Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

The Vinja Ninja
Mar 16, 2006

Sometimes, time beats you.

God Hole posted:

one time a few months back i was feeling hungry so i hopped on my bicycle to ride over a nearby sandwich shop (which has about 3 or 4 branches locally but isn't a big chain by any definition). i decided to do this, internally in my head, and said nothing out loud to indicate i was doing this because i was alone. i did not bring my phone with me and when i got there, i paid for my sandwich in cash.

when i got back home, i sat at the kitchen table and started eating. in the middle of my meal, i got a message from a friend on instagram so i picked up my phone to answer it. after i answered the message, i started absentmindedly scrolling my feed before being accosted by an advertisement for the tiny sandwich shop i was just at. my jaw dropped, i couldn't believe it. i started wracking my brain as to how the algorithm could possibly know i was just there before it finally hit me: i was holding my phone's front-facing camera over the sandwich wrapper which was plastered with tiny logos of the sandwich shop.

i double-checked my settings and no, instagram was not "allowed" to "access" my cameras lol

Just so you know, Apple and Google both agreed to keep the front facing camera on for location services permissions.

This allows you to be tracked by Philips LED bulbs in stores. Philips and both phone companies came up with this.

I’m sure facebook figured out how to use the location services front facing camera access to just film everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

The Vinja Ninja posted:

Just so you know, Apple and Google both agreed to keep the front facing camera on for location services permissions.

This allows you to be tracked by Philips LED bulbs in stores. Philips and both phone companies came up with this.

I’m sure facebook figured out how to use the location services front facing camera access to just film everything.

are you suggesting that apple and google both turn on the front facing camera while lying to the user and say that the app is requesting location services but is actually allowing it to turn on the front facing camera invisibly

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

The Vinja Ninja posted:

Do you have a source for this?

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
I would be very surprised if there’s video surveillance taken without consent on phones, I feel that would be crossing quite the line.

Simply sending your gps location entering and exiting the sandwich shop with google maps should be enough and is probably more what happened.

edit/ it’s all “anonymous” so don’t worry! (what is cross referencing?)

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

at one of the local parks i frequent, there's a small pond at the top where you can see newts and other cool animals

it was completely dry when i visited a few days ago and im hoping those little dudes have suspended animation or something to wait for the rain

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
every camera connected to the internet is spying on you at all times

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Rutibex posted:

everything connected to the internet is spying on you at all times

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
My phone camera makes a bunch of focusing and clicking noises whenever I boot the phone I'm sure its not in use though just a coincidence

Rip Testes
Jan 29, 2004

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception.

Rime posted:

I spend a frankly inordinate amount of time on these same thoughts, OP.

Could have been born in Merv, just in time for the mongols to slaughter the entire city and raze it.

Could have lived a million lives of casual tribal subsistence in South America or the Pacific, generations never "knowing" more than was necessary to survive.

Could have seen the peak of Byzantium or its utter fall, or whatever unimaginable world exists a century or a millennium from now.

Instead, I'm here, in the dying light of capitalism, reading Zen Buddhism and watching things unfold.

Pity the fool who cannot, or will not, comprehend their place in history, IMO. :cheers:

What I think about is how we are robbing others of their place in history.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Mark Zuckerberg dmed me and told me to stop because i kept using my front camera to look at my butthole

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Rectal Death Adept posted:

Mark Zuckerberg dmed me and told me to stop because i kept using my front camera to look at my butthole

user post combo

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Popoto posted:

I would be very surprised if there’s video surveillance taken without consent on phones, I feel that would be crossing quite the line.

lmao

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
i've managed to stop reading this thread long enough for 5000 unread posts to accumulate. i'd like to say it was good for my mental health, but i'm honestly not sure; i keep wondering just what fresh hell i've been missing on

so, uh, has any new, novel and horrifying ways we're utterly hosed popped up over the last month or two? just give me the summary

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

On Facebook

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

i've managed to stop reading this thread long enough for 5000 unread posts to accumulate. i'd like to say it was good for my mental health, but i'm honestly not sure; i keep wondering just what fresh hell i've been missing on

so, uh, has any new, novel and horrifying ways we're utterly hosed popped up over the last month or two? just give me the summary

Rime doesn't like Alf

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.

honestly just throw a stone

thwaites is hosed
arctic is warming 4x as fast as everywhere else instead of 2x as previously thought
97% of yellowfin tuna are gone
biden's chopping down all the trees

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

nah things are fine so far, next year though, boy howdy

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

T-Paine posted:

thwaites is hosed
arctic is warming 4x as fast as everywhere else instead of 2x as previously thought

bluefin*

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
god hole didn't take their phone to the store, that was the whole point of the story. so it's not lightbulbs or gps or whatever.

anyway between the app developers, the hardware manufacturers, and the intelligence agencies with chip-level backdoors, anything connected to the internet is absolutely spying on you all the time. the "good" news is that 99.99% of it is just being done to sell you poo poo more effectively.

there's zero regulation on this, and it's not just some nebulous "they" doing it - detailed worldwide gps data can be bought on the commercial market from a dozen different vendors. i've worked with this data at an unremarkable mid-level consultancy. it's "anonymized" in that the deviceid is hashed, and the terms & conditions ask you pretty please not to de-anonymize it, but it's trivial to do once you have it.

