Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

No. 6 posted:

Anime and videogames in my movie review chat? It's mor

Whatever you know the meme

RLM never talks about anime, and neither should anyone ITT.

Video games… Pre-Rec was a thing, so we’ll just have to take the L on that one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Voltaire? More like Voltorb

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Sydney Bottocks posted:

My pet theory on why RLM is so low energy lately is because, instead of dragging Rich Evans along to whatever movie theater so he can share the gift of his laughter and saying "WHAT THE gently caress" with the rest of the audience, they sit around at home or their studio because of covid, and watch movies on a streaming platform. Because they have less investment in the movie (because they didn't pay movie theater prices or have to go anywhere to watch it that isn't someone's front room or the viewing room in their studio), they give less of a poo poo about reviewing stuff. It's hard to get worked up over a movie you just clicked on to watch versus one you actually got up and out of the house to go and see.

There's also a few things which comes with a lot of long-term content review/creation:

- Sooner or later you've covered the depths of all the well-known or easy to riff-on classic "so bad it's good" stuff without just repeating yourself or other creators

- Their likelihood of stumbling on hidden gems and being completely blindsided by it is low. I was actually kinda amazed they hadn't heard of "surviving edged weapons". They have to rely on the "Diamond Cobra vs White fox" stuff from the handful of few current clueless creators and hope it doesn't get taken down.

- How much more are they gonna have to say about studio assembly line big blockbusters? Best they can do is when something batshit comes out like Malignant, or hoping a major film franchise shits the bed.

I'm actually happy they're not doing performative wacky reactions to stuff and talking about what they want to talk about. We have enough content creators making wacky reaction faces to the same Minecraft game they've been playing for five years, let them say "eh, it's alright". If they're lucky they'll have a few standout surprise episodes a year and otherwise they're going to be closer to a conventional movie review channel.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

thanks for all the jpgs of poo poo games!!!

Cowcaster posted:

what's a videogame

No. 6 posted:

Anime and videogames in my movie review chat? It's mor

Whatever you know the meme
I'm making an aesthetic observation you dumbass goddamn babies
stop living your life as a series of reactions

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

RLM are our friends, and aren't here solely to entertain us.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Chill Cubone. I wasn't commenting on your posting, just the general discussion.

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

As long as there's terrible Star Trek shows to torture Rich with I think they'll find enough content

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Mac and Cheese posted:

very early take but the woman in the house across the street from the girl in the window is loving hysterical so far

i haven't seen something both parody and exemplify a genre this well since the cabin in the woods

check it out maybe!!!

The ending is hilarious. It probably could have just been a movie though; I dunno that there's enough to justify 8 episodes.

I think the best way to watch it might be just to skip everything and watch the last episode for Kristen Bell in a 10-minute-long knockdown drag out with a 9-year-old.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Cubone posted:

I'm making an aesthetic observation you dumbass goddamn babies
stop living your life as a series of reactions

no

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

We have more terrible Picard and Discovery which will sustain us

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
no mention of cronenberg originally being hired to direct total recall? hell, all the mutant stuff is holdover from his drafts of the script. dude invented kuato ffs.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

Hackers film 1995 posted:

the worst thing about anime besides the rape and pedo poo poo is that it infects every online conversation eventually. anime fans cant enjoy their perversions in solitude like the rest of us do.

it's definitely this and not the weirdos who think it's all rape and pedo poo poo

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Should have had Jay in on the discussion

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

flabbergasted that the person with a pikachu hoodie avatar would be getting defensive of anime

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

RealityWarCriminal posted:

it's definitely this and not the weirdos who think it's all rape and pedo poo poo

Enough of it is rape and pedo poo poo that if you randomly spun a Wheel of Anime, you’d probably only have a 1-in-10 chance of it NOT landing on a movie full of rape and pedo poo poo.

Flinger
Oct 16, 2012

I will defend anime discussion as long as this thread keeps being the de facto star war thread. Newest star war i saw was episode 1, 11 year old me had better taste than you manbabies

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

as someone who has watched and enjoyed shitload of anime over the past 30 years i am 100% comfortable with laymen generalizing it as rape and pedo poo poo

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Flinger posted:

I will defend anime discussion as long as this thread keeps being the de facto star war thread. Newest star war i saw was episode 1, 11 year old me had better taste than you manbabies

RLM kinda got famous talking about Star Wars poo poo. I’m as sick of Star Wars talk as anyone, but I can’t say it has nothing to do with RLM.

