Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Rust Martialis posted:

Also, omicron wasn't significant prior to December, and didn't become the overwhelmingly dominant strain in DK until January. Not sure where the UK stands on the Delta-to-Omicron transition but given Omicron is generally less lethal than Delta, it is unlikely to "drastically" have killed people prior to Christmas. Or since.

The rate of reported UK covid deaths has doubled since Christmas, omicron is obviously killing more people than delta.

https://ourworldindata.org/explorer...se&country=~GBR

If the increase in number of cases is larger than the decrease in severity then number go up

goddamnedtwisto posted:

This is interesting because I was under the impression that the numbers put out by UKHSA already *did* include reinfections, which strongly suggests we have been *drastically* under-reporting case (and possibly death) numbers over the last few months assuming that Omicron has significant escape from prior immunity.

I say "possibly" under-reporting death because the deaths within 28 days number was mostly tracking with the death certificates numbers, which would make sense if reinfection was relatively uncommon, although both were under the excess deaths number.

Covid deaths in the US have also been drastically under-reported according to the CDC's estimations:

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/cases-updates/burden.html

The coroners in some US counties refuse to list covid on death certificates even though they've had a mysterious spike in mystery deaths this last year

quote:

Uncounted: Inaccurate death certificates across the country hide the true toll of COVID-19

In Cape Girardeau County, the coroner hasn’t pronounced a single person dead of COVID-19 in 2021.

Wavis Jordan, a Republican who was elected last year to serve as coroner of the 80,000-person county, says his office “doesn’t do COVID deaths.” He does not investigate deaths himself, and requires families to provide proof of a positive COVID-19 test before including it on a death certificate.

Meanwhile, deaths at home attributed to conditions with symptoms that look a lot like COVID-19 — heart attacks, Alzheimer’s and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease — increased.

“When it comes to COVID, we don’t do a test,” Jordan said, “so we don’t know if someone has COVID or not.”

Nationwide, nearly 1 million more Americans have died in 2020 and 2021 than in normal, pre-pandemic years, but about 800,000 deaths have been officially attributed to COVID-19, according to Centers for Disease Control and Prevention data.

A majority of those additional 195,000 deaths are unidentified COVID-19 cases, public health experts have long suggested, pointing to the unusual increase in deaths from natural causes.
https://missouriindependent.com/2021/12/22/uncounted-inaccurate-death-certificates-across-the-country-hide-the-true-toll-of-covid-19/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Platystemon posted:

The World Health Organisation assigns Greek letters manually as they see fit.

“BA.2” is a Pango lineage. These are used by scientists. Every distinct branch on the SARS-CoV-2 family tree gets one. There are thousands of these.

We used to talk about B.1.1.7 a.k.a. “the British variant”. The World Health Organisation designated that one “Alpha” at the end of May. B.1.351, first sequenced in South Africa and notable for what was at the time significant antibody evasion, was designated “Beta”.

Omicron’s Pango designation is “B.1.1.529”. Lineages can only have four fields, one letter and three numbers, before they start again with letters. The alphabet has been run through twice, first with single letters, then with A and a second letter. Delta has a bunch of AY babies that weren’t notable enough to be talked about in the general press. At this date branches that need new letters get B-something, the children of Omicron getting “BA”.

Come on WHO at least use semantic versioning.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

smackfu posted:

BTW what is this BA.2 bullshit? I thought we were using codenames for variants? Shouldn’t it be Pi or Rho?

Omicrunk

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

The coroners in some US counties refuse to list covid on death certificates even though they've had a mysterious spike in mystery deaths this last year

gently caress these people.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
meanwhile, in present day, the united states of the americas...

Mercury_Storm fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Jan 31, 2022

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Bucswabe posted:

I'm not all that interested in this protest, itself, but I am very fascinated by the media and public reaction to it. Personally, I think there is a huge amount of daylight between being anti vaccine and anti vaccine mandates (I myself am 100% pro vaccine, and 100% anti mandates). Can we really say for sure, in this case, that the bad apples represent everything this protest stands for? Would we be OK with a statement like that if there was a BLM protest where someone put a sign on Terry Fox?

On a forum that routinely (and rightfully) boasts "ACAB" are these acts of "vandalism" really so egregious?

