Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: bunnyofdoom)

Gros Tarla
Dec 30, 2008

I believe the reason many people are unfamiliar with block heaters may be due to age. They used to be a big deal back when carburated engines were common, you really needed them to warm up before driving out or the engine risked seizing. Nowadays, fuel injected cars and new synthetic oils only really require the engine to warm up for a few seconds before you are good to go, even when it's -30c outside. Most modern cars are built this way now.

The only need for a block heater these days would be to help preserve your battery in the cold, but really, only when it's already in bad shape and would need to be changed anyways.

Full disclaimer: not a mechanic, but what I've been told so take it with a grain of salt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

ChickenDoodle posted:

I had to drive the 1 on the way east to help a friend move and Jesus loving Christ, we found the start of the rally driving down in Burnaby and they were blocking all lanes of traffic waving their loving Don’t Tread On Me flags on the ends of hockey sticks, with fascist black Canadian flags all over the place. It just kept going, and going, and going, for kilometers. There are so many people on overpasses cheering them on and their kids waiving flags.

It’s 100% a Fascist rally out here, under the guise of “supporting truckers”.

yeah I’ve been seeing a bunch of “yet they support mandates for drivers licenses :psyduck: It just doesn’t make sense!” posts here and it’s like:

stop trying to find logic in boilerplate fascism.

All of this—the elevation of “working class” men, the general rage at LGBTQ folk and ethnic minorities, the fear of a “globalist corporatist” (Jews) takeover, the hatred for journalists, the hatred and mistrust of scientists and medical authorities, the love of businessmen/cops/military, disdain for civilian authorities, hatred of liberalism, etc.....it’s just run-of-the-mill fascism, there’s nothing deeper or unique to COVID.

It’s a brain disease that seems to happen to certain people, usually in an ethnically/socially dominant but often economically precarious (even if said precariousness is between “top and second from top”) position, when their ironclad belief in black/white biblical literalism and a just world smashes headfirst into a reality that only becomes more obviously complicated and grey.

If you haven’t watched the Dan Olson doc on Flat Earthers, it actually does an excellent job at concisely pointing to what are some of the core neuroses that turn a run-of-the-mill conservative into a full blown fascist.

https://youtu.be/JTfhYyTuT44

It’s basically people who never got over the death of God, so to speak. They insist that the ivory tower eggheads in Ottowa/DC are wrong, the journalists and the activists and the scientists are wrong, the queers and the sluts and the minorities are wrong, because that makes their interpretation of the universe—a simple one where God rewards good people and punishes bad people and mysteries don’t need to be solved —correct. The bad things that happen, the reason we aren’t happy and prosperous, all of it is the fault of the people who make us turn away from God.

lunael1982
Oct 19, 2012
About block heaters.

In Finland almost every car has block heater and it is used when temperature goes below 0 celcius (some people even start using it when the temp hits under +5 degrees celcius, but this seems kind of silly to me). The logic that is told in here is that starting frozen engine really damages it long term but I don't have any idea if it is true or not. They teach us in here that every cold start in frozen temperatures is same as driving several hundred kilometers for engine life.

So in short. 95% of Finns use block heaters when the temp hits under zero celcius and we are kind of neurotic about that.

lunael1982 fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Jan 30, 2022

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
The warmer your engine is when you start it, the better it is for its long term health, lower emissions of unburned hydrocarbon, the easier starting will be (letting you keep a weaker battery for longer) and the sooner it will warm up to de-ice your glass. There’s no reason not to use them once you get below -10 or so IMO.

The nuclear option is a fuel-fired parking heater from Webasto or Espar which are boilers with a pump which heat up your coolant without needing to plug in. They can be integrated into your climate control and run the fan to get your interior toasty before you even start the engine. I don’t get why they’ve never caught on in this country, they’re a factory option on lots of vehicles in Europe where it doesn’t typically get as cold as it does here.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.
Seems to be a lot of conflicting information but I'm very doubtful that anyone needs a block heater in a modern car. It's been well into the negative 20s for 2 weeks here and no issue at all. Modern engines get fully lubricated with synthetic or hybrid oils within a few seconds. The starter maybe needs an extra tick or 2 but that's it.
If your car is in decent shape you don't need a block heater. I will make exceptions if you're hitting -40 or something but it'll probably be fine even then.

