Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Fame Douglas posted:

Or maybe shoplifting is an actual problem and that's why companies are closing stores and backing stronger laws? Tons of shoplifting not being reported to the police isn't surprising, either. I really don't get this attempt at trying to force people into not believing their lying eyes about shoplifting being a growing problem.

Companies don't need any excuse to close stores.

If the profitability of these stores is less than it would cost to provide security for them, well, the free market has spoken.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

If the profitability of these stores is less than it would cost to provide security for them, well, the free market has spoken.

Maybe it's a problem for society (stronger laws as well as a social security net) to solve, I don't think store security is the answer here.

the_steve posted:

Closing the stores let's them put pressure on getting the other poo poo that they want.

"Well gosh golly gee, we really wanted to keep our store open in your town, but :rolldice: shoplifting is forcing our hand and that's why we have to jack up our prices. You should definitely blame an external factor like that and not look at our billions in record profits and start asking inconvenient questions. And hey, we might be persuaded to stay if you offer us some sweet tax incentives on top of it all."

They're clearly not making "record profits" at stores that are being closed, though. And they're not angling for tax incentives, either. I don't get this post. Maybe just accept that retail theft is up? It's pretty weird people have a need to invent alternative facts.

Fame Douglas fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Jan 30, 2022

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Discendo Vox posted:

Why does it make it easier? Do you see why telling people that you can more easily probate people if they do or if they don't engage with trolls causes a problem?

You know there's a mod feedback thread going on right now, right? It's tailor-made for all your pressing modding concerns.

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread
Yeah, come on, of course we need more laws and more money for police. You think corporate PR departments would just lie like that?

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Fame Douglas posted:

They're clearly not making "record profits" at stores that are being closed, though. And they're not angling for tax incentives, either. I don't get this post. Maybe just accept that retail theft is up? It's pretty weird people have a need to invent alternative facts.

Lol.
"The Walmart in Bumfuck Iowa lost a few bucks from shoplifting, ergo the Walmart corporation did not make billions in profits."

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...
The world we've built has overcome what we'll call the natural world, and it's momentum and capture is so great that even nations cannot stop it. It's a machine, an algorithm, that produces objectively bad products, and nobody is truly in control. Does that encapsulate this shoplifting debate?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Fame Douglas posted:

Maybe it's a problem for society (stronger laws ) to solve

Are you really suggesting increasing the policing and incarceration rate of the poor? This is straight up "tough on crime" rhetoric.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Bottom Liner posted:

Are you really suggesting increasing the policing and incarceration rate of the poor?

Are you really suggesting letting violent offenders roam free?

BRJohnson posted:

The world we've built has overcome what we'll call the natural world, and it's momentum and capture is so great that even nations cannot stop it. It's a machine, an algorithm, that produces objectively bad products, and nobody is truly in control. Does that encapsulate this shoplifting debate?

It's a California problem, not some kind of "natural world" issue.

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War

Fame Douglas posted:

It's a California problem, not some kind of "natural world" issue.

Shoplifting isnt a violent crime

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Retail theft itself isn't a major crime, but to be fair, the major organized retail thefts are different than someone sneaking a candy bar or 12-pack of soda past the self checkout aisle.

Retail theft is also one of those things where a single incident has no real impact at all in a vacuum, but if everyone did it, then it would actually make it impossible for anyone else to function normally.

As mentioned earlier, most retail theft is done by either people with addictions/mental health issues, employees, or organized groups and not people stealing bread to live. The solution is to both fix the root causes and also not allow so much theft that it actually impacts people's lives, jobs, and access to goods.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Jan 30, 2022

Artonos
Dec 3, 2018
https://twitter.com/RealCandaceO/status/1487107786609676289?t=8qP6OChmIb79ILWlgL5Jlw&s=19

If anyone ever needs ammo to disregard Candace Owens in the future. Here it is.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
guy picking up a single .556 round in a division-level weapons stockpile 'we've finally found some ammo!'

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Artonos posted:

add it to the pile

e:f;b

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Artonos posted:

https://twitter.com/RealCandaceO/status/1487107786609676289?t=8qP6OChmIb79ILWlgL5Jlw&s=19

I don't follow dumb conspiracy theories, so I had no clue what this missing footage thing was. It turns out because NASA didn't save the original video, only the broadcast-formatted video, that the moon landing didn't happen.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Discendo Vox posted:

add it to the pile

Going from rhetorical ammunition to a pile of firearm ammunition in reference to a public figure is a bad look.

