Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Senator Drinksalot posted:

If storage wasn't such a premium on the deck i would probably rip all my switch carts and just run yuzu on the deck.

How much of a difference does read speed make for emulation anyhow? Presumably, Switch would top out at around microsd read speeds since it can use that as primary storage so emulation shouldn't need to read faster than that right?
So you should be able to run those off of fast microsd cards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

It doesn’t make that much of a difference for emulation.

Like not even enough for it to even matter in the slightest.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
it doesnt matter because the cpu wont be able to push yuzu at full speed

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Hot drat, they've got cards that can read at 150MB/s these days.
That's basically comparable to highest-end HDDs so that seems like a pretty promising option for running older games off of from the pre-SSD era

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Hot drat, they've got cards that can read at 150MB/s these days.
That's basically comparable to highest-end HDDs so that seems like a pretty promising option for running older games off of from the pre-SSD era

steam deck is limited to uhs-I at around 100mb/s

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
shocking amount of people apparently blissfully unaware of the capabilities of the ahrdware theyre paying a lot of money for lol

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Stux posted:

shocking amount of people apparently blissfully unaware of the capabilities of the ahrdware theyre paying a lot of money for lol

nobody has ever accused me of being good with money

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

however, people posting like the steam deck is going to compete with the switch in year one or breathlessly repeating fluff rumors about sony buying EA as if they're based in reality will never not be hilarious to me. these are wild rear end posts, just amazing posts. i live for these posts, i want them to continue, i do not want you to stop posting.

i think my favorite (and to be clear this was mostly flame wars in the switch thread) was people saying it would kill switch sales because people would pirate ROMS and emulate it on the deck. like the normies who buy Mario Kart are going to know poo poo about emulation.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

If the switch emulator "can't run at full speed" will that mean low FPS, or will it mean slow motion gameplay?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Infinite Karma posted:

If the switch emulator "can't run at full speed" will that mean low FPS, or will it mean slow motion gameplay?

Slow motion.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care
The deck has blast processing, it won't be an issue

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

Infinite Karma posted:

Don't listen to Stux he doesn't know what he is posting about. Its all speculation.

Probably it won't run switch emulation the best or better than a desktop with equivalent hardware, but we don't know. Also emulation tends to get more and more performant as time goes on, so its possible even if it can't run it now (and its probably title dependent and not an across the board thing) it could run it in the near future.

Kwolok fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Jan 30, 2022

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

How much of a difference does read speed make for emulation anyhow? Presumably, Switch would top out at around microsd read speeds since it can use that as primary storage so emulation shouldn't need to read faster than that right?
So you should be able to run those off of fast microsd cards

I mean I'm getting a 1tb sd card but it will more than likely be filled with PC games.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Switch emulation is already running well on flagship smartphones, pretty sure the deck is beefy enough to handle 720p switch emulation. It's not like the switch has some crazy architecture, it was literally built with left over Nvidia smartphone parts that didn't sell well.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Presumably that pirate smartphone port cheats performance a bit since most phones run the same CPU architecture as switch, ARM>x86 emulation is a lot of overhead and Deck's CPUs aren't clocked particularly high.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Switch emulation is already running well on flagship smartphones

No, it isn't. There's one android switch emulator, it's closed source and only works with its bundled controller. It gets 8-15 frames in BoTW on a snapdragon 888.

It's impressive as hell that it works as well as it does, but it's not "running well"

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Switch emulation is already running well on flagship smartphones, pretty sure the deck is beefy enough to handle 720p switch emulation. It's not like the switch has some crazy architecture, it was literally built with left over Nvidia smartphone parts that didn't sell well.
If by "already running well" you mean running BOTW at like 10fps.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Kwolok posted:

Don't listen to Stux he doesn't know what he is posting about. Its all speculation.

Probably it won't run switch emulation the best or better than a desktop with equivalent hardware, but we don't know. Also emulation tends to get more and more performant as time goes on, so its possible even if it can't run it now (and its probably title dependent and not an across the board thing) it could run it in the near future.

lol, its fairly low end laptop specs on a tiny power budget, it won't get anywhere near a desktop. There are some unknowns as AMD hasn't released anything with that few or such low power rdna2 cores yet, and the 720p screen will help offset the gpu shortcomings, but this isn't some wholly unknown piece of kit; its all commodity hardware (semi-custom nature of the apu nonwithstanding).

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I mean I'm getting a 1tb sd card but it will more than likely be filled with PC games.

