Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

HackensackBackpack posted:

Satellite images of the protest. https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/see-satellite-imagery-of-the-freedom-rally-protest-in-ottawa-1.5760510

Big crowds. Huge. Half a million, no, 1.4 million, no 3 million people. Biggest ever demonstration on Parliament Hill. No, biggest ever in Canada! NO, biggest ever in the WORLD!

Looks like one of those pictures of penguin colonies that they can identify from space 'cause there's poo poo everywhere

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenDoodle
Oct 22, 2020

gently caress fascism!

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Testikles posted:

Over/under on everybody getting bored Monday night and leaving?

I assumed the protest was just for the weekend.

Not gonna lie hope they run out of gas or some poo poo and get their dumb poo poo trucks stranded.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Their stated intent is to blockade Ottawa until Trudeau gives into their demands.

Some of them might go back for the weekend but if they were true believers they are staying.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Unconfirmed but they may have killed someone

https://mobile.twitter.com/seganwad/status/1487843400648998914

Oxyclean posted:

I assumed the protest was just for the weekend.

Not gonna lie hope they run out of gas or some poo poo and get their dumb poo poo trucks stranded.

This actually happened with United We Roll because the campaign organisers (many of whom are also handling the donations here) ran off with the money.

Sadly the money going to these idiots is the better outcome because the campaign would use it to push fascism politically.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Lol this is pretty funny though:

https://mobile.twitter.com/MattGrierMusic/status/1487873826301956097

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

https://twitter.com/OttawaPolice/status/1487947793696235522?s=20&t=Z2SVAXhnTda_86PrhGwbcw
bet a lot of people wish police would avoid instigation confrontations when it comes to traffic stops.

It sure is frustrating that we get de-escalation and confrontation avoidance when it's a bunch of angry white dudes, but not when it's basically anything else.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

CBC reporter said it they checked with people who should be in the know and none of them had heard a word of it

https://mobile.twitter.com/shaaminiwhy/status/1487843239709261828

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

flakeloaf posted:

CBC reporter said it they checked with people who should be in the know and none of them had heard a word of it

https://mobile.twitter.com/shaaminiwhy/status/1487843239709261828

Yeah I'm totally ok with calling this a pot-stirring fabrication until there's some kind of official word on it. I'm immediately skeptical of anything that starts with "from a friend of mine".

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

thunderspanks posted:

Yeah I'm totally ok with calling this a pot-stirring fabrication until there's some kind of official word on it. I'm immediately skeptical of anything that starts with "from a friend of mine".
We live in a reality where one of the best, most reliable, and broad based sources of knowledge available is "The Pig Balls website"

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Vintersorg posted:

Drive thrus are open tho
one does not simply drive through downtown Ottawa

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

There’s a big Alberta clipper coming thru tomorrow evening so they can have fun going home thru that.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

thunderspanks posted:

Also if it was true, then the person tweeting could have gotten their paramedic friend fired and/or sued for breach of confidentiality.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Oxyclean posted:

https://twitter.com/OttawaPolice/status/1487947793696235522?s=20&t=Z2SVAXhnTda_86PrhGwbcw
bet a lot of people wish police would avoid instigation confrontations when it comes to traffic stops.

It sure is frustrating that we get de-escalation and confrontation avoidance when it's a bunch of angry white dudes, but not when it's basically anything else.

In 2020, the cops arrested 13 people who had set up a tent at a downtown intersection as a climate protest. They went in in the middle of the night, tore down the tent and charged everyone except a minor who was there with mischief. Said it was because of "major traffic disruptions" and "concerns for public safety."

Meanwhile, there are dozens of streets blocked off and practically inaccessible for going on three days now. There are apparently "several criminal investigations" now related to this thing. There's the constant horn honking for upwards of 18 to 20 hours straight each day, big crowds of people just flouting not even Covid rules, but basic city laws, and the cops are like, "Well, we don't want to anger these folks, you know."

They said this is costing them $800,000 a day. For what? They've arrested ONE person.

God, and I bet they'll use these protest costs as justification for an increased budget ask next year too.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

They said this is costing them $800,000 a day. For what? They've arrested ONE person.

I’m assuming a lot of vacation pay so their officers can attend as civilians and OT to cover the shifts.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Clear two square kilometres of roadway and provoke a fight with ten thousand people, without turning them into pariahs and getting a lot of people on both sides hurt and turning the area into giant icy flaming mess?

