Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

ArcticZombie posted:

Does anyone have any winter gloves that work particularly well? My current gloves, admittedly just 3-season gloves, do not hold up well below 0°C. I have heated grips so my palms feel okay, but my fingers hurt. I'm not prepared to run hippo hands.

Even electric gloves don't do great below zero, wind chill is a killer if you're doing any real speed.

The only alternative to hippo hands is some other kind of wind break, ie a big old fairing that covers the handlebars or the tallest/widest set of dirtbike handguards you can find.

e/ if your issue with hippos is they're too all-encompassing, barkbusters do a a winter handguard that splits the difference: search BBZ-001, it's fully open in the back instead of cupping your wrist, it just runs larger than usual in the front to block more air.

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Jan 21, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005
When the enemy is in range, so are you
Ditto on wind-blocking as a strategy.

I managed to do an hour round-trip when it was 15 F (-10 C ?) out with no heated gear. For my hands I used a thin pair of knit gloves, nitrile gloves on top, and then winter gloves on top of that. I also had a cheap pair of bar mitts on the handlebars.

Admittedly, it didn't feel great -- took about 30 minutes for my fingers to start going numb -- but I was able to retain dexterity throughout.

I wish there were gloves that just heat your finger tips. That's all I really want.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

ArcticZombie posted:

Does anyone have any winter gloves that work particularly well? My current gloves, admittedly just 3-season gloves, do not hold up well below 0°C. I have heated grips so my palms feel okay, but my fingers hurt. I'm not prepared to run hippo hands.

echoing what others have said; you need something to block the wind. I have cycra pro bends since I ride off road (and like to look like I ride off road) and they block the wind enough for heated gloves / liners + WP gloves + heated grips work great even around 18° F

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
Bar muffs really really help. I run my goretex non insulated shorty gloves even mid winter with my heated grips.

The fluff in the muffs are not really needed, 1st design try. Picture from when I ran out of gas 1/2 a mile from the gas station..

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The tusk bar mitts are $15 so if you don’t want to invest real money yet, that’s a good choice

I’ll echo what everyone else has said, which is no glove is good enough when you have cold wind hitting your hands. Mitts look dorky as hell but they work amazingly and the bubble of calm air they put between themselves and your hand is like magic

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

ArcticZombie posted:

If it's below freezing just wear the muffs. Anybody judging you for it is definitely *not* riding a bike in those temps for gently caress them and their opinions.

FWIW my Dainese winter gloves, with the addition of silk liners, *do* work tolerably below zero as long as you're not doing motorway speeds, but at that point you're talking enough bulk for it to be edging towards effecting your control.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I used to have a pair of these for winter. They worked quite well for UK winters. I didn't ride below freezing, but they were great for just above that and rain. Not cheap though.
Before that I just wore gore-tex snowboarding gloves which worked great, though I expect they would get mangled in a faster crash. I expect they'd hold up at low speed though, given the abuse they take during snowboarding.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Heated gloves + heated grips. It's the only way.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

"HAHA look at that dork and his handmuffs!" I say in January as I tootle around in a Prius.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

We have had the driest winter I can recall in a long time in Wisconsin, and if it wasn’t for the fact that we’re so salt happy, it would be mighty tempting to still be out on the goldwing.

I haven’t even had the snowblower out once, I’ve shoveled once, and I’ve been burning down my winter tires on dry pavement for drat near two months now :argh:

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

We have had the driest winter I can recall in a long time in Wisconsin, and if it wasn’t for the fact that we’re so salt happy, it would be mighty tempting to still be out on the goldwing.

I haven’t even had the snowblower out once, I’ve shoveled once, and I’ve been burning down my winter tires on dry pavement for drat near two months now :argh:

You son of a bitch do you know what you've done? It's going to be snowing til May now

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Heated grips and heated gloves cover 80% of your hand. But nothing beats wind resistance, and then you can easily get away with just one

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
When my tax return shows up, I'm planning on using some of it to get an actually nice and well-fitting 3 season jacket. I currently have a Sedici that's ... fine. It got me through 2 years of riding, but I want something that's less miserable in the summer. In a baffling design choice, the forearms are black and heat radiates through onto my forearms if the sun is out to the point that even if I'm not hot, my arms start sweating like it's 110 degrees outside.

