Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

I never thought that "the Enterprise gets pulled over by the cops" FYAD flag would make it into a Star Wars show but here we are

oh nice a page snipe now I can go URNK URNK URNK awhile hoisting my space rifle over my head

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I don't have the mental energy to argue about the prequels or sequels anymore, there's stuff i like and hate in all of them. Also in my 30s I just gave up on caring what people think about what i like.

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

There are better ways to send them off. Perhaps Luke and Rey meet when they're pulled into some sort of strange Nexus and have to fight Darth McDowell.

This is basically the Xmas Lego special from a few years ago.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

BrianWilly posted:

Still, this then runs into what I've been recently calling the Doctor Strange Problem, where the dramatic confrontations between characters in a story don't actually end up having much to do with these characters' actual conflicts.

some good effort-posts on the previous page. I knew there was something off about the Doctor Strange movie because he had a good setup with the car wreck, but I couldn't put my finger on it

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Hakkesshu posted:

I don't really care about the sequels, we might as well burn the whole thing and forget they ever existed, but the jedi being absolute morons is key to the series.

It was key to the trilogy that everyone was clamoring for Disney to ignore until they made their own trilogy that was somehow even worse. I liked how The Mandalorian seemed like a rededication to making stuff in the tone of the good films while not relying too hard on stuff from the good films. The Mandalorian guy is cool because he has cool armor and does cool things, sure maybe there's an AT-ST here or there but it doesn't rely on you knowing that he's Paplan Varktu, the grandson of Grand Moff Fartso from the Nickelodean limited run series Star Wars: Adventure Babies. Like that's the poo poo we all hated from the prequel trilogy right?? Why are people now pretending its cool

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

perfect in every way

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
dang, those are cool. who made em?

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

galenanorth posted:

perfect in every way

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

That DICK! posted:

It was key to the trilogy that everyone was clamoring for Disney to ignore until they made their own trilogy that was somehow even worse. I liked how The Mandalorian seemed like a rededication to making stuff in the tone of the good films while not relying too hard on stuff from the good films. The Mandalorian guy is cool because he has cool armor and does cool things, sure maybe there's an AT-ST here or there but it doesn't rely on you knowing that he's Paplan Varktu, the grandson of Grand Moff Fartso from the Nickelodean limited run series Star Wars: Adventure Babies. Like that's the poo poo we all hated from the prequel trilogy right?? Why are people now pretending its cool

They are kind of cool because they let us understand that in a really perverse way, Shreev Palpatine was the villainous hero we needed during that time. Sure, he's an evil, power-mad sorcerer who surrounds himself with treacherous, cartoonishly evil subordinates, for the most part. And he knew he was the bad guy. He relished being the bad guy.

But he overthrough and replaced the Jedi, who were worse. If you look back 25,000 years technology in Star Wars isn't that different than it is in the current era. Why? Were the peoples of the Republic just unimaginative to the point of stupidity? No. Technological progress can create disruption and disorder. So if somebody had the idea for a gravity drive that would revolutionize transportation, he'd get blocked and stymied and eventually the Jedi might just burn the idea out of his brain to maintain order for the greater good of all.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Everyone posted:

But he overthrough and replaced the Jedi, who were worse. If you look back 25,000 years technology in Star Wars isn't that different than it is in the current era. Why? Were the peoples of the Republic just unimaginative to the point of stupidity? No. Technological progress can create disruption and disorder. So if somebody had the idea for a gravity drive that would revolutionize transportation, he'd get blocked and stymied and eventually the Jedi might just burn the idea out of his brain to maintain order for the greater good of all.

Wait a minute, that's Isaac Asimov, "The End of Eternity". What's your next idea, a series about Star Wars droid liberation?

Pyromancer fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Jan 31, 2022

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

site posted:

dang, those are cool. who made em?

https://www.instagram.com/dvglzv/

Looks like they do some cool MCU stuff as well

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy
Droids can’t be liberated they are literally just an appliance

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
What tech is the galaxy missing, wormhole travel?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
The Jedi being flawed and corrupt is a great start point backdrop for a Star Wars story, so long as the next step is then "Okay, so how do we learn from this instead of making those same mistakes again" and not "let's just harp on this over and over again without coming up with anything better forever."

site posted:

Proper prenatal healthcare, obvs.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010
That could just be polis Massans not knowing poo poo about human biology.

I don't think the Jedi manipulating things to keep technology stagnant has any basis, for a start there aren't enough Jedi to catch all the backyard inventors out there.

My own theory is that the Star Wars Galaxy is technogically stagnant because they've hit the limit of what they can do with their existing material science and grasp of physical laws. They can make refinements and higher and lower quality products, but they are at the limit of what they can do. The next "step" would be moving into direct manipulation of force energies to create technology that's interacts with those energies, but with so few force sensitives it's hard to advance that.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

site posted:

Artificial intelligence :v: cries in droid

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

BrianWilly posted:

The Jedi being flawed and corrupt is a great start point backdrop for a Star Wars story, so long as the next step is then "Okay, so how do we learn from this instead of making those same mistakes again" and not "let's just harp on this over and over again without coming up with anything better forever."