Nah. Take pictures, run plates, get names, find out where they live and send local cops out to get them, only to find out they won't do that because they are themselves chuds, and in the meantime, everyone who lives nearby that can't pass for alt-right gets to hide inside and hope the mob doesn't see them :aces:

Basically all of the OPS budget is payroll, and they're wildly undermanned for a city this size. Paid duty's fuckin expensive.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Going to the world cup

Eat poo poo america

Edit: My favourite thing about the Canadian team is the keeper is basically Your Dad In Sweatpants

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

flakeloaf posted:

Clear two square kilometres of roadway and provoke a fight with ten thousand people, without turning them into pariahs and getting a lot of people on both sides hurt and turning the area into giant icy flaming mess?

Nah. Take pictures, run plates, get names, find out where they live and send local cops out to get them, only to find out they won't do that because they are themselves chuds, and in the meantime, everyone who lives nearby that can't pass for alt-right gets to hide inside and hope the mob doesn't see them :aces:

Basically all of the OPS budget is payroll, and they're wildly undermanned for a city this size. Paid duty's fuckin expensive.

You're right and sorry if I came off a bit hot there. It's been a stressful weekend and I am in favour of police de-escalating and not resorting to cracking skulls with plated gloves. I just have to wonder if these people just get the run of downtown for as long as they want. I don't want to see a giant fight. I don't want to see cops beating people up or anything like that. But this is barely a coherent protest at this point, it's just noise.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Squads of non-Toronto police cleared all of Queen's Park followed by a huge chunk of downtown at G20, but it's a bit different when your protest tourists have a bunch of semi trailers and right-wing politics.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Jan 31, 2022

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Oh no your question was absolutely valid, and it's extremely frustrating to get so quickly to the correct conclusion when you see cops stomping down poor, Indigenous and Black protesters for having the temerity to demand dignity, but keeping their distance and making custom infographics when the scrotes happen to be white, small-c-conservative voters who've been actively making everyone's lives loving miserable in open defiance of dozens of public order laws.

I am unshakably opposed to the use of firefighting equipment in support of police violence, but you can't deny that a few thousand GPM of water into the crowd would calm those boneheads down right quick

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

You're right and sorry if I came off a bit hot there. It's been a stressful weekend and I am in favour of police de-escalating and not resorting to cracking skulls with plated gloves. I just have to wonder if these people just get the run of downtown for as long as they want. I don't want to see a giant fight. I don't want to see cops beating people up or anything like that. But this is barely a coherent protest at this point, it's just noise.

For the same reason that the COVID mandates are going to end regardless of whatever this dumb convoy did or does, downtown will be cleared because it’s interrupting capital.

It’s Ottawa though, so it may not be that quick, there’s only so much capital.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
No one has worked in downtown Ottawa for almost two years. This could go on for a while.

flakeloaf posted:

I am unshakably opposed to the use of firefighting equipment in support of police violence, but you can't deny that a few thousand GPM of water into the crowd would calm those boneheads down right quick
That's still much better than the converse: bringing in some rural RCMP and telling them the convoy is a fire station.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Shumagorath posted:

That's still much better than the converse: bringing in some teslas and telling them the convoy is a fire truck.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Shumagorath posted:

That's still much better than the converse: bringing in some rural RCMP and telling them the convoy is a fire station.

Holy poo poo

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

I live a couple blocks down from Shepherds and yeah it's been a real shitfest on King Edward. We've mostly just been staying in but we went to Dow's Lake yesterday for some canal skating and it's just very frustrating.
Politicians and law will jump on cracking down on indigenous protesters or climate protesters that cause any inconvenience but oh, we don't want to upset anyone when they're blockading 2/3rds of the lanes on major roads, parking wherever they want, blasting train horns throughout the night, etc.

Like suddenly now they're very concerned about provoking a riot.

Anyway, the main problem here is that these absolute dumbfucks don't even know why they're here and are just getting hardcore grifted by the organizers. Almost nothing they're asking for has anything to even do with the federal government or Trudeau. They convoyed with absolutely no plan in place and they continue to have no plan. These people showed up and had no idea where they were going to park or sleep, how they would get food or gas, or survive the nights at negative 20s and below. The limit of their thinking was "show up and block stuff, honk horns, gently caress trudeau".

