Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

lilljonas posted:

E: as for the discussion about agencies loving up, giving awful advice that ends up biting you in the rear end etc. This pisses me off immensely as I've been on the receiving end of it several times in my life, at one point ending up not being able to eat daily because I was completely destitute due to failures of people employed at agencies. I think it was one of the things that made me want to work at an agency myself and do it better than the people I had met. What baffles me, especially now as an "insider", is that agency employees tend to forget that there's a little thing called Serviceskyldighet in the Förvaltningslagen that simply points out that "Varje myndighet ska inom sitt verksamhetsområde så långt det är möjligt och lämpligt hjälpa enskilda att ta till vara sina intressen i förvaltningsärenden." That's not just a friendly hint, it's a law. I'm still surprised how especially lawyers at agencies tends to want to push every tiny little intepretation in other laws to the most extreme, but they refuse to consider serviceskyldigheten as important.

Expecting an agency to prosecute its own employees seems rather far fetched. Would do wonders for work morale. What is the actual penalty if one gets sentenced?
I guess the lack of individual consequences for bad decisions is why this mentality keeps on persisting?

Bureaucracy exists to further their own existence, that is why you never win against them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

I've been told that it's similar anti-gambling laws which make classic video game arcades in general sort of... limited in scope. Like I think there's one arcade in Stockholm, and there's an age limit to get in and they check your ID, and the few other times you might come across an arcade machine, it's in a bar because there's already age restrictions in place there, theoretically.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Cardiac posted:

Expecting an agency to prosecute its own employees seems rather far fetched. Would do wonders for work morale. What is the actual penalty if one gets sentenced?
I guess the lack of individual consequences for bad decisions is why this mentality keeps on persisting?

Bureaucracy exists to further their own existence, that is why you never win against them.

Not prosecute, but prioritize.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Ofaloaf posted:

I've been told that it's similar anti-gambling laws which make classic video game arcades in general sort of... limited in scope. Like I think there's one arcade in Stockholm, and there's an age limit to get in and they check your ID, and the few other times you might come across an arcade machine, it's in a bar because there's already age restrictions in place there, theoretically.

i don’t think this is true. HEY requires an ID to get in because it’s in the back of a bar and it is in the back of a bar mostly because they can’t afford to rent their own place, but maybe it’s a legal thing as well. i can ask some of the people who run it, i know someone who’s involved

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Ofaloaf posted:

They ban skåningar too.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Groda posted:

They ban skåningar too.

now that’s just common courtesy

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Groda posted:

They ban skåningar too.

If only more people would follow their example.

Konec Hry
Jul 13, 2005

too much love will kill you

Grimey Drawer

Groda posted:

They ban skåningar too.

Vi klarar oss nog ändå.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Ofaloaf posted:

Kiiiinda, but in the opposite way. Arcades are rated as "förströelsespel", if you can't win money or physical items. You need a permit, and that requires:

"Den som söker ska driva sin verksamhet på ett sätt som inte skapar en miljö som är olämplig för barn och ungdomar att vistas i."

So basically a machine where you can win money needs to be carefully monitored so that no minors use them, arcade machines have to be in friendly spaces (so no bars etc) and claw machines have to be in tivolis. Super clear.

fnox
May 19, 2013

I sort of get it for those machines that have like an iPhone in them that you can (if you’re insanely lucky) win. But a claw machine? Like those filled with just plushies and maybe a gacha ball? What’s really the resale value for those? I suppose the big difference is that you can put money in and get nothing back, but are these really things that are corrupting the youth?

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

lilljonas posted:

Not prosecute, but prioritize.

How do you mean?
Genuinely curious.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Cardiac posted:

How do you mean?
Genuinely curious.

In the case when two guiding laws stands in the way or opposite of each other then one should take priority over the other. Which in my very limited experience (n=1) is interpreted by the agency's legal team as the law with the least room for personal/case specific interpretation takes the priority because I guess the other option is not as legally clear?

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
:siren: Russian drone pilot arrested! :siren:
I'll have to eat my hat, there is Russian involvement in drones over skyddsobjekt.

