Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

In the absence of meat, bite the hand that literally feeds.

AITA for 'starving' and 'poisoning' my friend's kids?

quote:

I (24F) have been a vegetarian for 10 years and I find that Indian food has some of the best vegetarian dishes, so that is what my diet mostly consists of, although I do love cooking vegetarian food from different cuisines as well.

So, for the past month or so, after my friend (36F) started a new job, I have been looking after her kids (6M, 7M and 9M) from 11:30-4, M-F, as she works from 12-8 PM and her husband (42M) from 7AM - 3:30 PM, and they can't afford childcare. I don't take any money from them for this as I know they both work minimum wage jobs and do struggle, so I'm happy to help out where I can.

During the time that the kids are with me, they have lunch and a snack. Since I'm cooking for everyone, it's usually Indian and vegetarian. Although I do tone down the spices for lunch since they are kids. And for a snack I give them fruits/chips/sandwiches with juice/milk. The kids love the food and always leave a clean plate, and the older one usually goes in for seconds as well. I have had no issues so far.

Well, yesterday, my friend came over to my house and started berating me for 'starving' her children and 'poisioning' them by not feeding them normal food with meat in it. She demanded that I start cooking them proper food with meat, only using salt, pepper and garlic, or she would call CPS on me for child abuse and neglect.

Apparently her kids now don't want to eat the food she and her husband cook and say that it's bland, and keep asking for my food, and that it's all my fault.

I refused and told my friend that I will no longer be able to watch her children and now she's even angrier with me, and both her and her husband are calling me an rear end in a top hat and saying that they don't have any other childcare options.

It's not a question of being able to afford the meat, as I work from home as a software developer and have a lot of free time throughout the day as well, but the food I cook has plenty of protein, carbs and fats and all other macros and the children have never asked for meat either.

AITA and should I just buy meat and let the kids make like, ham and cheese sandwiches for lunch? I feel guilty that they will struggle to pay for childcare if I don't take care of the kids.

ETA: Adding this since I'm being asked this question a lot. The kids are not in regular school during that time. Their parents took them out due a few months ago due to covid cases still being high, and it being impossible to have kids social distancing. They are being homeschooled is what I've been told.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Lol yes. Call cps to advise then you left your children with somebody you believe is abusing the. Solid plan.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

Cythereal posted:

Sexual harassment at work

hahahhhahahhahahahhahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahaha fart hahahahahahahaha

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Mx. posted:

Lol yes. Call cps to advise then you left your children with somebody you believe is abusing the. Solid plan.

Also honestly sounds like it's got a decent chance of alerting CPS that your children are probably not being homeschooled but rather being "homeschooled."

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

Cythereal posted:

Definitely report this to HR, so they can be made aware of how insane you are, bucko

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
There's something just especially dehumanizing about calling pretty women "decorative." Like that's their only purpose.

Jam With Seeds
Dec 20, 2008

reignonyourparade posted:

Also honestly sounds like it's got a decent chance of alerting CPS that your children are probably not being homeschooled but rather being "homeschooled."

No, no, I'm sure they're fully educating three young boys at some point between 4pm, meat o'clock, and bedtime. Absolutely.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Cythereal posted:

I cannot focus on the important software with these femoids wiggling their bottoms as they walk past my desk!!!

I hAvE TO bE PerFecTly SaNE

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...
AITA for feeling hurt that I found out I’m less healthy than my gf?

quote:

My gf is active and loves skiing, hiking, climbing and other outdoor sports but never goes to the gym. She goes to the climbing gym a few times a month but that it and is basically a weekend warrior type. She doesn’t go to the gym because she thinks it’s not as fun. I work out 4-5 days a week for 1-2 h and has a very healthy eating regimen of low carb and high protein. My gf eats healthy but buys whatever is on sale and doesn’t count macros or anything. I have talked to her about being more serious about her diet for better performance but she’s convinced her way is better. Anyway we decided to put it to the test and we went for body fat testing. We did hydrostatic water weighting (very accurate) at the local university and had a bet that the fitter person gets $100. I know women have more body fat naturally so we were going off a body fat chart by gender and not percentage.

