Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
ARR dragoon definitely had some issues and the most punishment period for positionals, but they pretty much fixed it once the buffed mdef and such after kaliya killed us unless we had a stoneskin and an adlo prior to any big raidwide.

I died on titan hard so many loving times because of animation locks on jump.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Doing WAR60 quest (the first one) as a Lala is pretty great:

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

https://twitter.com/redm4ged/status/1487506665637302276?s=21

PirateZim
Apr 24, 2005

any time i sit in a queue too long i start to think about this video someone put out from around the 1.0 launch. I figured i should share it with this thread so it can infect your minds too. Its a strong reminder of how far out of the darkness Yoshi-P has brought us.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abE09-tqhoM

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

What a combi.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Ibblebibble posted:

What a combi.

Nice

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.

Bleck posted:

Took me nearly two hours to get to the top of that building in Kugane. When I got up there, a person was waiting for me, just sitting there, watching the sunset, and they gave me explicit instructions on how to land on the lampost for the sightseeing entry - which I landed first try, thanks to their help.

There is goodness in the world.

I spent like 3 hours trying. I am bad at jumping.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
my biggest advice for jumping puzzles is to think about your camera. Generally speaking, there's two kinds of difficult jumps--ones where the tricky part is jumping at a precise angle, and ones where the trick is jumping a precise distance. For the former, I like to have me camera behind myself, lined up with the jump, so I can just press forward. For the latter, I turn the camera to the side in a profile view, to get a good eye on how close I am to the edge. It's pretty easy to hit both minimum-distance jumps (just tap jump and the direction) or max distance jumps (get a running start and hit jump right when your feet are no longer on the platform), but jumps in between can be annoying. I'm not sure any medium-distance jumps exist in the permanent content, though

Jumps that ask for both a precise distance and a precise angle suck. I usually put the camera behind myself, tilted down, so I can just hit forward to nail the angle, while still having a decent view of my feet. There's at least one of these in Kugane

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
bring back the summer jumping tower yoship

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

just get a mod that removes all graphics and just shows the point representing your character and the platform geometry

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

wrong thread

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Consummate Professional posted:

I spent like 3 hours trying. I am bad at jumping.

It took me a bit under 2 hours of total climb time. I got up to the top, met someone who was redoing it for fun and then made the lamppost in 1 try (I got the log before though with BLU).

Look up a video guide so you have a better idea of the geometry for individual jumps, also you can focus target yourself or use pixelperfect plugin to position and center yourself better, use the center of the target arrow to line up the jump basically.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

PirateZim posted:

any time i sit in a queue too long i start to think about this video someone put out from around the 1.0 launch. I figured i should share it with this thread so it can infect your minds too. Its a strong reminder of how far out of the darkness Yoshi-P has brought us.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abE09-tqhoM

I'm too lazy to watch this in full but I'm seems like it's basically how WoW's beta infamously featured xp penalties for playing too long. In response to players hating it, they basically flipped the design on it's head, turning it into a bonus for taking breaks. (But adjusted the xp curves to require more experience, more or less changing nothing but how it would be perceived.)

It's really funny that a big thing that YoshiP did to right the ship was to say "no seriously, we need to see what the competition is doing."

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

With a little persistence I've cleared every jumping puzzle in the game except Kugane. It's just so long I don't think I'll ever be able to do the entire final stretch without a mistake.

Not to mention the subsequent giant leap down.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

I made it to the very last jump set of Kugane like 3 times before I made it.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Regy Rusty posted:

With a little persistence I've cleared every jumping puzzle in the game except Kugane. It's just so long I don't think I'll ever be able to do the entire final stretch without a mistake.

Not to mention the subsequent giant leap down.

even the seasonal summer one? that one's much much harder than kugane

though it last appeared three years ago, so you might not be counting it

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

cheetah7071 posted:

That one beat me, could never make it all the way to the top.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

This is how all my Frontline matches have gone this week.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Failboattootoot posted:

That one beat me, could never make it all the way to the top.

once I made it to the top, I just lived there lol. I had my in-game spouse teleport to me so I could go spend tomestones and then I'd ring back up

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

OhFunny posted:

This is how all my Frontline matches have gone this week.

That’s best case scenario for my experience with frontline. Very often I see the 2nd place team vulturing off the 3rd place team while the 1st place team just gets to score whatever they want.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1IHL6sPgX23ieWZBLI3j3uHSN-rN6GjUr7ZAigkRn8oA/edit

For any DNC who like number crunching, looks like the new BIS is 2.47 GCD instead of 2.49/2.50.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

After getting both to 90 I gotta say that as far as Far Eastern themed melee DPS go, playing Ninja felt a lot more fun to me than playing Samurai. Samurai feels good when you do the big two Midare Setsugekkas in the a row but otherwise feels weirdly 'annoying' and fiddly.

Also it is very fun to Shukuchi around and run fast.

bewilderment fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Jan 30, 2022

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
i find the jumping puzzles easier to do in first person mode

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
And I just got my Sage to level cap, which is my first Non WAR job to level cap for the first time ever since I started playing.

Turns out I really like Sage, even if during large pulls I feel like I struggle a bit to keep up and trying to dps (At least I don't have people dying on me anymore) and I still have a tendency to faceroll on my panic heal buttons.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

when will my husband the moonfire faire eorzean nimble warrior challenge come home from the war

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Unlucky7 posted:

And I just got my Sage to level cap, which is my first Non WAR job to level cap for the first time ever since I started playing.

