Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Why are entrance themes with the sounds of bells allowed? What if someone got confused and thought the match was over when JBL entered the Royal Rumble?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

So I've been uploading this to youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sETLMlteY7Q

And I realize, I have no idea what the provenance of this is. How did UWFI get (what appears to be) syndicated television in the US, and how does this relate to the PPV they ran?

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
There's actually more random Japanese wrestling that got on TV outside Japan than you'd think: Bix is probably the person that might be able to answer with specifics but I know AJW was on some US TV stations in the 80s since there are tapes going around with (terrible) English commentary on them; Eurosport had NJPW for periods in the 90s/2000s as well plus I think inherited these then-ancient UWFi tapes at some point.

I have vague memories of reading that this TV and the actually PPV weren't linked and the former came well after the fact but I could be wrong - the PPV was entirely on capitalise on the UFC by presenting UWFi as real: I believe they did a few PPVs and the first sold alright but then people realised that it wasn't a shoot plus the rules didn't get over and so follow-ups didn't work. The TV I'm sure followed years later and might have just been someone seeing the names on those shows; getting the tapes for cheap and packaging them up for syndication or a cheap TV deal but again that could be wrong and I'm conflating two different things.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I do remember the 90's UWFi with Vader being on TSN in Canada called Bushido

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

SatoshiMiwa posted:

I do remember the 90's UWFi with Vader being on TSN in Canada called Bushido

They used to air UWFI before RAW sometimes, it's how I realized Takeda and Tamura ruled

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

Smoking Crow posted:

So I've been uploading this to youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sETLMlteY7Q

And I realize, I have no idea what the provenance of this is. How did UWFI get (what appears to be) syndicated television in the US, and how does this relate to the PPV they ran?
Its main exposure was on Eurosport in the '90s, I believe. It was produced by Pelc Enterprises, an exporter of Japanese entertainment, with Gene Pelc also working in the UWFi office and Ted Pelc (his son? brother?) handling commentary along with Geoff Thompson (the announcer with the British accent). It's shown up in the weirdest of places at times, including a one-off PPV in the middle of the night circa 1998 and the individual episodes showing up in the U.S. on Cablevision/Optimum's Metro Channel.

IceAgeComing posted:

There's actually more random Japanese wrestling that got on TV outside Japan than you'd think: Bix is probably the person that might be able to answer with specifics but I know AJW was on some US TV stations in the 80s since there are tapes going around with (terrible) English commentary on them; Eurosport had NJPW for periods in the 90s/2000s as well plus I think inherited these then-ancient UWFi tapes at some point.

I have vague memories of reading that this TV and the actually PPV weren't linked and the former came well after the fact but I could be wrong - the PPV was entirely on capitalise on the UFC by presenting UWFi as real: I believe they did a few PPVs and the first sold alright but then people realised that it wasn't a shoot plus the rules didn't get over and so follow-ups didn't work. The TV I'm sure followed years later and might have just been someone seeing the names on those shows; getting the tapes for cheap and packaging them up for syndication or a cheap TV deal but again that could be wrong and I'm conflating two different things.
Yeah, Bushido and Shoot Wrestling were separate, otherwise unrelated exports of the UWFi tapes. The first Shoot Wrestling PPV sold well thanks to a massive advertising campaign, but the second and third...not so much. It wasn't to capitalize on the UFC: It actually premiered five weeks before UFC 1.

As for other promotions:

All Japan Women's most prominent American TV deal was with Tempo Television, the former Satellite Program Network, a smallish general entertainment network based out of Tulsa. The show ran in approximately 1986-1987 and I have VERY vague memories of watching it as a very small child. Tempo was in enough homes that NBC bought them to help launch CNBC, which would later be bolstered by the purchase of FNN, which was also in a lot of homes. As a result, CNBC's creation is responsible for the loss of a LOT of cool wrestling shows that were widely available on cable. Specific to AJW, all I really know about how it happened is that the credits made it very clear that Tempo's deal was with Fuji TV. They also had limited TV coverage circa the late '70s-very early '80s in the San Francisco Bay Area (per Dave Meltzer), Guam (per old newspaper coverage), and maybe Hawaii. There could very well have been more markets, though. I *think* the terribly dubbed English AJW home videos were separate from the American TV shows. There are two episodes of the Tempo show on YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OaTfyHxZCbU

NJPW ended up on Eurosport via Howard Brody and Hiro Matsuda's World Superstars of Wrestling/Ring Warriors in the early to mid-'90s. Brody's book does a great job detailing the whole process, which was eventually supposed to involve more original production elements, a toy line, etc. Brody's book goes into a lot of detail about working out a deal with Leisure Concepts (the future 4Kids Entertainment) to work on licensing deals, syndication, fronting money, etc. en route to a wholly original show, and he's not bullshitting about that. There's a 1995 Media Week article that specifically mentions Ring Warriors as a spinoff of WMAC Masters: https://link.gale.com/apps/doc/A17483652/ITOF?u=nysl_me_bpl_cent&sid=bookmark-ITOF&xid=e752e01e

There's an episode of Ring Warriors/WSW on DailyMotion, but it doesn't have the English commentary: https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6g4s5t

I feel like I'm forgetting some other shows, though?

davidbix fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Jan 28, 2022

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties

davidbix posted:

IIRC, Ron insists he was eyeing a different deal from what the other promoters were aiming for at the time, which was ESPN, but yes: He changed the name of Southeastern Championship Wrestling to the less regional-sounding Continental Championship Wrestling, switched to arena tapings, brought in Gordon Solie as his lead announcer, and started sending the show outside of the territory to places like Atlanta and the Twin Cities. In addition, other promotions we know that tried unsuccessfully to get the ESPN deal that the AWA got were Mid-South (frontrunner until Sgt. Slaughter became an AWA regular) and a combined effort from Memphis and Ann Gunkel's relaunched All-South.There was a pilot taping for the latter at the Mid-South Coliseum on April 22, 1985, with some of the matches airing on the Memphis territory's B-show:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDyRmNpdSGo&t=125s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X61XYpJhqKE&t=1959s

During the taping, Lance Russell was joined on commentary at different times by Les Thatcher, Lou Thesz, and Ann Gunkel.

Apparently being tired made my brain shortcircuit because I read Ann Gunkel as Art Garfunkel.

Hello, Lou Thesz my old friend...

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

davidbix posted:

NJPW ended up on Eurosport via Howard Brody and Hiro Matsuda's World Superstars of Wrestling/Ring Warriors in the early to mid-'90s. Brody's book does a great job detailing the whole process, which was eventually supposed to involve more original production elements, a toy line, etc. Brody's book goes into a lot of detail about working out a deal with Leisure Concepts (the future 4Kids Entertainment) to work on licensing deals, syndication, fronting money, etc. en route to a wholly original show, and he's not bullshitting about that. There's a 1995 Media Week article that specifically mentions Ring Warriors as a spinoff of WMAC Masters: https://link.gale.com/apps/doc/A17483652/ITOF?u=nysl_me_bpl_cent&sid=bookmark-ITOF&xid=e752e01e

4kids dubbing NJPW like it dubbed anime is both something scary to me but also something I 100% want to see now

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Has “Battle Royal” ever been pronounced as “Battle Royale” (long ‘A’ sound) in WWE/F? I’m just assuming it’s one of the longest-tenured items on Vince’s Bad Word List

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Minidust posted:

Has “Battle Royal” ever been pronounced as “Battle Royale” (long ‘A’ sound) in WWE/F? I’m just assuming it’s one of the longest-tenured items on Vince’s Bad Word List

Maybe in the 80s and when they'd do shows in England because Vince probably thought it was a funny British way to say it?

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

SatoshiMiwa posted:

4kids dubbing NJPW like it dubbed anime is both something scary to me but also something I 100% want to see now
Also I was reacquainting myself with Howard Brody's book and was reminded that the whole plan came crashing down because planned toy licensee Bandai freaked out when they realized there was a tenuous NJPW connection (they were licensing the footage from TV Asahi directly without any NJPW/Inoki involvement) and got cold feet because they felt that Inoki was too mobbed up to do business with. Even though Inoki had zero involvement.

BooDooBoo
Jul 14, 2005

That makes no sense to me at all.

https://fi.somethingawful.com/images/gangtags/severancemdr.gif

Minidust posted:

Yes, 91's Battle Royal at the Albert Hall used that pronunciation.

The video they release said it every 3.2 seconds.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

davidbix posted:

Also I was reacquainting myself with Howard Brody's book and was reminded that the whole plan came crashing down because planned toy licensee Bandai freaked out when they realized there was a tenuous NJPW connection (they were licensing the footage from TV Asahi directly without any NJPW/Inoki involvement) and got cold feet because they felt that Inoki was too mobbed up to do business with. Even though Inoki had zero involvement.