We got the results and I felt kind of humiliated because she actually had less body fat than me. She had 17% body fat and I have 19%. I can’t believe it because it puts her in the very lean category and me in the fair category. I look lean but apparently I’m not. She proceeded to brag about how I talk like I know poo poo when I should actually lose body fat and brought up every time I’ve bought up eating healthier to her. I let her have her victory until she kept doing it for over 2 weeks telling friends what we did when I told her to not tell anyone. I lost my temper when she told our mutual friend and he started laughing at me saying it was ironic since I liked to brag about how healthy I am. We had a fight after we left our friends house where I told her to never talk about my health in other people and she countered that I had no trouble talking about it when I thought I was lean.

quantumwell
Jun 22, 2013

Shithouse Dave posted:

Definitely report this to HR, so they can be made aware of how insane you are, bucko

This reads a lot like that stemlord who got fired from google for publishing his anti-woman
manifesto on an internal chat board. I wonder how his lawsuit went ?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Cythereal posted:

:kstare:

The worst part about rehabilitating dudes like this is that they're just smart enough to consistently duck the humility they need to really come to terms.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Evil Willow posted:

Lmaoooo

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Evil Willow posted:

But did she pull her hair back?

Skutter
Apr 8, 2007

Well you can fuck that sky high!

AITA for telling a dietitian that his advice about weight loss is useless?

quote:

My husband has been pestering me about losing weight lately. I have gained around 4 kg during the pandemic due to the fact that I work more and honestly I have no time or energy to work out anymore. For context I’m a doctor, I have been with my husband for 5.5 years and we’re both 28.

He has mentioned that he wants me to lose some weight as he finds my legs too thick and he isn’t attracted to my body since I gained weight. I have struggled with disordered eating in the past but I have been athletic my whole life so I know how to lose weight. Despite having gained some weight I’m still at a normal weight for my height.

Last week we had some friends over and one of my husband’s friends is a dietician. Apparently my husband had spoken to him about my struggle (?) with weight loss and he felt like giving me unsolicited advice in front of everyone at the table in my own house. He started saying I should be eating a caloric deficit, a lot of protein and vegetables etc. I mean, duh. I asked him why he felt like telling me these and he admitted that my husband told him I have been struggling with losing weight, which I haven’t. I thanked him and said that I actually am not on a diet right now.

Later we were eating a dessert that I had made and this idiot said “you might want to cut down on sugar and carbs if you wanna lose weight”. I saw red. I told him I don’t need his useless advice, everyone knows these and it’s actually common sense and not to mention that I’m a literal doctor and probably now more about the biochemistry of metabolism than him. I admit now that I was maybe unnecessarily rude but I was furious with him for giving me advice when I didn’t ask, especially on a sensitive topic.

After they had left, my husband told me I was an rear end in a top hat for lashing out at a friend who had just wanted to help and whose help he had asked. He also said his friends who are dietitians and dentists don’t like being compared to doctors and hearing that their profession is useless. I never said it’s useless, it’s just not needed by me and definitely not when I didn’t even ask for advice. We have been sleeping separately the whole week and he refuses to talk to me unless I apologize to his friend. So AITA?

Edit: English isn’t my first language and I just noticed that I have spelled dietician wrong in the title..drat.

Comment: NTA. I think your husband was here the other day and we all told him he was an AH. Let me find the link...
OP: Oh..

Husband's post:
AITA for asking my girlfriend to lose weight?

quote:

English isn’t my first language so please bear with me.

I have been dating my GF (both 28) for 5.5 years. When I met her she was around 60 kg, I liked her body but found her thighs a little bit too thick, though she was very muscular and I never said anything. During the pandemic she gained 4-5 kg due to the fact that she had to work more (she’s a doctor) and didn’t have the time and energy to work out as much as before. I tried mentioning this fact to her several times but she didn’t seem to care enough to start a diet. She looked rather offended and claimed that she would do it eventually when she was in a better place mentally. That moment never came.

Eventually I asked one of my friends who is a dietitian for advice on weight loss and told her what he told me. She was mad. She told me she knows how to lose weight, it’s not rocket science and she has been working out her whole life while I haven’t so she knows better. She also reminded me of her disordered eating in Highschool and cried a lot that day. I told her that we can go to a dietitian together and that unfortunately I don’t find her “new” body attractive and I also want her to be healthy, although she claims that she is in a normal weigh for her height (around 167 cm I think). I think it should be a priority to make sure we stay attractive for our partner, especially at a young age. She asked me what I would do if she was pregnant or had given birth, but that is a different situation.

