Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

The Doctor's had flirtations with non-Gallifreyan women as far back as when the First Doctor accidentally got engaged in The Aztecs, and there was a slightly flirtatious nature to the Fifth Doctor's interactions with Doctor Todd in Kinda. And I'm pretty sure there was more than a hint of romantic interest between Five and Nyssa as well, given that (IIRC) she was the first companion to kiss him, during her final story (even if it was a rather chaste peck on the cheek).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Consider also how little we know of Gallifreyan biology, no telling which innocent touches or glances are actually sexually explicit actions. Rubbing a Ferengi's ears is pretty raunchy but you might never know if you're just a naive human. Doctor also has quite the psychic connection to the TARDIS, could be anytime someone steps in and out of that thing Doc gets a tickle.

Updog Scully
Apr 20, 2021

This post is accompanied by all the requisite visual and audio effects.

:blastback::woomy::blaster:
Probably better they don't have the Doctor date their companion, but if they were to do it, preferably they'd be dating a Gallifreyan rather than a human. The Prime Computer adverts show what it would probably look like, so you can make your judgements based off that. Maybe not Romana specifically, considering the... bad history there. If they introduced another Time Lord and the Doctor crushed on them, I'd be down for it, but an actual Tardis romance would quickly get exhausting.

Also, if Tennant comes back he'll be in his mid 50's during his second run. It wouldn't be the same. Nostalgics would be grimly reminded of the passage of time, and the creeping spectre of their oncoming graves. Probably best they avoid bringing him back, unless it's a cameo appearance. We are soon approaching the time that New Who Doctors end up like the classic Doctors, too old to reprise their roles.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
No reason to do romance or flirting if they won't go full penne anyhow. When the Doctor didn't even try to make a move on Lady Cassandra I knew forever this was a tease show and would never deliver.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Updog Scully posted:

Probably better they don't have the Doctor date their companion

The rare thing that all Doctor Who fans wouldshould agree on. :hai:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Tennant should come back as the new Rani.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

Yeah, if they really want Tennant back to pull in viewers, the best way to get away with it would be to pull a reverse Maxil and have Tennant not as the Doctor.

Sydney Bottocks posted:

The Doctor's had flirtations with non-Gallifreyan women as far back as when the First Doctor accidentally got engaged in The Aztecs, and there was a slightly flirtatious nature to the Fifth Doctor's interactions with Doctor Todd in Kinda. And I'm pretty sure there was more than a hint of romantic interest between Five and Nyssa as well, given that (IIRC) she was the first companion to kiss him, during her final story (even if it was a rather chaste peck on the cheek).

Nyssa would probably count as one of the "more cosmic" companions Khanstant was talking about anyway, to be fair.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.

Rhyno posted:

Tennant should come back as the new Rani.

Apparently the Pip and Jane Baker estate is really protective of the character for some reason, which is why Big Finish have used her so sparingly. Otherwise I'm sure we'd have had 'The Rani: TIME WAR' or something like that by now.

Remember when the default fan reaction was to assume a new mysterious reoccurring character was going to turn out to be The Rani?

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

OldMemes posted:

Apparently the Pip and Jane Baker estate is really protective of the character for some reason, which is why Big Finish have used her so sparingly. Otherwise I'm sure we'd have had 'The Rani: TIME WAR' or something like that by now.

Remember when the default fan reaction was to assume a new mysterious reoccurring character was going to turn out to be The Rani?

I remember when the Sarah Jane Adventures introduced a character NAMED Rani and it was not, in fact, The Rani.

vvvvv 0wned

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Except Rani from the Sarah Jane Adventures, who was clearly the Master.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Rich Johnston (of Bleeding Cool) swore to high heaven that he'd seen production work of Anthony Ainley morphing into Eddie Izzard waaaaay back before Ian Holm and John Simm were brought in. He later went scorched earth and deleted every post he'd made about it but a lot of people had seen it so he just looked silly.