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Discendo Vox posted:

add it to the pile

That is a loaded image

But for real name change to BRJurgis please just for posting in this thread is that a service?

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

BRJohnson posted:

That is a loaded image

But for real name change to BRJurgis please just for posting in this thread is that a service?

You don't have PMs so I'll respond briefly here-

Huh? You'd like your username changed to BRJurgis? Best bet is to PM an admin, that's not something mods can queue or do.

edit: try Hand Knit

oh woops I guess you can't because you don't have PMs. "New Username" is a paid feature. Try that unless there's a good reason you need a name change that we can justify to the admins and Jeff.

Fritz the Horse fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Jan 30, 2022

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Fame Douglas posted:

CommieGIR posted:

Either call out the trolling, refute the trolls points, or just ignore the obvious.

I'm calling this out as more than trolling. They are continually posting disingenuous bigotry and a 6'er did nothing to stop or slow it.

Jizz Festival
Oct 30, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Bottom Liner posted:

I'm calling this out as more than trolling. They are continually posting disingenuous bigotry and a 6'er did nothing to stop or slow it.

I don't think the previous petercat posts or the one from fame douglas that you quoted were good posts, but what's the line for bigotry that those posts crossed? What was so bad about those views that they can't be tolerated?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Fame Douglas posted:

Back this: Show how shoplifters are 'Violent Offenders' especially since some of the most shoplifted items include Meat, Razors, Baby Products, and Food products to name a few.

How is incarcerating these people going to make this better? Shoplifting in most cases is a sign of a system that has failed to provide the necessities and your solution is....what, to call them violent offenders and expand police presence? When has increasing incarceration and police enforcement ever resulted in fixing crime issues? If it did Louisiana would be the safest state in the Union.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Fame Douglas posted:

Or maybe shoplifting is an actual problem and that's why companies are closing stores and backing stronger laws? Tons of shoplifting not being reported to the police isn't surprising, either. I really don't get this attempt at trying to force people into not believing their lying eyes about shoplifting being a growing problem.

Companies don't need any excuse to close stores.

Read those articles, it's not your lying eyes, you're just being prideful about being lied to. Do you really want to be so dumb you got tricked by Walgreens, the third tier pharmacy?

Trollologist
Mar 3, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Bottom Liner posted:

Dissenting political opinions and lazy disingenuous arguments while frustrating does not constitute trolling.

I would know. I have credentials.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Fame Douglas posted:

Maybe it's a problem for society (stronger laws as well as a social security net) to solve, I don't think store security is the answer here.

They're owned by rich people who are reacting to current social events and are working up crimes to then back bills to further criminalize being poor. Hey look, more evidence it's a manufactured narrative. https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2021/12/shoplifting-holiday-theft-panic/621108/ this also gets into how shoplifting laws even have gotten tougher and it's done nothing.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Gumball Gumption posted:

They're owned by rich people who are reacting to current social events and are working up crimes to then back bills to further criminalize being poor. Hey look, more evidence it's a manufactured narrative. https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2021/12/shoplifting-holiday-theft-panic/621108/ this also gets into how shoplifting laws even have gotten tougher and it's done nothing.
I need to find this story again...but in NYC a shop got hit by armed robbers, the police literally have one of the suspect's phones, and they are trying to claim that they can't pursue the case because of the new DA. Which is bullshit because armed robbery is not the category of crime that the DA's office is refusing to prosecute. But I guess the shop owners have bought into the NYPD's claims and are parroting the NYPD's anti-DA stance.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

CommieGIR posted:

Back this: Show how shoplifters are 'Violent Offenders' especially since some of the most shoplifted items include Meat, Razors, Baby Products, and Food products to name a few.

You don't remember the "A 13 year old stole a Twix" massacre of 94?

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

the_steve posted:

You don't remember the "A 13 year old stole a Twix" massacre of 94?

This zinger is not actually a substantive response to the request to provide support for a claim that shoplifters are "violent offenders."

Unless you're referencing an actual historical event in which case I would invite you to elaborate.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you

Fritz the Horse posted:

This zinger is not actually a substantive response to the request to provide support for a claim that shoplifters are "violent offenders."