The problem now is that since our fight not only does she not act as warmly as she used to, but she has also stopped eating. We used to enjoy eating dessert or takeout together sometimes but now she always claims that she’s not hungry, has already eaten etc. When I asked her to stop thinking about our fight and delete my words from her mind, she said “You can’t control what I think, you can only control what you say. Once the words leave your mouth you no longer have control over what I do with them.” I think it’s pathological not being able to admit that you have gained weight and I find her reaction extreme. I fear that I have created a monster. This isn’t Highschool anymore and there is no need to get triggered by a simple suggestion. I felt that she dismissed my wishes when she didn’t put effort into losing weight but now I’m afraid she might lose the weight in an unhealthy weight. My mother agrees with me that I have the right to comment on my partners body. So AITA for asking my gf to lose some weight?

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!
DECORATIVE WOMEN guy writes like he's a particularly unsubtle insane Frank Miller character

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

Evil Willow posted:

Lol every friend group in their twenties has that one guy that everyone else agrees "is gonna get his rear end kicked one day" but instead everyone just gets to heartily laugh at Mr. Macros when his girlfriend severely deflates his ego.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Skutter posted:

Comment: NTA. I think your husband was here the other day and we all told him he was an AH. Let me find the link...
OP: Oh..

Husband's post:
Lmfao watching marriages explode in reverse is a unique schadenfreude to the internet.

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...
I love it when posts collide! The original post by the ex-wife on relationship_advice has been deleted but I found it on rareddit, and the ex-husband posted on AITA......

My (30f) family won’t stop inviting my exhusband (38m) to family events even though he now brings his new wife (20sf)

quote:

I’m 30f. I got officially divorced from my ex two years ago after five years of marriage and three years of dating. We divorced because I found out he was cheating on me with his now wife (not sure about her age, early/mid 20s).

AITA for continuing to go to family dinners I’m invited to that my exwife also goes to?

quote:

My family knew my ex before we begun dating. He was my grandmother’s late best friends grandson (His grandmother, Adeline, who was a wonderful woman, passed last winter). For obvious reasons there weren’t too many get togethers over the last two years. My family has recently restarted doing holiday/birthday celebrations, and to my extreme shock when I went to the first one, my ex had been invited. My grandmother said she had watched him grow up, he was like family, and it would be a betrayal of her friendship with Adeline to “abandon” him with no other family (his parents passed about 10 years ago).

I told them if he was there, I wouldn’t come to any more family functions, my grandmother invited him for thanksgiving anyway and I didn’t go. My grandfather ended up passing away two weeks later and my grandmother was furious at me for ruining his last family meal with my absence.

I went to the funeral, and then Christmas dinner and just managed to avoid my ex, sitting on opposite sides of the table. Yesterday there was a dinner to celebrate January birthdays and this time he was there but he brought his new wife. And it’s not that I still have feelings or I’m not over him it’s just not pleasant to see them there together. My grandmother said it was ridiculous to not let him bring his wife and if I married someone else I could feel free to bring them. The rest of my family has all grown up with my ex so they all love him. I know if I cut off my family there’s no going back. But I feel like they’d rather have them there than me.

AITA for continuing to go to family dinners I’m invited to that my exwife also goes to?
I’m 38m. I was married to my exwife for five years, dating for two before that. Before I began dating her, our grandmothers were best friends. I’ve known her family since before she (my exwife) was born. I’m an only child and both of my parents passed away about 10 years ago so her family really became mine.

We divorced two years ago. My grandmother passed last year. Because if the pandemic there really weren’t any get togethers. Recently, her grandmother began throwing more dinner parties, thanksgiving, Christmas, birthdays, etc. I was very surprised when she invited me to the first one, as I was sure my exwife wouldn’t be happy. Her grandmother assured me that she would talk to her granddaughter, and that it was important for her to have me there, especially with the passing of my grandmother (her best friend) the year before. She said she hated the thought of me celebrating holidays alone, or missing out on birthday celebrations I had been attending my entire life.