But what made me think of that is they should take a page (literally) from the comics and have Tennant come back as the Valeyard.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
The Last Adventure was such a perfect ending to the Valeyard's story though. He's like Susan in the aspect that there's more stories that could be told, but doing so would ruin the mystery.

Edit: Trial of the Valeyard is also fantastic.

OldMemes fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Jan 26, 2022

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Bicyclops posted:

Clickbait articles love to lead with things like FANS CONFUSED OVER LATEST EPISODE - IS DOCTOR WHO SLIPPING? and HUGE RATINGS DROP FOR DOCTOR WHO!! without any kind of evidence for it. It's particularly loathsome because they already have the classic "[ACTOR] JUST CONFIRMED WHAT WE ALL EXPECTED ABOUT [OTHER ACTOR'S] ON SET BEHAVIOR!" that lets them lure people in (to what inevitably turns out to be some harmless "They were a pleasure to work with"), instead of inventing stuff.

I'm surprised that Who clickbait hasn't taken a cue from the Marvel stuff where they go CAPTAIN MARVEL RECAST - SHOCK REPLACEMENT and it turns out it's for three lines in an episode of a cartoon show. Big Finish would be a goldmine for them.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/bigfinish/status/1486484597470760963?s=20

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

As long as they put some of the good writers on this and get her a good companion this could be fun. Not that my opinion matters, it's been years since I listened to Big Finish because my commute got shorter. Plus they have like 600 Doctor Who lines now so their writing probably gets stretched a little thin.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Tonight's random story was The Mind Robber. Absolutely demented in the best way. Why hasn't THE KARKAS come back???

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The Mind Robber rules, especially for a serial that had a bunch of weird production issues. It's like a Jasper Fforde story.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Watched the classic Hartnell story The Romans the other day and that was so good. You could tell everybody was just having a great time doing that story, especially Hartnell.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The Doctor starting to write his way out of his problem in The Mind Robber, then realizing that doing so would be making himself part of the fiction and thus trapping him forever was :discourse:

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Watched the classic Hartnell story The Romans the other day and that was so good. You could tell everybody was just having a great time doing that story, especially Hartnell.

Hartnell laughing his rear end off as he beats the poo poo out of a would-be assassin was amazing :allears:

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Oh god, I just worked out that Hartnell was only a year older than I am now when the show started, and he was considered a doddering old man. :negative:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

From memory, Peter Capaldi was only a year younger in his first season than Hartnell was in his. Being in your 50s in the 1960s is quite different to being that age today!

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Jerusalem posted:

The Doctor starting to write his way out of his problem in The Mind Robber, then realizing that doing so would be making himself part of the fiction and thus trapping him forever was :discourse:

The entire story hung on Troughton playing it entirely straight, it really not have worked in almost any other era. Maybe Eccles.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

So like, big new who fan. Matt smith is my fav. Liked season 11 well enough. Jodis cool. 12 fell apart with timeless child, but master was fun.

I just watched flux and the special.

Wtf.

Seriously, wtf was all of that.

(New Years special was fine).

LionArcher fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Jan 29, 2022

Voting Floater
May 19, 2019

Jerusalem posted:

From memory, Peter Capaldi was only a year younger in his first season than Hartnell was in his. Being in your 50s in the 1960s is quite different to being that age today!

Hartnell was also styled to look older, and had something of a reputation for playing characters who were older than he actually was. If I remember rightly, his performance as an elderly character in This Sporting Life was part of what landed him the role as The Doctor.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

MrL_JaKiri posted:

The entire story hung on Troughton playing it entirely straight, it really not have worked in almost any other era. Maybe Eccles.

