Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I feel like 'book' agent and 'gabby barber' are airing some personal grievances there.

They put "artist" in there and "humorist" front and center. Some of this one seems to be self mockery of the cartoonist and character as a grouch.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

We can only hope, anyway.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/Rachael_Swindon/status/1487821740604592140

Prole
Jan 13, 2022

https://twitter.com/MJowen174/status/1487815106067058692?t=wU5e-F9L9R5N73OtGjzJIQ&s=19

🤪 watch that video. We are a doomed society lol

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Can you hire Churchill to come to your bachelor party? Asking for a friend.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

ThomasPaine posted:

It's not something I've ever really looked into but I wonder if you had big antivax movements in Jenner's day. Lawrence Fox's great great grandad, the last person to die of smallpox. Tbh back in the day you'd have more grounds to worry because 18th C inoculation did just give you the disease on occasion so you can see why people would be hesitant.
I read this yesterday which briefly covers some of the historical antivax movements, the difference between under-vaccinated (mostly of minorities and poor) and anti-vax (mostly wealthy white women and fringe contrarians), community and group distrust, and beast matter :black101:

It also reminds me of The Man in the Red Coat which came out just before Covid and mentions in part the once controversial surgical technique of "washing your drat hands" in the conspiracy minded milieu of 19th century Paris and how that (and the progress of surgical science in general) tied into insane petit aristocratic conspiracies about everything from body pollution and personal liberty (of aristocrats, not you) all the way to "the enemy, the Protestant, allied with the Jew and the Freemason against the Catholic", creating what could be said to be the first modern grand-scale conspiracies where everything on earth is part of a plot against them.

Plus ça change, I guess they'd say.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

ThomasPaine posted:

Fun fact: I watched the now dated Lawrence Fox film 'The Hole' again the other day because I saw it on Netflix and remembered it being decent. It's actually still alright, with the exception of Keira Knightley, who was only sixteen at the time, flashing her tits. I do not understand how that hasn't been edited out, but yes apparently there is still inexplicably CP on the world's biggest streaming platform of all things. Bizarre.

The 60s version of Romeo and Juliet shown in classrooms feature underage nudity, to the extent that Juliet's actress was too young to enter the premiere because her own tits were on the screen.

See also Oscar winning American Beauty.

e: by "see also" I'm not actually recommending watching anything

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Szmitten posted:

The 60s version of Romeo and Juliet shown in classrooms feature underage nudity, to the extent that Juliet's actress was too young to enter the premiere because her own tits were on the screen.

See also Oscar winning American Beauty.

e: by "see also" I'm not actually recommending watching anything

Wasn't Mena Suvari at least 19 when the film came out? This also not a recommendation to watch American Beauty because it seems like a film that would be really boring at best and at worst deeply unsettling with what we know about Spacey.

Honestly, as a species we're pretty awful.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If I become old and senile I think the donald trump good brain tweet will still be rattling around in my memory.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
For all the problems with it iirc American Beauty was an undeniably good movie

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Nenonen posted:

The Outbursts of Everett True, ca. 100 years ago:

And a couple more as inspiration for all of us, because these are still True.

This character is loving great, definitely needs to make a comeback imo. Get Ron Perlman to play him in a tv series where he punches the gently caress out of real life fascists

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

forkboy84 posted:

Wasn't Mena Suvari at least 19 when the film came out? This also not a recommendation to watch American Beauty because it seems like a film that would be really boring at best and at worst deeply unsettling with what we know about Spacey.

Honestly, as a species we're pretty awful.

The other girl wasn't 18.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

i'm gonna see if they will let me on as martin mcguinness

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Szmitten posted:

The other girl wasn't 18.

Had totally forgotten a second girl got boobs out in that film. Slightly strange that no more eyebrows were raised. The 90s eh?

Prole
Jan 13, 2022

ThomasPaine posted:

For all the problems with it iirc American Beauty was an undeniably good movie

Agreed. It's one of those movies that is often misinterpreted and passed off as problematic when in fact it just deals with problematic subject matter.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

lord lucan when

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Things don't look good for him.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

(Even) More fudge flavours released!

This week sees the return of a trio of popular flavours from last year, as well as the debut of what has rapidly become this jaded fudgemaker’s flavour.

Next weekend (5th-6th of February) we will be trading in person at the What’s Your Game convention in Gloucester- tickets are still available at https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/whats-your-game-2022-tickets-234497808257 and it looks to be a fantastic nerdy shopping experience with all sorts of great things to buy- including our delicious goodies. If you do attend, drop a goony shibboleth of some sort to me to get special stuff!