My ex was upset, and didn’t come to thanksgiving dinner. Her grandmother spoke to her again after that, and she began attending again. We don’t talk or sit near each other, but there isn’t any animosity or fighting.

Recently though, I’ve heard from a mutual friend she thinks I’m a huge AH for attending these dinners, even though she’s never said anything directly to me.

AITA for attending these dinners?

edit I never cheated on my ex wife. I didn’t even know my current wife when we split. We separated because of her paranoia. I work in the health field and every time I had to work late she would call the hospital and see if I was actually there. I was constantly reassuring her and it was never good enough. She was constantly starting fights with me. It got tiring.

There's one dude in the comments getting downvoted on all of their comments who's all like "if the posts's gone you can't prove it existed!" and defending the ex-husband.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Soylent Pudding posted:

In the absence of meat, bite the hand that literally feeds.

AITA for 'starving' and 'poisoning' my friend's kids?

any time anybody asks me to watch their kids, i give 'em peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for lunch. then i tell the parents i gave the kids vegan food

never had to watch a kid twice

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Cythereal posted:

Oh please post a link for this, searching even directly in Reddit doesn't return the thread and I really want the comments on this one.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Midnight Voyager posted:

There's something just especially dehumanizing about calling pretty women "decorative." Like that's their only purpose.

I'm fairly sure this guy is not a native English speaker but not sure what language his native one might be. Sounds a bit like my (insane) ex-husband who was not a native English speaker either.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Breetai posted:

Oh please post a link for this, searching even directly in Reddit doesn't return the thread and I really want the comments on this one.

(it's from the old thread, I've been trawling through it now and then looking for stories that deserved to be remembered, this one was from 2018)

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Evil Willow posted:

My (30f) family won’t stop inviting my exhusband (38m) to family events even though he now brings his new wife (20sf)
Holy poo poo grandma you're loving awful.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

AITA for not taking my daughter to the doctor's office when she was sick?

quote:

Hi, all. So, for context I (48f) live with my wife and 5 kids, all under the ages of 6 except for my oldest.

T (18), my daughter from a previous relationship, was really sick about a week ago, and she stayed home from school all week, which I was fine with. The problems only arose on Friday, as the only reason I had the weekend off was because I was planning on going to a dart tournament out of state. I would be gone for the entire weekend and T would have to watch the kids Friday until my wife got work as well as her usual job of looking after them all day on Saturday.

But Friday rolls around and T hasn't gotten any better. She also seems extremely annoyed at the fact that she was going to have to watch 3 kids (the youngest went to the babysitter's since she's an infant) in my absence, but I didn't think much of it because she was the only option we had and I knew she could monitor things even if she was sick. But apparently my ex called her and she told him she wanted to see a doctor, to which he angrily called me and asked why I hadn't taken her yet. I told him I didn't know she wanted to see one and there was nothing I could do about that now because I was getting ready to leave for the weekend, but he wasn't in the mood to understand my point of view.

I myself asked T if she wanted to go to the doctor's and she said yes, but there was no way I could take her (she doesn't have a car or a license) so I left it at that and went to my tournament. Practically the entire time I was getting angry calls from my wife and ex, yelling about how I left T at home sick in charge of 3 kids ranging from 5 to 2 years old. I tried to call in and check on my daughter when I could, but every time I tried she either didn't answer the phone or seemed really annoyed when she did. So AITA for not taking my daughter to the doctor?

quote:

This is not her first time watching them whilst she's sick. She's done it before and things have been fine. In addition to working 6 days a week I also play darts on Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays and sometimes Thursday nights as well and she's home watching the kids until my wife gets off work. I know T doesn't particularly like doing this but she doesn't do anything outside of going to school and I think she'll learn to appreciate these opportunities when she's older and it's not like she isn't used to this already.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
What are these opportunities

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

Mx. posted:

AITA for not taking my daughter to the doctor's office when she was sick?

I had to stand up after reading this due to the rage suffusing me.

quantumwell
Jun 22, 2013

CharlestheHammer posted:

What are these opportunities

The opportunity to have no social life, and raise kids that aren't hers while Mom drinks
beer with her dart buddies

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

but you see, she doesn't DO anything outside of school (because her time is completely taken up by being forced to take care of her siblings)

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
She, of course, replied positively to the single person who responded positively to her. (Who is, from a cursory glance, an antivaxxer font of bad advice)

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Evil Willow posted:

I love it when posts collide! The original post by the ex-wife on relationship_advice has been deleted but I found it on rareddit, and the ex-husband posted on AITA......

