Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Moola posted:

I read about the ds3 vulnerabilty, but I'm still confused how it can "brick" your pc?

It's an arbitrary code execution vulnerability. Which is to say, they can make your pc execute arbitrary code (whatever they want it to). Deleting system 32 is like, the low tier of worst case scenario.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
what could they do that would actually cause damage to hardware???

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Moola posted:

I don't know if this exploit can get elevated privileges on the victims machine, but even without that there's poo poo a RCE exploit can do that fucks up the OS.
It's not going to set fire to your PC and burn down your house. But it can make the machine unusable until you reinstall Windows (there is malware that can hide in your uefi, but these are still rare).

Though any serious malware isn't going to bother with that and will instead do poo poo like make your machine part of a botnet for DDOS attacks, have your machine run cryptomining, and steal passwords, credit card information, etc.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Jan 26, 2022

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
The one time it was used "maliciously" the attacker crashed a streamer's DS3 application and used Windows Powershell Text to Speech to read off a thanos copypasta.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

It's a tweet quoting a discord message so take it with a grain of salt but the way the story goes is that apparently the guy who discovered the vulnerability tried to report it, got nowhere, and engineered the stream snipe to grab attention and get fromsoft to fix it.

https://twitter.com/kamekache/status/1484929777404420096

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
RCE means the attacker can do anything to your PC that you could do. I'm not sure if that can damage hardware since CPUs have emergency shutdowns when they overheat and stuff like that, but it's definitely Very Bad

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Yeah the problem there isn't your 1000? 2000? 3000? dollar rig dying, it's people getting access to bank accounts, passwords and stuff like that.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

It’s good to make your everyday Windows account normal and keep an admin account separate if you need to install things. This way if you do get compromised there’s another layer and a hacker can’t really run anything malicious without admin.

Granted if they are that far you got other issues but it’s just a nice layer of protection. No harm in having it that way.

Idiot Doom Spiral
Jan 2, 2020
How silly an idea is Demon's Scar mainhand + parting flame offhand for R1 into black flame? I don't even need to pump any strength since the weapon works just fine without it.

Edit: I guess it does kind of gimp my castspeed. Doh.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Moola posted:

Here's another discussion of this on the internet, but to summarize, in addition to aforementioned heat damage, one could also theoretically create a virus that constantly reads and writes to the secondary storage, decreasing the lifetime of an HDD or SSD dramatically.

e: in addition to the more standard fears of "turns your computer into a bitcoin miner" or "steals your banking info"

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
that all sounds very bad

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Phobophilia posted:

The one time it was used "maliciously" the attacker crashed a streamer's DS3 application and used Windows Powershell Text to Speech to read off a thanos copypasta.

This is a years-old vulnerability that was only recently discovered, so you have no way of knowing if that was the only time it was exploited.

Raygereio posted:

I don't know if this exploit can get elevated privileges on the victims machine, but even without that there's poo poo a RCE exploit can do that fucks up the OS.
It's not going to set fire to your PC and burn down your house. But it can make the machine unusable until you reinstall Windows (there is malware that can hide in your uefi, but these are still rare).

Though any serious malware isn't going to bother with that and will instead do poo poo like make your machine part of a botnet for DDOS attacks, have your machine run cryptomining, and steal passwords, credit card information, etc.

Arrhythmia posted:

Here's another discussion of this on the internet, but to summarize, in addition to aforementioned heat damage, one could also theoretically create a virus that constantly reads and writes to the secondary storage, decreasing the lifetime of an HDD or SSD dramatically.

e: in addition to the more standard fears of "turns your computer into a bitcoin miner" or "steals your banking info"

Adding my 2c, you could also corrupt the motherboard BIOS such that it can't be re-flashed, effectively bricking it. But yeah, more likely you get your personal info slurped up or get added to a botnet, something that can be used to make money.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Could have swore I remember someone poking around in DS3's netcode saying that it was a mess and might even have an RCE, a while back. Other games (non-Fromsoft) might even have RCEs as well, it just doesn't seem to be a big avenue of research.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine

The Dark Project posted:

Crow talons multi-hit build

Thanks! Your post caught my attention and I'm now in the middle of the journey (just opened up carthus). I started with the brigand twindaggers and a dex build (my first ever actually) and eagerly switched to crow talons. Much more fun moveset, innate bleed, and an L2 barrage attack that almost always breaks poise/guards. I also went through the investment to get hidden body ready, but then never used it anywhere since I just ran through the painted world. Big change from my first ever DS3 (or soulsborne) experience where I abused hidden body constantly to set up ultra greatsword charged R2s. Waiting to see how a hollow gem will change things.

