Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aeiou
Jul 12, 2006

It's cold in here...
Just kidding! It's to
fool enemies..
At my last apartment my downstairs neighbor's combo smoke carbon monoxide detector went off a few times. Our landlord claimed it was just broken and replaced it with one without the carbon monoxide detector... yeah, thanks for that. There *was* a problem with the furnace that was fixed and we both bought extra CO2 detectors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

I live in a 5 unit house where all the smoke detectors are connected. This has been incredibly effective at conditioning me to ignore and sleep through them.

ledge
Jun 10, 2003

GWBBQ posted:

I live in a 5 unit house where all the smoke detectors are connected. This has been incredibly effective at conditioning me to ignore and sleep through them.

The fire service here rolled out an app for volunteer fire fighters here that alerts you to a call out and allows you to indicate you're responding etc. which is kind of handy. The default sound they decided to use for a call out was a smoke detector alarm sound. After a while they started to get back reports of the children of volunteer firefighters learning to sleep through that sound, which not good. Luckily as soon as they got reports of that they not only changed the default sound but also removed the smoke detector sound as a choice.

crusty
Apr 16, 2015

Crustacean

Waste of Breath posted:

You mean they didn't install them but just paint over them?

They didn't install them.

Yes I could complain, but instead I'll just buy some decent ones (recommendations?) and take them with me. Otherwise I'll get a single second-hand 20-year-old device which has seen multiple coats of paint.

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
:same:

crusty posted:

They didn't install them.

Yes I could complain, but instead I'll just buy some decent ones (recommendations?) and take them with me. Otherwise I'll get a single second-hand 20-year-old device which has seen multiple coats of paint.

I believed you, was just riffing on how lovely landlords can be. I think I've mentioned it before, but the incredibly lazy property management company painted over my smoke detectors, ensuring they'd never detect smoke through the layer of latex paint.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mr. Nice! posted:

a big thing to remember - do not use the pkp extinguishers on a charlie fire. Potassium powder loving wrecks electronics.

What is PKP? I assume powder? What is a Charlie fire? An electrical fire? When you are trying to convey information about safety using jargon isn't very helpful.

https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_r6gpiu6SPR1r0uzl6.mp4

https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_r6ef8lhe5s1zxgosq.mp4

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Mr. Nice! posted:

a big thing to remember - do not use the pkp extinguishers on a charlie fire. Potassium powder loving wrecks electronics.

As opposed to being on fire, which is just dandy for them?

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Wingnut Ninja posted:

As opposed to being on fire, which is just dandy for them?

I think the idea is it makes the damage worse than it needs to be, not that you should let things burn if that's all you have.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Blue Footed Booby posted:

I think the idea is it makes the damage worse than it needs to be, not that you should let things burn if that's all you have.

Isn't that the rationale behind large-scale Halon fire suppressing systems and such - they are kind to electronics?

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

crusty posted:

We bought some Nest ones, which are nice because they give a verbal warning a few seconds before they go off for real, which gives me a chance to run over and push the button to cancel it when something is burning in the oven.

norton I
May 1, 2008

His Imperial Majesty Emperor Norton I

Emperor of these United States

Protector of Mexico

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Isn't that the rationale behind large-scale Halon fire suppressing systems and such - they are kind to electronics?

I used to work in a cleanroom and all the wall extinguishers were the Halon type - gas only so they don't ruin the cleanroom forever.

Work great, but pretty expensive.

crusty
Apr 16, 2015

Crustacean

binge crotching posted:

We bought some Nest ones, which are nice because they give a verbal warning a few seconds before they go off for real, which gives me a chance to run over and push the button to cancel it when something is burning in the oven.

How are they within reach, I thought these things were only useful in the ceiling? (Or is the button separate from the detector)

crusty
Apr 16, 2015

Crustacean

Waste of Breath posted:

I believed you, was just riffing on how lovely landlords can be. I think I've mentioned it before, but the incredibly lazy property management company painted over my smoke detectors, ensuring they'd never detect smoke through the layer of latex paint.