The location in question is Drottningholm, and the man who was arrested has been released already, although he's still a suspect and will probably be fined eventually. Almost certainly a tourist who didn't know you're not allowed to fly there. Or maybe he thought it would be funny to troll the silly Swedes. Still, goes to show that there are real drones sometimes.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

TheFluff posted:

I'll have to eat my hat, there is Russian involvement in drones over skyddsobjekt.

The location in question is Drottningholm, and the man who was arrested has been released already, although he's still a suspect and will probably be fined eventually. Almost certainly a tourist who didn't know you're not allowed to fly there. Or maybe he thought it would be funny to troll the silly Swedes. Still, goes to show that there are real drones sometimes.

https://i.imgur.com/wunJK5f.mp4

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Zudgemud posted:

In the case when two guiding laws stands in the way or opposite of each other then one should take priority over the other. Which in my very limited experience (n=1) is interpreted by the agency's legal team as the law with the least room for personal/case specific interpretation takes the priority because I guess the other option is not as legally clear?

It's not even that. This is rant alert and it might be heavily biased from my own experiences, but let's just say that there are a lot of things that inform how a public agency should work, such as the national public service ethos and the Förvaltningslag. And believe you me, I've seen lawyers arguing to extreme length on issues, down to the details of what side of a headline a text should be, based on the importance of following these guidelines. Even when the interpretation is not 100% and creates a situation where every party involved is worse off. A prime example was the teachers's qualifications, where Skolverket hosed up royally and had outsourced "experts" give qualifications for wrong subjects, and could then not retract them even when the teachers asked them to. Fine, I can respect that laws are important and should be followed. But...

...likewise, those guidelines have clear rules for how to behave as a public servant and a public agency. But surprisingly, I've never seen laywers get quite as interested in making sure that their agencies follow those rules. For example, from Förvaltningslagen:

"Service
6 § En myndighet ska se till att kontakterna med enskilda blir smidiga och enkla.

Myndigheten ska lämna den enskilde sådan hjälp att han eller hon kan ta till vara sina intressen. Hjälpen ska ges i den utsträckning som är lämplig med hänsyn till frågans art, den enskildes behov av hjälp och myndighetens verksamhet. Den ska ges utan onödigt dröjsmål."

I've seen legal departments that are very obsessed with minutiae of the technical process of a case, such as how is documented, phrased, despatched and archived, but I have honestly never seen them raise the issue of the quality of service. This doesn't mean that there are nobody interested in such topics, but you'll be more likely to see it from communciation departments and from the line organization.

This is what I mean with the bad prioritization: some aspects of the Förvaltningslag tends to be pursued with dogged determination, while others are ignored. So for example, a legal department might not be at all concerned with an outsourced phone service, which sends callers to the wrong person or department repeatedly. Likewise website functionality etc. is typically not linked to whether the agency is living up to the Serviceplikt or not - it's merely a "web designer thing". Those are just some example of several issues where I personally have the opinion that many agencies should put ourselves to a higher standard based on the Serviceplikt.

So again, what I mean with prioritization is that I'd love more legal teams at agencies to care as much about the serviceplikt as they care about, say, how the resulting documents are stored afterwards.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jan 31, 2022

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Having worked in the Danish government, I can tell you that while some people may have strong opinions on archiving stuff, no one, absolutely no one, archives even half of what they should, and even less of it is properly documented.

Not saying that actually having sensible processes is a priority either, but pretty much every aspect of governing is being neglected in some form or the other.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

TheFluff posted:

This is really the typical drone flying offense (people flying cine drones without knowledge of local regs).

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

BonHair posted:

Having worked in the Danish government, I can tell you that while some people may have strong opinions on archiving stuff, no one, absolutely no one, archives even half of what they should, and even less of it is properly documented.

Not saying that actually having sensible processes is a priority either, but pretty much every aspect of governing is being neglected in some form or the other.
No archives = no proof you did anything wrong.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!

