Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/LozzaFox/status/1487882648878039047

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
can we just stop posting tweets from actual loving fash ITT

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Julio Cruz posted:

If they are tweets to be mocked or discussed, then no, we can't just stop posting tweets from actual fash ITT. You can just ignore the tweets or block me.

e: vvv lol

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Jan 30, 2022

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
done and done

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

ThomasPaine posted:

For all the problems with it iirc American Beauty was an undeniably good movie

Have you watched it recently? I thought it was a masterpiece back when I was a teenager, but seeing it a few years ago it was embarrassingly terrible. I mean you’re supposed to take the plastic bag bit seriously. Also it’s hilariously dated, being about how awful it is to have a well-paying job and nice house and family. And that’s before you get to Kevin Spacey and underage boobs.

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

Unkempt posted:

I think there was a study in India that showed people who'd had a course of Ivermectin did slighty better with Covid response, but it turned out that it was because they were the ones who didn't have gut worms because the Ivermectin had cured that. If you don't have the worms in the first place then the Ivermectin does nothing (of any use).

There were quite a lot of studies from the ‘third world’ that posted impressive results for invermectim as a.covid treatment. One current theory is that those that were not actually fraudulent were based off it actually working as intended; as a people dewormer. Covid alone is a lot easier for the body to deal with than covid + parasites.

Full appreciation of the irony of the situation is only reached when you realise that for these purposes, major parts of the USA count as 3rd world countries: So going to the vet to get some horse dewormer comes worryingly close to being an entirely rationally-justified move.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK62495/

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

ask me about leaving the cult of black metal and bringing jesus into your life

Job 19:17

Comrade Fakename posted:

Have you watched it recently? I thought it was a masterpiece back when I was a teenager, but seeing it a few years ago it was embarrassingly terrible. I mean you’re supposed to take the plastic bag bit seriously. Also it’s hilariously dated, being about how awful it is to have a well-paying job and nice house and family. And that’s before you get to Kevin Spacey and underage boobs.

I saw it in the cinema with my friends when it came out and even though we'd all been primed to think that it was a Very Important Movie and totally Art and everything, we all lost it at that fuckin bag. I nearly hyperventilated.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YFNJViFfHo
was better than the original

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/jan/30/canterbury-mp-rosie-duffield-considering-quitting-labour

quote:

Rosie Duffield expected to make decision on Labour future imminently
Canterbury MP has accused party’s whips of doing little to protect her from what she called ‘obsessive harassment’

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

She's going to cross the floor and become a Tory isn't she?

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

I suppose you could characterise "being presented with objective facts" as "harassment".

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I cannot believe how many gambling ads there are on TV.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

quote:

The MP for Canterbury is understood to be meeting senior party officials for discussions about her future after a party member accused her of moving 200 miles away from her constituency to be with her partner, a documentary-maker, in Wrexham.
She denies this later in the article but I 100% believe this is true.

Shes getting booted out in the next election regardless of who wins the GE.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

therattle posted:

It's fine though, they all come with a disclaimer telling people not to get addicted to the amazing games they offer.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Yeah, Duffield getting re-elected would need students to come out in force and campaign for someone they despise.
I assume her 'meeting' is to persuade the party to find her a safe seat to get parachuted into.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

It is loving wild out. Potential for 80mph winds across all of northern Scotland. The fences that didn't come down on Friday night are sure to be knocked down tonight.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
it's basically impossible to watch any sport in this country without being bombarded by 10 variations on "look how much fun these people are having, you'd enjoy this event even more if you had money on it, why don't you put a bet on, a little one can't hurt" and then they flash the Gamble Aware logo up for about half a second

it's loving insidious

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Julio Cruz posted:

This is a thread for discussing UK politics, if we stopped posting tweets from actual loving fash we'd never say anything.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Jedit posted:

This is a thread for discussing UK politics, if we stopped posting tweets from actual loving fash we'd never say anything.

not necessarily a bad thing

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

Julio Cruz posted:

it's basically impossible to watch any sport in this country without being bombarded by 10 variations on "look how much fun these people are having, you'd enjoy this event even more if you had money on it, why don't you put a bet on, a little one can't hurt" and then they flash the Gamble Aware logo up for about half a second

it's loving insidious

Yeah, wonder how it got that bad

MPs criticise UK gambling regulator for trying to reduce addiction

quote:

A group of MPs has produced a report criticising the gambling industry regulator for trying to reduce addiction and urging ministers to take it into special measures.

Oh.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

graun posted:

The MPs’ draft labels the commission “in urgent need of change” and says it is too harsh and risks “the destruction of one of the world’s best gambling industry’s [sic],” leading to growth in the black market.

It accuses the commission of “acting ultra vires [beyond its remit] in its strategy of seeking to significantly reduce the number of problem gamblers”.

The MPs accuse the regulator, which has adopted a tougher stance amid rising public concern about gambling addiction, of displaying a “bullying attitude that has caused mental harm” within the industry and calls on the government to take it into “special measures” while determining whether it can “continue as it is”.

sad kleptocracy chuckle

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

quote:

Tory MPs have been writing “sponsored content” online for the Betting and Gaming Council, a lobbying group campaigning for the gambling industry.

They include Jack Brereton, MP for Stoke-on-Trent South and a government aide who wrote an article published on the ConservativeHome website on Monday urging ministers to make sure the gambling review does “nothing to put the industry’s competitiveness at risk”.

