Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

On the horse thing my understanding is the opposition to horse arose a few times in Europe, mostly as an objection to pagan excess cause it got linked to that somehow. So whenever the Catholics cycled into a crackdown on overt decadence it became taboo. And of course when protestantism came about it became part of the puritan poo poo. Hence it being standard in the US.

Australia also inherited it cause it was in vogue in England when we were colonised.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Forceholy posted:

To be fair, the book ends with the buildings not blowing up because he hosed up the explosive mixture and he does end up in an insane asylum; most of the orderlies, however, are part of project mayhem and are waiting for Tyler to come back.

There are two comic book sequels to Fight Club, but why would you do that to yourself?

The movie, which is massively superior, is canon though

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
The way to win the Winter Olympics is by quarantining all the non china athletes!

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/art/artists/ai-weiwei-obvious-covid-not-natural-disease-something-leaked/

5000 years of inscrutable chinese stereotypes culture

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Austen Tassletine posted:

I seem to recall a few years ago some minor celebrity decided to do a little publicity stunt by serving horse meat outside the grand national, or Ascot, or one of those. I think the police moved her on very quickly, which I remember thinking at the time was a bit harsh and an abuse of police power. Especially as horse meat is lovely.

In the UK, a while back horse meat end up in the supply chain of a number of ready meal manufacturers - there was something of a fracas and places were tested for horse meat.

One person, maybe a member of the House of Lords or otherwise part of our weird Gentry that give commands in our country, said that folks ought to eat more horse in order to impress a higher value in horses in the public as there had been a growing problem of horses being abandoned by previous owners unwilling or unable to keep with the costs of owning a horse.

One theory I read was that an European country, or two, had passed laws against horse ownership or something, or otherwise passed laws so that Roma didn't find it viable to keep the horses they used, so a bunch of local Roma and other travellers had to sell off their horses. Eventually the cheap horse meat ended up in microwave meals in the UK.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Man my respect for Ai Weiwei has just plummeted these last few years. Really shown himself to be a dumbass

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

I am not an Ai Weiwei, so I cannot comment.

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...
In Olympics news China apparently just nationalized the entire Kunlun Red Star hockey team of the KHL to represent China in ice hockey:
https://twitter.com/KRSchina/status/1486734379372089345?s=20&t=OLDKUjnUEXYWp01RofW7jQ
Kunlun is dead last in the KHL

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
I was gonna say that roster doesn't look as foreign as I was expecting, but there's some name trickery going on there where they're listing canadian dudes by their chinese name

Stink Billyums fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Jan 30, 2022

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
woops

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
https://twitter.com/ehundman/status/1487166131811012612?s=21

This Mao guy seems like a real jerk

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Champion of the working class and personal icon of C-SPAM and R Guyovich, everyone.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

One of Mao's most unsung accomplishments was making Kissinger seem like a good and reasonable man.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Mao was a good troll. Shame about the deaths.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Happy Year of the Water Tiger China Thread people!

May it's roar bring only joy, happiness and fun times for all.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

Devils Affricate posted:

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs

What if my primary ability is shitposting?

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Atopian posted:

What if my primary ability is shitposting?

then speak friend and enter

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Achmed Jones posted:

then speak friend and enter

*farts*

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
gong hei fat choi

may you all have prosperous and lovely posts

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pillbug

Booty Pageant posted:

gong hei fat choi

may you all have prosperous and lovely posts

Speaking of posting lovely things, in celebration of CNY everyone post your poon choi

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

it's a lunar new year miracle! noted piece of poo poo, Shintaro Ishihara, has died

https://www.reuters.com/world/asia-pacific/shintaro-ishihara-japanese-politician-who-set-off-row-with-china-dies-89-nhk-2022-02-01/

rest in piss

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

Pillbug

Smeef posted:

Speaking of posting lovely things, in celebration of CNY everyone post your poon choi

Image didn't attach -- here's the Boschian nightmare I chowed down on last night. I actually like a lot of the delicacies that most people find awful, but something about cramming it all in one pot and makes it less appetizing.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

I hope everyone got their sweet tiger hong baos!

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine
tried to put down some century egg out of politeness last night, actually it was alright smothered in chilis though

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Nenonen posted:

In the Chinese version of Planet of the Apes, Charlton Heston still finds the ruins of the Statue of Liberty. Then a caption explains that PRC navy noticed the lone man while patrolling the coast of the Destroyed Continent, and took him to safety.

If it isn't real it should be.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Strategic Tea posted:

I love you, Doctor Xius

Please mods, make this the thread title.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Smeef posted:

Image didn't attach -- here's the Boschian nightmare I chowed down on last night. I actually like a lot of the delicacies that most people find awful, but something about cramming it all in one pot and makes it less appetizing.

It looks exactly like an open manhole on a street in a chinese restaurant district. I had a very slight gag reflex looking at the picture.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Blistex posted:

It looks exactly like an open manhole on a street in a chinese restaurant district. I had a very slight gag reflex looking at the picture.
Just lol if you're not down for some sewer soup :discourse:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Who says good things never happen

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

quote:

One of his more notorious remarks came after the March 11, 2011 earthquake and tsunami that killed nearly 20,000 people, when he said the disaster was "divine punishment" for Japanese "egoism".

I mean if that was divine punishment for Japanese egoism the gods must have been sleeping because it came like 80 years too late

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

crosspost

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Is there even a pattern here? It just seems random.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Devils Affricate posted:

Is there even a pattern here? It just seems random.

I took me a minute

they vaguely look like the Latin letters

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

eSports Chaebol posted:

I took me a minute

they vaguely look like the Latin letters

Oh my god

Rabelais D
Dec 11, 2012

ts'u nnu k'u k'o t'khye:
A demon doth defecate at thy door
It's not wrong though. It's technically an alphabet in Chinese, using Chinese graphs as symbols for phonemes.

mkvltra
Nov 1, 2020

Lmao

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Rabelais D posted:

It's not wrong though. It's technically an alphabet in Chinese, using Chinese graphs as symbols for phonemes.

下臼匹水 了口臼

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Mr. Fix It posted:

下臼匹水 了口臼

Woah, I can read Chinese!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?

almost as good as wade-giles