Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Centrist Committee posted:

but then it was all fixed and works flawlessly now, the end

good the other audit that found out the 1 trillion or so unaccountable for in the military books definitely made the military more fiscally responsible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

it's funny (to me, an idiot) that there's a chance the French nuke sub scene from The Leftovers actually happens

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Bar Ran Dun posted:

it was almost certainly the navy itself and not the shipyard.

the joke about American shipyards is:You have to wait longer than anywhere else in the world for them to start, when they start the work will be slower than anywhere else but on the bright side it will also be more expensive.

that said the navy is so bad that the shipyards do things like go to the big consultancies to model the affect late significant change orders to the design from the navy have on cost and scheduling. like how dumb the navy is about this stuff has been modeled with significant input from the navy and the conclusions accepted by the navy... and they still do it.

somewhere joseph heller is laughing his rear end off

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

gradenko_2000 posted:

This is sort of like when the German high command assigned an engineering unit from Bavaria to be in charge of building the transport barges for Operation Sealion

I assume they've had shipwrights in Bayern for a while, since Bavaria Yachtbau is still a thing.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Laterite posted:

imagine the amount of grift to produce a drone for anything costing a quarter billion dollars...the one that got shot down by Iran in 2019

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

THE BAR posted:

I assume they've had shipwrights in Bayern for a while, since Bavaria Yachtbau is still a thing.

Founded in 1978 and they seem to make the sort of yachts you can make in your backyard.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Weka posted:

Founded in 1978 and they seem to make the sort of yachts you can make in your backyard.

Ah, would've thought they had come from earlier entreprises. Maybe it was those Sea lion engineers putting their experience to good use 30 years later?

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf

vyelkin posted:

one time they did an audit of the nuclear missile silos and discovered that maintaining all the elaborate checks and balances to make it difficult to launch nukes was too much work so the guys staffing the place had just set all the password to 00000000 to make it easy to launch everything, also they were all on drugs and going insane

I wonder how much of them going insane had to do with the two man rule. You go through training and it's all esprit de corps rah rah die for your teammates, then you get stationed and told to assume your teammates are all commie spies at all times. The guy who punched a whole in the side of a missle in Command and Control said his solution was him and his maintenance partner just disregarded the two man rule at all times and went about their business in the interst of time, but I have to imagine there were people who took it more seriously and it hurt their brains.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

BitcoinRockefeller posted:

I wonder how much of them going insane had to do with the two man rule. You go through training and it's all esprit de corps rah rah die for your teammates, then you get stationed and told to assume your teammates are all commie spies at all times. The guy who punched a whole in the side of a missle in Command and Control said his solution was him and his maintenance partner just disregarded the two man rule at all times and went about their business in the interst of time, but I have to imagine there were people who took it more seriously and it hurt their brains.

the us missile people are also the biggest fail rejects in the Air Force. Remember how they all had to cheat to pass their multiple choice tests on how to do their job?

You don’t join the Air Force to sit in a cold bunker in Minot ND, so they get the idiots who can’t do anything else.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Laterite posted:

as part of this McKinsey modeled that work cycle of the shipyard and basically produced a model of what happens to a work force when you suddenly dump a whole bunch of work on a work force. basically everybody works hard for about two weeks. then people start to get tired and productivity falls. then everything gets more behind. then people get burned out. then a feed back loop starts up. people quit, new people aren’t as productive because they need training, things get more behind, everything goes to poo poo, in systemic way you can’t escape.

good times. I showed it to my last employer. they had sent me to a graduate program that did case studies on the model in one of my classes. hey this is why everybody is unhappy in the field and here’s how to fix it and make more money. it went about as well as you’d expect lmao.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

change management is my favorite evil corporate job

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

corporate behaviour begins making more sense when you realize that it’s not actually about the money, it’s about power and control, the money is simply a token

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
Hmmph could it be possible China is owning everyone in shipbuilding in cost effectiveness because they spent zillions in everything else that isn't troops, cops and insurance rackets

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

why is my nation failing, i say as my $3500 insulin bill goes to a person building a bitcoin mining bunker in new zealand