The Dark Project
Jun 25, 2007

Give it to me straight...
Glad you like it! Getting a Hollow Gem is easy, and getting the Profaned Coal from Irythyll Dungeon isn't too hectic. The biggest problem is the Jailers sapping your health down, which sucks, but there are places along the way you can rest at, wait for it to return, and heal back up. Once you pick it up, it's easy to bone out of there back to Firekeep to give the coal to Andre and have him install it. That's if you're wanting to do a luck build. If you're staying Dex, just use a sharp infusion on it, which you can get really early.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
people misuse the word "bricking" as just "make your device crash or corrupt your OS" while it really means "turning your device into an expensive brick with no way to recover"

you can certainly do the latter on a PC with OS level access but I don't think there are readily available code to do it so griefers would probably just do the old "delete system32" thing

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

kinda curious - the blue sentinel mod was updated a few days ago already, but the official update is probably still going to be a while.

makes me wonder why, is the blue sentinel update not as secure as hoped?

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

double nine posted:

kinda curious - the blue sentinel mod was updated a few days ago already, but the official update is probably still going to be a while.

makes me wonder why, is the blue sentinel update not as secure as hoped?
Anyone who knows what From is doing/planning isn't talking. So:shrug:

Blue sentinel is closed source, so who knows what it does. But if it works, then it only protects against the discovered exploits. It's possible that there are other vulnerabilities elsewhere in the code that haven't been discovered yet. And a thorough audit of From's codebase will take a while.
Depending on how pessimistic you want to be, the other possibilities include no-one working on a fix because everyone is busy with Elden Ring's day 1 patch. And From abandoning multiplayer on the PC completely.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Also Blue Sentinel is a mod, you have to know it exists to use it, I guess a large percentage of Souls players run without it

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

The reason Blue Sentinel is closed source is because they don't want anyone figuring out a way of getting around what it does, or seeing the full breadth of what it detects.

Back when original DS1's PvP Watchdog was a thing, somebody modified it despite being closed source to let them kick anyone, which I told the author about (as well as telling them that I was crashing it on accident by having a long name, which was not intended by me). The Blue Sentinel modmakers don't want a repeat of that kind of thing, which would be made easier with open source.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

ymgve posted:

Also Blue Sentinel is a mod, you have to know it exists to use it, I guess a large percentage of Souls players run without it

BS/BA also flag other players using the same mod, and the vast majority of other players I invade don't use it.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
After repeatedly bouncing off Dark Souls 3 due to the higher speed and harder timing of the combat I finally managed to clear the High Wall of Lothric and beat Vordt! I felt like I'd never get out of that first area but now I'm all excited to see more!

Not a huge accomplishment or whatever but I've racked up 19 hours in game on several attempts to get into it and to finally actually clear the first boss is just very exciting.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Pope Guilty posted:

After repeatedly bouncing off Dark Souls 3 due to the higher speed and harder timing of the combat I finally managed to clear the High Wall of Lothric and beat Vordt! I felt like I'd never get out of that first area but now I'm all excited to see more!

Not a huge accomplishment or whatever but I've racked up 19 hours in game on several attempts to get into it and to finally actually clear the first boss is just very exciting.

Pretend DS3 is diet-Bloodborne, it's much faster paced than the previous souls games but you also aren't having a supersonic anime fight against werewolves.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Yeah, enemies are maybe kinda faster but also their poise sucks a surprising amount of the time so even with a raw weapon you can get away with mashing R1 even if your evasive options aren’t as fluid compared to BB.

Idiot Doom Spiral
Jan 2, 2020

Pope Guilty posted:

Shields are basically only viable now if built for (have personally not run a single shield run in either Souls game, but seen friends who prefer that style have trouble).

DS3 definitely rewards a bit of aggression more, particularly against mobs. Some mass mobs have so little poise that rolling into them will stagger them (every single worker in Undead Settlement for instance). Several bosses can even be staggered on hit, and many more go into a vulnerable state for viscerals if they sustain enough damage in a short enough time.

Depending on how your build is looking, consider consulting YT for small pointers. There are infinitely many viable builds for PvE, and more or less anything you do works, but miracles/magic/pyromancies have in my limited experiences been more uneven playthroughs.

Also, the boss in the next area is optional, but worth doing. You may want to read a few spoilers though because the gimmick is not that exciting to figure out.

Edit: The whole first third of DS3 is well-crafted but a little scattered, with few huge boss fights to look forward to, but tons of great little events and lore. But definitely stick it out, they ramp up fantastically in intensity and design. Abyss Watchers, Pontiff, Twin Princes, Friede, Nameless King, Gael and Midir are all top tier fights (and of those I didn't mention, only 2 are really not up to snuff - luckily, those are also easy).

