Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 27 days!

BrianBoitano posted:

Seems very expensive, what would be the benefit over a Bellman? Looks nice and "does it all" but like Bionicle said earlier the unknown provenance.

Somebody send Hoffmann a link!

Would Hoffmann investigate the type of metal being used to address the concerns above(on the last page)? I haven't heard him talk about that kind of stuff but I've only watched some of his videos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
This might be a really stupid question but what about completely manual espresso machines makes them so expensive? I mean, I know the cheapest Flair is somewhere in the $150 USD range which probably qualifies, but it seems like a market someone could really blow up by coming up with something that's in the sub-$100 range. I guess the pressures necessary make the manufacturing tolerances too stringent to really cheap out on something?

I was just thinking about it because if I'm going to be dealing with a weird workflow anyway (boiling my group head, etc.), how much weird workflow stuff would I be willing to put up with if the machine was even cheaper?

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

The market would probably also literally blow up trying to make something cheap that can withstand 8 bars of pressure of boiling water

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Brut posted:

Would Hoffmann investigate the type of metal being used to address the concerns above(on the last page)? I haven't heard him talk about that kind of stuff but I've only watched some of his videos.

sounds like Hoffmann and the wired gourmet needs to do a collaboration

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

George H.W. oval office posted:

The market would probably also literally blow up trying to make something cheap that can withstand 8 bars of pressure of boiling water

Yeah, I kind of figured this was the issue, the Flair Neo is probably the cheapest we'll ever see I'm guessing.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

gb2 and burr upgrade on an old (~2010) virtuoso trip report: actually very simple to do. I think the shims in the old gearbox setup were actually substantially thinner, the older "thick" shim was visibly smaller. I'm running the 2.25mm setup for the burr that they recommended in the instructional video and the grind is way finer. It's a powder at 16 and gets up to fine sand at 20 or so. Still dialing it in, but I think it's shifted by 5-10 grind setting after doing the replacements.

Much more even grind, a lot less retained grounds, it's not making a goddamn mess everywhere when i remove the grounds bin, it's nice.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Woke up with a strange desire to eat coarse ground beans with milk a la grape nuts

Going back to bed, hope I wake up with more sense

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

BrianBoitano posted:

Woke up with a strange desire to eat coarse ground beans with milk a la grape nuts

Going back to bed, hope I wake up with more sense

Did you…do this?

I’m all about chocolate covered espresso beans but that’s as far down the rabbit hole I’ll go.

Argona
Feb 16, 2009

I don't want to go on living the boring life of a celestial forever.

The grinder came in and oh my god, it's night and day. No longer do I need to take like 5 minutes to use the blade, sieve, use the blade again, and get uneven grounds. I've had more coffee during the week than I have since college.

Mr. Bubbles
Jul 19, 2012
I haven't had the chance to post this to SA Mart but figured I'd drop a link here. I've got a lovely espresso setup that I am interested in selling. Any NC goons interested?

https://www.reddit.com/r/coffeeswap/comments/sdzeer/usa_nc_clt_h_lelit_anna_pl41tem_and_lelit_fred

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Mr. Bubbles posted:

I haven't had the chance to post this to SA Mart but figured I'd drop a link here. I've got a lovely espresso setup that I am interested in selling. Any NC goons interested?

https://www.reddit.com/r/coffeeswap/comments/sdzeer/usa_nc_clt_h_lelit_anna_pl41tem_and_lelit_fred

That’s a great deal. I’ve thought about the Lelit Anna with PID a bit but my Robots just too drat good.

Why are you going manual and what are you looking to get?

Mr. Bubbles
Jul 19, 2012

nwin posted:

That’s a great deal. I’ve thought about the Lelit Anna with PID a bit but my Robots just too drat good.

Why are you going manual and what are you looking to get?

I don't know really.. just interested in trying something different I guess. I was going to go with a manual grinder, maybe J-max, and a lever based machine. I've looked into the cafelat robot (that's what you're referring to?) but am leaning toward either the Flair 58/58x or the Flair Pro 2. I enjoy some milk based drinks too so I ordered a bellman stovetop steamer to experiment with.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Argona posted:

The grinder came in and oh my god, it's night and day. No longer do I need to take like 5 minutes to use the blade, sieve, use the blade again, and get uneven grounds. I've had more coffee during the week than I have since college.

