Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

the_steve posted:

Ok, not gonna lie, I do sympathize with the fact that snow days are going to be a thing of the past.
Yeah, I know, you had to make them up at the end of the year, but still, waking up and seeing your school on the list of cancellations was like winning the loving lottery for me when I was young.

Most schools built snow days into the schedule so you didn't even really have to make them up.

I teach in higher-ed and I'm actually really happy with how our administration is handling it. Our policy is that we cannot require synchronous online attendance on snow days. We can post videos but are encouraged to keep things short because faculty, staff, and students may have responsibilities to take care of (primarily caring for children or siblings, family, etc) and we shouldn't make their lives more challenging. It's a surprisingly caring stance given the way society is nowadays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

I'm morbidly curious what that op-ed author thinks was the critical thing left out of the Constitution.

Edit: I caved in and checked. The two things I learned are that that website is 80% pop-up ads, and the author thinks the Constitution should say "Kamala Harris isn't allowed to be on the supreme court".

rydiafan fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jan 30, 2022

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Did Kamala Harris give even a hint that she aspires to the supreme court, or is that just veiled racism?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

rydiafan posted:

I'm morbidly curious what that op-ed author thinks was the critical thing left out of the Constitution.

Edit: I caved in and checked. The two things I learned are that that website is 80% pop-up ads, and the author thinks the Constitution should say "Kamala Harris isn't allowed to be on the supreme court".

Well they had that implicitly covered, what with putting a female slave into the SCOTUS wouldn't have been possible.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

By popular demand posted:

Did Kamala Harris give even a hint that she aspires to the supreme court, or is that just veiled racism?

Look into your heart and you know the answer already

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

:shepicide:

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Angepain posted:

I had forgotten about the legal action behind the Legal Action Comics mentioned here

From a quick google i can sadly not find the text of the certain masterwork Ted Rall's Balls .
I managed to finally dig up RallsBalls from a combination of usenet search and the Wayback Machine[/quote]:

quote:

Date: Wed, 4 Aug 1999 20:31:58 -0400

To:
TedRallsBalls@onelist.com

When I wrote my now-legendary feature about Art Spiegelman for the Village Voice, I knew I'd be starting some trouble, but I had no idea I'd get this kind of response.

And contrary to what some of you sourpusses might think, the vast majority of those e-mails have been favorable! Most folks want to salute me for having the balls to launch my brave attack against the cartoon business' own bald, chain-smoking Napoleon. I want you to know that your letters of support are far more valuable to me than the modest fee paid me by the Voice; I respect the opinions of each and every one of you, and I'd respond to each of you personally if only I had the time, (we all know what deadlines are like).

I hate to brag, but I've received so many of your e-mails that the server for my site, ([url]www.rall.com) crashed seven times in the last 48 hours.

So, for the sake of my server, (and my webmaster's sanity), I'd like you to direct all future commentary to TedRall'sBalls@onelist.com

My intention is that TedRall'sBalls@onelist.com should become an open discussion forum for everyone in the cartooning community

I want this to be a free zone; a place where we can all stop by and tell it like it is. A place where the disenfranchised underdogs of the comics scene can take a meat cleaver to all the comics industry's sacred cows, a rowdy punk free-for-all where courageous cartoonists with balls can boldly tear down all those imperious golden idols of yesterday.

I want this to be your place as much as it is mine, so grab that keyboard, and let's tell all the bastards out there exactly where they can go!!!

yours,

Ted Rall

The REAL VOICE of the comics community!
The link contains a number of follow-up emails from both Hellman and Rall.

I was hoping this would be funnier/more blatantly a parody, honestly.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

readingatwork posted:

Now I'm mad because a series about a satanic Hogwarts for demon children would be rad in the hands of somebody else.

Sinfest is full of ideas that could be good if someone else was doing something with them, but because they're in Sinfest they're going to be bad and possibly used as part of transphobic propaganda (or, recently, anti-science propaganda).

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Since GM media sucks and deleted all of their content older than 2-3 years old, is there a spot that has all of the older Kelly cartoons?

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

:kstare:Sinfest Sunday!

...is this shadow thing a reference to thing that happened earlier in Sinfest? I just do not understand it or why its happening.
I know Slick has some demonic portion of him made manifest, and apparently she does too. Ishida just…didn’t bring it up for several years.

Now the fun question: is she bi and chastising it for her secret attraction to the devil, or because she is a lesbian chastising it for her secret attraction to a man? I hope you’re not betting against bi erasure!