When’s the last time RLM even acknowledged that anime existed. :smugbert:

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
shut the hell up about japanese animation!!!!!!!

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
I don't even watch anime but I respect it

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Cowcaster posted:

as someone who has watched and enjoyed shitload of anime over the past 30 years i am 100% comfortable with laymen generalizing it as rape and pedo poo poo

similarly as someone who has played and enjoyed a shitload of videogames over the past 30 years i am 100% comfortable with laymen generalizing it as a form of toy, for children.

and to bring it full circle, as someone who has watched and enjoyed at least a couple marvel and star wars movies, i am 100% comfortable with laymen generalizing them as dogshit

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

be secure and confident enough in your opinions that someone not liking the same things as you or making fun of them doesn't feel like a personal attack

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jan 30, 2022

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

RLM kinda got famous talking about Star Wars poo poo. I’m as sick of Star Wars talk as anyone, but I can’t say it has nothing to do with RLM.

When’s the last time RLM even acknowledged that anime existed. :smugbert:

What if I'm watching star wars anime

mulligan
Jul 4, 2008

I typed random avatar and this happened.

Randarkman posted:

Huh? There were several good to great spotlight episodes in 2020 and 2021. New York Ninja episode was also good, I saw some people here making GBS threads on it, but it was actualy kind of cool for drawing attention to that, and after having seen one of that dude's actual released movies I'd say the recreation of it was pretty drat spot on.

2020 had THE best episode ever (Ben and Arthur) in fact I don't think I've ever laughed harder at RLM episode, the whole LA starving actors using the bathroom as a set was hilarious.

Post Covid also had "Men of Honor" and the never been kissed story (literal RLM lore) so yeah I don't K kw wtf you guys are expecting from this channel.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

mulligan posted:

2020 had THE best episode ever (Ben and Arthur) in fact I don't think I've ever laughed harder at RLM episode, the whole LA starving actors using the bathroom as a set was hilarious.

Post Covid also had "Men of Honor" and the never been kissed story (literal RLM lore) so yeah I don't K kw wtf you guys are expecting from this channel.

I think their spotlight episodes are great, especially when they try and rescue the movie or give low budget tips from their experience with Space Cop.

I honestly look forward the most to their spotlight episodes now.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

Cowcaster posted:

be secure and confident enough in your opinions that someone not liking the same things as you or making fun of them doesn't feel like a personal attack

i was just going to say something like this. people take pop culture way too seriously. i try to not be insulting to individuals on the internet even here on the evil sa forums because i am a nice person irl, but hoo boy i better not be flippant about anime lol.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Getting into the fandom

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

hahaha i love u hodor

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I LOVE ANIME

Cannibal Llama
Jan 3, 2020

Cannibal Llama sounds like it could be a zany intentional throwback to mid OOs Penguin of Doom tier usernames but it also sounds like it could be the name of the lamest possible Metal Gear Solid boss so please don't make fun of it.

Shinjobi posted:

I LOVE ANIME

I think anime is animazing!

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Getting into the fandom

I'm not sure what this means but all I can think is anime piss christ

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

The last movie I cared about in theaters was Blade Runner 2049 and that was in 2017.

That saving private Ryan gif of him aging extremely quickly, except it’s Mike

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Tip posted:

I'm not sure what this means but all I can think is anime piss christ

Yeah pretty much.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

hemale in pain posted:

What if I'm watching star wars anime

How did you feel about David Harbour's godawful performance in Star Wars Visions?

Vakal
May 11, 2008

poisonpill posted:

That saving private Ryan gif of him aging extremely quickly, except it’s Mike

I prefer to think it as the scene with Mr. Burns in the future finding his bear again.

Except it would be Jay's head on the dog.

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021
anigay

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Arc Hammer posted:

How did you feel about David Harbour's godawful performance in Star Wars Visions?

I gotta be honest I didn't watch it but he was terrible in stranger things season 3.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Getting into the fandom

:what:

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Tip posted:

I'm not sure what this means

God, how I envy you