Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Ssthalar
Sep 16, 2007

Come on in, the water's fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
Look at all those delicious, refreshing hydrocarbons. You love to see it.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
send in obama he knows how to solve bad water

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

gently caress gently caress
gently caress
gently caress
gently caress
gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress

gently caress
gently caress

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Wow, why did Donziger do this to Chevron??

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
I still can't get over it being the OCP pipeline.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
ocp stands for one contaminated planet

Feral Integral
Jun 6, 2006

YOSPOS

I'm glad there's footage of this poo poo, its absolutely harrowing. Release donzinger

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

Oil is nasty rear end poo poo

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Egg Moron posted:

Oil is nasty rear end poo poo

:emptyquote:

runaway pancake
Dec 13, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Gravy Boat 2k
toss a little Dawn dish soap on there, i heard that works on oil

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

oh god I accidentally stumbled into the D&D climate change thread and after 10 posts started wondering who these dummies were that took over the thread

it’s unreadable

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Ruggan posted:

oh god I accidentally stumbled into the D&D climate change thread and after 10 posts started wondering who these dummies were that took over the thread

it’s unreadable

I had to completely unbookmark it because every so often someone would post there, it would float to the top with the same general poo poo we were talking about but with like "dont be so doomer about this" and id be all "who tha gently caress are these libs?"

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Conspiratiorist posted:

I see you found Thug Lessons' twitter account.

lmao

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

SKULL.GIF posted:

so you have, let's say the cap is at 100B, 8% chance to be alive in the past 22 years

vs a 92% chance to be alive between 200000BCE and 1999AD, a span that encompasses roughly twenty five hundred human lifetimes

the gap in this logic is that you are only considering the % through now - and based on the history of human growth “now” is almost always be the most likely time to be alive but quickly becomes eclipsed by the future

considering we don’t know what the future looks like, this percentage may remain high OR it may become a lot smaller

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
has anyone ever thought about just setting the oil on fire whenever there's an oil spill? that should get rid of it

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

has anyone ever thought about just setting the oil on fire whenever there's an oil spill? that should get rid of it

:hmmyes: i mean it seems like it works

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Rime posted:

I spend a frankly inordinate amount of time on these same thoughts, OP.

Could have been born in Merv, just in time for the mongols to slaughter the entire city and raze it.

Could have lived a million lives of casual tribal subsistence in South America or the Pacific, generations never "knowing" more than was necessary to survive.

Could have seen the peak of Byzantium or its utter fall, or whatever unimaginable world exists a century or a millennium from now.

Instead, I'm here, in the dying light of capitalism, reading Zen Buddhism and watching things unfold.

Pity the fool who cannot, or will not, comprehend their place in history, IMO. :cheers:

Cool to think that we're living in one of the eras that other people have dreamed about in this exact way in the past, and likely will in the future.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

d&d climate posters are all talking about bikes and which spots in europe they are going to flee to before the elections :leavemtg:

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
how could steve donzinger do this to the pipeline and the economynature surrounding it, death sentence imho

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
I always thought these huge pipelines would have valves every so often to stop the flow if there was a blowout.

I guess they don't.

lol

lmao

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Delta-Wye posted:

https://twitter.com/AFrontlines/status/1487553682212282371

the solution to pollution is dilution, so this is good actually

oil and water become one

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Fame Douglas posted:

Wow, why did Donziger do this to Chevron??

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

starkebn posted:

I always thought these huge pipelines would have valves every so often to stop the flow if there was a blowout.

I guess they don't.

lol

lmao

sounds expensive. don’t be a worrywart! accidents are rare

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

i have now seen an oil spill in all biomes

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

starkebn posted:

I guess they don't.

lol

lmao
they probably lose more money stopping the throughput of fuel entirely than losing some out of holes over some period of time, so why would they bother

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Chevron has a bold plan to alleviate rural poverty with free oil

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

bedpan posted:

Chevron has a bold plan to alluviate rural poverty

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I still can't get over it being the OCP pipeline.

Oil Clown Posse

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

bedpan posted:

Chevron has a bold plan to alleviate rural poverty with free oil

rural poverty can’t exist if nobody can live there

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

mediaphage posted:

gently caress
gently caress
gently caress
gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress

gently caress
gently caress

Howdges
Dec 29, 2012

hmm, seems bad

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
you ever think about how our entire civilization is constructed of sinister black ooze that poisons whatever it touches

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Oxxidation posted:

you ever think about how our entire civilization is constructed of sinister black ooze that poisons whatever it touches

It’s ok we’re using it to harvest the energy of the dead, surely nothing can go wrong

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.

Trabisnikof posted:

It’s ok we’re using it to harvest the energy of the dead, surely nothing can go wrong

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

I thought oil pipeline were underground or elevated or something. That looks like they just ran a garden hose through the woods

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
look they have to save money somehow

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Rutibex posted:

I thought oil pipeline were underground or elevated or something. That looks like they just ran a garden hose through the woods

burying or elevating it would cost more money, why do you hate shareholders so much?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

ok this is pretty good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009

Mola Yam posted:

god hole didn't take their phone to the store, that was the whole point of the story. so it's not lightbulbs or gps or whatever.

anyway between the app developers, the hardware manufacturers, and the intelligence agencies with chip-level backdoors, anything connected to the internet is absolutely spying on you all the time. the "good" news is that 99.99% of it is just being done to sell you poo poo more effectively.

there's zero regulation on this, and it's not just some nebulous "they" doing it - detailed worldwide gps data can be bought on the commercial market from a dozen different vendors. i've worked with this data at an unremarkable mid-level consultancy. it's "anonymized" in that the deviceid is hashed, and the terms & conditions ask you pretty please not to de-anonymize it, but it's trivial to do once you have it.

so theres not really that much stopping a bunch of individuals from just buying the gps data of [demographic] and then de-anonymize and release day by day goings of said demographic?

sounds like a project