Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately
To be fair, they started it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Looks like it's just a long-period magnetar...

... or is it?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Countblanc posted:

Qarn hard is so funny because you just kill some random treasure hunters for their orb. It's so tonally weird by current WoL standards

After doing Hullbreaker Hard this week, Qarn Hard remains my only normal duty left uncompleted, it's still in my journal alongside my current postmoogle and studium quests

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Nessus posted:

Looks like it's just a long-period magnetar...

... or is it?

The Endsinger is coming to free us from suffering. All praise her.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

cheetah7071 posted:

remember when 2.1 made you do qarn and guildhests

I remember trying to keep up with guildhests and guildleves when I started ARR (during Stormblood) and the game itself forgot about them

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
the lowest-level 8-person content in the game is a guildhest

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

what... I don't remember an 8-man guildhest...

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Alxprit posted:

the last one is, i think

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Alxprit posted:

It's the very last one where you need to defend a bunch of crates from attacking gigas in Mor Dhona.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Those poor defenseless crates...

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

They really need to just dump Guildheists and replace them with tutorials on the commonplace mechanics.

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

Every time I think I should go for the platinum trophy for this game I look at the 100 guildhest achievement and lol

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

They should do a revamp of guildhests and hall of the novice, and use them to teach stuff like different stack markers, towers/meteors, vision attacks, etc.
However I will also accept a comedy option of buffing the guildhest roulette rewards and changing nothing else about them.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

ImpAtom posted:

They really need to just dump Guildheists and replace them with tutorials on the commonplace mechanics.

At this point I just assume that all the weird ARR relics are there for code stability reasons.

We remove Guildhests and we find out that breaks expert crafting somehow.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Guildhests are at the very least on their mind, but it's not something they'd remove or change anytime soon.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Edmund Lava posted:

Every time I think I should go for the platinum trophy for this game I look at the 100 guildhest achievement and lol

To be fair you get bonus xp for each time you complete it for the first time on a specific class. So they are worth doing at level in theory. They should be used in ARR like you use hunts in Heavensward and above content, to fill in any levels you are close to. In practice POTD is probably better for that overall though.

PoorWeather
Nov 4, 2009

Don't worry, everybody has those days.
Interesting detail that might explain one of the more minor disagreements earlier in the thread: It turns out that (apparently) the Japanese and English versions of the moment where you kill Zodiark and hear someone say 'finally' over a shot of the planet are completely different. In the English version, it's Meteion's VA, but in the Japanese one, it's Hydaelyn. So it goes for a deliberate misdirect in a way the translation just doesn't.

PoorWeather fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Jan 29, 2022

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

PoorWeather posted:

Interesting detail that might explain one of the more minor disagreements earlier in the thread: It turns out that the Japanese and English versions of the moment where you kill Zodiark and hear someone say 'finally' over a shot of the planet are completely different. In the English version, it's Meteion's VA, but in the Japanese one, it's Hydaelyn. So it goes for a deliberate misdirect in a way the translation just doesn't.

That's an interestingly specific change, and I'm kinda wondering why. I mean, surely if it was a decision they made later on in drafting, they would've kept the lines consistent. Do we know what the other languages went with?

Is it maybe something about the voice actors? In English I know Hydaelyn and Venat have been consistent and Meteion is new, but did Meteion perhaps share a VA with someone else in Japanese and they didn't want to make people go 'wait was that Yotsuyu'?

PoorWeather
Nov 4, 2009

Don't worry, everybody has those days.

Cleretic posted:

That's an interestingly specific change, and I'm kinda wondering why. I mean, surely if it was a decision they made later on in drafting, they would've kept the lines consistent. Do we know what the other languages went with?

Is it maybe something about the voice actors? In English I know Hydaelyn and Venat have been consistent and Meteion is new, but did Meteion perhaps share a VA with someone else in Japanese and they didn't want to make people go 'wait was that Yotsuyu'?

Neither Kikuko Inoue or Atsumi Tanezaki voice anyone else in the story, as far as I know.