Unless you're referencing an actual historical event in which case I would invite you to elaborate.

Lol maybe take a breather

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Fritz the Horse posted:

Performative decorum or parody, honestly can’t tell at this point.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Fritz the Horse posted:

This is an absolute parody of D&D moderation

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

the_steve posted:

Closing the stores let's them put pressure on getting the other poo poo that they want.

"Well gosh golly gee, we really wanted to keep our store open in your town, but :rolldice: shoplifting is forcing our hand and that's why we have to jack up our prices. You should definitely blame an external factor like that and not look at our billions in record profits and start asking inconvenient questions. And hey, we might be persuaded to stay if you offer us some sweet tax incentives on top of it all."

This is just an observation from my corner of the industry but in my experience most companies don't want to give the impression that shoplifting has run amuck. The news loves it because it makes people freak out and the cops love it, and conservatives love it, obviously, so any place where you have an overlap between an industry insider and one of those other groups they're going to make hay about it. But shoplifting as an issue actually depresses legitimate business; people don't really want to go to a store where people are flipping off employees and throwing things and stealing on a regular basis and yes all of those behaviors are common among shoplifters. Stores, for the most part, want to minimize the appearance of unsafety, individual exceptions notwithstanding.

Shoplifting is a contributing factor to retail closure because retail has thin margins and always has. But a big box store could structure themselves to absorb more of those blows if they wanted to; they've been using the same business models they've been using since the 80's and only now have a few started to change by degrees while screaming and clinging to the past. Moving to smaller establishments with more focused products manned by fewer people with more experience is probably the model you'll see more of 10-20 years from now, assuming the industry doesn't just collapse, of course. Midwest areas with fewer downtowns will probably still have megastores though.

Store security is never going to solve theft. This may surprise you, but civilians cannot stop retail theft. It is (and should be) illegal for a guy in a blue jumpsuit to physically stop a thief. A security guard may deter, record, and communicate; that is their job. In fact, police will never solve theft either, because the police will never be there when theft occurs. Again, shoplifting is a social ill and as a crime it happens in literal seconds. The police might be able to break up a truly huge theft ring but they aren't going to be stopping Target thefts unless they set up camp inside the electronics department.

Shoplifting is a very curious crime that is very hard to stop. We mostly apply gentle social pressures where we can, making sure not to put people in danger if it can be avoided and letting things go when it becomes clear a thief is immune to those kinds of pressures. We record when possible to hopefully identify individuals in the future, since repeat offenders might (if you're lucky) get a legal trespass against them. What you don't do is let untrained people go off half-cocked chasing potentially dangerous and desperate people down the street to retrieve 129.99 worth of product.

Fame Douglas posted:

Stronger laws do not help the problem. The turnaround on shoplifters is obviously problematic but I can tell you that over 50% of retail theft events are novel, meaning it is a person that store has never seen before each time it happens. The police cannot solve the shoplifting issue when it becomes a problem more broadly. Shoplifting is a handy excuse to shake people down, and it always will be, so 'stronger laws' will just make it easier for the police to stop people, not actually solve anything.

Here is how most retail theft events go down:

10:15 - Someone enters the store who meets several obvious red-flag criteria. Visible signs of drug use, obvious attempt to conceal identity, multiple unnecessary bags, avoids contact, heads through multiple high-theft areas. Begins haphazardly gathering high theft product, behaving strangely.

10:17 - Subject is now being observed by store personnel. They have gathered several object, including at least on high ticket item. They will call for management.

10:18 - Management arrives, the subject has concealed several objects. Management attempts to record subject's likeness, subject heads for the doors. Original employee calls the police.

10:19 - The subject has left and proceeds on foot off of company property. Management will stop at the door to observe if the subject heads in any particular direction or gets into a vehicle. They note subject is headed vaguely eastbound on foot.

10:21 - Original employee has finished talking with the police, has given a description, and last known location.

4:51 - The police arrive for a report.

Double Edit: gently caress the police, but I don't even fault the police for this. It isn't a funding or personnel issue. Unless they are literally in our parking lot, they are never going to find this person. They have changed, concealed the items, and are in the bushes before anyone can even get dispatched. You can't solve this problem with police.