TheFluff posted:

Lol i used to fish where the photo for the article was taken. That is legal though.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Half-politics, half-help-an-immigrant. I applied for a work visa renewal here in Sweden, back last August, and it's still being processed. Depending on which specific details I enter to determine an estimate, there is a 75% chance my total wait time is anywhere between 10 to 16 months, and might possibly take longer.

- Why is Migrationsverket so broken? By the time my work visa renewal is approved, I'll almost need to start applying for my second renewal.

- I am warned not to leave the country while my application is being processed, but if the worst estimates happen, that means I have an 8-month window where I can travel within a 2-year period, before I'm supposed to not travel again when I apply for another renewal. That's, frankly, obscene. For the sake of my own mental health, what... how the gently caress do I see my family again?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Buy a forged passport and travel under fake name so legally you never left!

watho
Aug 2, 2013

welcome to sweden, our systems are broken and slow and not infrequently indistinguishable from evil

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Ofaloaf posted:

Half-politics, half-help-an-immigrant. I applied for a work visa renewal here in Sweden, back last August, and it's still being processed. Depending on which specific details I enter to determine an estimate, there is a 75% chance my total wait time is anywhere between 10 to 16 months, and might possibly take longer.

- Why is Migrationsverket so broken? By the time my work visa renewal is approved, I'll almost need to start applying for my second renewal.

- I am warned not to leave the country while my application is being processed, but if the worst estimates happen, that means I have an 8-month window where I can travel within a 2-year period, before I'm supposed to not travel again when I apply for another renewal. That's, frankly, obscene. For the sake of my own mental health, what... how the gently caress do I see my family again?

The work visa is the immigration process that's the quickest for most people so welp...

First off, those estimated times are total nonsense, because the distribution curve is so smeared out. With the exception of family visa, which seems to be a bit more realistic. Estimated work visa times have always been *way* more than the median. Renewals usually take longer, especially with work and study visas, and that could be because of prioritizing folks stuff outside Sweden vs folks stuck in Sweden. Or that it's more labor intensive to check your compliance than check a fresh job offer.

Are you doing something complicating? Self-employed? Non union workplace? "Low-skill" industry?

When you get to the six month point, apply for a request to make a decision. This doesn't always work, but work visa applications don't usually spend a lot of time waiting on addition submissions -- unlike family visas -- so it's more reliable.

What country are you from? If you have visa free travel to Sweden, it's not a huge deal to travel abroad. I probably did it dozens of times during processing, including to my home country.

Groda fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Feb 1, 2022

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Nenonen posted:

Buy a forged passport and travel under fake name so legally you never left!

When my sister was going to Canada to study she called the embassy to get help with her visa. They straight up gave her a guide on how to enter their country without a valid visa.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Ofaloaf posted:

Why is Migrationsverket so broken? By the time my work visa renewal is approved, I'll almost need to start applying for my second renewal.
As far as I know 2015 broke the camel's back and they are still dealing with the related backlogs.

Ofaloaf posted:

I am warned not to leave the country while my application is being processed, but if the worst estimates happen, that means I have an 8-month window where I can travel within a 2-year period, before I'm supposed to not travel again when I apply for another renewal. That's, frankly, obscene. For the sake of my own mental health, what... how the gently caress do I see my family again?

From what I gather by talking to colleagues; if you travel outside of Sweden your case get sorted into the pile of backlogged cases that need further manual review and investigation. Sadly, this pile is huge and your case will be handled in due turn which in practice means sometime near the heat death of the universe. Any travel will also disrupt any application for citizenship due the aforementioned need for manual review and the associated backlog.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Zudgemud posted:

As far as I know 2015 broke the camel's back and they are still dealing with the related backlogs.

Due to the new law in 2016 MigV drowned in applications as the law dramatically increased the administrative burden per applicant. I think it only got worse with the recent revisions.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

MiddleOne posted:

Due to the new law in 2016 MigV drowned in applications as the law dramatically increased the administrative burden per applicant. I think it only got worse with the recent revisions.