Ooh it does have a nice usb-C port though so presumably someone could put together a case that splits the usb port to hold one of those little nib flash drives or mount an entire external ssd to the back of the case or something and those can really push read speeds so...

I dunno, I'll guess we'll see what comes together if they catch on. There are definitely plenty of options

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

No, it isn't. There's one android switch emulator, it's closed source and only works with its bundled controller. It gets 8-15 frames in BoTW on a snapdragon 888.

It's impressive as hell that it works as well as it does, but it's not "running well"

Well 15 frames is literally half the target fps on the switch on just a smart phone so something with beefier hardware like a deck could definitely pump those numbers much closer to a target 30.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

Strangely enough, the only reason I'm hesitating to go through with my Steam Deck preorder is the fact that 480p and 800x600 classic games (which make up a big chunk of what I'd want to play on this thing) won't be able to integer scale to the screen, so they'll either be tiny or stretched and bit blurry.

How many games that support 800x600 didn't also support 1024x768? That doesn't quite use the full screen vertically, but pretty close.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
you could just emulate botw wiiu and it’d be fine

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Kwolok posted:

Well 15 frames is literally half the target fps on the switch on just a smart phone so something with beefier hardware like a deck could definitely pump those numbers much closer to a target 30.

they're two completely different architectures and software stacks, how do you figure?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

It will do everything up to the GC (and probably the wii) no question and it will make them look pretty drat good.

That’s a huge library of games.

PS3 is still kinda whack even on modern machines but it’s getting there i guess.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

homeless snail posted:

If by "already running well" you mean running BOTW at like 10fps.

Must be on a game by game thing because I saw a video of it running dread at 60fps on a galaxy fold

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

lol, its fairly low end laptop specs on a tiny power budget, it won't get anywhere near a desktop. There are some unknowns as AMD hasn't released anything with that few or such low power rdna2 cores yet, and the 720p screen will help offset the gpu shortcomings, but this isn't some wholly unknown piece of kit; its all commodity hardware (semi-custom nature of the apu nonwithstanding).

the gpu is largely irrelevant, the cpu being 3.5ghz max on a 15w zen 2 is going to bottleneck most of the big games.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

you could just emulate botw wiiu and it’d be fine

yeah should be fine with wii u stuff

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

Stux posted:

yeah it’s weird you see it on Reddit and Twitter too people thinking this $500 portable is gonna do flawless switch emulation. A fool and his money…

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
The steam deck is going to be great at emulation, but expecting it to emulate current or even last gen consoles is a big ask. It very well might be able to handle everything up to PS3 and WiiU but expecting anything beyond that is unrealistic. A lot of the third-party switch games also have PC versions, and there are some WiiU versions of big current-gen titles like BOTW that might work.

You can get a pretty good idea of the kind of emulation performance the Deck will have by looking at ETA Prime's youtube channel. He benchmarks a lot of systems that fit into the same general power bracket.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I don't even think desktops can emulate the PS3 properly lol

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
Wiiu for sure, PS3 can’t see it emulating well with the hardware on the deck.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Stux posted:

the gpu is largely irrelevant, the cpu being 3.5ghz max on a 15w zen 2 is going to bottleneck most of the big games.

Yeah, none of the unknowns are about the cpu, since there are low power 4c/8t zen2 chips out there.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I don't even think desktops can emulate the PS3 properly lol

It's been really easy to hit 60 fps PS3 emulation on integrated graphics for a couple years now. Most modern APUs will do it no problem.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Dramicus posted:

It's been really easy to hit 60 fps PS3 emulation on integrated graphics for a couple years now. Most modern APUs will do it no problem.

shows how much time flies, I always thought it was one of those Problem Platforms like the 64 to an extent

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

Dramicus posted:

It's been really easy to hit 60 fps PS3 emulation on integrated graphics for a couple years now.

For real??? On big games?

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Quantum of Phallus posted:

For real??? On big games?

Yes, even the toughest ones are handled well by the 5xxx Ryzen APUs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGoqc2NyhYc

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
That’s cool to hear. Love PS3 stuff.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Dramicus posted:

The GPU has never been an issue, the CPU is the limiting factor. Anything modern and 6+core works great but your typical 4 core haswell / skylake era chip is still going to struggle hard.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

The GPU has never been an issue, the CPU is the limiting factor. Anything modern and 6+core works great but your typical 4 core haswell / skylake era chip is still going to struggle hard.

Sure, but I said APU which is a CPU/GPU combo that is normally targeted at cheap/value systems. And they handle PS3 with no issues now.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Iirc PS3 emulation has made huge gains in the last couple years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
every computer now includes a PS3