The KOTOR 2 approach. Trouble is that fixing the flaws of the Jedi and the understanding of The Force would completely demolish anything identifiable about Star Wars, which is why the final conclusion to that game is about embracing a personal understanding rather than completely upending the universe. Now if someone was ballsy enough to obliterate Star Wars and build a new Star Wars from the ashes I'd love to see it but nobody will do that.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
It was certainly an unrealistic desire, but I was hoping for the Book of Boba Fett to be like Godfather in Space or Galactic Goodfellas. I don't think it has been a bad show, but it's not quite the ruthless and exciting criminal scheming with lasers tale that I wanted.

Episode 5's Mandalorian story was great fun, but, like everyone else in the world has pointed out, that was basically an installment of the Mandalorian and not of the Book of Boba Fett.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

It's like they were writing an episode of Book Of Boba Fett and got to the part where Mando showed up with a sick new ride and got way too into explaining what he'd been up to, and just expanded from there.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Servetus posted:

That could just be polis Massans not knowing poo poo about human biology.

I don't think the Jedi manipulating things to keep technology stagnant has any basis, for a start there aren't enough Jedi to catch all the backyard inventors out there.

My own theory is that the Star Wars Galaxy is technogically stagnant because they've hit the limit of what they can do with their existing material science and grasp of physical laws. They can make refinements and higher and lower quality products, but they are at the limit of what they can do. The next "step" would be moving into direct manipulation of force energies to create technology that's interacts with those energies, but with so few force sensitives it's hard to advance that.

They don't have to catch all the backyard inventors - just prevent "disruptive" inventions from becoming widely known. And it wouldn't just be technology. Why is there still slavery in the Old Republic? Probably because attacking it would be too disruptive. The Jedi don't want to guide the galaxy into full development. They want to maintain a "peaceful" status quo no matter what.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Everyone posted:

A better opening to TRoS would have been Kylo listening to the Emperor nodding as needed and then when he got aboard one of the Dick-ISD, he uses to destroy Palpatine and his whole planet.

Holy poo poo, I never thought of that.

That would have been loving hilarious.

"Somehow the Emperor has returned"

BOOM!

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

That DICK! posted:

Because it loving is. It doesn't mean those movies are good, because they're not, but actually subverting the myths and making the jedi responsible for their own downfall is a great idea because it introduces the possibility of improving on how things used to be. If Anakin could just gently caress none of this poo poo would've happened. Also Mando is cool for lots of reasons, like showing how galactic society actually works on a day to day basis is something it does all the time and it rules, it's just way better at it than the prequels.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Jan 31, 2022

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

Everyone posted:

They don't have to catch all the backyard inventors - just prevent "disruptive" inventions from becoming widely known. And it wouldn't just be technology. Why is there still slavery in the Old Republic? Probably because attacking it would be too disruptive. The Jedi don't want to guide the galaxy into full development. They want to maintain a "peaceful" status quo no matter what.

The only slavery in the Republic is droid slavery, Tatooine was outside of Republic control and didn't even accept Republic money

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Servetus posted:

The only slavery in the Republic is droid slavery, Tatooine was outside of Republic control and didn't even accept Republic money

Clones are slaves

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010
Fair point. But that doesn't say anything about the status of slavery apart from the extreme situation of the clone wars. Padme is genuinely shocked at the existence of slavery in Tatooine in TPM, hardly consistent with slavery being normalized in the Republic.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

Everyone posted:

he's an evil, power-mad sorcerer who surrounds himself with treacherous, cartoonishly evil subordinates

But he overthrough and replaced the Jedi, who were worse.

Just draining the swamp, amiright?

The "for the most part" emperor built a moon that destroyed an entire planet. And planned to use it to blow up more.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Obviously the empire is worse, that’s not the point. The jedi still let it happen, and maybe the solution is to not do that again maybe.

Servetus posted:

Fair point. But that doesn't say anything about the status of slavery apart from the extreme situation of the clone wars. Padme is genuinely shocked at the existence of slavery in Tatooine in TPM, hardly consistent with slavery being normalized in the Republic.

It says something about how they consider slavery okay as long as the circumstances allow it. Ignoring the issue of whether or not droids are slaves because they will never actually address that.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010
Oh i don't disagree at all. The use of the clone army is failure of the ideals of both Jedi and Republic that brings both down.

I think the Tatooine situation is a little more complicated because the Jedi did turn themselves into agents of the government on Coruscant, and as such represent it. On the one hand fighting against slavery in the outer rim is an obvious moral good. On the other hand, how would we feel about a military officer just starting a war without any government approval? That's essentially what it would be if the Jedi drew the Republic into an invasion/liberation of the outer rim without senate approval

I suppose the obvious argument from that is that the Jedi should never have been part of the Republic, that they should have stayed lone wanderers or hermits to not be morally compromised.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Burning_Monk posted:

Just draining the swamp, amiright?