It describes Bet365, a gambling company, in glowing terms and praises the “huge economic contribution that the betting giant makes to our constituencies” including “high-skilled, good quality jobs” and charity donations.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/nov/10/tory-mps-wrote-sponsored-content-praising-betting-and-gambling-firms

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

therattle posted:

crypto crypto crypto

i would say this would be one of those things that kids in the future will look back on and be lol how did anyone fall for that, but almost with a circular logic, crypto collapse would probably be due to a economic implosion of the whole economy

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

I forget which gambling ads it is but it goes on something like 'community feel' 'family atmosphere' and so on and shows a bunch of gamblers all sat in one big room chatting, painting, and so on. I mean, does this actually happen ANYWHERE?

My (very few) forays into a bookies in my wild youth (won £17 following a £1.09 bet (9p tax upfront) on Seapigeon at 17:1 antepost when I was about 18 - my first ever bet.), they're miserable places where people stand in silence with their little biros pouring over 'form' on the back of the Racing Post. And as for 'amusement arcades' all those noisy machines - soulless.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

NotJustANumber99 posted:

not necessarily a bad thing

Indeed not, when it's you posting, but there are plenty of things to be discussed here and we frequently learn about them first from tweets. The responses of elected politicians almost always come to us that way.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I forget which gambling ads it is but it goes on something like 'community feel' 'family atmosphere' and so on and shows a bunch of gamblers all sat in one big room chatting, painting, and so on. I mean, does this actually happen ANYWHERE?

How do you make fifty OAPs say "gently caress"?
Shout "HOUSE!"

Gambling is never convivial because it's a zero sum game. Whenever you win, you're inevitably winning the money from some other poor bastard who needed the win just as much as you. If it were otherwise then bookies couldn't stay in business.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I've never been in a bookies because i've never betted because a constant certainty of the inevitability of loss makes me the cheery soul I am and insulates me from the desire to gamble in equal measure, but I imagine that that is the point of bingo? lots of old grannies getting together and socializing while gambling and possibly a bit of ripping each other to shreds if my secondhand stories of it from my grandmother are to be believed.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Jedit posted:

Indeed not, when it's you posting

lol whats your problem pal?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

I wonder how much support Rosie Duffield gave to other PLP members facing considerable harassment; Corbyn and Abbott spring to mind. And I can bet your bottom dollar that Corbyn would have been one of the few to offer support though she probably cold-shouldered him off. (I have no evidence that ever happened, just a guess based on what people who know him - a former MP (Blairite!), and people who have worked with him have said.)

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Jan 30, 2022

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
I don't watch TV so I don't clock much gambling stuff, but Ian Hislop was recently talking to a committee about MPs lobbying and he mentioned the gambling lobby being quite big at the moment and I wondered what he meant and you've just contextualised that for me so that's neat.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

The closest I've ever seen to a 'community feel' in gambling terms is a big bingo hall. Everyone goes the same day(s) every week and they all know each other. But that doesn't stop it from being the most bleakly miserable community imaginable.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Jel Shaker posted:

crypto crypto crypto

i would say this would be one of those things that kids in the future will look back on and be lol how did anyone fall for that, but almost with a circular logic, crypto collapse would probably be due to a economic implosion of the whole economy

I don’t understand. Can you clarify please?

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

My (very few) forays into a bookies in my wild youth (won £17 following a £1.09 bet (9p tax upfront) on Seapigeon at 17:1 antepost when I was about 18 - my first ever bet.), they're miserable places where people stand in silence with their little biros pouring over 'form' on the back of the Racing Post. And as for 'amusement arcades' all those noisy machines - soulless.

My childhood with my Dad going 'down the town' was this small room covered with newspapers on the walls.
It was the local bookies, and they simply stuck up the papers so you could see the races and the odds.
The man who ran it must have robbed the wages of most of the town many a time for decades back then, then he turned into a strict pious religious guy.
Funny how you can do that when you are rich as poo poo.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Jedit posted:

Gambling is never convivial because it's a zero sum game. Whenever you win, you're inevitably winning the money from some other poor bastard who needed the win just as much as you. If it were otherwise then bookies couldn't stay in business.

Not strictly true, most gambling games are vs the house, not other players

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Which is funded by other people's losses, it is still zero sum, just with a layer of abstraction.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

ThomasPaine posted:

Where do you think the house gets its money from?

e: beaten

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

ThomasPaine posted:

And if a game risks losing the house any money at all they simply do not do it. And if someone is doing particularly well they simply stop letting them play.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

stev posted:

The closest I've ever seen to a 'community feel' in gambling terms is a big bingo hall. Everyone goes the same day(s) every week and they all know each other. But that doesn't stop it from being the most bleakly miserable community imaginable.

Went to one of these with friends, the £1 roast on offer wasn't even that bad. My friends did have a bust up and one of them trooped off to wetherspoons to get properly tanked up though. Overall rating success (have not been back since).

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Ivermection does also kill covid/prevent it entering cells in vitro

(at 100 times greater than the normal therapeutic dose in humans)

So does ethanol and you don't see people drinking it to prevent diseases.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

endlessmonotony posted:

So does ethanol and you don't see people drinking it to prevent diseases.

Other than lawrence fox, apparently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

therattle posted:

I don’t understand. Can you clarify please?

we’re in the everything bubble now, so all the ponzis are going to collapse all at once like in albania , but on a global scale