Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Oh god I looked at his Tiktok and he made this one about how being a straight guy in a queer space is like being a "good orc" and I want to loving die

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7057177053648538927

Just casually and accidentally comparing queer people to ugly evil monsters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.

Twelve by Pies posted:

Just casually and accidentally comparing queer people to ugly evil monsters.

Not to defend him for being gross but he was actually comparing cis heteros to orcs. It’s just he uses his little skit to say a really degrading thing about bisexual women but projects that onto his imagined dumb ally, failing to understand that this implies he would be that inappropriate himself in that setting.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Not all orcs

MiracleFlare
Mar 27, 2012
I'm not sure the guy whose most infamous moment was a "sometimes CSA can be justified" story about orcs should ever be using orcs as a comparison point for any IRL issues

I don't want to assume anything about Mookie's orientation (I know firsthand it can take a while to figure out, and there's an unfortunate pattern of "you're not a real X" online that I want to avoid) but drat this reminds me of his prior ham-fisted attempts at allyship, like when he'd put gratuitous focus on homophobic slurs and violent racist imagery but try to justify it because it's the bad guys who are doing all that stuff. Obviously depiction of something isn't necessarily endorsement of it, but when you're not of the targeted group you have to be careful about how it's depicted in the story, especially if its main purpose is motivating the white cishet protagonists into protecting the oppressed. Going back to the vid, it really sticks out to me that he has to frame it like a fantasy story. It's like people who try to compare scummy politicians to Voldemort and themselves to the Order of the Phoenix - and much like invoking HP in this day and age, invoking the All Orcs Are Chaotic Evil Except For The Token Good One trope comes with its own set of problems given how often orcs have been used as a representative of nonwhite races.

Anyway I love that the orc tiddies are one of the few things of the chandak that are in focus, and while I suppose one could draw a dick like that I don't think the implications are what Mookie intended. Maybe the dream ocean is cold.

i don't really get why the chandak, who thus far has only been a one night stand and hasn't even been given a name, is such an important figure in this dream or why she's reiterating information to Snout that he could've easily concluded on his own. I feel like a vision brought on by reading Dominic's pretentious dribble would've made more sense to conclude with a vision of him and/or Luna, or something they had experienced in relation to the dream realm. edit: Like, I dunno, have it be Luna who carries him out of the water, maybe with some imagery confirming that she is the Luna, fabled Watercaller, and he wakes up wondering why this sacred figure in orcish lore is a human woman and if the Luna that Dominic was married to was named after her or if she was the same person. Then he can decide on his own that he needs to investigate further, instead of having someone spell it out for him.

MiracleFlare fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Jan 29, 2022

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Oh god I looked at his Tiktok and he made this one about how being a straight guy in a queer space is like being a "good orc" and I want to loving die

what the gently caress was that last bit
excuse me??

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Nevermind his stupid gross joke at the end, it's an extremely egocentric viewpoint too. Comparing being straight in a queer group to having to face bigotry (and then trying to cover it by self-flagellating and saying "and that's ok we really deserve it!") is really disgusting. It's a really inappropriate attempt to claim victimhood hiding behind a thin layer of bad humour. The pervy joke at the end is almost a distraction to pull your attention away from that and towards mookie's exaggerated role playing of bad '90s anime clichés.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

look at me i'm such a good ally

biphobia as a punchline lol!! LOL !!!

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Studying the works of artists like Moebius is generally a good idea, that's what I'd do if I wanted to learn figure drawing.

Dalris Othaine
Oct 14, 2013

I think, therefore I am inevitable.

super sweet best pal posted:

Studying the works of artists like Moebius is generally a good idea, that's what I'd do if I wanted to learn figure drawing.

Stwhudy? L...eaarn? What are these odd words you say, outlander?

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

Yeah, nothing wrong with copying the work of a pro as an exercise to train your drawing muscles, but I think just sitting down and spending even a single week learning the fundamentals of drawing construction would really go a long way.

Of course I don't think he's genuinely interested in learning to draw, and at this point the lazy art isn't even the most egregious thing here, it's that Mookie can generate one idea a week (on a good week) and each one is worse and more confusing than the last.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
I know it's a controversial take in this thread, and I hesitate to give Mookie the benefit of the doubt after that revolting tiktok, but I actually do think he wants to be better at art, just not comics specifically. Comics are just a vehicle to get his "genius ideas" out into the world, and he hates the actual grueling work it takes to put a comic together, especially by yourself. I bet he loves these open concept panel layouts so much because even just having to draw within the confines of a panel feels stifling.

