Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

The new boba fett episode was sweet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
All of Us are Dead is another pretty good Korean show on Netflix. It's not going to be the same kind of hit that Squid Game was but I'm always down for original zombie content.

A MIRACLE posted:

The new boba fett episode was sweet

You know a show is kinda meh when BY FAR the best episode of the season is basically an episode of another, better show (that the titular character doesn't appear in) lol

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Watching "Veep", it's amusing just how it doesn't occur to anyone how nakedly corrupt and fascist they are. It was amusing watching the group throw a temper tantrum because "not-Google" refused to ban searching a scandal involving the vice president.

mcmagic posted:

All of Us are Dead is another pretty good Korean show on Netflix. It's not going to be the same kind of hit that Squid Game was but I'm always down for original zombie content.

You know a show is kinda meh when BY FAR the best episode of the season is basically an episode of another, better show (that the titular character doesn't appear in) lol

Netflix sure does love greenlighting Korean Zombie content.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

mcmagic posted:

Lol it totally was just a regular good ep of mando

When are the rude scooter teens coming back

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
The completely out of place cyberpunk looking stuff in Boba Fett caused an absolutely visceral response in me. The mod squad, the implants shop... it felt like all of them just walked on set by accident from some sci-fi original show from 1999. I think it's aesthetically the worst fit I have ever seen for Star Wars and yes I have seen the guy made of lightsabers.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Medullah posted:

Man Ozark is a good show but it needs to be like half as many episodes. So much filler.

That ending though

Nah Ozark is good because it pays attention to the atmosphere and lets the tension build up slowly. There's also a fair bit of character work and it's nice to just have moments that focus on the relationships of specific characters. But it's all generally driving the plot forward, too.

Unlike Discovery where the plot just stops for them to do a Character Moment

edit: ^^^^^^^ Ok, that took you out of it, but the guy made of chrome in his chrome ship with his chrome weapons didn't bug you? Not even one bit?

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Like on one level I respect the guy, he clearly has an Aesthetic that he's shooting for huh

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
I watched 3 episodes of all of us are dead just now and it just seemed like a much worse kingdom

E: okay I'm through episode 5 now and this show is just bad

Papercut fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Jan 30, 2022

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Did anyone check out The Girl in the house across the street from the girl in the window? I said the trailer had some spoof energy but I wasn't sold on it actually being a spoof.

I watched the first 2.5 episodes and I can safely say this poo poo ain't a spoof. It's barely even funny. incredibly boring.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Best spoof movie imho and one of my favorite comedies. Currently on HBO Max

Mr Ice Cream Glove fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Jan 30, 2022

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Jerkface posted:

Did anyone check out The Girl in the house across the street from the girl in the window? I said the trailer had some spoof energy but I wasn't sold on it actually being a spoof.

I watched the first 2.5 episodes and I can safely say this poo poo ain't a spoof. It's barely even funny. incredibly boring.

I thought it was going to be a parody of Netflix's "The Woman in the Window", the terrible Amy Adams movie released last year. I thought maybe it was just going to be Netflix having some fun parodying it's own content.

Then I saw it was a series.

Who wants to watch an entire series of horror movie parody? Horror movies are so goofy to start with, it was never going to work.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Just watch Rear Window again

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Yeah, it's basically a slightly more ridiculous version of the movies it's parodying. I wish it had more jokes but I'm a sucker for Kristin Bell so :shrug:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
the problem with The Woman Across The Street From The Girl in the Window (i think thats right) is that its not actually funny... like... its so weird, the tone of the actual filmmaking or whatever is totally dour and serious... it comes off as not actually being a parody, which is really weird

its badd

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

What should I watch next

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

I got a free trial of Paramount Plus to watch the AFCCG. Give me some good stuff to watch on there before I cancel it please.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Tokelau All Star posted:

I got a free trial of Paramount Plus to watch the AFCCG. Give me some good stuff to watch on there before I cancel it please.

[Error: File not Found]

Seriously though, Lower Decks and uhhhh...

EDIT: I went to wikipedia to see what I was forgetting and I had no idea this was happening

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

A MIRACLE posted:

What should I watch next

Raised by wolves

Or maybe righteous gemstones depending on your mood

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

A MIRACLE posted:

What should I watch next

Continuum

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Boxman posted:

[Error: File not Found]

Seriously though, Lower Decks and uhhhh...

EDIT: I went to wikipedia to see what I was forgetting and I had no idea this was happening

:barf:

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

I'll just start by saying my taste in cinema is fairly lowbrow, but I enjoyed Copshop. I've never been a Gerard Butler fan but he did a really good job with the role. Plus, Toby Huss is always delightful to watch.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

A MIRACLE posted:

What should I watch next

Oh, also, Galavant on Hulu

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Field Mousepad posted:

Raised by wolves

I’m not even sure I liked Raised By Wolves, that is a hard one to blindly recommend given the weirdness.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

smackfu posted:

I’m not even sure I liked Raised By Wolves, that is a hard one to blindly recommend given the weirdness.

Yeah, it started really strong but it kind of dragged after a while, and some the directions it went with are bad-weird. I don’t know that I really want to know the answers to some of its mysteries, since the hints it’s given so far aren’t terribly compelling.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Yeah, watching Raised by Wolves for answers, rather than moment-to-moment enjoyment of fanatical androids bleeding milk and such, is probably a mistake.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

I watched Boss Level on Hulu. It's a Frank Grillo Groundhog Day scenario, so I think you'll know right away if that's your jam or not. I was fairly disappointed in the direction though. They really should have played into the video game conceit, but stylistically it's pretty straightforward.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Tokelau All Star posted:

It's truly garbage that you can watch games on FOX, ESPN, NBC and NFL Network streaming with just your cable subscription and CBS makes you buy their extra tier.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Is everyone on VEEP suppose to be horrible human beings? Like I realize that Jonah is ultra unlikable and the very definition of a doofus, but people should at least care if he's getting molested.