I don't think the vast majority of them even care about the supposed demands or anything. They just hate Trudeau and wanted to be part of an in-group party to go somewhere and make a lot of noise and wave signs around. Almost no one involved is seriously dedicated to any kind of cause or goal.

Basically, this ain't no march from Selma to Montgomery.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Fidelitious posted:

Basically, this ain't no march from Selma to Montgomery.

A couple of years ago, some Q Anon guy came to town with a couple hundred people and marched from the Hill to the U.S. Embassy (which was closed because it was Canada Day) to deliver a document demanding Trump arrest Trudeau for child trafficking under the CUSMA trade agreement because :shrug: It was insane and pointless (he also went to the Mexican embassy with the same document and asked the woman at the counter to deliver it to "President Maduro") but it was at least a semblance of a plan.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Epilogue:

https://twitter.com/coachbull8/status/1488178195165757440

e:

flakeloaf fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Jan 31, 2022

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

CTV reporting the death in ambulance story is false.

https://twitter.com/ColtonPraill/status/1488185015750074374

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
I went undercover to the Vancouver one in my useful idiot fascist disguise (I'm sorry you had to become this, red team Canada hat, I loved you)... And holy poo poo, these people are dumb as gently caress.

It's just repeating the same dumb slogans over and over. And weirdly... 99% all white people. Guess the nazi flags kind of turned off the ethnics.

I was unable to snag one of the nazi or snek ones to burn them, but I did get a bunch of Canada ones. My flags now you dumb motherfuckers. One on an actually decent hockey stick. Which is also mine now.

You gonna leave your car and chase me? Didn't think so.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011
The protestors don't seem to have a clear ask. They're behaving obnoxiously. And yet, I find myself taking their side (apparently) on the point of their protests being non-violent. Which is apparently a controversy that needed to be reported.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/calling-ottawa-protests-peaceful-downplays-non-violent-dangers-critics-say-1.5760990

quote:

"By what common understanding of the term does what we are seeing on the ground, on TV, in our social media feeds qualify as 'peaceful protest?"' he wrote. "Is it merely the absence of physical violence and injury? That's not unimportant but is insufficient as a definitional threshold."

They haven't beaten anyone up. Or apparently threatened anyone. Claiming that their protests have not been peaceful, or even have been violent, seems like a trap wherein all protests will be considered violent and not peaceful.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Maneck posted:

They haven't beaten anyone up. Or apparently threatened anyone.

Except for all the people they've threatened

e: and the people they've assaulted

flakeloaf fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jan 31, 2022

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011
Hadn't heard about threats of violence. That is not okay.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

That's ok it's about time someone other than the media, official federal opposition party, provincial premiers, and the local police stood up for these oppressed white protestors.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
Lol I loving had to peace out when enough people figured out who I was, even after a costume change mid way, and they started getting a group together. You never go beyond 1 on 1.

It's fascists and useful idiots. Violence is their language.

The Butcher fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jan 31, 2022

ChickenDoodle
Oct 22, 2020

Openly waving the Nazi flag should be a threat of violence, because it is. It’s threatening Jews, homosexuals, and any other non-Aryan with extermination.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

The irony is that that story did the same thing that posts about 50,000 trucks on the other side did. People are so hyped up they are just hitting share.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Maneck posted:

The protestors don't seem to have a clear ask. They're behaving obnoxiously. And yet, I find myself taking their side (apparently) on the point of their protests being non-violent. Which is apparently a controversy that needed to be reported.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/calling-ottawa-protests-peaceful-downplays-non-violent-dangers-critics-say-1.5760990

They haven't beaten anyone up. Or apparently threatened anyone. Claiming that their protests have not been peaceful, or even have been violent, seems like a trap wherein all protests will be considered violent and not peaceful.

What the gently caress is the post, source your quotes

ChickenDoodle
Oct 22, 2020

Oh, lmao, so much for just being a good excuse to get out of town.

https://twitter.com/ctvottawa/status/1488164883917123592?s=21

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

ChickenDoodle posted:

Openly waving the Nazi flag should be a threat of violence, because it is. It’s threatening Jews, homosexuals, and any other non-Aryan with extermination.

Yeah I feel any use of that flag outside of a museum or film context should violate our Hate Speech laws. Also if I ever see one I am taking it and burning it at first opportunity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

flakeloaf fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Sep 2, 2022