Idiot Doom Spiral fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Jan 30, 2022

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I used a shield and found it viable, like obviously not as amazing as in DS1 where they’re kinda disgustingly OP but they’re a nice utility option for scouting enemy attacks and avoiding chip damage from weak fast enemies.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Shields are fine in 3, but a lot of the late game bosses are built to blow through small and medium shields with their long attack chains. You either need to be ready to drop it and get into super roll mode or be able to carry a tower shield and be carefully managing your stamina.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

shields are fine but deflection is a lot less reliable and you have to be much more careful about stamina. holding up your shield too much and not letting it regen up can get you killed.

Idiot Doom Spiral
Jan 2, 2020
https://imgur.com/zoEYE1I

(Don't even ask about the build, trying to see what is FP-efficient to get him all the way down)

I think the picture tells most of the story, but in case it's not obvious: He was low and starting doing the charge up, I figured I could slice him down before he explodes. I was wrong.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I've done a greatsshield facetanking run before and it's legit af. Dragonslayer Greatshield will let you clown all over Nameless King. If you're willing the grind the Elder Ghrus in the swamp, they drop a Stone Greatshield which is a solid jack of all trades GS with decent absorption in every category.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
this came up in my recommendeds, seems like fun!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRrfuIj1bg8

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

Last Celebration posted:

I used a shield and found it viable, like obviously not as amazing as in DS1 where they’re kinda disgustingly OP but they’re a nice utility option for scouting enemy attacks and avoiding chip damage from weak fast enemies.

Yeah, this is exactly how I used shields in DS3. I would generally have a utility-flavored shield on my back (Grass Crest shield or Shield of Want) and pull it out when fighting a new boss or those spazzy undead dogs. My goal was still to dodge all the attacks but I kept the shield raised whenever my stam was capped as insurance. It meant that typically it was impossible to dodge “too late”, at worst it does some stamina damage instead.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Magitek posted:

Yeah, this is exactly how I used shields in DS3. I would generally have a utility-flavored shield on my back (Grass Crest shield or Shield of Want) and pull it out when fighting a new boss or those spazzy undead dogs. My goal was still to dodge all the attacks but I kept the shield raised whenever my stam was capped as insurance. It meant that typically it was impossible to dodge “too late”, at worst it does some stamina damage instead.

Picking up shields again might be a good habit for Elden Ring, given its counter system

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Yeah, either 2-handing weapons or sword and board is going to be the way to go.

Powerstancing was flashy but overrated in DS2. Powerstancing is going to be flashy and again overrated in Elden Ring, because spamming out paired light attacks using L1 is not going to take advantage of the new posture mechanic and deny access to a powerful defensive mechanic.

Phobophilia fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Jan 31, 2022

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Phobophilia posted:

Yeah, either 2-handing weapons or sword and board is going to be the way to go.

Powerstancing was flashy but overrated in DS2. Powerstancing is going to be flashy and again overrated in Elden Ring, because spamming out paired light attacks using L1 is not going to take advantage of the new posture mechanic and deny access to a powerful defensive mechanic.

The posture breaking didn't seem to be that common but obviously I'm just speculating here. Powerstancing just means that the sellsword winblades now do twice as much damage as a normal attack :getin:

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

What are the most useful pyromancies for PvE? I'm reaching Irithyll and only used the standard fireball, flash sweat and Floating chaos (it sucks).

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Chaos Bed Vestiges is my bread and butter on my pyro. I run half/half orange/blue estus just so I can cast big balls all day everyday. Great for PVP too, I've one-shot a couple of invaders with it

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Guillermus posted:

What are the most useful pyromancies for PvE? I'm reaching Irithyll and only used the standard fireball, flash sweat and Floating chaos (it sucks).

Great chaos fireball, chaos bed vestiges, black fire orb are your heavy hitters. Black flame is good if you’re right up something’s rear end. Profane flame is also decent though slightly less straightforward to use (it’s the delayed explosion spell from DS2). Boulder heave is kind of a comedy option but does do physical damage where otherwise you’d be limited to fire & dark.

Also rapport. It’s free teammate

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Cool thanks, what would be a nice ring setup? (just at the fun city as I said) Using Chloranthy, Witch's Ring, Estus Ring and Silver Ring for souls.

Oh, and boss souls? Anything special to get from them?

I see people favoring Pyro's Parting Flame over the normal one but I see its benefit is the extra damage when being really close while having worse AMP. Is the Demon's Scar worth using from the DLC?

Guillermus fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Jan 31, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009
Boulder heave is great for the swamp and catacombs stretch since it'll send darkwraiths and the like flat on their asses