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.

Oops, you're right. So I googled Yellowfin...

quote:

Under a business-as-usual scenario, the biomass of female yellowfin tuna able to reproduce will fall by 91% between 2016 and 2026, Planet Tracker revealed. This would lead to a 'significant' decline in spawning biomass and an 80% reduction in catch by 2026.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Don't worry, we've still got redfin, orangefin, greenfin, and violetfin tuna.

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Chamale posted:

One thing I've learned is that the shittiest animals typically thrive in climate change scenarios. If there is an unspeakably ugly brownfin tuna that pisses in the eyeballs of any nearby sealife and causes humans to have seizures if they get near it, it's the one that will do well.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Mola Yam posted:

god hole didn't take their phone to the store, that was the whole point of the story. so it's not lightbulbs or gps or whatever.

anyway between the app developers, the hardware manufacturers, and the intelligence agencies with chip-level backdoors, anything connected to the internet is absolutely spying on you all the time. the "good" news is that 99.99% of it is just being done to sell you poo poo more effectively.

there's zero regulation on this, and it's not just some nebulous "they" doing it - detailed worldwide gps data can be bought on the commercial market from a dozen different vendors. i've worked with this data at an unremarkable mid-level consultancy. it's "anonymized" in that the deviceid is hashed, and the terms & conditions ask you pretty please not to de-anonymize it, but it's trivial to do once you have it.

yeah, i get this for sure, i just think this secret camera buried in location settings is hilariously paranoid

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

T-Paine posted:

One thing I've learned is that the shittiest animals typically thrive in climate change scenarios. If there is an unspeakably ugly brownfin tuna that pisses in the eyeballs of any nearby sealife and causes humans to have seizures if they get near it, it's the one that will do well.

great can we breed them in bulk and drop them on people

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Basic Poster posted:

Rime doesn't like Alf

cool.

T-Paine posted:

thwaites is hosed

cool.

although i guess nothing in that list is particularly novel, just things accelerating. i expected, i dunno, microplastic being carried into the upper atmosphere and turning into extreme carcinogens through radiolysis and capturing ozone molecules, or maybe finding out that the yellowstone super volcano is actually where lavos is slumbering and beginning to stir

so, not that bad, yet

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

AOCIA
Nov 29, 2021

by sebmojo

Chamale posted:

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

you can lmao all you want, but they really don’t need video to know every single thing you’re doing. *gesticulates at everything else*

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

you missed everyone asking to be probed

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

T-Paine posted:

and that's why i'm not worried about humanity

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
in the end it's just going to be a bunch of inedible, unfuckable, ugly, completely useless creatures wandering the earth

the age of the goon is at hand

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Mola Yam posted:

in the end it's just going to be a bunch of inedible, unfuckable, ugly, completely useless creatures wandering the earth

the age of the goon is at hand

it's time

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Infraredfin tuna

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

by Pragmatica

(and can't post for 9 days!)

Cloks posted:

can't get libs to care about disappearing moose, they only care about disappearing maus

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

all the moose are dying because of tens of thousands of ticks on their bodies and deer going into warming-areas bringing deadly brain worms. they will probably not be around much longer

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

cool.

cool.

although i guess nothing in that list is particularly novel, just things accelerating. i expected, i dunno, microplastic being carried into the upper atmosphere and turning into extreme carcinogens through radiolysis and capturing ozone molecules, or maybe finding out that the yellowstone super volcano is actually where lavos is slumbering and beginning to stir

so, not that bad, yet

the beauty of biosphere collapse is that there's something new happening every day:

https://twitter.com/AFrontlines/status/1487260494461349889

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Mayor Dave posted:

the beauty of biosphere collapse is that there's something new happening every day:

https://twitter.com/AFrontlines/status/1487260494461349889

lol donziger is still under house arrest lmao

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
people are given free oil like it is Willy Wonka's chocolate factory and they still aren't happy?

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
https://twitter.com/SDonziger/status/1487555683390218240

cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
https://twitter.com/AFrontlines/status/1487553682212282371

the solution to pollution is dilution, so this is good actually