Nice av/post synch.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape

Argona posted:

:sickos:

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Argona posted:

https://i.imgur.com/60ulyAq.mp4

RichterIX posted:

Yeah, I kind of figured this was the issue, the Flair Neo is probably the cheapest we'll ever see I'm guessing.

I would like some cheaper options for spring lever machines. The cheapest production machine I've found is the Elektra Microcasa at $1600. If we take the Europiccola as a baseline, it doesn't seem like it should take an extra $800 worth of material to make. I'd seriously consider something of questionable origins like the machine I posted earlier if there was a spring lever option. Thankfully the Odyssey OE-1 is being developed and here's hoping it works out.

That being said, it's hard to justify another machine when I've got a Robot.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

.Z. posted:

https://i.imgur.com/60ulyAq.mp4

I would like some cheaper options for spring lever machines. The cheapest production machine I've found is the Elektra Microcasa at $1600. If we take the Europiccola as a baseline, it doesn't seem like it should take an extra $800 worth of material to make. I'd seriously consider something of questionable origins like the machine I posted earlier if there was a spring lever option. Thankfully the Odyssey OE-1 is being developed and here's hoping it works out.

That being said, it's hard to justify another machine when I've got a Robot.

What’s the difference between a spring and manual lever? Like, with the manual in a la pavoni, you draw the water in and then you provide the necessary bars of pressure by pushing down on the handle, right? How is a spring different?

You and I seem to be in the same boat. I have a robot which I love and I mainly drink espresso. My wife is more into americanos than cappuccinos, so I have a nanofoamer on the rare occasion she wants a capp.

However I’ve seen the Odyssey Argos and wonder what I would gain, if anything. The robot is just so loving easy to pull shots from, but The odyssey seems really promising, but I’ll wait until production actually starts to see some reviews come in.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

nwin posted:

What’s the difference between a spring and manual lever? Like, with the manual in a la pavoni, you draw the water in and then you provide the necessary bars of pressure by pushing down on the handle, right? How is a spring different?

You and I seem to be in the same boat. I have a robot which I love and I mainly drink espresso. My wife is more into americanos than cappuccinos, so I have a nanofoamer on the rare occasion she wants a capp.

With a spring lever, you use the lever to compress the spring and the spring provides the necessary bars of pressure when you release the lever. Also, I stumbled across a spring lever machine more comparable to the La Pavoni in price, the Ponte Vecchio Export. But I would still prefer the OE-1 with the PID and pressure gauges, but I'll wait to see what the reviews are like as well.

Honestly I think my ideal would be a spring lever version of a Flair or Robot. A machine whose sole purpose is to provide a repeatable pressure profile, I just find something immensely appealing about the spring lever mechanism.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I want to buy a Mochamaster. Anyone know how long the coffee stays hot in the stainless steel thermos one or should I just get the one with the hot plate?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

mcmagic posted:

I want to buy a Mochamaster. Anyone know how long the coffee stays hot in the stainless steel thermos one or should I just get the one with the hot plate?

I’d say like 4-5 hours probably. I’m doing mostly espresso now but when is brew a full pot at 6 if I ever went back for more around 9 or 10 it was still plenty warm.

I had the glass one first but I thought I was going to break it while cleaning it, buuuut I’m kinda clumsy too.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

BrianBoitano posted:

That was exactly what I was looking for, thank you! Couldn't find a site that had both 3.5oz and 6.5oz in stock at the same time, so went with 3.5oz and "notify me" on the 6.5oz :)

Buying a big boy tamper to replace using the dosing cup too :homebrew:

Got this today and fuckin nailed it

In all seriousness, the cups are gorgeous except one blemish in one cup - a grey speck that stands out but not enough to return it and deal with the inherent waste there.

