Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

https://twitter.com/Youngded/status/1487418616945463298

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

ContinuityNewTimes posted:

Why do so many freaks want us to go to war in Ukraine? We basically don't have an army

odds of war happening in ukraine is inversely proportional to the number of UK troops sent there

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Wes streeting is a creepy weirdo and the guardian of course ask him about trans people who he promptly throws under the bus for their endorsement

https://twitter.com/GdnPolitics/status/1487685770403930113?t=CkMhVszoSg52ojfNxVODgA&s=19

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
That article owns lmao

quote:

It’s not only that his crab apple cheeks and short back and sides give him the look of a kindly wartime grocer, the sort who might slip you a bag of illicit sugar.

quote:

Streeting and I talk properly a week later, in his office at Westminster, which he shares with Peter Kyle, the shadow secretary of state for Northern Ireland. There are two rooms. In one, where the friends sit next to one another at their respective desks, there is a poster of the 1997 election result – “This is what winning looks like,” Tony Blair has scrawled in magic marker next to a map of Britain that’s almost entirely red – and not one, but two, photographs of the late Tessa Jowell.

quote:

He remembers the letter from Cambridge landing on the doormat. He’d been waiting for the post every day. “It was like Willy Wonka and the golden ticket,” he says. “I was jumping for joy. I was crying tears of joy.” He will never, he says, apologise for the fact he went to Cambridge. Someone once suggested that he leave off the details of his university education on a leaflet. “Get lost! Why the bloody hell should I be ashamed of that? I’m one of 1% of kids on free school meals who made it.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

He grew up in ridiculous levels of poverty which makes his means test everything centrism all the more disgusting

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
I thought he had bowel cancer or some poo poo

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall
Is "why the bloody hell should I be ashamed of that? I'm one of the 1%" too long for a thread title

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

i guess the system is working fine if 1% can climb out of abject poverty

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Jose posted:

He grew up in ridiculous levels of poverty which makes his means test everything centrism all the more disgusting

yeah, it's just insulting

"being hosed over by the DWP is a formative experience of mine, which is why I love Tony Blair for his persecution of the unemployed and am happy to support Rachel reeves as she promises to persecute them again"

also he doesn't believe Tories are bad people

I honestly didn't think I could hate this haunted doll anymore but he managed it somehow

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

He looks so profoundly uncomfortable with standing upright. Is it because his natural pose is "on all fours preparing to scuttle under a rock"?

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

so what is with the media puffing him up right now, are they assuming kier might resign after the may elections or is it just a general we’ve got absolutely nobody likeable but this guy doesn’t actively gaff every 10 minutes

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
It's so sudden, there's no way it's not an astroterf. he's been slated as a starmer replacement for ages but then everybody seemed to decide that Boris Must Go first so starmer got a poll boost for a bit and hung on a bit longer

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-60185733
boris eyeing up the poll boost a good war would bring

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

:eyepop:

https://twitter.com/YoungLabourUK/status/1487753465422036996?s=20&t=xbuJZFvrVM9oWg95DwDsQQ

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

the sex ghost posted:

That article owns lmao

Its cool where you can see the exact moment the brainworms kicked in

‘I’m the 1% of kids on free school meals that made it’ becomes not an indictment on inequality within British society, but instead a purely ego-boosting brag. He was poor but unlike everybody else it wasn’t his fault.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Jel Shaker posted:

i guess the system is working fine if 1% can climb out of abject poverty

He didn’t say that; you’re misrepresenting him.

He’s saying that 1% of Cambridge graduates, a much smaller fraction, have climbed out of poverty and that that is fine.

E: wait hang on I think I misread it and he actually did say your thing, nvm

Zulily Zoetrope has issued a correction as of 15:24 on Jan 30, 2022

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
Imagine being pleased to be the token pleb

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

for all the coverage of bloody sunday i don’t recall ever being explained what exactly what it was about through the media, obviously aside from the whole “soldier involved shooting “ bit. i suppose it makes sense that it’s better to just talk about the shooting rather than if it was portrayed properly as a civil rights demonstration of british citizens being shot by british soldiers

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Jel Shaker posted:

properly as a civil rights demonstration of british citizens being shot by british soldiers

Kind of important to point out they were an oppressed minority group.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
It's funny and not weird that in britain it's an annual tradition to burn an effigy of a catholic

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
mandatory vaccinations for healthcare staff have been rolled back, for the many compelling reasons i articulated in detail at the time. even fuckin dick triggle is owning up to it.

it was all a stupid stunt what a fuckin shock

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Imagine being pleased to be the token pleb

Well, John Prescott isn't around to be elected anymore.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

It's funny and not weird that in britain it's an annual tradition to burn an effigy of a catholic

it’s actually an effigy of the only man ever to enter parliament with honest intentions

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Samovar posted:

Well, John Prescott isn't around to be elected anymore.

I can't picture Streeting punching a guy

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
It's funny how the Labor right used to have guys like Prescott and Alan Johnson who were greasy social climbers, but at least at one point worked a regular job and were (lovely) union guys

Now the best they can do is "a guy who was poor once but still went to Cambridge and was fanatically devoted to student politics"

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

god do i hate it here

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

CoolCab posted:

god do i hate it here

So does that mean she's dead?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

CoolCab posted:

god do i hate it here
i do have to admit, if you brits manage to create a platinum pudding i will be very impressed

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

CoolCab posted:

god do i hate it here

bbc breaking coverage of my pudding tribute

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

MikeCrotch posted:

It's funny how the Labor right used to have guys like Prescott and Alan Johnson who were greasy social climbers, but at least at one point worked a regular job and were (lovely) union guys

Now the best they can do is "a guy who was poor once but still went to Cambridge and was fanatically devoted to student politics"

i saw a graphic that showed previous employment before becoming a labour MP and where they'd come from and right up until blair something like 70-80% of MPs had worked a real job then he gets in and it ended up almost entirely people who had only ever worked in politics as a SPAD or whatever

hmm couldn't find it and this makes me doubt the numbers i just suggested but

https://twitter.com/GoodwinMJ/status/1301866611834527746?s=20&t=RsipcMw1Z42G8S0XWEsgfg

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Redacted report is out. Blue ticks losing their minds.

Her Dryer
Oct 15, 2012
Complete and Total EXONERATION.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

ah well, nevertheless

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
This is quite a jam Boris has found himself in.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

CoolCab posted:

god do i hate it here

England is a very silly place.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
lolling super hard that the stated reason this toothless investigation is double toothless is because it would interfere with the met investigation that they had no interest in carrying out

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

No smoking guns I take it. Or guns at all I guess. Or smoke? Boris is really gonna defeat the UK press by just saying "oh yeah? Make me" isnt he lol

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
Aw you guys got your own Muller Report, how charming

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Epic High Five posted:

No smoking guns I take it. Or guns at all I guess. Or smoke? Boris is really gonna defeat the UK press by just saying "oh yeah? Make me" isnt he lol

everyone knows there were an absolute shitton of parties, the grey report alleges 16. that's it i think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Epic High Five posted:

was there ever any doubt?