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

Real hurthling! posted:

rocket science is the thing people compare to the hardest thing you can do

surely all the rocket science was done in the 50s and the people who mind the buttons aren’t doing things like updating the math

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

wolfs posted:

surely all the rocket science was done in the 50s and the people who mind the buttons aren’t doing things like updating the math

they do make you do math in training, so rocket people all have great asvab scores but are also lazy and/or insane

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

controls theory is the rocket science math it’s diff eqs.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

modern physics < controls < modeling combustion in the cylinder IMO.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Bar Ran Dun posted:

as part of this McKinsey modeled that work cycle of the shipyard and basically produced a model of what happens to a work force when you suddenly dump a whole bunch of work on a work force. basically everybody works hard for about two weeks. then people start to get tired and productivity falls. then everything gets more behind. then people get burned out. then a feed back loop starts up. people quit, new people aren’t as productive because they need training, things get more behind, everything goes to poo poo, in systemic way you can’t escape.

good times. I showed it to my last employer. they had sent me to a graduate program that did case studies on the model in one of my classes. hey this is why everybody is unhappy in the field and here’s how to fix it and make more money. it went about as well as you’d expect lmao.

hi can you point me in the direction of more info on this

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Trabisnikof posted:

the us missile people are also the biggest fail rejects in the Air Force. Remember how they all had to cheat to pass their multiple choice tests on how to do their job?

You don’t join the Air Force to sit in a cold bunker in Minot ND, so they get the idiots who can’t do anything else.

yeah people join the air force to fly fighter jets, so you can imagine how far the gap between expectations and reality is for someone who joined thinking they would be zooming around like tom cruise in top gun and instead spend their entire tour of duty sitting in an underground bunker in wyoming under orders to be ready to end the world in five minutes if they ever get a certain phone call

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

that said a government job I dream about would be nuclear waste minder

driving an electric golf cart around under New Mexico

paid to make sure atoms decay

but no, we can’t even get yucca mountain as a waste repository going after 20 years of studies and fights about it

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

hi can you point me in the direction of more info on this

I’ve been looking for the drawing of the model. when I find it I’ll post it. unfortunately I’ve moved twice and changed computers three times in the last two years.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here
just fuckin make nuclear energy no one gives a poo poo about anything. we just want our stupid poo poo and we will die to preserve it (but not in a cool way)

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

vyelkin posted:

yeah people join the air force to fly fighter jets, so you can imagine how far the gap between expectations and reality is for someone who joined thinking they would be zooming around like tom cruise in top gun and instead spend their entire tour of duty sitting in an underground bunker in wyoming under orders to be ready to end the world in five minutes if they ever get a certain phone call

unless you gently caress up in training, or you're an officer, you know your job before signing your contract

if you're a USAF officer and don't get to be a pilot, shut the gently caress up your life will be wonderful no matter what happens

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer

i say swears online posted:

unless you gently caress up in training, or you're an officer, you know your job before signing your contract

if you're a USAF officer and don't get to be a pilot, shut the gently caress up your life will be wonderful no matter what happens

My brother joined the USAF to be a firefighter. He was told he would be. He signed a contract saying he would be. Turned out during the Bush era the gov't passed a law saying you can lie for recruiting - including on the contracts in writing.

He never once got an opportunity to even try out for firefighting, despite being generally near the top of things. Ultimately I think it worked out better, he got a position he basically never deploys in and pays great once he leaves. But they sure as poo poo can and do lie in the contracts.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

military firefighting (navy is the worst) is probably second to infantry as most dangerous job, he lucked out lol

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Bar Ran Dun posted:

it’s possible they only had anodes but I think that would be a dumb choice professionally. they were still designing them way back when I was at the Academy so I don’t know and am only guessing.

removing them and having nothing would be amazingly dumb though.

I’ve just looked it up.

ship is aluminum hulled. piping and pumps in the engine room were stainless. they meet at jets. they didn’t use zinc or impressed current. they added zincs later lol, what a poo poo show.