I'm really tempted by the waxed canvas jackets out there, but the premium ones are $$$$ and I'm worried that it won't breathe at all. I have a pretty light Reax jacket I like for most of summer, but I'm in Oregon, so it never gets terribly cold here and if I'm on a road trip, the temperature can swing 20 or 30 degrees. The waxed canvas also tends to not have as many reflective bits, so they look sharp but I'm a bit worried about visibility.

Rev'it seems to have the most jackets in the price range I'm thinking of ($300-600 or so) and that I don't hate the looks of. I'm sure all of these are going to work great, but I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with waxed vs. textile to give some firsthand insights.

If price, availability, and sizing were no issue, I'd get a Belstaff McGee or Rev'it Poseiden 2. More likely to go with Merlin or a more mid-tier Rev'it or Oxford.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

There's a bunch of revit stuff on closeout here Geekboy: https://www.motorcyclegear.com/street/closeouts/all_types/revit?page=1

I'm having the opposite issue with my revit convex leather jacket and ignition [half] leather pants. I was wearing a long sleeve thermal under it, have the wind vest zipped into the jacket, yoga tights under the pants and I was almost shivering after 2 hours of riding in town under 60mph in 50 ish degree weather. I know I'm a desert lizard, but still. Time to get some merino long sleeve shirts I've been putting off buying I guess.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
There are different definitions of "three season", and that depends mostly on your local climate. Get a jacket that will be comfortable in the dead of winter and also get a jacket for the worst of your summer. Then you can just wear them interchangeably year round.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
I’m in the PNW, so I spend most of the year smack dab between those extremes. It’s usually 50-60 and raining, with occasional cold snaps and then Summer.

The rain makes it feel colder than it is, so good rain protection is foremost on my mind.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Waxed canvas must have terrible abrasion resistance. I think the Rev'it Trench jacket has that look while being both abrasion-resistant (400D nylon, not top-tier but surely better than canvas) as well as being Gore-Tex laminated. I'm sure with its fitment you could easily layer in warmth, and it has vents on the chest for warmer days.

I've never heard of Belstaff, but their stuff looks like overpriced garbage for people who may someday buy a motorcycle.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
Belstaff has been around since the 20s, they made some of the very first clothing / protective gear targeted at motorcyclists. Pricey yes, garbage, absolutely not.

Waxed cotton isn't marketed as abrasion resistant, but their moto stuff does have CE rated armor in it, and some models have leather in contact areas. It is absolutely waterproof, and the stuff lasts forever and never changes style so it's a buy-it-for-life kind of thing. They also have other lines that are made out of Cordura or other abrasion-resistant fabrics.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

I looked at their website again, and I realize now their jackets are in fact just jackets and their motorcycle jackets are listed separately, so I withdraw my garbage comment, although the value proposition seems pretty poor.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Belstaff are a *very* up-market brand who primarily make stuff for very posh people, and so started making motorbike gear in the 20s when the poshos started getting into bikes (they also started making flying gear around the same time, the classic sheepskin-lined flying jacket and gloves of the Spitfire pilot were made by them).

I did actually have a Belstaff jacket bought in a house clearance in the 90s and it's probably still the best-built jacket I've ever worn, it felt like it might actually be able to stop a bullet, but it had no provision for armour so I ended up selling it on (at a decent profit). TBH I wouldn't actually trust them for modern protective kit, especially as I don't think any of their current line is actually sold as CE-certified PPE.

e: Huh, the waxed cotton jacket OP linked is in fact CE-certified. I assume it's got nylon and/or cordura woven into it to get the required abrasion resistance

goddamnedtwisto fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jan 28, 2022

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

I've currently got two broken-ish pieces of gear:

1) Dainese Carve Master 2 pants ($450), at the end of my last ride the main waist closure button just popped off. It's a two-piece metal button that clamps the fabric between the halves of the stem, and the mating surface is woefully under-sized for the task; there's now a hole in the fabric where it was attached so this isn't something that can just be sewed back on. These pants are less than a year old, I only have maybe 400 miles on them and they aren't snug on me so not like this is a case of :btroll:. Submitted a customer service request through their website two weeks ago when this happened, got a confirmation email but no human response. Emailed them directly a week later, still nothing. Called the US HQ today and every phone menu option either goes to a full voicemail box or just disconnects. I was going to call the local store but they're only open 3 days a week now (Tues-Thurs wtf). I'm making due with my summer pants + thermals but that only works on dry days.