There's one dude in the comments getting downvoted on all of their comments who's all like "if the posts's gone you can't prove it existed!" and defending the ex-husband.

Well can't say anything about whether he was in fact cheating as she says or instead she was constantly accusing him of cheating he couldn't take the paranoia anymore like she says and didn't even meet his current wife until after the divorce, but seems likely her family doesn't BELIEVE he was cheating. That doesn't actually tell us anything one way or the other about if he actually was of course, but it certainly flavors why they still want to invite the family friend to family functions.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

Skutter posted:

Husband's post:

Wife's other post:

quote:

We are both 28 and have been together for 5.5 years. We are both average looking people, average weights and heights. This is relevant.

It started when he asked me to lose weight. I have admittedly gained around 4 kg during the pandemic because of working more (I’m a doctor) and having less energy to work out but I’m still in a normal weight. I have always been insecure about my body and suffered from some disordered eating in high school, but I thought my body is healthy and supporting me so why should I hate it? Well that didn’t last long, since he had been pestering me to lose weight for a few months. It’s actually not that easy and I find myself overthinking everything I eat.

Then he went after my clothes. I don’t like wearing tight clothes because of said body issues. His mother and his female friends are more girly than me, dressing more femininely and doing their makeup while I’m not very interested in fashion. He told me he hates my clothes and they make me look older and bigger. Then it was the fact that I don’t enjoy doing my make up on a daily basis. I’ll do it when we go out but not for work etc. He wishes I put more effort in my appearance while I’m exhausted from seeing people dying from COVID.

Then it was my facial hair, which I don’t even think I have. We all have peach fuzz but I have no interest in shaving it. And last but not least… he asked me if I would consider having a breast reduction surgery. I mean, my chest isn’t even that big. Sometimes I wish it was smaller so I could wear more open clothes in the summer but other than that it doesn’t really bother me, but nowadays I look myself in the mirror and I don’t even know if I like what I see.

He still has some acne on his face and I suggested some products that would help him and he got upset because he thought I was humiliating him. I asked him to come to the gym with me because it would be good for his health and again he became upset. He says I don’t accept constructive criticism about my appearance and that I cry a lot but he puts no effort in his appearance whatsoever. The problem is that we really love each other, other than this issue he treats me with so much love and care.

Any advice from people with similar issues are welcome.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

The rare reverse Bridezilla
AITA for not cancelling my wedding because my SIL's due date is close to our wedding date?

quote:

My SIL is 2 months pregnant and she's due in August 6.

Mine and my fiancé's wedding date is July 30th. We've saved the date and booked every venue about it since May. Booking a wedding these days can be really hard since everyone is rescheduling after two years of constant postponements.

My SIL announced that she's two months pregnant last week. She also said her due date. We congratulated her and we were really excited.

After few days, yesterday we met with her again and she said she wanted to sit me and my husband down and discuss the cancellation or postponement of our wedding because of her due date. We were shocked and surprised since we never discussed or even implied the wedding would be postponed. We kindly said to her that we won't cancel the wedding and we won't be mad if she won't be able to make it because her due date will be close. She said she won't accept not attending her brother's wedding so we have to make it work and look for another date. We explained we can't do it right now since every other date will be booked and if we cancel or postpone then next wedding date available is after February 2023. She said fine so be it we should book it for then. My fiancé and I were clear that we cannot and will not postpone. We have already prepaid some aspects of our vendors and we won't get all of our money back if we cancel. Also I'm gonna be honest. We don't want to cancel or postpone either. The wedding has been booked since spring 2021 we've almost finished all preparations for it so we will have the last few months before the wedding more relaxing and chill.

Also my SIL doesn't have an active role in the wedding. She's the groom's sister but she has no duties she'll have to carry out. She can attend and sit in a chair to feel more comfortable and leave whenever she gets tired. She can also choose not to attend all together if she doesn't feel comfortable. Even if she had duties I'd find it perfectly reasonable for her to back out.

