Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

JBP posted:

The way I take it is that R1 is your general go to against bosses in pve. You can R2 for reasons like accessing another type of damage, stagger or to combo, but by and large your safest play is to R1. Elden Ring makes the R2 in pve way more useful in that it builds posture damage and it also has a significantly increased base damage over R1, so players are going to be much more likely to weave R2 into their pve attacks as there is significantly improved reward for doing so (beyond looking like a badass).

Yeah, ER R2s have extremely efficient motion value:stamina ratios, if anything excessively so. R2s should never be as efficient as sustained R1 combos.

But now they seem to be so, and we'll have to incorporate it into the new meta.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

DS2 has that weird quirk where you just can't combo an R2 into an R1. Any other game you can string them back and forth just fine.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
DS2 has that weird quirk where the combat feels bad

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

when you riposte something in dark souls 2 it makes a weird creaky door noise instead that big bell ring followed by a splatter, and that is why it is the worst souls game

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

hatty posted:

ADP baffles me to this day, a literal stat governing iframes on your roll

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Technically ADP is Resistance 2, it just has the secondary effect of occasionally boosting agility.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

hatty posted:

Yeah I started a new playthrough a couple days ago and the first time I tried moving diagonally I wanted to die inside. Then that horrible backstab animation that you wind up locked into and missing half the time, all the half baked unfinished enemies with 0.5 sec animation startups to their attacks, the kaizo romhack bullshit in sotfs, all the enemies acting like they're roller blading on a turn table whenever you try to circle, it's just gross in every way

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

You can fix the weird stick deadzones through Steam's controller configuration, at least. Doesn't improve any of the rest of it, though.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

I think (e: I'm guessing) the music in base DS2 was trying to straddle the line between the dark medieval fantasy feel of the first game with the wandering, dreamlike character they were trying for in 2. While that makes for great atmosphere it makes them instantly forgettable.

Like yeah I'm listening to Covetous Demon as I type this and I can 100% picture the encounter as I'm listening to it, but without any strong melodies or stronger recognizeable structure it just slides right out of my brain as soon as I'm done. The most I could tell you from memory is "it goes like, ahhhhhhhhhhhhh, ahhhhhhhhhhhh, da da da da." Lots of sustained choir notes punctuated with staccato percussion here and there but no theme characterizing who the Covetous Demon is

e: The very best soulsborne songs characterize the boss in some way. You see it a lot in 3 and Bloodborne, somewhat in 1, but nowhere in 2 (except the DLCs). If the best soulsborne boss songs are like "this is who you're fighting and how they feel about fighting you" then DS2's boss music was mostly "this is a boss battle and you should be awed, oooOOOoooOOOooo"

2 and 3 end up having kind of opposite problems to me for a lot of the soundtracks. 2 got a lot of understated tracks, I'm guessing because they probably weren't designing songs for finished fights and didn't know what to do with them. 3's got a lot that feel kind of... I don't know "interchangeably overblown"? Where they all start in immediately on orchestral swells and choral wailing. Some of them deserve it, some of them feel a bit melodramatic for the fight. Demon's Souls' songs with less instrumentation all stick out way more in my mind. And then the DeS remake went and made them DS3-y and ruined a lot of them.

Bloodborne and Sekiro seem saved from a lot of this, maybe because they mix up the instruments more, applying more wood and string instruments to keep them sounding different?

Dabir posted:

Technically ADP is Resistance 2, it just has the secondary effect of occasionally boosting agility.

It boosts your dodge role i-frames and lowers your estus chug time, so it's more vital than Resistance was, but it was a very inexplicable choice to make an opaque stat indirectly govern those things.

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
I got around the whole adp issue in ds2 by just dying all the time

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Gologle posted:

the only music i remmeber from these games is plin plin plon from Dark Souls and *nsert hellish screaming* from Bloodborne

i say it every time people start talking about their favorite music from souls games and i'll say it again, i do not know what a single music track from any souls game i've played sounds like, because of this

Grayshift
May 31, 2013
Something I made long ago to combat DS2's inexplicable agility jank.