One great success - I was able to make a small amount of good foam with my nanofoamer, despite what my horrid pour technique might suggest. This is really tough since usually small amounts make a whirlpool that sucks air, but a combo of a narrow juice glass with a spoon to reduce the surface swirl got it. Still plenty of agitation under the surface to shrink bubbles but no new air introduced after stretching :)

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

nwin posted:

I’d say like 4-5 hours probably. I’m doing mostly espresso now but when is brew a full pot at 6 if I ever went back for more around 9 or 10 it was still plenty warm.

I had the glass one first but I thought I was going to break it while cleaning it, buuuut I’m kinda clumsy too.

I ended up getting the glass one. I wasn’t that much more cash.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

quick question, if one is to do that little wet spoon handle trick to reduce static, is it okay to do that in the same bin you catch the grinds in, or should one use another container to weigh the beans in?

Gunder
May 22, 2003

ulvir posted:

quick question, if one is to do that little wet spoon handle trick to reduce static, is it okay to do that in the same bin you catch the grinds in, or should one use another container to weigh the beans in?

Definitely don’t do it in the same container. Your grounds catch bin should be as dry as possible.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Gunder posted:

Definitely don’t do it in the same container. Your grounds catch bin should be as dry as possible.

that’s what I suspected, thanks

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

So Hoffman posted his ultimate moka pot technique and I'm crossing off the moka pot from my list. Way too finnicky and kind of wasteful IMO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfDLoIvb0w4

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Mu Zeta posted:

So Hoffman posted his ultimate moka pot technique and I'm crossing off the moka pot from my list. Way too finnicky and kind of wasteful IMO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfDLoIvb0w4

sounds like racism against Italians (one of the worst and most evident kinds of racism in today’s world, unfortunately)

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
I have a moka pot style brewer that I use very occasionally. I always make a mess trying to fill the basket and then I'm never super satisfied with the brew. I tried to follow James' technique on my gas stove but I don't own a heat diffuser and I couldn't get a steady brew at low flame.

After deciding to stop the brew I made an Americano of sorts and it was nice with some good mouth feel but 30 g of coffee does feel a little excessive when I can just do my pour over with 20 g or aeropress with 11g.

I think I'm gonna put the moka pot away again for another few months until I forget about my gripes.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

MetaJew posted:

I have a moka pot style brewer that I use very occasionally. I always make a mess trying to fill the basket and then I'm never super satisfied with the brew. I tried to follow James' technique on my gas stove but I don't own a heat diffuser and I couldn't get a steady brew at low flame.

After deciding to stop the brew I made an Americano of sorts and it was nice with some good mouth feel but 30 g of coffee does feel a little excessive when I can just do my pour over with 20 g or aeropress with 11g.

I think I'm gonna put the moka pot away again for another few months until I forget about my gripes.

If you have a coil stove the coils might need replacing. When I moved into my apartment 1/2 of them weren't heating properly.

I have a small 3 cup moka pot that I use pretty often and have gotten very good tasting coffee even without using some of the techniques Hoffman described. I just put the water in, put in my coffee, and put it on the stove at a little over the medium setting. When the coffee starts coming out fast, i'll lower the setting slightly, and then take it off the stove and pour it when it starts to sputter. My 3 cup uses anywhere from 17g-20g of coffee.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I'd got a 3 cup (come on, this is 1 small cup) moka pot because I wanted a shorter drink in the morning, it was ending up lovely and sour. After Hoffman's last video (contained all the same info as this one, just not in a clear process form) I managed to end up making a consistently good brew and now I'm really pleased with it. The main differences that I noticed were coming from the aeropress filter and turning the gas almost off as soon as it started brewing.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 27 days!
Ok I'm having trouble pulling the trigger on a JX-pro because $160 is a lot for a grinder but also it's only $40 away from the J-MAX which has even finer adjustment.

So my search for alternatives has led me to these Sozen Turkish coffee grinders, does anyone have experience of trying to use them or something similar for dialing in espresso? Is this a fool's errand?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Selling my kinu m47 phoenix. Goon price $160 shipped within the lower 48.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

MetaJew posted:

You can use a thick frying pan instead of a diffuser plate, it's not very energy efficient but it's worth trying to see if getting a heat diffuser for that specific purpose it is worth it. If it's cast iron or something make sure you get it good and warm first, it'll take forever to come up to brewing temp if you don't. Again, not very efficient energy-wise.