The "for the most part" emperor built a moon that destroyed an entire planet. And planned to use it to blow up more.

Figure one or two Imperial Star Destroyers could pound a planet hard enough to make it near-uninhabitable. For the price of the Death Star Palpatine could have had dozens if not hundreds more ISDs carrying thousand of TIEs and troops. Instead, he put his military budget into one big destructive egg that got turned into a Skywalker omelet at Yavin. At which point Shreev built another, bigger one that also got blown to buggery. My point was that Shreev removed the Jedi, which were an entrenched, oppressive force that would have been nigh-impossible for something like the Rebellion to remove and replaced it with himself, which was much easier for the Rebellion to remove because they did.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

I thought the main theory was that they never figured out transistors but miniaturized everything else. So they have advanced tech but weren’t ever able to make like smartphones and poo poo. Kind of halfway between us and that short story about ftl alien ships that are still in the age of sail and get shrecked by 80s MBTs.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Just stopping by to say, hot drat, The Mandalorian rules. Just watched the last three eps of season 2 tonight, that is some glorious stuff. That last ep is a religious TV experience, I can see why it has a 9.8 on IMDb. Just a full on dose of that good Star Wars stuff. Oh lord that's good TV.

I'll jump on into this Book of Boba shortly.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

TK-42-1 posted:

I thought the main theory was that they never figured out transistors but miniaturized everything else. So they have advanced tech but weren’t ever able to make like smartphones and poo poo. Kind of halfway between us and that short story about ftl alien ships that are still in the age of sail and get shrecked by 80s MBTs.

this sounds cool. what story is it?

Hellbore
Jan 25, 2012

Smythe posted:

this sounds cool. what story is it?

"The Road Not Taken" by Harry Turtledove

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Servetus posted:

There's an arc of The Clone Wars about a formerly powerful group of slavers who were brought down by the Jedi and who join the CIS because it is a way to regain their lost strength. None of the Republic/Jedi characters in it treat slavery as a normal thing.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
It is funny to me that TCW goes out of its way to have characters take down a big slavery empire to save a handfull of slaves, and always be very firm about slavery being bad and depict the slavers as very evil people who torture their slaves and force them to die for them and such while these same good guys are being supported by an army of expendable human slaves with obedience chips in their heads. And there was that early (I think?) ep where the villain of the ep was a clone that thought clones were being exploited/used as slaves (which they were).

Outside of TCW it was clear the jedi didnt give a gently caress about slavery from the moment qui-gon had the chance to save anakin's mom and used the force to make sure he didnt

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Bismuth posted:

It is funny to me that TCW goes out of its way to have characters take down a big slavery empire to save a handfull of slaves, and always be very firm about slavery being bad and depict the slavers as very evil people who torture their slaves and force them to die for them and such while these same good guys are being supported by an army of expendable human slaves with obedience chips in their heads. And there was that early (I think?) ep where the villain of the ep was a clone that thought clones were being exploited/used as slaves (which they were).

Outside of TCW it was clear the jedi didnt give a gently caress about slavery from the moment qui-gon had the chance to save anakin's mom and used the force to make sure he didnt

IIRC not long after that episode there's one where Baris (?) and Asohka have a conversation where they basically talk about how they only get to be "peacekeepers" when it's politically convenient and that being peacekeepers means "kill whoever the Republic points us at" rather than fighting injustice overall.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Bismuth posted:

And that's not counting all the droids as well...

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

Neo Rasa posted:

IIRC not long after that episode there's one where Baris (?) and Asohka have a conversation where they basically talk about how they only get to be "peacekeepers" when it's politically convenient and that being peacekeepers means "kill whoever the Republic points us at" rather than fighting injustice overall.

Yeah SW kinda gives passing shallow mentions of 'isnt being a child soldier hosed up' and then never really goes anywhere with it because the whole jedi system is based on stealing/coercing families to give up their infants to become child soldiers of a weird cult.

My friend and I watched that episode of TCW where the bird people hate jedi because they think they're baby stealers, and the show tries to act like the bird people are weirdos about that, but all we could think was "where theres smoke theres fire"

I kinda feel like if they're going to address "clones/droids are exploited slaves", "jedi steal children" and "padawans are child soldiers" maybe do it all the way, or dont do it at all, because making it just an offhand thing is weird. Like if they just never addressed these things at all i'd just chalk it up to just being dumb/short sighted in the way fantasy/sci-fi always is and not think too much about it

Anyway jawas in the old EU thing were rodents of some kind and I really want them to just be really cute under the hood, like you expect them to be gross weird little freaks but they're just like adorable mouse-goblins

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Holy poo poo, I never thought of that.

That would have been loving hilarious.

"Somehow the Emperor has returned"

BOOM!

The should have leaned into the whole Sith Clone thing and had like 8 Sheevs running around loving poo poo up. That would have been fun as poo poo.

Also don't make Rey his granddaughter, that's just dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Hellbore posted:

"The Road Not Taken" by Harry Turtledove

:tipshat: