Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice

Frank Frank posted:

* If you just stand still when traveling with the Bifrost on the world tree, the game eventually figures out you're sick of it and will just open the door right in front of you rather than forcing you to run around.

It's actually just a loading zone; the door opens up a few steps in front of you whenever it's finished loading (perhaps a bit further ahead of you're running, I can't remember).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

UrbanLabyrinth posted:

It's actually just a loading zone; the door opens up a few steps in front of you whenever it's finished loading (perhaps a bit further ahead of you're running, I can't remember).

There seem to be fixed positions on the track the door can spawn, it picks the next one ahead of you

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"
Fiddling around with the player owned housing system of another MMO, I suddenly remembered a feature I loved in Rift's iteration of housing.

Housing in Rift was called "Dimensions", and it was an instanced, sealed version of an area from the open world. My favorite thing about it wasn't just completely free placement of decorations, but the ability to dramatically resize them. You could place a giant chair, or a tiny ship. It fit the multiverse theme that people had pretty crazy-looking houses.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Far Cry 6 had a sidequest(s?) with actor/taco chef Danny Trejo, and it's pretty funny, but also kind of right at the tipping point where it's winning at the camera just a bit too much. But then, your reward is his gatling gun-mounted motorcycle, and it's the best thing ever :black101:

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo

Captain Hygiene posted:

Far Cry 6 had a sidequest(s?) with actor/taco chef Danny Trejo, and it's pretty funny, but also kind of right at the tipping point where it's winning at the camera just a bit too much. But then, your reward is his gatling gun-mounted motorcycle, and it's the best thing ever :black101:

For anyone not familiar, this isn’t just a character voiced and modeled after Danny Trejo, canonically it’s actually Danny Trejo himself.

heckyeahpathy
Jul 25, 2013
Replaying Dark Souls 3, and I love how you come up over a rise in Farron Keep and see a couple Darkwraiths murdering the local population then turning toward you. It feels like a payoff in the lore and a payoff in the player's journey, since those fuckers were so tough in DS1, plenty of players probably farmed them for titanite back in the day and are very used to taking them on one at a time instead of in a pair, and they're canonically the same group as the player invaders. It's also one of the first times you realize DS1 and DS3 are a lot more connected.

For the 4th best FromSoft game, Dark Souls 3 has a lot of great stuff in it!

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

heckyeahpathy posted:

Replaying Dark Souls 3, and I love how you come up over a rise in Farron Keep and see a couple Darkwraiths murdering the local population then turning toward you. It feels like a payoff in the lore and a payoff in the player's journey, since those fuckers were so tough in DS1, plenty of players probably farmed them for titanite back in the day and are very used to taking them on one at a time instead of in a pair, and they're canonically the same group as the player invaders. It's also one of the first times you realize DS1 and DS3 are a lot more connected.

For the 4th best FromSoft game, Dark Souls 3 has a lot of great stuff in it!

I remember this part was actually an interesting moment design-wise since it comes fairly early in the game, when... to be honest, most players kinda suck and haven't really assembled a build yet. It's one of the only instances I can think of in a Soulsborne game of enemies fighting each other that isn't so one-sided that it's always decided. The best idea for this area is to just let them fight, and the results of that are all over the place. Usually both Darkwraiths will win the whole thing, with one being more injured than the other since it took point. But sometimes they do a lot better, sometimes one of them dies. A few times the locals will actually win, although it never happened often enough for me to figure out how.

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
:same:

Captain Hygiene posted:

I refused to do this side quest because someone said Danny Trejo needs your help and I said gently caress off with your crossover poo poo Ubisoft. Sounds like it's good?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Waste of Breath posted:

I refused to do this side quest because someone said Danny Trejo needs your help and I said gently caress off with your crossover poo poo Ubisoft. Sounds like it's good?

It's pretty fun, you have to stop one of the corrupt island official's attempts to seize Danny Trejo's charity taco operation because his tacos are just that good. Like I said, it's right at the boundary of what's funny and what's too cutesy in terms of gimmick mission design, but the motorcycle reward is 100% worth doing it. It's the only ground vehicle I ever use now, just endlessly cruising the roads, firing a gatling gun into the road in front of me whenever there's a vehicle ahead just in case it's the island military :getin:

Captain Hygiene has a new favorite as of 06:29 on Jan 29, 2022

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Danny Trejo cameoing as himself in video games is a good time. One of the CoD zombie maps was him, Michael Rooker, Robert Englund, and Sarah Michelle Gellar fighting a nearly unstoppable George Romero on a movie set that got invaded by actual zombies. It was pretty fun and had a poo poo ton of easter eggs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_Cx82OFXM0

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Captain Hygiene posted:

It's pretty fun, you have to stop one of the corrupt island official's attempts to seize Danny Trejo's charity taco operation because his tacos are just that good. Like I said, it's right at the boundary of what's funny and what's too cutesy in terms of gimmick mission design, but the motorcycle reward is 100% worth doing it. It's the only ground vehicle I ever use now, just endlessly cruising the roads, firing a gatling gun into the road in front of me whenever there's a vehicle ahead just in case it's the island military :getin:

I never got to play that mission because when I was playing the game the mission released before it was supposed to, and then got patched out before I got around to it because it was unfinished.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
The name of the guy that runs the photography studio in Pokemon Legends: Arceus is Dagero, a reference to daguerreotype https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daguerreotype

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

BioEnchanted posted:

I never got to play that mission because when I was playing the game the mission released before it was supposed to, and then got patched out before I got around to it because it was unfinished.

huh, confirmation a video game experience existed for everyone except bioenchanted

that's a first

Bogmonster
Oct 17, 2007

The Bogey is a philosopher who knows

There's a great little bit in one of the Mafia III DLCs, 'Faster, Baby' spoilered below just in case

The main storyline is about taking out a corrupt, murderous, racist sheriff in a small town, but keeping him alive so he can face his charges. After the main storyline is complete, you can do little extra missions to get more witnesses to build the case.