They're also swamped with temporary visa applications because the left and right are fighting about who can hate immigrants more, which ended up with temporary visas becoming the norm instead of permanent visas for people applying for asylum. So it's not mainly a back-log from 2015, it's a self inflicted back log due to wanting to be tuffast on brown people.

https://www.vk.se/2021-07-30/stor-okning-av-tillfalliga-uppehallstillstand-vantas

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Feb 1, 2022

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Yes, the TUP-changes were primarily what I was alluding too. It was an idiotic and moronic reform, and Migrationsverkets warnings that exactly this would happen during the remiss-face fell deaf.

Gedt
Oct 3, 2007

Update on dumbfuck who broke quarantine to show off his car at work: He got fired.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Groda posted:

Are you doing something complicating? Self-employed? Non union workplace? "Low-skill" industry?

When you get to the six month point, apply for a request to make a decision. This doesn't always work, but work visa applications don't usually spend a lot of time waiting on addition submissions -- unlike family visas -- so it's more reliable.

What country are you from? If you have visa free travel to Sweden, it's not a huge deal to travel abroad. I probably did it dozens of times during processing, including to my home country.
I'm an American working as a full-time employee in Other Industry (video games), unionized. I submitted my extension application last August- this month actually marks six months. Migrationsverket did ask for additional submissions from me twice so far, though. The last submission I sent to them was in November. Since then it's just been... silence.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Gedt posted:

Update on dumbfuck who broke quarantine to show off his car at work: He got fired.

I am happy to hear this

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Bogging down the immigration authorities with strict requirements that lead to unworkable delays seems like a deliberate action from the government. Or at least it would in Denmark, I thought Sweden was less advanced still.
But it sounds like the ultimate point is to make it difficult for brown people to get in/stay. Even if that means that everyone who is not a Swede must suffer.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Zudgemud posted:

From what I gather by talking to colleagues; if you travel outside of Sweden your case get sorted into the pile of backlogged cases that need further manual review and investigation. Sadly, this pile is huge and your case will be handled in due turn which in practice means sometime near the heat death of the universe. Any travel will also disrupt any application for citizenship due the aforementioned need for manual review and the associated backlog.
No, that doesn't happen. Citizenship applications specifically just go in the slow pile if you spend too much time abroad. However, it used to be much less (>42 days per calender year), which screwed me over when I applied. Other types of immigration applications couldn't give one flying gently caress unless you're doing something egregious.

Ofaloaf posted:

I'm an American working as a full-time employee in Other Industry (video games), unionized. I submitted my extension application last August- this month actually marks six months. Migrationsverket did ask for additional submissions from me twice so far, though. The last submission I sent to them was in November. Since then it's just been... silence.

If it was just sending them further payslips, get that begäran om att avgöra ärende in. The key thing is if you think they'd be able to make a complete decision in your case without requesting further documents.

Also, I remembered wrong -- it's four months for work visas (six months for family).

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Thanks for the info!

That pile for citizenship applicants that left the country is super slow btw. Like 3+ years delay so far for well documented work related trips to god-drat Denmark in 2018.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
https://svt.se/nyheter/lokalt/blekinge/nilyufar-har-downs-syndrom-ska-skickas-ensam-till-kazakstan

Normal and humane system! Clearly the Olympics have started since Sweden is trying to go for Denmark’s spot.

fnox
May 19, 2013

I guess Sweden also decided to join the open 'er up camp. Not like the measures were worth a drat anyway.

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off
https://www.svt.se/nyheter/inrikes/alla-restriktioner-tas-bort-nasta-vecka

All restriction are getting lifted next week, this is confusing to me since new cases are really high still, I thought things would go back to "normal" after the wave was over but they're racing on ahead anyway. Guess they've noticed that people don't really care about restrictions any more or something and decided to make it official.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
We had restrictions?

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off

Mymla posted:

We had restrictions?

Not many but they where there and not that many people cared anyway. I've been having ms teams meetings again since the cases went up again for example because of the new recommendations, speaking of, ms teams just sucks, I don't know why every drat gov. agency, förening and corporation insists on using it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever

fnox posted:

I guess Sweden also decided to join the open 'er up camp. Not like the measures were worth a drat anyway.

thank gently caress