Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Strong Sauce posted:

seb mckinnon was already known for being a chud. pretty sure he had some previous controversy.

You sure you're not thinking previous community darling Noah Bradley? Though I guess Seb's been following antivax stuff on twitter for a while now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Yeah this is the first thing I’ve seen about Seb, but I’m also not on Twitter

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I definitely thought this was someone who previously got outed as a freak (who I guess was actually Noah Bradley??) and not an entirely new person lol.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

2 months ago
https://www.reddit.com/r/magicthecirclejerking/comments/r5mxag/seb_mckinnons_soulherder_but_its_people_he/

people have known but it's just been kinda simmering.

Strong Sauce fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Jan 31, 2022

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Eej posted:

Oh I missed the part where he's anti vax welp

E: unless you're referring to vaccine mandates which isn't really the same thing

Ostensibly the rally is about opposite to vaccine mandates, but in reality it's a big coalition of various rightwing chuds that range from people just mad about vaccine mandates, to people literally waving nazi and confederate flags around. Buncha people now trying to plead ignorance and distance themselves from the more extreme elements as if they didn't know that's who they were getting into bed with. "Why do all these nazis keep showing up to my rallies???" :thunk:

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Dehtraen posted:

Seb… You were the chosen one

https://www.instagram.com/p/CZXcqO0uh-v/

Known QR Code Hater Seb McKinnon

homeboy got too big for his britches and thought NOW's the time to out myself as an anti-vax nazi, when I'm on top and everybody loves my art. yeah just go ahead and reverse-engineer progressive language to advance my goal of killing Jews and infecting everyone else, that's definitely the play to make my man. the sheer hubris is almost more offensive than his actual views (not really lol)

anyway rot in hell you loving scumbag

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013
like his art. saddened hes gonna probably get removed from mtg. at least theres still wylie beckert

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
lol

Fucker posted:

like his art. saddened hes gonna probably get removed from mtg. at least theres still wylie beckert
wylie is my favorite current mtg artist so it would super suck if he turned out to be a shitmonster too

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Real murderers row of loving idiots there.

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013

Captain Invictus posted:

wylie is my favorite current mtg artist so it would super suck if he turned out to be a shitmonster too

shes a woman, op

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

I take it WOTC and Hasbro don't give enough of a drat to fire him (Seb) over this? I'm guessing not, judging by the responses in this thread.

Edit for clarity.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Fucker posted:

shes a woman, op

Huh. Didn't pick up on that and I've been to her website.

Hope she a) does a bunch more art for MTG and b) can sign some of it at an event sometime.

So I've now played 2 Pioneer leagues on MTGO, 3-2 both times which I'm pretty happy with. Is it right that I'm opening the chests? I've got a few good cards, but they seem pretty low value, possibly because they show up in chests. But I get 1/20th of a free league in play points so there's that.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

I brought my Drake posted:

I take it WOTC and Hasbro don't give enough of a drat to fire him over this? I'm guessing not, judging by the responses in this thread.

Well they divested themself of noah bradley so actually no, theyll probably end thier association with him if it brings too much bad attention

Also he isnt a wotc employee and probably has a few more art pieces in upcoming sets so its not like even if they release a statement today wed see any kind of effect soon

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
I did not know about Wylie Beckert and I'm greatly pleased with what I'm seeing. Hopefully they use her art a lot more from here on.

Lose one artist, gain another. It almost feels like how my interest shifted from Nielsen to Seb when she got outed as a chud too. :sigh:

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

I brought my Drake posted:

I take it WOTC and Hasbro don't give enough of a drat to fire him (Seb) over this? I'm guessing not, judging by the responses in this thread.

Edit for clarity.

Its Sunday. Ain't nobody doing anything on Sunday.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
https://twitter.com/SaffronOlive/status/1487937257126440962?s=20&t=ZCMpEFuCXYvyBTxMJfz2sw
I agree with Seth here. It is not at all clear from the card that this creature has no type and unless you happen to know specifically shrine is an enchantment type you would never play this correctly.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Framboise posted:

I did not know about Wylie Beckert and I'm greatly pleased with what I'm seeing. Hopefully they use her art a lot more from here on.

Lose one artist, gain another. It almost feels like how my interest shifted from Nielsen to Seb when she got outed as a chud too. :sigh:

She's not had art in a set since Strixhaven but hopefully that's just an artist decision for Forgotten Realms and the Innistrads.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
Not a fan of the colorless not flying spirit token returning tbh

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Rebecca Guay is generally quite progressive but she is kind of buying into NFTs (the concept, if not the current execution.)

Still, better than being a nazi or a sex pest or whatever else.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

BizarroAzrael posted:

Huh. Didn't pick up on that and I've been to her website.

Hope she a) does a bunch more art for MTG and b) can sign some of it at an event sometime.

So I've now played 2 Pioneer leagues on MTGO, 3-2 both times which I'm pretty happy with. Is it right that I'm opening the chests? I've got a few good cards, but they seem pretty low value, possibly because they show up in chests. But I get 1/20th of a free league in play points so there's that.

Opening chests currently has a higher EV then selling them, though obviously with higher variance. I sell them generally personally. Goatbots posts their buy/sell/EV of you want to check https://www.goatbots.com/card/treasure-chest-booster

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

neaden posted:

https://twitter.com/SaffronOlive/status/1487937257126440962?s=20&t=ZCMpEFuCXYvyBTxMJfz2sw
I agree with Seth here. It is not at all clear from the card that this creature has no type and unless you happen to know specifically shrine is an enchantment type you would never play this correctly.