UZworm
Feb 9, 2009

Young wild Elsweyrian
C'mon baby, do you have a soul gem
I feel like I could read a 200-page dissertation on the characters and their interactions in the history of Sinfest and I still wouldn't have a loving clue what's going on in any of these

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

readingatwork posted:

Now I'm mad because a series about a satanic Hogwarts for demon children would be rad in the hands of somebody else.

This is just going to end with Prof.Wokeler teaching why Critical Race Theory BAD.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

:australia:

Rowe:

David Rowe is back and he's crammed about a billion stories into his cartoon. The bigger recent ones: (Opposition leader) Anthony Albanese says Labor would provide 'limited' number of free RATs, would manufacture medical supplies in Australia. And the reason Scott Morrison is wearing a snorkel and cuddling a koala is because he pledged a billion over a decade for the Great Barrier Reef and $50 mil for koalas as the election year truly gets started.

Knight:

Broelman:

Warren Brown:

Downes:

Lethbridge:

Queensland premier Annastacia Palaszczuk who is facing calls for an integrity inquiry. Does Annastacia Palaszczuk's government have an integrity problem? (ABC).

Leak, Son of Leak:

Opposition leader Anthony Albanese who has been saying Australians should be getting free RATs like in other countries.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Regarding Palaszczuk, didn't she step down and was replaced due to a corruption thing? Why did she get her job back?

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

That was Gladys Berejiklian in New South Wales, also Liberal rather than Labor. Lethbridge is a cartoonist for the Courier Mail in Queensland so he covers Palaszczuk more often.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Trapezium Dave posted:

That was Gladys Berejiklian in New South Wales, also Liberal rather than Labor. Lethbridge is a cartoonist for the Courier Mail in Queensland so he covers Palaszczuk more often.

Oh geeze, that's embarrassing. Sorry for my mistake!

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019

UZworm posted:

I feel like I could read a 200-page dissertation on the characters and their interactions in the history of Sinfest and I still wouldn't have a loving clue what's going on in any of these

Ishida's main issue, aside from his incredibly lovely views, is that he's committed to 7 strips a week when its pretty clear he can't handle the workload. I don't know a ton about art but just drawing the strips must take up most of his time, and so he's got no time to plan ahead, meaning that the strip just meanders from idea to idea without any meaningful setup or payoff, a self serious dickhead's stream of consciousness.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Vagabong posted:

a self serious dickhead's stream of consciouspiss.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

By popular demand posted:

Biden said he's going to nominate the first black woman to the Supreme Court. Kamala Harris is extremely unpopular. Right wingers believe that Dems are worried her unpopularity will hurt Biden's reelection chances in 2024, so they are pushing Biden to nominate Harris to the court so he can get a new, more popular VP.

That's it. That's all the "Kamala Harris will be on SCOTUS" thing is based on.

Which reminds me, I didn't comment on it originally but...

Raised By Birds posted:

Dana Summers

All this anti-white racism is preventing white men from getting their proper supermajority representation on the court.

This poo poo is infuriating because it's the same racist poo poo as when they were fearmongering about airlines wanting more women and minority pilots. Biden wanting to appoint a black woman is bad because they think that black women are inherently inferior to white men. Biden couldn't possibly appoint a black woman who was qualified for the job because they don't exist! It also can't just be a matter of "anyone who Biden appoints is bad" because if it were, they wouldn't be whining about how qualified white men exist too (because even if Biden nominated another white guy they'd just accuse him of being a leftist commie too, so it's not like that would be better to them).

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Vagabong posted:

Ishida's main issue, aside from his incredibly lovely views, is that he's committed to 7 strips a week when its pretty clear he can't handle the workload. I don't know a ton about art but just drawing the strips must take up most of his time, and so he's got no time to plan ahead, meaning that the strip just meanders from idea to idea without any meaningful setup or payoff, a self serious dickhead's stream of consciousness.
I’d say maybe the issue is that with his Patreon gutted he has to find freelance work and that’s impacting Sinfest, but the problem is that the comic’s writing was always this bad.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
I saw an argument from a moderate right winger who said they just didn't like the race/identity being the "first" thing. This seems like a reasonable argument on the surface, but I don't feel it actually holds any water and is in fact stupid and regressive upon deeper examination.

My argument is that given the current makeup of the court, being a black woman is definitely a good first qualification for a justice. The supreme court should be diverse.