My in laws have all gotten involved now and they're trying to pressure us to postpone the wedding because if we don't my SIL will probably not attend and she thinks it's unfair to not be present in her brother's wedding. My fiancé and I have not changed our minds but my SIL claims we are very selfish for not thinking about her feelings too and changing the date. AITA for not postponing/cancelling the wedding?

AITA for secretly fist bumping my son after he got a girl pregnant?

quote:

My son Dylan who is 20, has never had any trouble having girlfriends or getting with girls.

He’s been at his second year of college this year. He has been on and off again with the same girl Ashley for three years.

My son plays football on a scholarship and also parties hard but does well in school.

Dylan came up to visit me and his mother this weekend and told us that him and Ashley broke up because he’s gotten a different girl pregnant.

When I asked him who it was he said that it was a girl who I know he has been into for a while now.

He told us not to worry because they were going to get an abortion and seemed really unworried about it.

His mother was more upset than I was but I honestly am just glad they are making the right choice here.

When my wife went to bed, Dylan and I stayed awake a bit longer and talked.

I told him that I was glad they weren’t going to have the baby but then I gave him a fistbump and said that he reminded me of myself when I was young going after all the women around me. I jokingly told him that he better not tell his mom what I said.

Well it turns out he did after him and his mother got into a fight about the whole thing and Dylan threw it at her that I “didn’t see it as a big deal either.”

I tried to tell her that I do think it’s a big deal but that they’re making the right choice so I was just having a bit of fun with it. She wouldn’t listen to me.

So AITA here? Obviously I’m glad that they aren’t having the baby so I really was just joking around with it but my wife sees it differently.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

reignonyourparade posted:

> They are being homeschooled is what I've been told.

It's a little surprising that OP had never heard the homeschooling come up and the kids. Maybe willfully looking the other way on it.

Jam With Seeds posted:

No, no, I'm sure they're fully educating three young boys at some point between 4pm, meat o'clock, and bedtime. Absolutely.
Maybe from wake up to 11:30, but obviously not.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

If you want to attend any wedding for any given roughly 2-3 year window, I recommend not having a kid in that span.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Arsenic Lupin posted:

AITA for secretly fist bumping my son after he got a girl pregnant?

Who do you blame when your kid is a Frat~
Toxic and gross like a chimpanzee's sack~
Blaming the boy is a lie and a shame~
You know exactly

who

to

blame~

Grape fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Jan 31, 2022

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Arsenic Lupin posted:

The rare reverse Bridezilla
AITA for not cancelling my wedding because my SIL's due date is close to our wedding date?

The SIL maybe has a point if the wedding was scheduled after the pregnancy was announced, but even that is a stretch. OP should tell her SIL she should have done a better job of scheduling the baby if she cared so much about the wedding, she knew the wedding date and standard gestation period of humans before getting pregnant.

Of course maybe she's having twins, that changes everything.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Of course the idiot fistbumping his son over knocking a girl up hasn't waited till the abortion is finished to celebrate. Always counting their chickens before they're unhatched

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

AITA for “threatening” my new neighbors with my dog?

quote:

For some context, I (F28) just moved from my city to my first house in a suburban neighborhood about six months ago. Just me and my dog Oaken, a Dutch Shepherd. My dog is trained as a Personal Protection Dog (PPD).

I’m a runner and Oaken runs with me. We were running in our neighborhood’s park and pond area, I had my AirPods in, it was just getting dark.

I’d noticed in passing a guy on his bike on the same trails, and as we were coming around the pond he was stopped on our path. He waved us down and said he had dropped his keys, asked if I had seen them on the path, asked if I had a light on me because he thinks he dropped them in the grass, wanted to know if I lived in the neighborhood, which house was mine, if I was nearby because he didn’t see any cars in the parking area that he didn’t recognize, basically anything to keep us there and keep talking.

Not scary, but annoying with a definite hint of creepy.

After he forgot his initial story and said “I’m gonna be so pissed at myself if I lost another earbud, that’s my third pair and they’re nearly 300 bucks a pop” I moved to leave and he stood in the path and started asking about Oaken. Oaken wasn’t doing anything aggressive at this point, no hair raised no growling or barking, he was doing exactly what he was trained to do and every time the guy would move to get closer to us he would just stand between me and him. The guy asked if he was friendly, asked to pet him, and I said I’d rather he not. He kept saying dogs loved him, blah blah, I again said no and we started to walk around the guy to go.