Mendrian fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Jan 30, 2022

Catpetter1981
Apr 9, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

some plague rats posted:

This is an absolute parody of D&D moderation

No. The post doesn't seem to be disqualifying for modship. If I understand the situation correctly, it was perceived that he wanted conversation to move on because Reade chat was politically embarrassing for him, but the actual cause seems to be that it wasn't producing good discussion and was hellish to moderate. That fits much better with what I've seen of moderators' motivations in private spaces.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Anecdotal evidence that is also local data, here is a sampling of the last 48 hours of reported crime in my neighborhood (along with a few larger crimes in Tacoma) and it seems to be more weighted towards violent crime than property crime. These are generated based on monitoring police and emergency radio bands as well as manual submissions.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

how is this any different than any 48 hour period in any major city?

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Bottom Liner posted:

how is this any different than any 48 hour period in any major city?

Seattle is notably low on average on the violent crime scale compared to comparably sized American cities. Property crime is the typical driver of stats here. Violent crime has been on the rise substantially the past 2 years. Prior to the pandemic starting that same list would have been much more heavily weighted towards petty vandalism and other property crimes like shoplifting and car break-ins.

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

According to CDC murders increased 30% 2019 -> 2020.

Still below historical norms, but in many places crime is up significantly.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Artonos posted:

Is she actually this stupid or does she just really know her audience at this point?

I guess it really doesn't matter

I find it really interesting that conservatives not only believe Trump is God Emperor, but also any number of other conspiracies, like: MJ12, HAARP, Moon landing fake, flat earth etc.

What causes this like conspiracy-ception in these people? Self selection?

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

TulliusCicero posted:

What causes this like conspiracy-ception in these people? Self selection?

The desire to appear smug from having "secret knowledge", contrarianism, and the tendency to favor narratives that demonstrate human control over events.

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Fritz the Horse posted:

You don't have PMs so I'll respond briefly here-

Huh? You'd like your username changed to BRJurgis? Best bet is to PM an admin, that's not something mods can queue or do.

edit: try Hand Knit

oh woops I guess you can't because you don't have PMs. "New Username" is a paid feature. Try that unless there's a good reason you need a name change that we can justify to the admins and Jeff.

Thanks for the response, I was essentially just making this joke

Fritz the Horse posted:

Going from rhetorical ammunition to a pile of firearm ammunition in reference to a public figure is a bad look.
with a self aggrandizing twist.

Although considering the seriousness and scope of some of the conversations in here, and the fact that Johnson is a surname (could be anybody!)...
I guess seeing a pile of ammunition posted in the thread where I routinely decry the state of our system and culture somewhat alarmed me, even if it did make me laugh and this is all nonviolent free speech. I'll go unlock PMs, I guess I should make a contribution to this site I read so often. Still hoping to earn a new av though.

On the topic of shoplifting, I've been parroting some arguments from this very thread to people around me and already heard some "but there are so many job openings" and "Democrat DAs are going soft on crime letting criminals go unpunished", and these are not hateful trump supporters. Very discouraging, especially as a response to hearing police can't really deter shoplifting. Justice can only punch down in America.

Benjamin Disraeli
Oct 19, 2005

Let's have some fun
This beat is sick
Let's play a Love game!

freeasinbeer posted:

According to CDC murders increased 30% 2019 -> 2020.

Still below historical norms, but in many places crime is up significantly.

Do you know if this qualifies carjackings as the driver being forcefully removed from the car while driving it, or just car thefts? If it's just car thefts then I wonder if the Hyundai/Kia issue that we've seen here in Milwaukee is just spreading to the rest of the country. Basically Hyundai's and Kia's don't have immobilizer chips in their keys, which every other manufacture has been doing since the 90's. They also lack glass break sensors on the rear door windows. Someone here figured this out and a bunch of junior high and high school aged kids started stealing them for fun. Then a local new channel ran a piece on it where they essentially explained the easy steps to stealing a Kia/Hyundai and from there it became an epidemic to the point where we have seen more car thefts than Chicago in the last year - all because of one lovely automaker. I figure it's just a matter of time before this happens all over the country since I did hear it was happening in Denver (?) now too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Benjamin Disraeli posted:

Do you know if this qualifies carjackings as the driver being forcefully removed from the car while driving it, or just car thefts?

If folks/sources are conflating hijacking and theft, that’s incredibly dishonest.