Some fun facts: The formula for how it's calculated changes over a certain level of agility. And the actual agility breakpoints where you get another iframe were changed in the SotFS release. This is for SotFS, originally you needed 99 attunement and 99 adaptability to get 16 iframes.

So some classes in DS2 start with less than half the iframes of the DS1 fat roll, and no amount of stripping naked improves on that. DS2 was wildly unfriendly in many ways and it's only now that I know how to overcome those terribly rough edges through bitter experience that I can enjoy the things the game did well.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

lol it's been so long since i played 2 i forgot how wretched that was

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Haven't finished DS3 yet but imo the series had good music even from DeS. The vinland astraea theme, fools idol is great, the nexus theme is good too imo.

DS2 has the worst ost but it's because there are so many bosses and most of theme have generic tracks. The Majula theme is the best hub theme in the whole series though.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I'm so excited for ADP to come back for elden ring!

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
dark souls tracks I remember: firelink, majula, ornstein & smough, gwyn

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i know the giant butterfly had sort of an opera thing going

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Bananasaurus Rex posted:

I got around the whole adp issue in ds2 by just dying all the time

:hmmyes:

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
DS1 and DS2 had more forgettable music because the bosses were pretty easy. With Bloodborne and DS3 the From Outlook shifted from being less about "long dangerous level" to "game with difficult bosses in it" which means the player spends more time hearing the DS3 boss themes.

And the abysmal screeching.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Cowcaster posted:

i say it every time people start talking about their favorite music from souls games and i'll say it again, i do not know what a single music track from any souls game i've played sounds like, because of this

You complete animals need to bump the combat sounds down a level or two and bump the music up a level or two. It's not like you need all that squelching and clanging to be popping off at equal levels to know what to dodge.

goblin week posted:

DS1 and DS2 had more forgettable music because the bosses were pretty easy. With Bloodborne and DS3 the From Outlook shifted from being less about "long dangerous level" to "game with difficult bosses in it" which means the player spends more time hearing the DS3 boss themes.

And the abysmal screeching.

Now, now, everyone remembers the first three notes of Pinwheel's theme.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

actually i'm just experiencing the game as the sound designers intended maybe if they wanted me to hear the music they would've written a banger like rules of nature

Handsome Wife
Feb 17, 2001

I just beat DS3 for the first time a couple of days ago but I think the only DS music I could actually hum on command are Gwyn's theme and Majula.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Cowcaster posted:

actually i'm just experiencing the game as the sound designers intended maybe if they wanted me to hear the music they would've written a banger like rules of nature

I wouldn't mind if more of these games had some buttrock themes to visceral attack to. Perhaps we'll get some sick guitar riffs in Armored Core 6?

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

Handsome Wife posted:

I just beat DS3 for the first time a couple of days ago but I think the only DS music I could actually hum on command are Gwyn's theme and Majula.

VORDT OF THE BOREAL VALLEY

and Dancer music stand out

Lexorin
Jul 5, 2000

Mellow_ posted:

I was a moron and tried to get the item beyond the flame (fire seed) after The Rotten and then died, and then died to poison + caterpillar on the way back. Rip those boss souls I guess. Didn't even bother looking for a bonfire after I killed the boss.

The number of times I've beaten a boss and said to myself "I'll just take a peek up this ladder!" and then promptly died and then manage to die trying to "quickly" get the souls back....

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Nuns with Guns posted:

You complete animals need to bump the combat sounds down a level or two and bump the music up a level or two. It's not like you need all that squelching and clanging to be popping off at equal levels to know what to dodge.

Now, now, everyone remembers the first three notes of Pinwheel's theme.

You could completely mute all sound effects and the splashing in Flexile Sentry's arena would still drown out the music.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
The majula theme is the best safe area music in all SoulsBorne games.