That’s when he decided it would be a good idea to try to grab Oaken’s leash. (I have no idea why, your guess is as good as mine.) Oaken backed us up, low growl, showed his teeth. Didn’t snap, didn’t bite. We left.

The encounter was strange enough I posted in the Neighborhood app. Nothing accusing the guy of attacking us or anything over the top like that, just that my dog and I had gotten stopped by a stranger out running and a reminder not to grab at a person’s dog or dog leash without permission.

Apparently, Park Guy's wife read the post and recognized her husband immediately, because since then she’s been telling every neighbor who will listen about my “aggressive attack dog.” I’ve now gotten a letter from the HOA and apparently the next homeowner’s meeting has breed specific bans on the agenda. While I believe Oaken’s response was appropriate and controlled, I’m feeling sad and disappointed that my new community has the wrong impression. I’m not out to terrify people.

AITA for posting what I posted to the Neighborhood app and apparently starting a feud with my new neighbor? Was I wrong for calling out Park Guy publicly?

EDIT 1:

Yes, I have a home security system and cameras. The previous homeowners had a couple of collectible cars in the detached garage/apartment, and put in an extensive system.

Park Guy’s questions about where I lived, etc. didn’t immediately set off crazy red flags because I’ve been asked very similar questions by multiple women multiple times in the neighborhood too. I’m getting the impression I’m the youngest person in the area by a good 20 or more years because people have asked me who my parents are, who I’m visiting etc. It seems like the only “young people” hanging around are ones who drive in from other places to get to the park and this neighborhood seems weirdly territorial about their park.

I will definitely talk to an officer about a report.

EDIT 2:

Thank you very much Reddit for the kind support, and the overall objective and outside look into the situation. I did contact the local police department and they sent two officers out yesterday. I walked them through the situation, at what point I felt uncomfortable, and exactly how the neighbor then unknown to me stood to block me and reached for my dog’s leash. I gave them my written account and a couple of pictures of exactly where everything happened. I showed them the post in Nextdoor.

The officers were both very encouraging that I had done the right thing by contacting them, although one of them did admit she groaned a little when she got the dispatch to our neighborhood - apparently this neighborhood has a habit of calling in and reporting “suspicious behavior” that boils down to people who don’t live here using park equipment, fishing in the ponds, or just looking suspicious walking down the street. While there’s not technically a gate at the front entrance, and there are walking paths around some of the walled off areas and into the park, the residents feel pretty exclusive about our private, “gated” community and it’s the perfect environment for the ladies whose names start with K to thrive.

The officers went to speak to the neighbor and also his wife, and he admitted to chatting me up because he didn’t recognize me and wanted to know what I was doing there, but he denied he was actually trying to detain me. He said he saw that my dog had embroidery on his leash and was looking to see if it was an address. The officers gave him a pretty extensive talking to on how inappropriate his behavior was, and how lucky he was he didn’t actually put his hands on me or get the leash and how lucky he was he hadn’t tried to intimidate me further with a weapon or threat etc. They advised him it would be a good idea if he steered clear of me in the future, and if he has an actual concern about someone in the neighborhood or in the park, to leave it up to LEOs.

His wife apparently tried to convince the cops that I should be thankful people in this neighborhood “look out for one another” and the officers said they very professionally laughed in her face.

Everything is on record now, and I plan on penning a preemptive letter including the police report as an attachment and sending it to the HOA letting them know that if breed specific motions are on the agenda next meeting I would like to present said information in person.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Midnight Voyager posted:

I've only ever heard the term "decorative" before from a younger coworker who ticked all the boxes for immensely creepy weirdo. Right down to wearing one of those not-fedoras and even trying to put anime posters of young girls in his work area.

I was so happy when HR finally got rid of him. Took way too loving long to boot his arse to the curb for someone who had so many complaints against them as he did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I used to love wearing actual fedoras in the '80s, and I am extremely pissed off that they are now a synonym for "pretentious rear end in a top hat".

Me and Laura Holt, man. "Try this for a deep dark secret. The great detective Remington Steele? He doesn't exist. I invented him. Follow."