I tried JH's method and definitely got the best mokapot cup I've ever had, the whole process is just such a bitch though, all the way up to and including the cleanup.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
https://youtu.be/uwMPGEo4zCs

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

RichterIX posted:

You can use a thick frying pan instead of a diffuser plate, it's not very energy efficient but it's worth trying to see if getting a heat diffuser for that specific purpose it is worth it. If it's cast iron or something make sure you get it good and warm first, it'll take forever to come up to brewing temp if you don't. Again, not very efficient energy-wise.

I tried JH's method and definitely got the best mokapot cup I've ever had, the whole process is just such a bitch though, all the way up to and including the cleanup.

Yeah I had considered things like one of my cast iron pans but like you say it is sort of wasteful and definitely slower.

I will say my cup of coffee trying to implement James' method was good but I couldn't get the low flame just right and it felt like the brew kept stalling. Maybe I need to use a different burner in my stove since the flame size is not analog and instead changes in largeish steps.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I'm currently trying to redeem my moka pot as well. I was excited when Hoffman's video came out, but ultimately it seems like what I've already been doing. If anything I was probably being too conservative and not letting it go fast enough because I knew the high heat and sputtering were bad. Ultimately though, I feel like there's probably a reason this device is most popular in cultures where they also add a pastry-like amount of sugar to the brew. Not saying it can't make good coffee, but it seems like a lot of work with results that are very hard to control.

(Or maybe I'm just bitter because of the very bitter moka brew I'm drinking at this very moment)

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

I think I’ll stick to aeropress and V60. this seems way too fussy and temperamental to my liking

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Related to the moka pot, what do y'all use to funnel in grounds without making a mess? I always wind up spilling grounds all over my counter trying to pour from my Vario's grounds bin, and I know you're not supposed to tamp the coffee into the basket so I'm always hesitant to really start packing in the grounds too much with my finger to make more room when filling it.

I've tried just using the Aeropress funnel as a holder for the basket, but I don't have a second wide mouth funnel to then fill it.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

MetaJew posted:

Any recommendations on where to get cool light roasted interesting beans in the US?

I've been ordering from Proud Mary and Brandywine for the last several months.

There's a roaster in Austin, Third Coast Roasters that I've picked up beans from for a while, but their roasts tend to be a lot darker and not that complex. Although, they are very affordable by comparison.

We should just go get coffee at some point for the folks here in Austin. Figure 8, Onyx, Merit, Try Hard, and Tweed (which is what Houndstooth users) are all good for lighter roasts. At my local shop in south Austin we have Brandywine and Figure 8.

Currently enjoying Merit's Basha Bekele Ethiopian and that's been v. good as a pourover in a lighter roast.

Of course, Greater Goods deserves a strong mention. Their light roasts tend to be pretty good.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I remember staying at an AirBnB in Paris and fumbling with their moka pot and it was absolutely the worst coffee I ever had. So of course bought one from a goodwill and never used it in hope of making it work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

aldantefax posted:

We should just go get coffee at some point for the folks here in Austin. Figure 8, Onyx, Merit, Try Hard, and Tweed (which is what Houndstooth users) are all good for lighter roasts. At my local shop in south Austin we have Brandywine and Figure 8.

Currently enjoying Merit's Basha Bekele Ethiopian and that's been v. good as a pourover in a lighter roast.

Of course, Greater Goods deserves a strong mention. Their light roasts tend to be pretty good.

I picked up a bag the weekend I posted the question from Flat Track. It is goodish but nothing to write home about. I did pick up the bag from their "old coffee, 50% off" display but the roast date was literally a week old vs the display with bags roasted maybe two days ago. So, by no means old, and $11 vs $22 is great.

I can't say these flavors came through but it wasn't bad:
https://flattrackcoffee.com/products/nanochalla-ethiopiawashed-default?variant=29461471002718
Cup Characteristics: Honeysuckle, Lemon Meringue, Asian Pear

I think the best coffee I've ordered was a central American geisha from Brandywine. Whenever Brandywine sends out another 15% off coupon I may order another bag. That coffee as a pour over really did taste like a black tea and even my wife enjoyed it and she hates coffee.