I suspect areas with widespread usage of heaters are just culturally still used to the days of carburetors etc. or are Winnipeg. Or just have really old cars?

You can simply look up the operating temperatures of cold-weather appropriate synthetic oils. They flow smoothly down to -50 or even lower. And just make sure to not have a crap battery.

Capital Letdown
Oct 5, 2006
i still cant fix red text avs someone tell me the bbcode for that im an admin and dont know this lmao
I am ashamed to admit that I have never even heard of a block heater before this discussion.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

I haven’t seen a block heater since my dad’s 1980s civic hatchback with the sequential shift and choke knob. We lived in Ottawa at the time when that was a thing as well. Then Guelph where the parking spaces in our area had electrical outlets for block heaters in the winter.
By 2000 I heard block heaters weren’t necessary and forgot about them since.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Shumagorath posted:

Downtown Ottawa has a very disproportionate homeless population so that's especially disgusting. SGH is overflowing into the street in all but the harshest weather, and there's the entire market plus lovely fast food on Rideau between there and Parliament.

Yeah but you have to wear masks in these establishments, and to hear the "patriots" tell the story, most of those places are rolling out the gently caress OFF mat

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
Modern cars don’t “need” a block heater, but when it’s -30 out, they sure appreciate one.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

flakeloaf posted:

Yeah but you have to wear masks in these establishments, and to hear the "patriots" tell the story, most of those places are rolling out the gently caress OFF mat
:lol: at someone being so gross they're refused service at the Rideau McDonald's

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-news/mcdonalds-brawl-on-rideau-features-punches-baby-raccoon-produced-from-sweater/

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

If you take a car with a block heater to California people think the cord in the front means it’s an electric car and you can park in the real convenient parking spots they have set up everywhere.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Trukkfucklers showing their true colours and a lot of backpedalling once the "Canadian flag with swastikas drawn on it" started getting flown

I hope the fartsniffers dancing on the tomb of the unknown soldier have a very nice time

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Did that idiot they just interviewed on the CBC say that theres now over 2.5 million people in Ottawa? Are they just so sold on the rhetoric they actually believe that or is it just repeating the bullshit to try and save face? Why are these people being given any airtime at all??

Also what the gently caress was with that CBC reporter saying "Its good to hear from one of the protesters and their side of this." No it loving is not! I feel like Im losing my god drat marbles with how stupidly this is being handled by everyone involved. :psyduck:

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

They have always been divorced from reality. It literally does not matter what they say, you can't believe a word of it and people who listen condition themselves to believe untruth in general.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

40 million Canadians protesting in Ottawa today. Wild stuff.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Furnaceface posted:

Also what the gently caress was with that CBC reporter saying "Its good to hear from one of the protesters and their side of this." No it loving is not! I feel like Im losing my god drat marbles with how stupidly this is being handled by everyone involved. :psyduck:

Their side of the story is literally all CBC has been publishing for the last week+.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Like a true freedom loving Canadian patriot I'm going to stay in bed, drink an overhopped disgusting IPA from some trendy craft brewery that can only make 5 different variations of IPA, and watch the Canadian vs USA footba....I mean soccer game. It is my patriotic duty to do so. Also there will be significantly less swastika flags.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Cocaine Bear posted:

40 million Canadians protesting in Ottawa today. Wild stuff.

bullshit, there's no way ottawa has a stronger event horizon than toronto

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

What really pisses me of is that there are serious issues within the trucking industry that truckers deserve to protest for.

These dipshits have stolen the truckers' voice, and burned the truckers' political and public good-will for their own dipshit ends.

Driving a truck is skilled labour and you're taking on enormous personal liability when you take the job and your reward is long hours, rampant wage theft and abuse from every direction.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Powershift posted:

What really pisses me of is that there are serious issues within the trucking industry that truckers deserve to protest for.

These dipshits have stolen the truckers' voice, and burned the truckers' political and public good-will for their own dipshit ends.

Driving a truck is skilled labour and you're taking on enormous personal liability when you take the job and your reward is long hours, rampant wage theft and abuse from every direction.