But I do get the impression he enjoys making art and wants to be as good as his inspirations are. However I don't think he's at the point where he enjoys the hours of studying and practice you've gotta put in to get there, if he's even consciously aware that that's something you have to do to create art like Moebius. Maybe I'm just projecting since I remember being a teen/early 20-something and being frustrated about my art not being at the level I wanted but not realizing that getting there would take learning and re-learning the not as fun basic concepts. Him looking at the Moebius piece and trying to recreate it without sloppily tracing it is genuinely a good first step in putting more thought into his work and maybe the first unironic positive feeling Mookie's art has ever made me feel.

Anyways, I feel like that embarrassing and frankly offensive tiktok warrants a bit more relentless mocking

Obnoxipus
Apr 4, 2011
if mookie wants to be a good ally, he will pay me $50, which i believe is what i am owed for having watched that tiktok.

Staggy
Mar 20, 2008

Said little bitch, you can't fuck with me if you wanted to
These expensive
These is red bottoms
These is bloody shoes

Rotten Red Rod posted:

There is no force on heaven or earth that could make me watch that video.

TheHan posted:

I know it's a controversial take in this thread, and I hesitate to give Mookie the benefit of the doubt after that revolting tiktok, but I actually do think he wants to be better at art, just not comics specifically. Comics are just a vehicle to get his "genius ideas" out into the world, and he hates the actual grueling work it takes to put a comic together, especially by yourself. I bet he loves these open concept panel layouts so much because even just having to draw within the confines of a panel feels stifling.

But I do get the impression he enjoys making art and wants to be as good as his inspirations are. However I don't think he's at the point where he enjoys the hours of studying and practice you've gotta put in to get there, if he's even consciously aware that that's something you have to do to create art like Moebius. Maybe I'm just projecting since I remember being a teen/early 20-something and being frustrated about my art not being at the level I wanted but not realizing that getting there would take learning and re-learning the not as fun basic concepts. Him looking at the Moebius piece and trying to recreate it without sloppily tracing it is genuinely a good first step in putting more thought into his work and maybe the first unironic positive feeling Mookie's art has ever made me feel.

Anyways, I feel like that embarrassing and frankly offensive tiktok warrants a bit more relentless mocking

I don't think it's that hot of a take. I'd say he does enjoy making comics - I think there has to be at least some enjoyment there for him to have stuck with it for so many years - but doesn't or can't accept that at some point, even the things you love become work that you have to critically reflect on to improve at. I just keep coming back to the point, which has been discussed at length in this thread, that in the original Deegan only the villains really had to practice or try to get good; the heroes just were. How much of that reflects his own views, either consciously or subconsciously? Because unless I'm being very charitable, it seems like a lot. He wants to be a great artist but doesn't necessarily want to do the work to become a great artist.

And hell, as someone who would like to be able to play the piano but in no way wants to learn to play the piano, it's probably the most relatable aspect of him at this point.

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.

Staggy posted:

And hell, as someone who would like to be able to play the piano but in no way wants to learn to play the piano, it's probably the most relatable aspect of him at this point.

If that was his main personality point he would be far less offensive.

Unfortunately he is also an out of touch sanctimonious geek who simultaneously thinks his bizarre understanding of morality makes him a better person than you, a jock.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Rotten Red Rod posted:

:ohno:

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Haha yes, your pain fuels me

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
Lol, he liked every comment on that vid, hes definitely removing anything negative

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣
I feel like Mookie probably 20 years behind Tiktok's Straight Allies™

In 5 years he'll read an article about straight people ruining gay bars and catch up with 2010s tumblr

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Welp. I did come back to try and post how much my life has improved since discovering that Ublock Origin can block specific threads from even appearing in the forum listings and encouraging anyone else having too much deegan on the brain to try it out.

then I saw the tiktok goddammit aaa gently caress fuuuuu

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

someone please transcribe the tiktok because i can't handle purestrain terraciano

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

a cartoon duck posted:

someone please transcribe the tiktok because i can't handle purestrain terraciano

Transcribing that tiktok would qualify as a cruel and unusual punishment.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

YF-23 posted:

Transcribing that tiktok would qualify as a cruel and unusual punishment.

