Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Hitmen for Destiny #430: Conceding competitiveness

=======================

Hitmen for Destiny #431: Lying liar

=======================

Hitmen for Destiny #432: Heartfelt hope

Bodycount: 174 179
+ Louis Moss
+ 3 Slyrgor & host

Son of Thunderbeast has a new favorite as of 00:18 on Jan 31, 2022

e-dt
Sep 16, 2019

now pat is all trashy

i guess everybody's got a weird past

da da da by Trio

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Hitmen for Destiny #430: Conceding competitiveness

=======================

Hitmen for Destiny #431: Lying liar

=======================

Hitmen for Destiny #432: Heartfelt hope

Bodycount: 174 176
+ Louis Moss
+ Possession worms (I'm treating them as a collective for the bodycount)

These worms where clearly distinct beings and not just a simple hivemind. They had names and all.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

cant cook creole bream posted:

These worms where clearly distinct beings and not just a simple hivemind. They had names and all.

Fine, fine! I'm only counting the ones we see though, so that's +3 for the worms instead of +1 for the collective. Also a +1 for the host who can be presumed to be alive

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

cant cook creole bream posted:

We didn't see the worms die though. Only the host.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
PYF Comic - I remember you kissing dudes earlier. Guess you can live.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

I also set up a form for votes

https://forms.gle/3T5CzYrUm4pyVLai9

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman
I think it is reasonable to presume they can't survive outside the host or transfer hosts, as they were waiting for eggs instead of immediately infecting her.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Another split chapter

Pinocchio
Chapter 24.1

Pinocchio reaches the Island of the Busy Bees and finds the Fairy once more.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
That dolphin takes being repeatedly called a fish really well. I think I'd be insulted. Similarly I wonder why it went from shark (or dogfish) to a whale in the Disney version.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
He’s afraid the shark is lurking in the woods. Ok.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

The thrilling conclusion of the Thorsby Text. Up first: the behavioral question:

Next, the evidence (see citations below comic)

Thorsby's works cited:

A paper saying gay men have more gay male relatives on the mother’s side of the family: https://science.sciencemag.org/content/261/5119/321

A paper saying female relatives of gay men have more children than average: [url] https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1691850/[/url]

An article in the New Scientist about the aforementioned paper:
https://www.newscientist.com/article/dn6519-survival-of-genetic-homosexual-traits-explained/

Wikipedia article about how having more older brothers increases the chance of a man being gay: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fraternal_birth_order_and_male_sexual_orientation

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I'm not quite sure how to feel about knowing that this version of Pinocchio has a butt

Mafic Rhyolite
Nov 7, 2020

by Hand Knit

Captain Hygiene posted:

I'm not quite sure how to feel about knowing that this version of Pinocchio has a butt

The inimitable KC Green often demonstrates that drawing a butt is always funny

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

I appreciate the artist's restraint here

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Guess she could find someone fatter and sweatier and more of a pushover than Ronnie, but not someone hairier. Just feels like she is settling here.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

CPColin posted:

I appreciate the artist's restraint here

I respect this author. For one thing, they generally don't belabor a joke.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

projecthalaxy posted:

Wikipedia article about how having more older brothers increases the chance of a man being gay: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fraternal_birth_order_and_male_sexual_orientation
Blanchard is a hack

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I like that Bruno is also generally worse put together than Ronnie.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

It's been a day or two and my brain still can't wrap itself around how the supposed genetics of being gay are all about GAY CAVEMAN UNCLES.

Also, I'm decidedly straight and an only child, so the science checks out!

Fagtastic
Apr 9, 2009

I may have sucked robodick, fucked a robot in the exhaust, been fucked by robots & enjoy it to the exclusion of human partners; at least I'm not a goddamn :roboluv:

Ellie Trashcakes posted:

Blanchard is a hack

That may be so but the fraternal birth order effect is pretty well replicated and quite robust. It's pretty definitely real, though it only accounts for like 30% of gay men, tops, so there's more to the picture.

I mean, we have pretty good evidence that being gay is something your born with, that can't be deliberately caused or undone by social effects, so there's no reason not to expect a biological underpinning as far as I can see. Thorsbys working with the evidence we have.

But none of that means the gay caveman uncle theory is good. Genetics just doesn't work the way he thinks it does. Which isn't really his fault because that's how it's taught at school/first year/pop science level.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Fagtastic posted:

But none of that means the gay caveman uncle theory is good.

It's fun though.

I demand a Gay Caveman Uncle adventure comic.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Fagtastic posted:

That may be so but the fraternal birth order effect is pretty well replicated and quite robust. It's pretty definitely real, though it only accounts for like 30% of gay men, tops, so there's more to the picture.

What about the bottoms?

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
I'm a switch where does that fall in the gay uncle theory?

e: Wrong kind of bottom.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I'm strange, or possibly charmed.

Edit: wrong kind of bottom

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

relax guys, this is an accepting place- no such thing as a 'wrong kind' of bottom.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
I'm Nadia Om, demiurge and lord of infinity

E: wrong kind of Mottom

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Wrong kind of mutton? :barf:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

RFC2324 posted:

Gonna go out on a limb and say thorsby got one thing correct.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

im no gay caveman im a lesbian cro-magnon

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Fagtastic posted:

Try 15-30%. Which means that for every 3 people to whom the pattern applies (at best) there are 7 (at best) to whom it does not.

Granted I have a bit of a beef with Blanchard, but it seems like his two greatest loves are pathologizing things and Ray Blanchard getting headlines and citations.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I'm mostly blown away that a take attempting to derive homosexuality from evopsych and with an opening line of "let's assume it's not a false stereotype, nor a cultural effect" manages to come off as entirely non-malicious and simply curious.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I'm mostly blown away that a take attempting to derive homosexuality from evopsych and with an opening line of "let's assume it's not a false stereotype, nor a cultural effect" manages to come off as entirely non-malicious and simply curious.

Thorsby seems like of those dudes with a mind so open it's leaking out of his ears

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Soon, we will learn more about Finnish

Today's Fingerpori got a :lol: out of me:

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

I searched for Finnish pre-history and got this kickass stone axe head:

It was a good search today.

E:vvvv- it was a good comic.

By popular demand has a new favorite as of 08:45 on Jan 31, 2022

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

By popular demand posted:

I demand a Gay Caveman Uncle adventure comic.

okay here you go

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

'Otherwise I will not be able to warn her not to step on the landmine and that will significantly increase the probability that she will step on the landmine' is such a loving incredibly hilarious convoluted and redundant sentence that Thorsby seems to excel at.