Flavours Available

Daimomite *NEW!*
- Rich milk chocolate fudge surrounding big crunchy chunks of Daim bar. My new personal fave- please buy it all and save me from myself!
Unicorn Barf *restock*
Maple and Pecan *restock*
Strawberry Milkshake *restock*
Vanilla
Pistachio
Crunchy Chocolate Honeycomb
Caramel Cookies
Malted Milk
Cafe Americano
Mint Chocolate
Rum and Raisin
VeGinger *Vegan*
You Jammy Git *vegan*

All stock is now live and available at https://www.fudjit.co.uk at £3.50+P&P per 100g bar. As always, use the goon code ‘Roastbeefisbest’ to get five-for-four at checkout.

Get fudged!

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Where did the Ivermectin thing even come from? Did some actual scientists look at it as a potential candidate and the antivaxers ran with it, or was it invented out of whole cloth?

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
i wouldn't mind paying more taxes if they went on funding public services and providing good schemes for the children and the young people but it all goes on nuclear weapons and annoying russia with james bond and building big boats for the royals to probably abuse children on :mad:

Hallucinogenic Toreador
Nov 21, 2000

Whoooooahh I'd be
Nothin' without you
Baaaaaa-by

Bobstar posted:

Where did the Ivermectin thing even come from? Did some actual scientists look at it as a potential candidate and the antivaxers ran with it, or was it invented out of whole cloth?

There were some medical studies suggesting that ivermectin could have an effect on covid, but the sample size and overall quality of the studies was low, and even if they were accurate you would have to take a dangerously high dose to get the effect.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Bobstar posted:

I think there was a study in India that showed people who'd had a course of Ivermectin did slighty better with Covid response, but it turned out that it was because they were the ones who didn't have gut worms because the Ivermectin had cured that. If you don't have the worms in the first place then the Ivermectin does nothing (of any use).

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Also unfortunately it does not seem to work on brain worms. Other than in the sense it might kill you.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Andrew Neil's back

https://twitter.com/C4Dispatches/status/1487817885531742212

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

OwlFancier posted:

Also unfortunately it does not seem to work on brain worms. Other than in the sense it might kill you.

One Weird Trick / System Lords Hate Him

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

Bobstar posted:

it is normal to run studies for potential new uses of existing drugs

there were a couple of studies on ivermectin that came out just when hydroxychloroquine (remember that?) was found out to cause a lot of unpalatable side effects (heart problems) in mid 2020. my sense is that this is where the social media bandwagoning got started - when people who cut their teeth on hydroxychloroquine moved to ivermectin, which has fewer really problematic side effects and the debate is more about effectiveness

a key driver seems to be India which only withdrew approval for hydroxychloroquine and ivermectin in September 2021, more than a year later

ronya fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jan 30, 2022

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Ivermection does also kill covid/prevent it entering cells in vitro

(at 100 times greater than the normal therapeutic dose in humans)

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Bobstar posted:

The MyPillow guy was one of the first to tout it.
He told it to Trump, and he jumped on it.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Eagerly awaiting Laurence Fox getting into colloidal silver and turning his skin blue.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Dude really quit his high profile job, blamed the woke mob, put all his stock in his name and fell on his arse because nobody actually cares what he has to say and then walked back into a high profile job at Channel 4.

Dude can't even burn bridges right.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think it's called "too big to fail"

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Ivermection does also kill covid/prevent it entering cells in vitro

(at 100 times greater than the normal therapeutic dose in humans)

Bleach kills the virus too, maybe we can do something like that, by injection inside or almost a cleaning

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Not sure if :thejoke: but people already try to cure things by injecting bleach into their eyes, it's called MMS.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

I think it's called "too big to fail"

Fatshaming, my goodness...

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

OwlFancier posted:

Not sure if :thejoke: but people already try to cure things by injecting bleach into their eyes, it's called MMS.

ah yes the ol lots of worm clumps started passing in my motions , when in reality they’re just sloughing off most of their bowel mucosa

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

OwlFancier posted:

:thejoke: is that that was a literal Trump quote.

See, if I tell someone to go drink bleach everyone gets mad at me. The president does it and people crawl out of the woodwork to say "uhhh, he was clearly being sarcastic!"

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
https://time.com/5835244/accidental-poisonings-trump/

quote:

In April, which includes an eight day period from the 23rd of the month to the 30th, following Trump’s comments, the increase was 121% compared to April of 2019. In the first ten days of May, things settled down some, with poisonings up 69% over the same 10-day period in 2019.

For bleach, the numbers are less dramatic, but still telling. In January, February and March 2020 poisonings were up 7%, 1% and 59% respectively over each of the same months last year. In April they leapt 77%.

There are a lot of dumb rear end people in this world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Just watched The Thing recently and it's pretty obvious the best cure for basically any pandemic is through the medicinal use of a combination of flamethrower and scotch.

Big pharma haven't even started stage 1 medical trials into this clearly effective treatment. Stop the lies!!!