I really don't want to be provocative, and start some poo poo storm, but I'm now 2 years into being basically forced into complete social isolation, and I've never felt more despair in my entire life. All I want is for people to have a bit of empathy on all sides...

Pat King, one of the organizers of these protests, uploaded a video ranting about the great replacement theory. Look that up if you don't know what it is. He basically believes that the vaccine mandates are secretly a scheme to murder/sterilize white people. Obviously that's not what all of the protesters believe, but it is representative of these protests

Woodsy Owl
Oct 27, 2004
Twomicron

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

I was kind of mad for a while today when one of my favorite YouTubers came out as an antivaxxer today. He's a pretty smart guy but gently caress man. Oh it's AvE btw. Some of you prolly watch him

Tarkus fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Jan 31, 2022

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Tarkus posted:

I was kind of mad for a while today when one of my favorite YouTubers came out as an antivaxxer today. He's a pretty smart guy but gently caress man. Oh it's AvE btw. Some of you prolly watch him
gently caress, really?

Goddammit

Woodsy Owl
Oct 27, 2004

Tarkus posted:

antivaxxer

Tarkus posted:

a pretty smart guy

:thunkin:

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

As I've learned over the last few years, somebody can be quite intelligent and have their brain broken in various ways. It's easy to write them off as dumb but that's largely not the case. That's what sucks the most.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Tarkus posted:

Oh it's AvE btw. Some of you prolly watch him

Where do you see that? I don’t see anything on his videos.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

dwarf74 posted:

gently caress, really?

Goddammit

Yeah he posted a rant in support of the Canadian convoy. That in itself could be defensible to a degree but then he went on about "the science" which is anti-vaxxer poo poo. He deleted the video I think and then posted a video showing the protest without commentary. I don't know if he deleted that as I unsubscribed.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

As an aside he was getting really smug and lovely to healthcare workers who'd seen the deaths in the comments. I was angry about it for like 2 hours, I usually don't care that much but this bugged me.

LookieLoo
Feb 10, 2011

I vaguely remember hearing AvE was a chud before now, but i can't point to specifics.

wontondestruction
Dec 3, 2012

I'm a piece of human waste who supports a culture of using gendered slurs, that leads to 78.1% of women in STEM fields experiencing sexual harassment

The rate of reported UK covid deaths has doubled since Christmas, omicron is obviously killing more people than delta.

https://ourworldindata.org/explorer...se&country=~GBR

If the increase in number of cases is larger than the decrease in severity then number go up

Covid deaths in the US have also been drastically under-reported according to the CDC's estimations:

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/cases-updates/burden.html

https://missouriindependent.com/2021/12/22/uncounted-inaccurate-death-certificates-across-the-country-hide-the-true-toll-of-covid-19/

Yeahhhhhh. Sound logic here. It's a wonder why my 87 yr old father with cancer didn't die from it. CDC can blow me. Covid is a JOKE.

One more kicking. History will show that at least 50% of "covid deaths" weren't from Covid. Get some, lemmings

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Nvm. He didn't delete it. It's called "working class heros"

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

wontondestruction posted:

Yeahhhhhh. Sound logic here. It's a wonder why my 87 yr old father with cancer didn't die from it. CDC can blow me. Covid is a JOKE.

One more kicking. History will show that at least 50% of "covid deaths" weren't from Covid. Get some, lemmings

gently caress off idiot, reddit might appreciate your thoughts

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

So what were they from?

wontondestruction
Dec 3, 2012

I'm a piece of human waste who supports a culture of using gendered slurs, that leads to 78.1% of women in STEM fields experiencing sexual harassment

Sid Vicious posted:

gently caress off idiot, reddit might appreciate your thoughts

that hurts

wontondestruction
Dec 3, 2012

binge crotching posted:

So what were they from?

other causes

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

good you're being a complete dumbass and that denialism has no place on an ostensibly intelligent message board

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

binge crotching posted:

So what were they from?

