Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Calaveron posted:

That was implied in the original, too. One of Jessie's nine lines is her saying the explosion shouldn't have been that big with the amount of explosives she used

Jessie
Oops...
Hey, look at the news... What a blast.
Think it was all because of my bomb? But all I really did was just make it like the computer told me.
Oh no! I must've made a miscalculation somewhere.
Hey, that was my bomb's debut. Makes me kinda proud.

Absolutely no one before FFVIIR thought anything more than Jesse hosed up because she had no prior experience and was just reading the Anarchist Cookbook.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Twelve by Pies posted:

I'm fine with making Reno and Rude a little more sympathetic since we've already seen people talk about the stark contrast between the genocide from the plate dropping in the original and how we're supposed to see them as lovable goofballs in Advent Children. Having them object to it but feeling like they have to do it (since I'm sure President Shinra isn't going to respond well to any objections) works for that purpose.

The Turks are literally the kill squad for a megacorporation. Their redemption in FF7 has always rung as hollow and them just seeing the way the wind's blowing, at least in regards to their odds of coming out of a fight with Cloud and co in one piece.

ImpAtom posted:

They didn't really change much. In the original game Jessie says the explosion was larger than she expected and when she's dying she talks about how it's punishment for her actions. FF7R still has her willingly going for another bombing even after her 'mistake', it just provides context to her actions and makes her look a bit less inept.

It does soften the original Avalanche a bit but that was kind of inevitable as they have more lines of dialogue in the first ten minutes than they did in the entire original game.

The original's line comes across more as "we didn't actually know the extent of the damage we'd cause because we're winging it" to me. I call bullshit on anyone who says they always thought that Shinra did something more after the fact.

The remake's "you just set off what looks to be pounds of high explosives and nothing happened" change was dumb. Shooting a transformer with a gun can cause a powerplant to go haywire. Setting off a bomb in the plant, among the equipment, is going to royally gently caress it up at the very least.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Even aside from the softening of the bombing by putting more explicit blame on Shinra, there's also that bit where the other AVALANCHE cell comes in guns blazing and way more aggressive, to implicitly say 'see, Barrett's cell isn't so bad in comparison'.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cleretic posted:

Even aside from the softening of the bombing by putting more explicit blame on Shinra, there's also that bit where the other AVALANCHE cell comes in guns blazing and way more aggressive, to implicitly say 'see, Barrett's cell isn't so bad in comparison'.

The game says literally the opposite of that. Barrett's cell is considered the dangerous extremists. Like you literally hang out with some of them in Yuffie's DLC and they are like "Wow poo poo those other guys are CRAZY"

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Calaveron posted:

I really am curious how the Remake will attempt to redeem Rude and Reno after they completely destroyed that sector. I can't imagine they'll just go the OG way and wave it away because they helped you take at Wutai and didn't try to stop you at the end.

its going to be the OG way and its going to own

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

The game has Shinra explode the reactor because Pres is kinda the main villain now for longer than 2 hours (not really but you gotta think he is) so he has to do more stuff but it still feels kinda unnescessary because Avalanche still goes in to bomb the place and the outcome desired by the gang occurs although with worse ramifications. And its still followed up by Barret going "This is what needs to happen. Sucks but we gotta do it" and everyone agreeing except it also inspires Jessie to have a sidequest happen the next night so she can make a slightly less powerful bomb.

Just kinda weird. Don't think the gang even ever finds out Shinra worsened the explosion or if they do it's during the HQ infiltration and everyone has bigger fish to fry.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

i don't really think they pulled back with og 7 barret, iirc the scene with him and cait sith in disc 2 is basically just cait going "you killed a lotta people with that bombing" and barret goes "i was doing it before cause i wanted revenge, but now im working to ensure a better future for marlene" or smth like that??

i hope 7r keeps the turks goofing off

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The expansion of avalanche and the reconning of Wutai to still be an active enemy polity to shinra are both really weak. You lose the ragtag band of utterly outmatched and outclassed misfits fighting a hopeless war against an incomparably powerful and malevolent entity feeling. And then they replaced it with dumb timecop bullshit

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

ImpAtom posted:

The game says literally the opposite of that. Barrett's cell is considered the dangerous extremists. Like you literally hang out with some of them in Yuffie's DLC and they are like "Wow poo poo those other guys are CRAZY"

Well I haven't seen the Yuffie DLC, so that's a gap in my knowledge.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

imo wutai being a active angry political force is a neat twist on the original 7's being a demoralized bummed out tourist trap

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
The whole trip to Costa del Sol, and Costa del Sol is gonna be wild if they keep the ethos of wildly expanding the shorter setpieces but also keeping the goofy spirit of the original I tell you what

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gaius Marius posted:

The expansion of avalanche and the reconning of Wutai to still be an active enemy polity to shinra are both really weak. You lose the ragtag band of utterly outmatched and outclassed misfits fighting a hopeless war against an incomparably powerful and malevolent entity feeling. And then they replaced it with dumb timecop bullshit

I feel like you lost that when your level 7 protagonists punched the President in the face in the first 4 hours of the game.

Booky posted:

imo wutai being a active angry political force is a neat twist on the original 7's being a demoralized bummed out tourist trap

It's both! The Wutai forces are not like an organized army. Wutai is running under a puppet government and they're just rebels. Which makes more sense than "Literally one 16 year old girl is the only one fighting Shinra."