2) Bell Qualifier DLX ($280), noticed last night one side of the chin vent wasn't closing with the slider (which might help explain my colder-than usual face last ride). Not a huge deal, but again, it's less than a year old and I'm very careful with my gear. Submitted a request on their website last night, woke up to an email from Chad asking for the model info, receipt and a photo of the issue. Sent it, he replied an hour later saying they're shipping me an entire new helmet and I can keep this one (at least for now?)

I don't really have a point with this, just wanted to share the contrast between how well these companies are (currently) providing post-sale support.

moxieman
Jul 30, 2013

I'd rather die than go to heaven.
I ordered something from Dainese directly once, and asked for a refund when it hadn’t arrived after 4+ weeks. They eventually refunded my money (are you really sure you don’t want to just wait longer???), then reached out to me a couple weeks after that and asked if I would go pick the item up at my local Post Office and ship it back to them…

I like their gear but yeah, customer service is pretty awful.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

moxieman posted:

I ordered something from Dainese directly once, and asked for a refund when it hadn’t arrived after 4+ weeks. They eventually refunded my money (are you really sure you don’t want to just wait longer???), then reached out to me a couple weeks after that and asked if I would go pick the item up at my local Post Office and ship it back to them…

I like their gear but yeah, customer service is pretty awful.

:italy:

e: I've massively procrastinated on sending my D-Air jacket in to get fixed because it looks to be such a pain in the rear end. I called up Dainese CH head office and they say to send it in the normal post and they'll sort it out. Pretty sure the website specifically said not to do that and I don't want to get deported so need to find a way to double check.

knox_harrington fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Jan 29, 2022

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

The thing that flabbergasts me about Dianese is they charge almost $400 for a textile jacket:

https://www.dainese.com/us/en/motor...jackets#start=1

And the loving thing isn't even EN certified. You can see the description carefully states that the shoulder and elbow armor is certified only.

I mean... it's probably as protective as the next cordura jacket, or maybe the seams bust open.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

bizwank posted:

I've currently got two broken-ish pieces of gear:

1) Dainese Carve Master 2 pants ($450), at the end of my last ride the main waist closure button just popped off. It's a two-piece metal button that clamps the fabric between the halves of the stem, and the mating surface is woefully under-sized for the task; there's now a hole in the fabric where it was attached so this isn't something that can just be sewed back on. These pants are less than a year old, I only have maybe 400 miles on them and they aren't snug on me so not like this is a case of :btroll:. Submitted a customer service request through their website two weeks ago when this happened, got a confirmation email but no human response. Emailed them directly a week later, still nothing. Called the US HQ today and every phone menu option either goes to a full voicemail box or just disconnects. I was going to call the local store but they're only open 3 days a week now (Tues-Thurs wtf). I'm making due with my summer pants + thermals but that only works on dry days.

2) Bell Qualifier DLX ($280), noticed last night one side of the chin vent wasn't closing with the slider (which might help explain my colder-than usual face last ride). Not a huge deal, but again, it's less than a year old and I'm very careful with my gear. Submitted a request on their website last night, woke up to an email from Chad asking for the model info, receipt and a photo of the issue. Sent it, he replied an hour later saying they're shipping me an entire new helmet and I can keep this one (at least for now?)

I don't really have a point with this, just wanted to share the contrast between how well these companies are (currently) providing post-sale support.

You can probably take the pants to a dry cleaner/alterations place and get them to rivet a heavy duty snap in its place.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

Finger Prince posted:

You can probably take the pants to a dry cleaner/alterations place and get them to rivet a heavy duty snap in its place.
Yeah, I could, but I shouldn't have to for how much these cost and how little I've worn them. I believe in holding manufacturers responsible for their product defects, to a point.

I did finally hear back from them, now I'm waiting on authorization to send them in for repair or whatever they're going to do.

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires
Belstaff and Barbour are for people who want to present a specific image and want you to know that they probably own a British motorcycle and might even occasionally think about riding it

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
I was watching a helmet review (can't remember the model annoyingly) and the reviewer mentioned that with the internal sun visor up the head vents essentially did nothing, and only worked properly with the visor down. Is that true of all visored helmets, or was that just a poo poo design?

E: might have been the Spartan GT but will have to check.