Can't someone be a hero for those of us who never want to know what his voice sounds like?

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

MOOKIE (arms crossed as if in Powerup Comics): [tellin' it like it is] If you're a straight man who's been allowed into queer safe spaces, like social circles or performance spaces, you're gonna have to deal with being treated like the good member from an evil race like Mordor Orcs. And it's kinda justified.
[transitions into acted out drama]
Defensive Queer Person: [defensively] What is one of them doing here. This is a sacred space.
"Friend of Cis" Queer Person: [supplicatingly] Nonono it's okay, I can vouch for him. He's on our side, he's..."one of the good ones". I think.
DQP: [hesitantly] Alright. If you say so. [defiantly] But we haven't forgotten what his kind have done to our people.
Cis Guy: [hands up, apologetically] No, it's true, I'm here to help. And I really appreciate your trust in me. [pauses and leans in] So is it true that the bi girls like to have threesomes with-
DQP: [exasperated] Seriously.
FOCQP: [annoyed] Really dude?
CG: [orcfully] Forgive me forgive me orc cannot help himself.

All things considered Mookie's got a good voice though, it's kind of a radio voice but more NPR than Morning Zoo Crew, kind of like a books on tape low end of baritone high end of bass sort of pitch.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
"I'm one of the good ones you're safe with me! Also wanna have a threesome :wiggle:"

Like I get he's trying to be funny and self-deprecating but oof

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Using "one of the good ones" in a character being compared to a fantasy race that has historically been considered problematically race coded is a huge oof.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Hostile V posted:

All things considered Mookie's got a good voice though, it's kind of a radio voice but more NPR than Morning Zoo Crew, kind of like a books on tape low end of baritone high end of bass sort of pitch.

You are a gentleman and a scholar.

And yeah, Mookie's speaking voice is pretty good. There's a reason he was the MC for a burlesque show. It all breaks down when he tries to do these improvised playacting scenes though. He does them a lot in his heros and villains panel and it is excruciating.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
He would probably do well at any job where he can just read a script and maybe try to be a bit hype about something as long as he doesn't get to try to "act" as anyone other than himself or have any creative input on the script.

He'd certainly scoff at the idea of a job involving sports but his voice would be pretty well suited for being like a play-by-play announcer.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Anyway, wheel-spinning in case you didn't get the symbolism/metaphors/text.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Snout met the Chandrak, and had a vision that said "Luna".

Snout went back and hosed the Chandrak, and then had a dream that said "Luna".

Snout had a dream where the Chandrak told him to seek Luna.

Snout woke up and said, "Hmm, where do I find Luna? I think I'll ask the Chandrak."

:suicide:

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
"Seek" the Chandak? He literally just saw her in town in her street clothes, she lives there. She is reliably to be found masturbating in a bog minutes outside of town. What's to seek?

(Also, he's totally going to bone her again.)

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
Hell yeah another page of snout reading

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Snout met the Chandrak, and had a vision that said "Luna".

Snout went back and hosed the Chandrak, and then had a dream that said "Luna".

Snout had a dream where the Chandrak told him to seek Luna.

Snout woke up and said, "Hmm, where do I find Luna? I think I'll ask the Chandrak."

:suicide:

lol

"Durr should I look for this Luna person that the Chandrak told me to?

Maybe I should look for the Chandrak who told me to look for Luna so she can tell me where to find Luna durr"

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

he gonna gently caress luna or what

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.

Hostile V posted:

I read the last two text boxes as Mookie's inner dialog after he suffered a concussion but is still trying to work on his comic.

Edit: I'm guessing all of those Snout pictures are cut and paste from other comics.

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
Holy gently caress I thought this was an edit or an old page, it took me a while to realize this was THE NEW PAGE.

Mookie, just give UP. You clearly don't enjoy this.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Hmm but I don't know where the bog witch is. Maybe my friends know. Should I seek them to find her?

Huh, my friends don't seem to be around at the moment. They did talk about this nice coffee shop they found in town though. Should I seek it to find them?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
To seek Luna he must seek the person who told him about Luna- is this Zeno's Paradox?

Fleshwit
Apr 25, 2011
He both read something and then wrote something on this one page; that's progess.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Hostile V posted:

Retreading is fine, because I sure as hell am not gonna bother remembering what lovely nothing happening page he drew 2 updates ago

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
no más. I’m tapping out.