One, titled 'The Widow' has you visit a grieving woman's house, where furniture is stacked up and she's clearly in the process of moving out. She tells you that the deputies have murdered her cop husband, since he was going to go public with their crimes. In the bedroom, you can find a note from him apologising for fighting and that he is going to do the right thing, next to a mound of cash.

In the rest of the game, any cash is stuff you can take, so you're conditioned to just pick it up. But this is clearly her money, put aside to escape this racist little town now that her husband has been killed. I felt so bad about taking it instinctively that I had to reload.

What a great little bit of environmental storytelling

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Dewgy posted:

Danny Trejo cameoing as himself in video games is a good time. One of the CoD zombie maps was him, Michael Rooker, Robert Englund, and Sarah Michelle Gellar fighting a nearly unstoppable George Romero on a movie set that got invaded by actual zombies. It was pretty fun and had a poo poo ton of easter eggs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_Cx82OFXM0

This is loving incredible.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
It's a weird little thing to like, but the way that in Death Stranding on PC you can choose to quit to desktop and it immediately does exactly that is great. No splash screen before quitting, no having to quit out to a title screen, then having to open a menu to find the quit to desktop option. Just straight up quit and you're out.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Tbf almost all PC games have that option (it's called Alt+F4)

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

SuddenCactus posted:

The name of the guy that runs the photography studio in Pokemon Legends: Arceus is Dagero, a reference to daguerreotype https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daguerreotype

History posted:

Daguerre's agent Miles Berry applied for a British patent under the instruction of Daguerre just days before France declared the invention "free to the world". The United Kingdom was thereby uniquely denied France's free gift, and became the only country where the payment of license fees was required.

lmao owned

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
:same:

HenryEx posted:

Tbf almost all PC games have that option (it's called Alt+F4)

I'm noticing some newer games triggering a pop-up window when you try this, so you have to do it twice. Kind of annoying.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Some PC games like to hide their quit button in the settings section for some reason, which is annoying!

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

exquisite tea posted:

Some PC games like to hide their quit button in the settings section for some reason, which is annoying!

Like Hitman!

I guess it's not that hidden, but I don't instinctively think to go to Options to quit the game. It's alt+F4 always; I'm not playing your meta game, IO Interactive, if that's still who does Hitman I can't remember

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

credburn posted:

Like Hitman!

I guess it's not that hidden, but I don't instinctively think to go to Options to quit the game. It's alt+F4 always; I'm not playing your meta game, IO Interactive, if that's still who does Hitman I can't remember

You are playing their meta game; you just don't realize it. It's not just the targets IO has trained you to kill in the most efficient way.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

exquisite tea posted:

Good ole Dark Souls where the quit button is somewhere different across all three games, and in all three it has to go to the title screen and do the whole online handshake song and dance, and you probably have to dismiss the latest announcement post, to then scroll down the main menu and actually quit for real.

God help you if you get impatient and accidentally press the confirm button one too many times trying to get rid of the announcement, because the default menu option underneath is Continue Game which will instantly load you back into your character and you have to do the whole process over again. :argh:

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
Let me tell you a tale about quitting Assassin's Creed. Legend has it some people are still navigating menus to this very day!

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...
Oh yeah! At least in the first one, you have to leave the animus, then quit to menu, then quit to desktop, and most of those steps involve a loading screen.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Here it is in video form.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwOvuY0UbFM

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

Velocity Raptor posted:

kill in the most efficient way.

This is absolutely the wrong way to play Hitman.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

credburn posted:

This is absolutely the wrong way to play Hitman.

The moment I learned I could throw just about ANYTHING, my efforts to make careful or accidental kills went out the window. All I need is the first [LETHAL] item I can lay my hands on and line-of-sight to create a most unfortunate, and highly-confusing, accident.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Assassin's Creed was an amazing game but just gently caress every part of the menu system.

Also, 15 minute unskippable cutscenes with timed quicktime events.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I feel like every talks about how The fistfight with the pope was the best most memorable part of the series and that motherfucker came out 13 years ago

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

oldpainless posted:

I feel like every talks about how The fistfight with the pope was the best most memorable part of the series and that motherfucker came out 13 years ago

Not like it's any more recent but to me it was those parkour puzzles in the temples Ezio had for getting armour.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
The first time I tried to assassinate the pope, instead of kicking off the cutscene that lead to the fistfight, he just straight up vanished. I thought it was so cool...until I realized that the game was stuck. There was no way out of the room, and the civilians in the audience all panicked and started running in circles in front of the pulpit.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I know we were supposed to stab the pope with the wrist blade, but I just kept spamming the punch button because that was my go-to cheese tactic in fights and never saw the prompt.

I must have punched the pope for a good ten minutes straight.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Megillah Gorilla posted:

PYF little things in games: I must have punched the pope for a good ten minutes straight.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Also, 15 minute unskippable cutscenes with timed quicktime events.

I’m still mad that I missed the qte to bro-hug DaVinci and left him hanging. He looked so bummed.

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul
That's worth restarting the game from the beginning if you have to.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

yeah the davinci hug is the most important QTE since the system was introduced

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

He looks so sad if you miss the prompt

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I must have punched the pope for a good ten minutes straight.

Yet another new euphemism for masturbating.

Samovar has a new favorite as of 13:17 on Jan 31, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

FF14 has a quit to desktop in the menu, but also if you interact with a bed in an inn you can choose quit to desktop and you climb into bed and lie down first before it closes.