Senpou temple theme is the best song in all SoulsBorne games.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

I like Sulyvahns music. And Ash Lake.. And… yes, well Majula is very good too, of course.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Phase 2 of Pontiff was one of the biggest pop off moments in all of Souls for me and I largely credit the music for that. I think they probably wrote his theme back when he was still the final boss of DS3.

Sum Gai
Mar 23, 2013
Hm- I would've said Sulyvahn was a solid, but pretty standard example of "scary church music" that's been part of the series since Demon's, but really started taking over the soundtrack in Bloodborne.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

I don't really remember any of the music on the count of my brain generally being too busy going OH poo poo OH gently caress DODGE WAIT NO THAT'S EARLY AAAH gently caress.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
I liked Dark Souls 2 at launch but I was unlucky enough to run into the Drangelic Castle gate bug which kind of killed my momentum. If you saved and quit the game after opening the gates for the first time by killing enemies near the soul vat things, but before actually entering the castle (which seemed like a great stopping point for the night!) the gates would permanently shut and there was no way to progress, you had to just start a new game. This was back in xbox 360/ps3 days so the patch took like a month after release to come out, major bummer lol.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still

The music on all the Dark Souls games is great, because it's all 'turned off while I listen to german industrial on spotify'.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Flint_Paper posted:

Is this a clown's opinion? Or were the real clowns the "why isn't this exactly the same as dark souls 1" opinion-havers we made along the way?

Dark Souls was most peoples' (citation needed) first souls game so there's a lot of emotional attachment there. DS2 has bad and good stuff that only exists there. A fair chunk of the bad stuff is technical (weird rear end animations, removal of iframes, janky movement, ADP) and immediately noticeable. Most of it is probably just selective memory, though. Like I remember DS2 as the "you're not getting in that fog without slowly killing all these guys" game but there's like... three instances of that.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I found the pace of dark souls too slow and didn't enjoy it. I didn't start playing souls games until bloodborne came out and even now I can't enjoy DS1 and have no desire to play the remaster I paid for.

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019

Mailer posted:

Dark Souls was most peoples' (citation needed) first souls game so there's a lot of emotional attachment there. DS2 has bad and good stuff that only exists there. A fair chunk of the bad stuff is technical (weird rear end animations, removal of iframes, janky movement, ADP) and immediately noticeable. Most of it is probably just selective memory, though. Like I remember DS2 as the "you're not getting in that fog without slowly killing all these guys" game but there's like... three instances of that.

DS2 does give you so, so many levels that it at least makes up for having to “waste” stat points on ADP. Like it’s incredibly easy to end the game and DLCs at level 150-200 depending on if you bother to “grind” (~20 minutes of time) Giant Lord or not.

DS2 SotFS could really use just one more patch to cut down on some of the enemy spam. The run up to Executioner’s Chariot and the Royal Swordsman clown car monster closet, and Shrine of Amana are the most egregious, but the game does expect you to fight basically every enemy in the game. If it cut out ~20% of the enemies it would be much, much more pleasant. If you could somehow magically remake DS2 in DS3s engine with its faster gameplay and cut out those 20% of enemies, I think DS2 would probably just be straight up better than DS3. (I know “magical remake” is doing a LOT of heavy lifting in that sentence.)

Lexorin
Jul 5, 2000

I forgot how lovely and tedious all the DS2 DLCs are. You go from doing respectable damage to most things to doing jack poo poo to almost everything even if they're "Weak" to whatever you've specialized in.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Lexorin posted:

I forgot how lovely and tedious all the DS2 DLCs are. You go from doing respectable damage to most things to doing jack poo poo to almost everything even if they're "Weak" to whatever you've specialized in.

seemed fine to me but I just went in with a giant hammer

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

AnEdgelord posted:

seemed fine to me but I just went in with fists of steel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
The DLC enemies and bosses are a big gently caress you to casters. The lowest resistance of a DLC enemy ~50% to magic, fire, & dark and ~60% to lightning. It only goes up from there.