900,000 US deaths above the annual averages that just so happened to coincide with a global pandemic (and the rises & falls in the excess deaths graph just so happen to perfectly mirror the covid cases graph) ...... hey it could be anything!!! It's just one big mystery!! :v:

https://ourworldindata.org/explorer...country=USA~AUS

Australia actually ended up with around 15,000 less deaths than average on account of locking down and restricting movement during outbreaks (but when the data for the last month comes in we'll be trending hard the other way because we Open Bidened real hard)

Woodsy Owl
Oct 27, 2004
9105 masks back in stock at Grainger right now

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Since Feb of 2020 there have been around 1 million more deaths than in the years prior, a lot of them in nursing homes with respiratory and circulatory symptoms, but it's your opinion that "other causes" are to blame rather than the novel virus that causes respiratory and circulatory symptoms?

Yeahhhhhh. Sound logic here.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I understand you have never been a winner, but angling for a Herman Cain Award is not the way to try to remedy that.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

:roflolmao::roflolmao::roflolmao:

Couldn't have asked for a better answer lmao

Noobicide
Sep 12, 2007

Suck my loving dick, bitch.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
AvE has been dropping pretty unsubtle hints for a while now.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

thanks gene

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

900,000 US deaths above the annual averages that just so happened to coincide with a global pandemic (and the rises & falls in the excess deaths graph just so happen to perfectly mirror the covid cases graph) ...... hey it could be anything!!! It's just one big mystery!! :v:

obviously all the excess deaths were caused by carbon dioxide poisoning from Anthon Fauci's Death Masks

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Some more info on the million dollar fake vaxx registry scam:

https://twitter.com/rx0rcist/status/1487686398698266624

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

withak posted:

AvE has been dropping pretty unsubtle hints for a while now.

Yeah, I quit watching him a year or so ago after he posted some video talking about Covid that made it fairly clear where he stood.

CSM
Jan 29, 2014

56th Motorized Infantry 'Mariupol' Brigade
Seh' die Welt in Trummern liegen

Stickman posted:

Why? What makes you think that cases won’t stall at very high levels like in the UK? Why won’t we have a B.2 outbreak hot on the heals of B.1? Why wouldn’t we at least have summer outbreaks like the last two years?

You’re basing this on nothing except that it sounds good and you can vaguely hand-wave one data point into a pattern. SARS-CoV-2 is still changing too fast to make any predictions, except that there’s a very good chance that it’s not done with us. Especially if we pretend that we’re done with it.
Pandemics tend to end at some point, the more time passes the larger the chance the pandemic is ending. And we're already seeing signs of decreasing severity/illness/death through reduced virulence of the virus and the built up immunity through infections and vaccinations.

There's no question the virus is a lot less contagious in summer, we've already seen that pattern established time after time again.

There's also no reason to panic over every single virus variant like bA2 until it's time to do so. Even with variants, the virus is bound to hit diminishing returns.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

CSM posted:

Pandemics tend to end at some point, the more time passes the larger the chance the pandemic is ending.

LOL I guess someone forgot to tell AIDS and smallpox and malaria and etc etc ....

E: polio had been around since at least ancient Egyptian times and was only (mostly) stopped when there was a massive global vaccination program. (It's still going in some countries.)

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Jan 31, 2022

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

LOL I guess someone forgot to tell AIDS and smallpox and malaria and etc etc ....
Smallpox had a ~30% fatality rate. 2 out of 3 chance of survival, baby! Smallpox is a JOKE.

smallpox killed ~500 million people during the last 100 years of its existence, lol

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Those are/were all endemic, which means no one had to worry about them!

E: Plus variola minor meant that smallpox was mild, don't know what the fuss was about.

Zugzwang posted:

Smallpox had a ~30% fatality rate. 2 out of 3 chance of survival, baby! Smallpox is a JOKE.

smallpox killed ~500 million people during the last 100 years of its existence, lol

Pffft, just wait until bird flu recombines with some human-to-human chops.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Jan 31, 2022

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
Mild blindness and disfigurement

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

They're right though. The AIDS pandemic has not ended yet, but that doesn't mean that it never will. The second plague pandemic lasted hundreds of years, reappearing in places that had already been devastated by it a decade earlier

Pandemics end, but that doesn't mean that the disease that caused the pandemic has disappeared. IIRC there are at least a half-dozen cholera pandemics on record

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
https://twitter.com/davidminpdx/status/1487909933546758149