NP, I thought you were asking which - painted over or missing.

I do not understand how people can paint over these things. Are they that stupid or actually thinking 'gently caress this tenant' as they do it... seems inconceivable either way.

[insert princess bride reference]

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

crusty posted:

How are they within reach, I thought these things were only useful in the ceiling? (Or is the button separate from the detector)

They are, but I can reach the ceiling; we don't have a fancy rear end house with high ceilings.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!

That dude is wasted.

Panaflex
Sep 28, 2001

amoeba posted:

.....The whole '24fps is enough' thing has never really been true, honestly, at least not in the concrete '24fps is all you ever need' way people commonly effectively treat it as. It was just chosen as the bare minimum frame rate that could provide an acceptable illusion of motion back when film was enormously expensive, and at that it only really works in a darkened room where persistence of vision lets your brain stitch it all together into motion.......

Plus keep in mind if you're sitting in a movie theater watching something projected at 24fps from film, film projectors have a double shutter that flashes each frame onto the screen twice. So you're seeing 24 frames per second in terms of time but actually your eyes and brain are seeing 48 flashes per second which smooths out the 'judder' and practically eliminates flicker.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
man i'm still dumbfounded by the claim that extinguishers are for clearing exit paths, that's nuts. use them on any incipient fire if safe. any modern building should be in full evacuation mode well before any fire got bad enough you needed to try to clear paths to escape. i know it got discussed a bunch already but ugh

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

Mr. Nice! posted:

We had these lessons hammered into us in the Navy, about what to use for what. Seawolf class was the first to have fresh water firefighting stations. There were still plenty of seawater stations but if it was close, you were supposed to use fresh water. Because across decades, the fires were fought with sea water. Salt water. That added an extra bonus level to clean up.

Sometimes it wouldn't have mattered anyway

https://nationalinterest.org/blog/buzz/fireball-us-navy-submarine-was-fire-underwater-188172

sorry for the crappy site, best I could find. Long story short, a fire started on the inside of the hull in the insulation. It immediately burned through the copper tubing for the emergency air breathing system and they had to surface and abandon topside. The fire was so hot that the crew had to take turns in the water because the deck was unsafe. There was an older mechanic on my first boat that had served on the Bonefish at that time. He was always on the emergency response team for fires and we all used to laugh that he would show up on the scene (always drills thankfully on that boat) in his underwear and self contained breathing apparatus. This was before we (I) really understood PTSD. A few years later I figured it out first hand and have felt terrible about that guy ever since.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Flyinglemur posted:

url]https://nationalinterest.org/blog/buzz/fireball-us-navy-submarine-was-fire-underwater-188172[/url]

quote:

According to helicopter crewman Jim Chapman, the hoist was even lowered inside one of Bonefish’s hatches to pry out a heavyset sailor stuck inside.

Fat guy in a little sub.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

ekuNNN posted:

What is PKP? I assume powder? What is a Charlie fire? An electrical fire? When you are trying to convey information about safety using jargon isn't very helpful.

https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_r6gpiu6SPR1r0uzl6.mp4

https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_r6ef8lhe5s1zxgosq.mp4

PKP = Purple Potassium Powder. It’s a type of fire extinguisher. It’s full of purple potassium powder. This will gently caress up electronics.

Alpha fire - burning organic material such as wood, paper, leaves, and you! A screaming alpha is a person on fire.

Bravo fire - hydrocarbon fire.

Charlie fire - electrical fire. First turn off electricity then you have a mix of alpha and delta depending on what was burning. If you use pkp at this point you will destroy the electronics irreversibly. You are safer hosing them down with water (assuming proper deenergization) than pkp.

Delta fire - metal fire. Throw overboard or cover with sand and pray.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Mr. Nice! posted:

PKP = Purple Potassium Powder. It’s a type of fire extinguisher. It’s full of purple potassium powder. This will gently caress up electronics.

Alpha fire - burning organic material such as wood, paper, leaves, and you! A screaming alpha is a person on fire.