To clarify, no involvement in the deal, right? Not no involvement with the yakuza?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

BooDooBoo posted:

Yes, 91's Battle Royal at the Albert Hall used that pronunciation.

The video they release said it every 3.2 seconds.

Because that was the only WWF battle royal I ever saw as a kid I have always pronounced it that way

Gaz-L posted:

To clarify, no involvement in the deal, right? Not no involvement with the yakuza?

Yeah, don't worry, Inoki definitely had involvement with yakuza. Everyone in Japanese wrestling back then did.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Are The Acclaimed the first openly gay/bi tag team in wrestling history? With both members identifying as LGBTQ?

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Kosmo Gallion posted:

Are The Acclaimed the first openly gay/bi tag team in wrestling history? With both members identifying as LGBTQ?

no not least because max caster (afaik) does not publicly identify as such

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

jesus WEP posted:

Also Bussy would have beat them to it, if someone hasn't already done it before them. I have to imagine there's some team on the indies or somewhere who were both openly LGBTQ somewhere down the line.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Diamante and Kiera Hogan have tagged before. Not just openly bi but actually dating.

Sex Farm
Nov 17, 2017

Has Roman reigns ever had like an emperor or a king gimmick so he's actually reigning over something? I understand that he is a dogman but dogs don't typically reign over things. Is the "head of the table " gimmick about his family or like the head of the table of wrestling, and if so how big is this table

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
he stole a king of the ring crown from Xavier woods I think

Sex Farm
Nov 17, 2017

It's like if I.R.S had a "cat guy" gimmick and he never actually did anyone's taxes

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Sex Farm posted:

Has Roman reigns ever had like an emperor or a king gimmick so he's actually reigning over something? I understand that he is a dogman but dogs don't typically reign over things. Is the "head of the table " gimmick about his family or like the head of the table of wrestling, and if so how big is this table

He currently rules over the "Island of Relevancy"(TM) and head of the table is about his family, "The Bloodline"(R)

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

jesus WEP posted:

I think Caster has mentioned being Bi at least once

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Gaz-L posted:

Correct, no involvement in the deal was what I was referring to.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

fez_machine posted:

I’ll need a source on that tia

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

jesus WEP posted:

I’ll need a source on that tia

hmm nope I can't find anything direct with a cursory search but there's a couple of things that hint at it: the "I'm horny for MJF" stuff on twitter, there's the hand stuff, and there's this rap against Jungle Boy with the phrase, "I wouldn't kiss you even though you're my fetish".

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Kosmo Gallion posted:

the Golden Lovers were in love, so,

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Sex Farm posted:

He's frequently described as The Tribal Chief.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Why Wrestling?

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Trying posted:

Why Wrestling?

Because Wrestling.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Trying posted:

Why Wrestling?

Its the only thing good on tv

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

a war boy standing alone in the desert blasting his mouth with cum from a dildo

Trying posted:

Why Wrestling?

the unassailably high quality forums and social media presence of the fans

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Trying posted:

Why Wrestling?

I’ll do you one better: When Wrestling?

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

fez_machine posted:

hmm nope I can't find anything direct with a cursory search but there's a couple of things that hint at it: the "I'm horny for MJF" stuff on twitter, there's the hand stuff, and there's this rap against Jungle Boy with the phrase, "I wouldn't kiss you even though you're my fetish".

There's also this A Matter of Pride video he did a while back, but as usual with Max I have no idea how much of this is genuine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARjATg_JghU

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

IceAgeComing posted:

New Japan and some other stuff got shown on Eurosport here in Europeland in the late 80s, early 90s. It was what got me into wrestling, and why Liger is forever my favourite wrestler.

e:f/beaten like Seth Rollins with a chair

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

fez_machine posted:

A friend who saw him more on the indies than I did mentioned he used to come out with a pride flag but I forget which one. (Pan or bi.)

As it stands it's very fun that his current character isn't defined in that regard and just goes in whatever direction he wants.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I choose to believe Max Caster's sexuality is "whatever's going to get me in trouble with HR at this moment"

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

He's only into hand stuff

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.
Has anyone ever won a Royal Rumble, or Rumble-like big battle type event, by being the final entrant but the ring was empty/all other competitors were already eliminated by the time they were set to come out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Closest I can think of is last year's Rambo where the final four would go into a match the next day for the title, Toru Yano came out last when there were only three people left in the ring so advanced by default without getting in