I think the court desperately needs someone who doesn't look or think anything at all like Mitch McConnell does, because Mitch McConnell has used his position to poison the court with people who either look or think just like he does and it has been incredibly bad for the nation as a whole.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
https://twitter.com/fartsbestinky/status/1487883694304120832?t=HFmI4-ZDqWZGdWqzwvTfBA&s=19

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

count_von_count posted:

:golfclap:

For reference, here is the current front page of :911: and cross dot com:

Soros is taking over America for the low, low price of $125m

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Indiana_Krom posted:

I saw an argument from a moderate right winger who said they just didn't like the race/identity being the "first" thing. This seems like a reasonable argument on the surface, but I don't feel it actually holds any water and is in fact stupid and regressive upon deeper examination.

It's also bullshit because if a Republican said they were going to nominate a black woman then right wingers would go "This is brilliant because liberals will oppose her and it will show they're the real racists for not wanting a black woman on the court!"

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Twelve by Pies posted:

It's also bullshit because if a Republican said they were going to nominate a black woman then right wingers would go "This is brilliant because liberals will oppose her and it will show they're the real racists for not wanting a black woman on the court!"

They had three opportunities in four years and didn't do it.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Silly Burrito posted:

They had three opportunities in four years and didn't do it.

They did do it, but with a white Christian woman.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

ACB was at least partially (if not completely) chosen because of the sex pest accusations about Kavanaugh, so when she got named the right was all "Aha, they won't be able to make any sex pest accusations about her since she's a woman!"

UZworm
Feb 9, 2009

Young wild Elsweyrian
C'mon baby, do you have a soul gem
It was also a little bit their usual identity politics trolling, much like how they nominated Clarence Thomas after Thurgood Marshall retired, were the first party to actually get a woman onto the court, etc.

Every time they put someone that ISN'T a white man into a position of power it's solely for their glee at watching Democrats look at a play on their own superficial identity politics and try to claim it's bad when the GOP does it

Raised By Birds
May 5, 2013
Steve Breen

Jeff Danziger

Al Goodwyn

Walt Handelsman

Joe Heller

Clay Jones

Steve Kelley

Michael Ramirez

Tom Stiglich

Gary Varvel

Tony Branco

quote:

What Could Go Wrong?
After the disaster Biden created in Afghanistan can He be trusted with the Ukraine-Russia issue?
In which the tendency to Randomly capitalize words in a Sentence results in The deification of Biden.

quote:

Birds of a Feather
This is the Democrat party of Minnesota but it could be any blue state in America.
PARENTS
ARE
TERRORIST

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Politoons 2022: PARENTS ARE TERRORIST

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Is there a story for the Parents Are Terrorist one? Is it about anti-mask school-board poo poo?

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

I AM GRANDO posted:

Is there a story for the Parents Are Terrorist one? Is it about anti-mask school-board poo poo?
Pretty much. There was a story awhile back about how the FBI had investigated some school anti-masker groups to see if they were coordinated or had shady backers or whatever the gently caress. Naturally the right wing took this to mean THE DEMOCRATS THINK INNOCENT GOD-FEARING PARENTS ARE TERRORISTS AND ARE DEVOTING 100% OF THE FBI'S AGENTS TO KILLING ALL OF THEM!!!!

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Pro criminal laws

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
:siren:Reminder: nominations for the 2021 Kellies close February 7th.:siren:

So far I've got the dataset set up and have processed about 10% of the nominees.

Read the 2021 thread for candidates and place your nominations in the nominations thread. So far we've only got one set of additional nominations. I may give another nomination opportunity once the list is up. If you want to be sure a cartoon is in the running, please nominate it.

Additionally, I need volunteers to help get wiki sours up to date. Let me know if you can help with adding material to the wiki; there's a lot of data entry to do, but individuals can tackle even a part of one page and make a huge difference. Participants who help out will get a free forums upgrade of your choice.

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021
Has there ever been a Democrat an American any politician ever actually going on record in favor of late-term abortions?

Fenix Alheron
Oct 21, 2010

Pants Donkey posted:

I know Slick has some demonic portion of him made manifest, and apparently she does too. Ishida just…didn’t bring it up for several years.

Now the fun question: is she bi and chastising it for her secret attraction to the devil, or because she is a lesbian chastising it for her secret attraction to a man? I hope you’re not betting against bi erasure!

Considering Ishida posted this comic on his twitter a little more then a year ago, I'm going with "gently caress Tatsuya Ishida".

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

I can find no fault with the first panel though.

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

Does he really expect us to look down on boner-church, an honest boner peddler and a brave hero campaigning for boner rights?

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Kellies Nomination: Worst A Thing Happened

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Libra posted:

Does he really expect us to look down on boner-church, an honest boner peddler and a brave hero campaigning for boner rights?

And why would the boner activists be threatened by a nonbonery? more boners for the rest of us.