip the second one on the right half in favor of an extra regular key unless someone has a compelling use case for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

Unsinkabear posted:

I just re-opened this and saw your edit, thank you so much for doing the legwork! I'm increasingly sure that I'm going to get a Keebio Quefrency (they just gave it a hotswap option while the Sinc won't get its until at least April) and one of these to supplement it. The Quefrency's macro pad is configured as F1-F8 by default, which means compared to a 75% I would only lose F9-F12. I'm thinking I can set the full F1-F12 as a second preset on the Adafruit for the rare times I need those, and have it in numpad mode the rest of the time. :science:

That leaves me with only one more question: what do you guys use your rotary encoders for? I know I want one encoder for volume on the Quefrency's left half, but I'm thinking I may skip the second one on the right half in favor of an extra regular key unless someone has a compelling use case for it.

You absolutely could! Just use [Keycode.F1] instead of ['F1'] and you should be golden. I can also help you through it in the thread if you need me to when the time comes

RE the knobs, I have a sofle and use system volume for the left, and was hoping for undo/redo for the right, but it doesn't play well with QMK

Mr. Mercury fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Jan 31, 2022