I don't know about the other localizations. I only noticed this because it got pointed out on Reddit.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

was about to say 'oh i thought it was hydaelyn the whole time' then realized i played it with jpn voices

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x141 KERNEL PANIC

I was doing the Heavensward after-quests to get /haurchefant and I got told "May you walk in the light of the crystal" and I'm thinking "...What crystal? :v:"

Also the CS with Tiamat broke continuity :mad:

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Lord_Magmar posted:

I mean, someone else designed Alexander and tried to build/summon him. The Goblins just thought that was rad and used it for themselves.

I thought that Alexander was originally just a fortress and that the Goblins/Illuminati were responsible for primal-ing it, using the Codex as some sort of guide or something.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Ytlaya posted:

I thought that Alexander was originally just a fortress and that the Goblins/Illuminati were responsible for primal-ing it, using the Codex as some sort of guide or something.

Mide and her researcher pals were the ones who summoned it originally, but before they could use it most of them were killed by future-Alexander. I don't think it was ever revealed who originally created the Enigma Codex, which was the guide for how to summon and control it.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Begemot posted:

Mide and her researcher pals were the ones who summoned it originally, but before they could use it most of them were killed by future-Alexander. I don't think it was ever revealed who originally created the Enigma Codex, which was the guide for how to summon and control it.

Didn’t an Ascian give it to them? I always figured that dude made it.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.

ImpAtom posted:

I had a tank turn tanks stance on and off during the entire dungeon run. Like, starting a boss with it off, then turning it on and then turning it off again. A friend and I both brought it up but they didn't say anything and kept pressing Iron Will like it was bound to space bar or something.

There's no teaching some people.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

kitten emergency posted:

Didn’t an Ascian give it to them? I always figured that dude made it.

The Codex seems to have been a part of the timeloop, the thing that made it possible was a horn with properties similar to Tupsumati that Trevanchet gave the summoners just before legging it over the horizon as fast as he could.

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.
I thought the codex just ended up being that dude's journal.

Super Foul Egg
Oct 5, 2005
Don't take me for an ordinary man

Zeruel posted:

I had a tank turn tanks stance on and off during the entire dungeon run. Like, starting a boss with it off, then turning it on and then turning it off again. A friend and I both brought it up but they didn't say anything and kept pressing Iron Will like it was bound to space bar or something.

There's no teaching some people.

It's probably a console/controller player. The stance is one of the first skills you get it so just drops it into the same area as your main attacks, and configuring the bar is such a mental hurdle for new players, a lot of people just leave their auto-mangled arrangements intact for way longer than you'd think. I've seen maxed out players with teleport still bound to their primary attack cross-hotbar, among other horrors.

As someone who plays without being 'into' the genre I get it, having to piece together your own interface from icons and UI elements tipped onto the floor in front of you is an MMO-exclusive thing and I found it super annoying to begin with, but like all MMO quirks you just absorb them until it becomes fine and you can't imagine it being any other way.*

* Except having giant floating names above people I will die on the hill of disabling that poo poo.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Alexander created himself through a timeloop wherein he also makes a pair of Au Ra their own great-great-grandparents.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Veev posted:

I thought the codex just ended up being that dude's journal.

I thought the enigma codex was the weird cone thing, but now that you mention it I don’t really recall.

I kinda tuned out of the Alex plot by the end

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
The Enigma Codex was the cone thing, which was a collection of Da Vinci-style impossible schematics. It's implied to be part of the time loop, really being records of the things seen in Alexander (so spiritually similar to Roundrox's diary, but not literally), but this is never actually stated.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
P3S prog
as a SGE the soak puddles are loving hilarious
1 Shield on myself and I have 3 HP bars

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

https://twitter.com/west24_draw/status/1487030026662924293

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

https://twitter.com/fadamniel/status/1487216837683302415?s=20&t=v7Sx0vwjym1nh7waLPrq_A

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

The natural order, overturned!

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
The great cataclysm, faithfully recreated!

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Could easily do a version of that but with Emet-Selch and a gun.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Argas posted:

Could easily do a version of that but with Emet-Selch and a gun.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Yeah but you know, as a goose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I mean if you're graha who gives a poo poo about god when you're pals with the warrior of darkness, so yeah fire away