“The list of deleted items includes something called a "Cathodic Protection System," which is designed to prevent electrolysis.” they cut it to save money. that would have to have had to occurred over significant opposition.

I worked with the primary engineer that designed these fuckers. The only thing I'm probably allowed to say is - he was a loving idiot and the core idea is Legos.

Giant metal poo poo doesn't work like legos.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

can confirm vessel firefighting is utterly terrifying. on the commercial side vessel are set up to just nope out of an engine room fire by inerting with CO2. which is also terrifying . those CO2 siren are a sound you never ever want to hear.

some vessel fires you just can’t put out. like when coal carrying bulk carriers have a hold fire. they just discharge the burning coal to the pier.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

I worked with the primary engineer that designed these fuckers.

At least tell me he wasn’t a Kings Pointer .

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Bar Ran Dun posted:

I'm not sure I entirely know what you're talking about. This does not match what I've seen and if you're doing anything DoD then EVMS will be the guiding PM format, not McKinsey 7S; unless you're talking pure civilian MCS here.

poo poo generally starts to fall behind because of poor management reserve planning - ships ALWAYS will have unexpected additional work. And that's just repairs.

edit: whoops you to I

1st_Panzer_Div. has issued a correction as of 20:16 on Jan 31, 2022

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

wolfs posted:

but no, we can’t even get yucca mountain as a waste repository going after 20 years of studies and fights about it

you can live this dream today in the occasionally lovely evirons of Hanford Wa. a friend was an accountant there. you do need a giant security clearance though, I guess to make sure you don't steal any of those precious leaking waste drums?

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Bar Ran Dun posted:

“The list of deleted items includes something called a "Cathodic Protection System," which is designed to prevent electrolysis.” they cut it to save money. that would have to have had to occurred over significant opposition.

bobby jindal volcano monitoring air quotes dot mp4

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

wolfs posted:

:hmmyes:
*looks at a giger counter*
yup, still atoms
*watches youtube*

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

poo poo generally starts to fall behind because of poor management reserve planning - ships ALWAYS will have unexpected additional work. And that's just repairs.

"maintenance work" is synonymous to "an unnecessary item to cost cut to the moon" for management types

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

I'm not sure I entirely know what you're talking about. This does not match what I've seen and if you're doing anything DoD then EVMS will be the guiding PM format, not McKinsey 7S; unless you're talking pure civilian MCS here.

so this made me go when did I read this and what time period was it addressing and when are my own personal experiences and I may be out of date and maybe it’s actually changed. it was about late significant design changes that were occurring causing a cascading labor crunch at the shipyard.

I’m still going to see if I can dig it up. the conversion is at the point where my memory is not cutting it . I’m finding my self thinking well that was a decade ago I read it and two since I’ve been in a shipyard. getting old sucks.

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf

Palladium posted:

"maintenance work" is synonymous to "an unnecessary item to cost cut to the moon" for management types

The first factory job I had the maintenance manager had a sign over his office door that said "good maintenance is expensive, bad maintenance is extravagant." I still remember it almost 20 years later because every new place I go I end up thinking drat, we're some extravagant mother fuckers up in here.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

BitcoinRockefeller posted:

The first factory job I had the maintenance manager had a sign over his office door that said "good maintenance is expensive, bad maintenance is extravagant." I still remember it almost 20 years later because every new place I go I end up thinking drat, we're some extravagant mother fuckers up in here.

the rest of the phrase is ‘no maintenance is the next guy’s problem’

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Bar Ran Dun posted:

can confirm vessel firefighting is utterly terrifying. on the commercial side vessel are set up to just nope out of an engine room fire by inerting with CO2. which is also terrifying . those CO2 siren are a sound you never ever want to hear.

some vessel fires you just can’t put out. like when coal carrying bulk carriers have a hold fire. they just discharge the burning coal to the pier.

And for the Navy, we just recently learned that their firefighting efforts are so incompetent the vessel will definitely burn down.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
I would simply dunk the boat in the after until the fire went out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

I found a very small part of it, not McKinsey, Pugh-Robert’s.