Bravo fire - hydrocarbon fire.

Charlie fire - electrical fire. First turn off electricity then you have a mix of alpha and delta depending on what was burning. If you use pkp at this point you will destroy the electronics irreversibly. You are safer hosing them down with water (assuming proper deenergization) than pkp.

Delta fire - metal fire. Throw overboard or cover with sand and pray.

I have literally never heard anyone use phonetic alphabet for this stuff instead of just the letters. Do you yanks actually call something an "Alpha Bravo Charlie" extinguisher or something?

Anyway, you don't need to give a poo poo about a PKP extinguisher messing up electronics in the moment. Just use whatever extinguisher you have to hand. Looking at the damage particular extinguisher types might cause to stuff when used is one of the factors you use when deciding what extinguisher you put in the space to begin with.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Or, here's an idea - put out the loving fire, who gives a poo poo about the electronics, it's all insured.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Jabor posted:

I have literally never heard anyone use phonetic alphabet for this stuff instead of just the letters. Do you yanks actually call something an "Alpha Bravo Charlie" extinguisher or something?

Anyway, you don't need to give a poo poo about a PKP extinguisher messing up electronics in the moment. Just use whatever extinguisher you have to hand. Looking at the damage particular extinguisher types might cause to stuff when used is one of the factors you use when deciding what extinguisher you put in the space to begin with.

This is the US navy system for damage control. Someone asked for an explanation of the stuff I was saying. Sailors know what I'm talking about.

With the case of PKP on a ship in an electronics space, yeah, do not use it ever. Saltwater is preferred if you can't put it out with CO2 or other means. Most electrical fires can be blown out once the power has been cut to the equipment.

Half burned electronics may have recoverable data. PKP filled electronics are bricked, and it will brick any good electronics in the room as well. It's loving awesome at putting out a bravo fire, though.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

The biggest thing from my recent firefighting training is, they haven't yet invented an adequate punishment for using a powder extinguisher on a turbine fire.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Achmed Jones posted:

where do you go to have a fire extinguisher serviced?

Walk into a couple of the nearest retail stores, find their fire extinguishers and look for the service provider's address & phone number on the inspection tag, call whichever one's closest.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

My employer's fire extinguishers were last serviced in 1998 and I don't think the company they used still exists

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Jabor posted:

No. I've had professional training with extinguishers and no one used that terminology.

Mr. Nice! posted:

Sailors know what I'm talking about.

Ahh, he was just playing to the huge sailor crowd we have here.

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

Something Awful was originally a website called Sailors Anonymous

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]
I'm not a fire extinguisher professional or anything but I have heard of ABC classes for fires, I thought that was pretty common:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fire_extinguisher#United_States

Letmebefrank
Oct 9, 2012

Entitled

Jabor posted:

not only there are fire classes, they are also not always the same in different countries : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fire_class . I am sure this has never caused any mistakes #osha

Harry_Potato
May 21, 2021

gently caress SNEEP posted:

Here's any early video of the SA OSHA crew...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3p4e-htTHw

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

hannibal posted:

I'm not a fire extinguisher professional or anything but I have heard of ABC classes for fires, I thought that was pretty common:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fire_extinguisher#United_States

ABC types are common yes, it's just people outside the military wouldn't refer to them as Alpha fires or Bravo fires. I think the other poster was referring to using military jargon outside of a military setting. But you know how all us saliors are.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

gently caress SNEEP posted:

I wish I had a TV interview to tell this on.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

alternate endings for Force Majeure

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
To be fair phonetic alphabets help with pronunciation issues like "Hey, see this B fire" sounding like A-C-B fire. But on the internet its ok to use the letter itself.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/AFrontlines/status/1487564278718767106

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Do you people do this for every situation where it's very obvious what the person is saying but it's slightly different from what you say?

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Cojawfee posted:

Do you people do this for every situation where it's very obvious what the person is saying but it's slightly different from what you say?

Does a pedant poo poo through their mouth?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

“Would you like to upgrade your sssssssspeed?”