Turns out I really like Sage, even if during large pulls I feel like I struggle a bit to keep up and trying to dps (At least I don't have people dying on me anymore) and I still have a tendency to faceroll on my panic heal buttons.

I've been slowly leveling Scholar to learn how to Barrier Heal in prep for doing Sage outside of the occasional MSQDR (SCH is at 46 now), and I'm starting to actually like Scholar's kit. :ohdear:

Fiye
Nov 23, 2021

No one can hide anything from me.
Your heart is in plain sight to me.

King of Solomon posted:

I've been slowly leveling Scholar to learn how to Barrier Heal in prep for doing Sage outside of the occasional MSQDR (SCH is at 46 now), and I'm starting to actually like Scholar's kit. :ohdear:

SCH's kit get really fun and there's a couple of skills that are really fun and broken. (Recitation + Indominable for a thick aoe heal and Recit + Excog are fun).

I've seen some thicc pre-pull barriers produced by my SCH for raids.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Fiye posted:

SCH's kit get really fun and there's a couple of skills that are really fun and broken. (Recitation + Indominable for a thick aoe heal and Recit + Excog are fun).

I've seen some thicc pre-pull barriers produced by my SCH for raids.

Just getting Aetherflow back (after 15 levels...) went a long way.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Kaubocks posted:

when will my husband the moonfire faire eorzean nimble warrior challenge come home from the war

You never come home from WAR.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

kitten emergency posted:

My short review of all DoH job quests:

ARR for everything except WVR/GSM: mediocre but tolerable. WVR and GSM were good.
HW: awful. too many steps, too much running around, even if the stories and characters were more interesting I dreaded these.
StB: pretty good! ALC, WVR, GSM, CUL probably my favorites? i feel like these fold better stories with less hassle than HW.

This is incorrect because the ARR ALC and LTW and HW BSM quests are all very good.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

arr alc turned out good at the end but up till the reveal it was, uh, not great?

hw crafting quests are why half my doh jobs still don't have manipulation

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
I started leveling SGE and intend to max it out, but I've pre-emptively decided to max out SCH right after because the EW artifact armor for SCH is the coolest thing in the world.

It also either doesn't, or doesn't visibly, have that thing (maybe just a male Viera thing) where all of the shirts are slightly too big and all of the pants are slightly too small, unlike the SGE artifact gear.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
I was a fool who leveled DRK to 80 purely for the story while hating every moment of actually playing it and barely even touched the others until now because I dislike melee in general. But I have road to 80 so I'm trying to take advantage of them.

WAR... WAR is so easy and pretty fun? I'm not sure if it gets harder at higher levels but it really feels just like 'defiance on, hit whatever buffs you've got, just keep hitting overpower, w2w cleared gg dungeon over' right now. I even had a healer tell me to just keep going every time I contemplated stopping until I had like the whole dungeon on me and it was still fine.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I had the same thing, I have DRK at 90 for the story but the one time I messed around with Gunbreaker I thought "wait is tanking actually fun??"

I never went any further with GNB though because back then I had only done healing/tanking and wanted to try a DPS class. FFVIII is my favourite FF so I should really go back to it at some point!

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

That's before I started playing so therefore it doesn't count

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
So, a very weirdly specific question: does anybody know if Eulmore's post-MSQ day and night themes were available as orchestrion rolls at launch? I just today learned that the music you get from Radz-at-Han after maxing out all shared FATEs is the song that plays there during the MSQ. Which is fine, but... well, it's not the banger of a night theme.

Fiye
Nov 23, 2021

No one can hide anything from me.
Your heart is in plain sight to me.

Oneiros posted:

Do the mats sold in idyllshire cover making HW crafting stuff or is it still a pain in the rear end to do them even with that?

Fiye fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Jan 30, 2022

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Fiye posted:

Do the mats sold in idyllshire cover making HW crafting stuff or is it still a pain in the rear end to do them even with that?

The Idyllshire mats help, but several of the late quests require aethersand, which is a whole thing (reduced from special time-limited collectables), and most of them require you to have a master crafting recipes book that costs crafting scrip. They make sense from the angle of trying to introduce serious endgame crafting concepts (gathering and crafting collectables, earning scrip, buying master books) to the player via mainline quests, but if you're not interested in that stuff, they're overcomplicated, difficult, and expensive. It's a shame, because the HW crafting quests have pretty good stories all around; I'm pretty fond of the GSM one in particular, but BSM and ARM are also standouts IMHO.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

Oneiros posted:

arr alc turned out good at the end but up till the reveal it was, uh, not great?

If you are on crystal I can help you over that hump, I need to do something with my ingredient horde

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

coolusername posted:

I was a fool who leveled DRK to 80 purely for the story while hating every moment of actually playing it and barely even touched the others until now because I dislike melee in general. But I have road to 80 so I'm trying to take advantage of them.

WAR... WAR is so easy and pretty fun? I'm not sure if it gets harder at higher levels but it really feels just like 'defiance on, hit whatever buffs you've got, just keep hitting overpower, w2w cleared gg dungeon over' right now. I even had a healer tell me to just keep going every time I contemplated stopping until I had like the whole dungeon on me and it was still fine.

Warrior just gets easier and more fun. I say without a sense of hyperbole that after a warrior gets bloodwhetting the only thing that stops you from soloing any content is the enrage. Warriors can run endgame dungeons easily with three dps.

Dark is the highest dps tank but is also the most difficult to play as a result. Warrior is in the bottom of the pack basically neck and neck with PLD depending on raid buffs. Warrior burst DPS rivals actual DPS, though.