Why not just make shrine a creature type? Even if someone were to give all shrines -1/-1 or something, it would rarely ever matter.

Actually, why do the subtypes even have to constricted by card type at all? Is there some edge case where that would matter? Let enchantments be goblins. Who cares.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

I mean I assume NFT using stolen art are a real problem, but lmao at NFTs.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Nighthand posted:

Rebecca Guay is generally quite progressive but she is kind of buying into NFTs (the concept, if not the current execution.)

Still, better than being a nazi or a sex pest or whatever else.

It does make sense that she doesn't want her art to be pirated, and it's something that's been happening in the NFT world. There's an artist who died recently and people have been selling her art as NFTs too and it's kinda really gross. https://www.wired.co.uk/article/nft-fraud-qinni-art

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

I mean I assume NFT using stolen art are a real problem, but lmao at NFTs.

Basically that, yeah.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

NFTs are a stupid idea when virtual real-estate is prime for the picking right now.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

The Human Crouton posted:

Why not just make shrine a creature type? Even if someone were to give all shrines -1/-1 or something, it would rarely ever matter.

Actually, why do the subtypes even have to constricted by card type at all? Is there some edge case where that would matter? Let enchantments be goblins. Who cares.

So that Forest isn't a creature type just because Dryad Arbor exists.

Enchantments can be Goblins.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
If NFTs gave you some kind of enforceable rights, I could see as a high-profile artist minting my own work just to own it.

But as I understand, it doesn't actually do that and the image is more of a representative of a pont in space, code-wide. So like, her owning an NFT of a piece doesn't actually give her any (further) legal leverage against someone stealing it vs what she already has as the copyright holder.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Yeah the problem with NFTs is that the idea of NFTs and what NFTs actually are and do are two totally different things. What they actually are is a scam tricking artists and art-likers into buying into artificial scarcity via purchasing hyperlinks to image files and nothing to do with the actual art or art rights at all. All they do is scam people, facilitate art theft, and promote more crypto bullshit.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

NFTs are currently a very good way for commission artists to make a bunch of money very quickly, so that's disappointing but not overly surprising

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Artists who are able to make a significant amount of money from rich people with more money than common sense isn't the worst thing, I suppose?

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

Froghammer posted:

NFTs are currently a very good way for commission artists to make a bunch of money very quickly, so that's disappointing but not overly surprising

citation needed on very good

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Framboise posted:

Artists who are able to make a significant amount of money from rich people with more money than common sense isn't the worst thing, I suppose?

there's a thread about NFTs, actually two. but the gist is, making NFTs is not a free action. most artists have lost money trying to get into a field they have no idea about. even worse they've had their stuff stolen, copied, etc..

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Framboise posted:

If it wasn't for the energy use they'd be stupid but benign, scam potential nonwithstanding. The energy use is what makes them a problem for / to those not directly involved.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Using an NFT to sell your art isn't doing anything other than attract attention from people who want to buy NFTs. And those people want them either: a) because they're NFTs (the dumber option) or b) because they want to flip them to the other kind of buyer (also the dumb option). You could sell your digital art normally and agree with the buyer on whatever imagined provisions for exclusivity you want and it would work exactly the same.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

It looks like they tried real hard to fix Godo lol.

quote:

there's a thread about NFTs, actually two. but the gist is, making NFTs is not a free action. most artists have lost money trying to get into a field they have no idea about. even worse they've had their stuff stolen, copied, etc..

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

If it wasn't for the energy use they'd be stupid but benign, scam potential nonwithstanding. The energy use is what makes them a problem for / to those not directly involved.

I see. There's been a part of me that wants to get in on it and make something completely vapid and pointless that I have no emotional attachment to just to see if it would sell to rich weirdos but I don't understand the logistics of any of it at all, and it has sounded so needlessly arcane that I haven't wanted to bother.

Knowing now that I'd probably lose money on it and it's a wasteful use of energy, probably won't.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Lone Goat posted:

Can you fetch a goblin enchantment with Goblin Matron.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

if it says goblin card and not goblin creature

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Yeah, it straight-up costs money to "mint" an NFT, there's a ton of people out there doing everything up to and including minting single color swatches and trying to claim copyright over specific colors, and all the art theft, and the part where the biggest proponents of NFTs are also pretty linked to nazis.

And that 99% of the "value" of NFTs is inflated through straw purchasing anyway. There aren't real people out there buying those massive value NFTs, they're people taking out huge crypto loans, using the funds to buy the NFT from themselves for half a trillion spitballs or whatever, and repaying the loan immediately having lost nothing on it, etc.

It's scams all the way down. Anyone who hasn't watched this really should:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQ_xWvX1n9g

Edit: Sorry, I mostly just wanted to point out that Guay isn't terrible like Bradley or Seb have turned out to be. Didn't mean to go full NFT derail here.

Nighthand fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Jan 31, 2022

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Lone Goat posted:

I get that, but why does it matter if forest becomes a creature type? If forest were a creature type, and I played engineered plague and chose forest as a creature type to give all forest creatures -1/-1, why would it matter except in cases where your forests also happened to be creatures? Also, all cards that I can think of that specify something like creature type also specify that the effect only happens to creatures where it would matter, so that that layer of security to prevent craziness is built in the card text themselves.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
idk about that but if a shrine was a creature type it'd be a massive boon to shrine decks since changelings and similar are a thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
The whole "attack alone" thing is pretty horrible outside of Limited, right? I can't really envision a Standard deck built around that working out, much less the evergreen formats.