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

the changes to avalanche and wutai are good because they are still insignificant specks to shinra but are also more integrated into the plot and not something that stops mattering a couple of hours into the game or a side story you can miss

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

ImpAtom posted:

I feel like you lost that when your level 7 protagonists punched the President in the face in the first 4 hours of the game.

It's both! The Wutai forces are not like an organized army. Wutai is running under a puppet government and they're just rebels. Which makes more sense than "Literally one 16 year old girl is the only one fighting Shinra."

ah really? thats cool, kinda reminds me of ff2 or smth

man i wish 7r could go on the switch even tho i think thats impossible

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Booky posted:

ah really? thats cool, kinda reminds me of ff2 or smth

man i wish 7r could go on the switch even tho i think thats impossible

It runs real smooth and nice on a PS5 even when every single action you perform causes trillions of little particle effects to saturate the screen. I imagine the Switch could run it for half a second before melting into slag

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Calaveron posted:

The whole trip to Costa del Sol, and Costa del Sol is gonna be wild if they keep the ethos of wildly expanding the shorter setpieces but also keeping the goofy spirit of the original I tell you what

They better keep the part where Cessna is a real company that exists in the FFVII world.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Cleretic posted:

They better keep the part where Cessna is a real company that exists in the FFVII world.

Cup Noodle and Vivienne Westwood exist in the FFXV world so I don't see why not

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I would guess they at least keep the parade minigame, Hojo at the beach, Mr. Dolphin, and Barret's sailor suit.

The impaled snake might get remixed so they actually see Seph kill it, and/or you kill it, and/or there are many of them.

Chocobo Farm seems like it could go? Choco Sam is a thing now and presuming the world map is gone, chocobo breeding might not be needed or handled the same way (maybe tie it into a more comprehensive chocobo racing/management minigame).

I have optimism that Barret's whole throughline in Corel/Saucer/Dyne could be really solid with this version of the characters.

Cait Sith... who loving knows.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Cait Sith is in and will absolutely be playable.

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?
Cait Sith has been replaced by Iscar Matthias. Its appearance in FF7R was a fakeout.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I just mean, how well will he fare in the reimagining. Most characters so far have become a lot more memorable, but I just don't know what to expect from him in particular. I don't even have a voice for him in my head.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Disgustingly Scottish

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Gaius Marius posted:

Idk, they both kinda work for me.

I have a feeling FF7R's Wutai won't be too different from the original's presentation of it. The way FF7R handled Wutai made it come across like Shinra was just using them as a convenient boogeyman. "Be afraid, our secret police have discovered proof that the tiny country on the other side of the planet is just three months away from developing a materia of mass destruction."

FF7R Avalanche being a larger resistance group doesn't feel like too much of a stretch compared to FF7 Avalanche just being Barret's crew, either, since they're the same type of scrappy guerillas on the whole.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Calaveron posted:

Junon is my favorite city in FFVIIR, so even if they cut off the next game at Nibelheim or something (assuming it doesn't just go completely off the rails and still has a similar travel structure) the fact that its gonna be the biggest city has me extremely hyped. I cannot wait to play some kind of fishing minigame to help local fishermen somehow and then have a complicated QTE to do the marching sequence

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

they will keep all the silly things in the remake and make it even sillier just as they did in the final fantasy 7 remake part 1

16-bit Butt-Head fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Jan 31, 2022

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Wolfsheim posted:

Junon is my favorite city in FFVIIR, so even if they cut off the next game at Nibelheim or something (assuming it doesn't just go completely off the rails and still has a similar travel structure) the fact that its gonna be the biggest city has me extremely hyped. I cannot wait to play some kind of fishing minigame to help local fishermen somehow and then have a complicated QTE to do the marching sequence

What's it look like in VIIR?

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I hosed up and added an R! gently caress!

While I was playing FFVIIR today it made me wonder how they're gonna do Vincent's moveset in the new combat system and I almost wonder if it will be kinda bad in the same way it is in the original

I was pleasantly surprised by how well Barret feels to play, his little solo mission was surprisingly good

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Wolfsheim posted:

I hosed up and added an R! gently caress!

While I was playing FFVIIR today it made me wonder how they're gonna do Vincent's moveset in the new combat system and I almost wonder if it will be kinda bad in the same way it is in the original

I was pleasantly surprised by how well Barret feels to play, his little solo mission was surprisingly good

If I had to do Vincent what I'd do is have his skills build up a meter and once it is full he can temporarily transform, with each transformation being tied to certain special attacks and filling a different role.

Death Gigas is tanky, Galian Beast is magic-oriented and Hellmasker is physical. Chaos is his limit break which is a more powerful transformation. He's the kind of character who needs to build up but once he does can be really strong.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Wolfsheim posted:

Probably make him a ranged attacker who builds up ATB to enter limited-time transformation modes that do more damage and have better ATB skills to compensate for the initial cost of spending an ATB to transform

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

vincent will turn into a monster you cannot control who casts beneficial spells on your opponent

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Cleretic posted:

Also Korea is a real country and you can get their bbq

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Korea is a real country in VII the same way South America is a real continent in Pokemon.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Also Korea is a real country and you can get their bbq

Texas too

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

jokes posted:

Texas too

So you're saying the western wear mods will be lore accurate?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Zil posted:

So you're saying the western wear mods will be lore accurate?

All FF7 mods are canon, actually

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

jokes posted:

Texas too

Also Jesus

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Could Jesus beat Jenova?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

No.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Zil posted:

Could Jesus beat Jenova?

Alexander can defeat Jenova ergo Jesus, who is Alexander's pilot, can.