Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS
It is no steel beauty but I fell so hard in love with my single speed belt mtb I decided to try something better suited for road rides. Not sure yet if I’ll need to bother with slicks but I did stick some clipless pedals on there to help use every muscle group.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!
that's very pretty, but my one minor complaint would be that the blue pedals aren't my thing. Having never ridden anything with a belt, what's the benefit over a chain?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Mauser posted:

that's very pretty, but my one minor complaint would be that the blue pedals aren't my thing. Having never ridden anything with a belt, what's the benefit over a chain?
It's extremely quiet, it pretty much never wears, and doesn't need lubrication.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
drat, for $250/$400 this company will retrofit a belt to your steel/ti frame.

https://www.ticycles.com/store-services/service-belt-drive-retrofit

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

eeenmachine posted:

It is no steel beauty but I fell so hard in love with my single speed belt mtb I decided to try something better suited for road rides. Not sure yet if I’ll need to bother with slicks but I did stick some clipless pedals on there to help use every muscle group.

oh yes

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS

Mauser posted:

Lucky for you I swapped them out for red Time clipless pedals!

Oh and the other benefit is the buttery smooth and silent ride :chanpop:

eeenmachine fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Jan 30, 2022

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

Good god that's so good. I'd love to try a belt drive bike one day.

To contribute:

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!
For you guys who want to try a better drive, but doesn't have a split frame, there's this company https://www.veercycle.com/

I've been using their belt drive on my commuter bike - and it just works without any problems.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊
I'm pretty interested in belt drive, but my experience with IGHs is putting me off. They're either very expensive or break easily, or both, and having stuff on my bike I don't understand and can't maintain myself feels bad. Are the good IGHs really good enough to keep up with a belt drive, or are you just replacing chain maintenance with more risks for shifting issues?

Regular derailleurs are both reliable and mechanically simple, so tinkering and keeping them working is pretty easy.

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS

Phosphine posted:

I'm pretty interested in belt drive, but my experience with IGHs is putting me off. They're either very expensive or break easily, or both, and having stuff on my bike I don't understand and can't maintain myself feels bad. Are the good IGHs really good enough to keep up with a belt drive, or are you just replacing chain maintenance with more risks for shifting issues?

Regular derailleurs are both reliable and mechanically simple, so tinkering and keeping them working is pretty easy.

I’ve owned 2 belt + Alfine 11 bikes and bounced off both. But for single speed? :swoon:

The smoothest drivetrain I’ve ever owned was an ebike with a belt drive and a Nuvinci Envoilo hub.

eeenmachine fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Jan 30, 2022

lodie
Feb 8, 2004

Senf posted:

Good god that's so good. I'd love to try a belt drive bike one day.

To contribute:

so pretty. all-city supremacy

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Kidney Stone posted:

For you guys who want to try a better drive, but doesn't have a split frame, there's this company https://www.veercycle.com/

I've been using their belt drive on my commuter bike - and it just works without any problems.

Huh, so it's a chain-like belt held together by a rivet. I wonder how that longevity compares to a solid belt, especially for rougher expedition riding. I guess carrying extra belts or rivets would be very light.

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!
Haven't had any problems with the belt in the 3 years I've had it.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Yeah not doubting you, just curious how it'd handle bikepacking and rugged conditions a commuter bike doesn't normally see. Cool product though, I'm adding it to my bookmarks for my singlespeed idea.

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS
How easy is it to remove and replace the belt pins if you need to remove the rear wheel in the field?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The main concern off-road would be little stones getting trapped between the belt and pulley right? Seems like you'd have to get awfully lucky for it to happen right where the master link piece is

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Yeah I'm curious how belt drives handle mud and debris relative to chains. I think they're generally touted as being better at that?

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

The Curse of the Flying Criosphinx

Bottom Liner posted:

Yeah I'm curious how belt drives handle mud and debris relative to chains. I think they're generally touted as being better at that?