It's weird, but I think my first pick of new Doctor to replace Troughton in Mind Robber and pull it off would actually be Thirteen. I think Whittaker can pull of the serious bemusement and puzzlement that Troughton does so well better than any of the other new era Doctors.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
why don't they simply make the doctor a kind of vtuber or avatar entity they can rig to animate and never have to worry about who is "playing" the doctor

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Doctor VTube would be a perfect mix of toxicity.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

LionArcher posted:

So like, big new who fan. Matt smith is my fav. Liked season 11 well enough. Jodis cool. 12 fell apart with timeless child, but master was fun.

I just watched flux and the special.

Wtf.

Seriously, wtf was all of that.

(New Years special was fine).

I've been a fan of Who my entire life and you basically just speed-ran my experience of the show :allears:

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

Jerusalem posted:

I've been a fan of Who my entire life and you basically just speed-ran my experience of the show :allears:

Amazing how accurate this can be for so many of us.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

I stopped watching with the not-Amazon episode and basically cut myself off until Chibnall left. If I want the Doctor, there was plenty of Big Finish I hadn't heard (and wow, I've now heard a lot of it while waiting out Chibnall's tenure).

I'm probably going to watch through all of thirteen's run in one go, like pulling off a band-aide. It's be like going through the reconstructions; once I've done them once, I won't really feel a need to go back to them.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Random Stranger posted:

I stopped watching with the not-Amazon episode and basically cut myself off until Chibnall left.

The good news is that you have It Takes You Away to look forward to, which is a genuinely fantastic episode.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

As well as The Haunting of Villa Diodati, Demons of the Punjab, and all three of the New Years' specials. Probably some others that are escaping me right now.

With the exception of the Timeless Child, I wouldn't call Chibnall's run outright bad, just mediocre.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Oh yeah, there are good episodes for sure. It Takes You Away though I think is the pick of the litter, it's not just a great episode for the Chibnall run, it's a great episode purely in its own right and would stand up in any other era of the show.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I still liked Spyfall

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

A few issues aside I thought Part 1 was excellent, especially the cliffhanger. Part 2 kind of fell apart I thought, but I adore the "Wait a minute, you're supposed to be a good runner...." moment in part 1.

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

The secret of steel has always
carried with it a mystery.

I think out of Jodi's run I've found "The Tsuranga Conundrum" the worst just because I found it the most boring with no real villain other than a adipose like alien that eats everything. I need a good villain whether they're super scheming (Army of Ghosts or Day of the Moon) or just as much a victim of circumstance (Deep Breath or Girl in the Fireplace).

Jesus Christ, The Eleventh Hour was over a decade ago... Gettin old...

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

SecretOfSteel posted:

I think out of Jodi's run I've found "The Tsuranga Conundrum" the worst just because I found it the most boring with no real villain other than a adipose like alien that eats everything. I need a good villain whether they're super scheming (Army of Ghosts or Day of the Moon) or just as much a victim of circumstance (Deep Breath or Girl in the Fireplace).

Jesus Christ, The Eleventh Hour was over a decade ago... Gettin old...

Tsuranga is one of my faves from 13's era!

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
It's a creature feature where the creature is Stitch from Lilo and Stitch. It owns.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I think Kerblam! may be the story that.... well I don't know if I can say the worst. The most annoying? The most baffling? It was an episode I was really enjoying and thought was zipping along at a great pace and was a lot of fun and then.... the AI murders a completely innocent woman and the Doctor acts as if this proves it has real humanity and is a good person, then the terrorist achieves all their goals after suicide bombing himself and the Doctor explains that giant corporations are our friends? :psyduck:

Maybe the episode with the most potential that it didn't just squander but actively ruined with how it wrapped up?

Edit: I mean, the fact that Oxygen was made only one season before Kerblam! makes it all the more insane. God, Oxygen was a loving awesome episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

fractalairduct posted:

With the exception of the Timeless Child, I wouldn't call Chibnall's run outright bad, just mediocre.

That's my biggest problem with it. It's not bad, it's not good, it's just kinda...there, existing. No reason to remember most of the run :/