Lungboy fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Feb 1, 2022

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Lungboy posted:

I was watching a helmet review (can't remember the model annoyingly) and the reviewer mentioned that with the internal sun visor up the head vents essentially did nothing, and only worked properly with the visor down. Is that true of all visored helmets, or was that just a poo poo design?

nah even my cheapo scorpion had head vents that worked with the screen up

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Lungboy posted:

Yeah the GT-Air's head vents are efficient enough to give me a headache if I leave it open when it's cold - they're well up and away from the track the visor takes though.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Thanks both. It was the Icon Airflite I was thinking of, good to hear other helmets don't suffer from the same issue.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Icon is (mostly) garbage poseur gear.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Horse Clocks posted:

Icon is (mostly) garbage poseur gear.

I'd not heard of Icon and liked some of the graphics but the reviews don't sound great.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Icon gear is mostly fine quality-wise (for the price), but terminally embarrassing styling-wise. I have a pair of knee pads I wear under my riding jeans that I'm pretty happy with.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

FBS posted:

Icon gear is mostly fine quality-wise, but terminally embarrassing styling-wise.

Hard disagree, their quality has largely been mediocre at best and only looks OK next to house brand stuff like Bilt. Their boots and gloves have always been poo poo, helmets a solid "meh" but at least they've had some fun graphics. The only consensus "good" piece of Icon gear I'm aware of is the Raiden jacket. The field armor used to be worse than not wearing anything, but at least in the past few years they've upgraded to using D30 and getting their stuff CE rated

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

FBS posted:

Icon gear is mostly fine quality-wise (for the price), but terminally embarrassing styling-wise.

Its not.

Their helmets don't last for poo poo.

In the 4yr/50k-mi i put on a variant:

the basegasket had to be reattached numerous times
hinge supports replaced twice a year. They'll crumble. without detents the visor willy-nilly does whatever the gently caress it wants when you're on a highway.
Visors with this special antifog coating that would last about as long as the hinge supports. also not cheap. Polish it off. use "Cat-crap"
The visor screws would vibrate the gently caress out if I didn't check em weekly. Once causing a visor and the peak to nearly fly off while on a highway.
The peak and visor are sort of integrated at the pivot screws with two extremely cheap as poo poo clips up top. High winds will push the peak off said clips. 3M VHB cures it.
Heaviest in its class at almost 4 pounds, not to mention poor ventilation while still being as loud as a mx helmet.
And my personal favorite. one of the visor retainer screws galled in its threads. Resulting in having to take power tools to a helmet to drill it out and retap it.

If you don't ride much, care about your noggin, or need gear that stands out to pick up guys at the local gas station, you're set.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
Icon gloves I tried were terrible, only looked good

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

cursedshitbox posted:

Its not.

Their helmets don't last for poo poo.

In the 4yr/50k-mi i put on a variant:

the basegasket had to be reattached numerous times
hinge supports replaced twice a year. They'll crumble. without detents the visor willy-nilly does whatever the gently caress it wants when you're on a highway.
Visors with this special antifog coating that would last about as long as the hinge supports. also not cheap. Polish it off. use "Cat-crap"
The visor screws would vibrate the gently caress out if I didn't check em weekly. Once causing a visor and the peak to nearly fly off while on a highway.
The peak and visor are sort of integrated at the pivot screws with two extremely cheap as poo poo clips up top. High winds will push the peak off said clips. 3M VHB cures it.
Heaviest in its class at almost 4 pounds, not to mention poor ventilation while still being as loud as a mx helmet.
And my personal favorite. one of the visor retainer screws galled in its threads. Resulting in having to take power tools to a helmet to drill it out and retap it.

If you don't ride much, care about your noggin, or need gear that stands out to pick up guys at the local gas station, you're set.

I hope you bought a new helmet long before then?

I've been considering replacing my HJC i10 because of vents whistling sometimes and mild discomfort after 2 hours of wear and I haven't event owned it a year.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Russian Bear posted:

I hope you bought a new helmet long before then?

I did. its why its 4yr/50k and not 7/60.
Using a Krios pro now and a bell mx9.
Which ofc dammit the krios pro has loud colors now. They only had carbon black a few years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
I've had helmets from hjc, schubert, agv, O'neill, fxr and brp. Quality has always been reflected by the price point.
I would reccomend that if you know your size (or have the opportunity to test it) grab either a top model in a winter sale or a discounted top model with last years colour way.
The fit and finish will be soo much better than cheap/mid range stuff.