Yeah, the fact they've honed in on the one thing that is not actually a problem is maddening. Huge, huge problems in almost every aspect of the industry, and here they are, focusing on the one thing that is actually decent policy.

But of course, it's probably like aviation. For every one dipshit that whinges about the vaccine thing, there's 9 more that are pleased to never have to deal with that stupid fucker any more.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
It's funny that they've picked on cross-border travel when the US is already preventing unvaccinated truckers from entering. They know inter-provincial traffic is next but no one's talking about that even in the federal government now.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
I know I shouldn't be stunned by the hypocrisy anymore.

UCP MLA going to support and photograph the blocking of a land border when his own party passed a bill making that thing illegal but only for brown people or environmentalists

ah well...

https://twitter.com/TheBreakdownAB/status/1487876994893185024?s=20&t=CV3kVZbfg59eYwEcZeb-0w

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Shumagorath posted:

Downtown Ottawa has a very disproportionate homeless population so that's especially disgusting. SGH is overflowing into the street in all but the harshest weather, and there's the entire market plus lovely fast food on Rideau between there and Parliament.

So not only were there some of these protesters harassing staff and volunteers because they wanted to steal food from the homeless, they also assaulted someone who stays in the shelter. Then, when security came to help, they hurled racist slurs at the guard.

"Peaceful!"

Fortunately, people saw this and started donating to the shelter to offset the cost of the food and they got so much traffic at one point their site crashed.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Pleads posted:

Their side of the story is literally all CBC has been publishing for the last week+.

It think you'll find they were balance with headlines like:

Mass protests in Ottawa maybe be a challenge to some politicians... And an OPPORTUNITY for others

And

Canadians come out to show mass support for truckers! and othersmaybe disagree, we didn't ask

Along with 3 others on the splash page at all times

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

https://twitter.com/sghottawa/status/1487854425368633344

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Madkal posted:

Man watching the CBC interview some Tory arsehole at the rally and some guy fly a flag with a swastika in the background is a little too on brand for this whole thing.

This is MSM narrative propaganda! Why it could be a Hindu good luck charm

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
Satellite images of the protest. https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/see-satellite-imagery-of-the-freedom-rally-protest-in-ottawa-1.5760510

Big crowds. Huge. Half a million, no, 1.4 million, no 3 million people. Biggest ever demonstration on Parliament Hill. No, biggest ever in Canada! NO, biggest ever in the WORLD!

Also this

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

15 million people and 5 million trucks in Ottawa you say? Wow!

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

CanPol 2022 - VAX ME TRUDADDY

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

HackensackBackpack posted:

Satellite images of the protest. https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/see-satellite-imagery-of-the-freedom-rally-protest-in-ottawa-1.5760510

Big crowds. Huge. Half a million, no, 1.4 million, no 3 million people. Biggest ever demonstration on Parliament Hill. No, biggest ever in Canada! NO, biggest ever in the WORLD!

Also this

I've seen bigger crowds than that in Major's Hill park next door for 4/20

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Entropic posted:

I've seen bigger crowds than that in Major's Hill park next door for 4/20

Good buddys I've seen bigger crowds for FordFest

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice

Shumagorath posted:

:lol: at someone being so gross they're refused service at the Rideau McDonald's
lmao that is a serious dirt person achievement

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Is there no McDonald’s with drive thru or any other fast food?

How dumb can these people be to loving starve in a major city when they have money and vehicles??

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Vintersorg posted:

How dumb can these people be to loving starve in a major city when they have money and vehicles??

If they planned ahead, it would appear as though they had plenty of cargo space to bring their own drat food.
Did they expect to show up with fifteen million hungry people, and have food magically appear?

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009
Over/under on everybody getting bored Monday night and leaving?

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Vintersorg posted:

They won't wear masks, so they can't get into the places that sell the food

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

B33rChiller posted:

Did they expect to show up with fifteen million hungry people, and have food magically appear?

They expected to be greeted as liberators

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

flakeloaf posted:

They won't wear masks, so they can't get into the places that sell the food

Drive thrus are open tho

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Can't take a tractor trailer through a drive thru

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

Powershift posted:

Yeah well these guys are truck owners, or acting on behalf of them, so they're cool with all that poo poo.