The newer Gates belts with the center track are better. The older ones would jump when drivetrains got muddy, saw it a few times in cyclocross races. “Newer” … I guess they’ve had it for a while now. I’m a fossil.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

eeenmachine posted:

The smoothest drivetrain I’ve ever owned was an ebike with a belt drive and a Nuvinci Envoilo hub.
this is a neat combo and apparently the new hubs aren't as adverse to shifting under load (which wouldn't budge at all if you had foot/assist going).

YES

Slavvy posted:

The main concern off-road would be little stones getting trapped between the belt and pulley right? Seems like you'd have to get awfully lucky for it to happen right where the master link piece is
I've done literal hundreds of kilometers on gravel paths and this has never happened. A couple days ago I did manage to throw the belt half off by letting it ingest a dark rag I hadn't noticed. I popped it back on, good new.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Jan 31, 2022

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

I like the way you think.

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS

Man those bars look delicious.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

evil_bunnY posted:

this is a neat combo and apparently the new hubs aren't as adverse to shifting under load (which wouldn't budge at all if you had foot/assist going).

YES

I've done literal hundreds of kilometers on gravel paths and this has never happened. A couple days ago I did manage to throw the belt half off by letting it ingest a dark rag I hadn't noticed. I popped it back on, good new.

That's pretty awesome I have to say.

I had the chance to ride a 5 speed internal hub bike and I thought that + belt drive would be the ideal drivetrain for almost everything.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Bottom Liner posted:

For just small dirt particles, you can hear the grittiness of it grinding against the drive cog for a while, until it pulverizes to some size that no longer makes a sound or evacuates the surface. The belt seems relatively slick compared to a chain, as far as stuff sticking to it.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Slavvy posted:

I had the chance to ride a 5 speed internal hub bike and I thought that + belt drive would be the ideal drivetrain for almost everything.
That's what I have (inter5 di2) on the cargo bike and it's nice but not perfect. It doesn't shift under load, and snaps all the shift you requested once you reduce the load which can be jarring (and noisy).

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
the alfine 8 is pretty bulletproof, see them on rideshare bikes a lot and if they can handle that kind of neglect and abuse I’m sure I’ll never kill mine

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

evil_bunnY posted:

That's what I have (inter5 di2) on the cargo bike and it's nice but not perfect. It doesn't shift under load, and snaps all the shift you requested once you reduce the load which can be jarring (and noisy).

Oh that sounds unpleasant, so it basically works the opposite of a derailleur? Like you have to back the torque off momentarily to let out change?

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS
Wasn’t brave enough to take the single speed up the mountain.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

eeenmachine posted:

Wasn’t brave enough to take the single speed up the mountain.

Hell yeah

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
Presented without context

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS

Jestery posted:

Presented without context

Is that a horn or bell? I don’t see how it is controlled.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Car horn project I'm working on

There will be a video when it's all wired up

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

That will be loud as a fucker when there isn't a whole car in the way, you might need ear protection.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Slavvy posted:

That will be loud as a fucker when there isn't a whole car in the way, you might need ear protection.

Noted

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Slavvy posted:

Oh that sounds unpleasant, so it basically works the opposite of a derailleur? Like you have to back the torque off momentarily to let out change?
Ya. The motor does that for you (because di2 talks to both the assist and the hub) but you still have to let off. Every geared hub I've ridden is like that to some extent.

e.pilot posted:

the alfine 8 is pretty bulletproof, see them on rideshare bikes a lot and if they can handle that kind of neglect and abuse I’m sure I’ll never kill mine
If you don't put e-assist power through them they're really good IME (LBS agrees), the only issue is water pooling in the shifter housing and that's not specific to alfine.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Feb 6, 2022

Development
Jun 2, 2016

yesterday - first time a bike thread goon rides zinc fingaz for a full ride!

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime

Development posted:

yesterday - first time a bike thread goon rides zinc fingaz for a full ride!

:shittydog:

Such a cool frame and rode super smooth on the big 650b slicks. That's a real forever bike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gahmah
Nov 4, 2009

got me a casual rider for the stores and bars