And why is everyone such a dick all the time? Like every new character enters the show like "Pfft, you are dumb and don't know how to do your job. You should leave it to a professional like me :smuggo:."

Tokelau All Star posted:

The "Console Wars" documentary is fun.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Euphoria this season is kinda bad. I don't care about any of the plot lines and it's basically just a really long music video that is very impressed with itself.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

punk rebel ecks posted:

Is everyone on VEEP suppose to be horrible human beings? Like I realize that Jonah is ultra unlikable and the very definition of a doofus, but people should at least care if he's getting molested.

Yes. Amy shows occasional decency, especially early on, but yeah they're all horrible, short sighted, power grasping sociopaths.

How does the saying go? People hope their government is like The West Wing, worry that it's House of Cards, but it's actually like Veep.

E: Minna is a good person and my favorite recurring character

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

mcmagic posted:

Euphoria this season is kinda bad. I don't care about any of the plot lines and it's basically just a really long music video that is very impressed with itself.

We're like 3 episodes in. That first episode was fantastic with Cassie in the bathroom, it was scarier than any horror film I've seen in many years.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Nihonniboku posted:

We're like 3 episodes in. That first episode was fantastic with Cassie in the bathroom, it was scarier than any horror film I've seen in many years.

I think I posted here how much I liked the first episode. Just has been downhill since then IMO.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

mcmagic posted:

it's basically just a really long music video that is very impressed with itself.

You just listed the reason it is good, the first season was basically the same (and Assassination Nation which is Euphoria as an intentional horror comedy film and also rocks)

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

precision posted:

the problem with The Woman Across The Street From The Girl in the Window (i think thats right) is that its not actually funny... like... its so weird, the tone of the actual filmmaking or whatever is totally dour and serious... it comes off as not actually being a parody, which is really weird

its badd

Holy poo poo you weren't kidding. Every bit of it is depressing. Even being self-aware that it's a Rear Window satire isn't clever, because it's been done before.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Archive 81 really annoyed me about 15 minutes from the finale. Imagine being told that the world you're about to enter will be unfamiliar, and will work weirdly, and that a force will try to keep you there. And worse, there is a fricken time limit. And instead of looking at the loving memory of your sister and going "Oh I remember this. Must be a trick huh", you go "Oh, I'll sit down for dinner". Also like. Maybe the blue fuckin energy field is the thing you NEED to enter. And you should have walked through! Jesus.

It's such a played out trope and this fucker deserves everything that happened.

thatfuturekid
Jan 5, 2014

jackofarcades posted:

I caught up on You, what an utterly batshit ride season 3 is

Agreed! I actually really like S3 a lot, especially compared to S2 which I just didn't love (no pun intended). Speaking of Love, I really liked her character in S3. I wasn't really into her arc in S2 and making her a crazy killer too seemed silly. But I legit felt bad for her in S3, as she has more of a "justification" for her actions compared to Joe. Having her die at the end really shocked my fiancé and I. That scene with the Taylor Swift song was pretty drat emotional. Also, I am glad that couple made it out alive, they were hilarious. Really interested to see what happens in S4

On another note, we finished Lovecraft Country, and I have to say, what an odd loving show. I know that it's supposed to come off as "pulp-y", but the mix of race relations of the time, with Once-style magic spells just created such an un-even tone. And I don't consider myself a dumb person, but god forbid I walked away for a minute, I would completely lose track of what the hell was going on. Though, some of the body horror stuff was SPOT ON, especially a certain scene in a dark alleyway.

We have no started Flight Attendant, and about 4 episodes in, and I am loving it. Hopefully it doesn't flop here towards the end

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
Watched The Last Duel, it was very solid. It dragged a bit and I felt like some of the scene repetition could've been cut, but the performances were great and the costumes/sets/action were all great.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

A MIRACLE posted:

What should I watch next

The Rocketeer

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

LifeLynx posted:

Holy poo poo you weren't kidding. Every bit of it is depressing. Even being self-aware that it's a Rear Window satire isn't clever, because it's been done before.

Yeah didn't Will Ferrel and Kristin Wiig do the exact same thing a while back? Except the idea was funnier because it actually aired on Lifetime?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

thatfuturekid posted:

On another note, we finished Lovecraft Country, and I have to say, what an odd loving show. I know that it's supposed to come off as "pulp-y", but the mix of race relations of the time, with Once-style magic spells just created such an un-even tone. And I don't consider myself a dumb person, but god forbid I walked away for a minute, I would completely lose track of what the hell was going on. Though, some of the body horror stuff was SPOT ON, especially a certain scene in a dark alleyway.

You're not dumb, you lost track of what was going on because it's a legitimately terrible, and messy show. A friend who read the book and watched the show said they messed it up because it's full of different stories happening to different characters, and the show decided to streamline it by having each of the different wild stories happen to the same characters 3 or 4 characters. The first episode was fantastic and thrilling, but it became a complete mess after that, and I still cannot comprehend why it was so highly praised when it was on the air.

Papercut posted:

Watched The Last Duel, it was very solid. It dragged a bit and I felt like some of the scene repetition could've been cut, but the performances were great and the costumes/sets/action were all great.

I believe the repetitive scenes were all slightly different depending on the perspective of the person's story in that moment.