Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

this but with WoL
https://twitter.com/lyr_ae/status/1295932942695272448

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Imagine not playing JRPGs specifically for fishing minigames.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

I don't actually have a problem with Fishing, I just know it's super fast to level right now so at some point I'll take a day and just do the whole thing.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Trying out dancer and having one million years of self targeted AOE is so nice after 20 levels of black mage and “oh my target died and the cast stopped with .5s left”

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Ibblebibble posted:

Imagine not playing JRPGs specifically for fishing minigames.

FF14 has the worst fishing minigame that I've played in like, the last decade of jrpgs, maybe even of all time though?

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Failboattootoot posted:

FF14 has the worst fishing minigame that I've played in like, the last decade of jrpgs, maybe even of all time though?

From what little fishing I've done, it's barely a minigame, which I appreciate because I universally loathe fishing minigames.

My problem with FSH as a class was when I did the class quests and got stuck waiting for the RNG to finally give me the fish I needed to turn in.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
(Very very minor Trusts spoiler) I can't believe that I only realized that after it was pointed out to me that Alisaie can and will use Limit Break whenever she is able to

Fiye
Nov 23, 2021

No one can hide anything from me.
Your heart is in plain sight to me.

Silly Newbie posted:

So I've got my crafters and gatherers to cap, how do I make money with this?
Short Answer: You don't until patch 6.2

Long Answer: You missed 2 windows of gil making w/ the new expansion. The post xpac launch happened so gathering/crafting gear and and materia are dirt cheap and savage happened so the i580 gear is already really cheap. (I just bought a set for .5m instead of making my own cheap)

If you want to make gil right now running Maps, Retainers (More = better), and Leve quest turn ins are all guaranteed sources of gil. Otherwise its a matter of finding your own niche that's underserved where you can make money. Levequest turn ins and quest turn ins are always good gil to be made. But the big money maker won't happen until patch 6.2 happens and you'll have about 24 hours to make big gil before everything deflates.

Super Foul Egg
Oct 5, 2005
Don't take me for an ordinary man

The debate is kicking off around a tricky and nuanced subject but to cut things short: The objectively correct Fishing In FFXIV opinion is that it is indeed a dire minigame buried by every other implementation of it from the last two decades BUT the Ocean Fishing doesn't give a poo poo what you catch and is basically just there to let you show off your Boat Glams and occasionally take fullscreen drugs so as of patch 5.2 it owns actually.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

King of Solomon posted:

From what little fishing I've done, it's barely a minigame, which I appreciate because I universally loathe fishing minigames.

My problem with FSH as a class was when I did the class quests and got stuck waiting for the RNG to finally give me the fish I needed to turn in.

Oh it's not just the RNG (love a baseline 40% chance to not catch a "big fish" that gear does nothing about), but also the interminable schedule and catching windows and weather and all that horseshit. gently caress fishing forever.

Though yes, ocean fishing is a fun time.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Fiye posted:

Short Answer: You don't until patch 6.2

Long Answer: You missed 2 windows of gil making w/ the new expansion. The post xpac launch happened so gathering/crafting gear and and materia are dirt cheap and savage happened so the i580 gear is already really cheap. (I just bought a set for .5m instead of making my own cheap)

If you want to make gil right now running Maps, Retainers (More = better), and Leve quest turn ins are all guaranteed sources of gil. Otherwise its a matter of finding your own niche that's underserved where you can make money. Levequest turn ins and quest turn ins are always good gil to be made. But the big money maker won't happen until patch 6.2 happens and you'll have about 24 hours to make big gil before everything deflates.

This is not entirely true, you don't make huge bank now but there's lots of poo poo people want and you can make significant gil, if not raking in millions in a single night. The dirty trick is HQing mats for other, lazier crafters, and making crafting gear for the people getting in later than you. Not gonna get rich, but you can profit.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Unlucky7 posted:

(Very very minor Trusts spoiler) I can't believe that I only realized that after it was pointed out to me that Alisaie can and will use Limit Break whenever she is able to

Also, Alphinaud preferentially heals Alisaie over anybody else, including you and the tank.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Failboattootoot posted:

Oh it's not just the RNG (love a baseline 40% chance to not catch a "big fish" that gear does nothing about), but also the interminable schedule and catching windows and weather and all that horseshit. gently caress fishing forever.

Though yes, ocean fishing is a fun time.

I unironically love the idea of waiting 2 weeks for a 10 minute window for some big fish.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
In case it's not obvious by now, you won't get any specific advice beyond what you've already gotten. Remember that despite how nontoxic we are about it on here, you are in direct competition with not only all the other goons who would be giving advice, but every rando from the internet who could see this thread. If there's one place where knowledge is power, it's the mb endgame

and re:fishing - Just imagine trying to figure out that poo poo to a useful and specific degree without relying on 3rd party websites. I'm all for exploration, but the entire implementation of it just feels so opaque and unfun despite how many times I try it

Sentient Data fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Jan 31, 2022

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Unlucky7 posted:

So does Estinien

Fiye
Nov 23, 2021

Sentient Data posted:

In case it's not obvious by now, you won't get any specific advice beyond what you've already gotten. Remember that despite how nontoxic we are about it on here, you are in direct competition with not only all the other goons who would be giving advice, but every rando from the internet who could see this thread. If there's one place where knowledge is power, it's the mb endgame

and re:fishing - Just imagine trying to figure out that poo poo to a useful and specific degree without relying on 3rd party websites. I'm all for exploration, but the entire implementation of it just feels so opaque and unfun despite how many times I try it

My gil strategy is leveling multiple alts, doing levequest turn ins, and running 18 hour ventures on an account that has all 10 retainers paid for. I'm at 10 characters right now.

Is this a dumb and idiotic way to make money? Insanely. However my wife has a large mansion in the glade that was paid for by biscuits so it was definitely worth the RSI.

Super Foul Egg
Oct 5, 2005

Fiye posted:

My gil strategy is leveling multiple alts, doing levequest turn ins, and running 18 hour ventures on an account that has all 10 retainers paid for. I'm at 10 characters right now.

Is this a dumb and idiotic way to make money? Insanely. However my wife has a large mansion in the glade that was paid for by biscuits so it was definitely worth the RSI.

It sounds like it was actually paid for by a monthly subscription to ten retainers and way more of your time than anyone would consider reasonable. Shoulda listened to one of those RMT spam messages!!

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012
The real trick is to immediately buy people’s mispriced big ticket items and to ignore them when they try and contact you. No I don’t care that you typed 6,000,000 instead of 60,000,000. You’re not getting the item back (I already flipped it) and I’m not going to give you more money.

An actual hint for gil making on the MB is this, volume. Don’t focus on items that make like 60k per craft but only sell a few copies a day if you can be making items that have a per craft profit of a few thousand that sells at a far faster rate. Also don’t be the guy that saturates a market (e.g. don’t make 10 SAM weapons), diversify what you’re selling.

Super Foul Egg
Oct 5, 2005

Maguoob posted:

The real trick is to immediately buy people’s mispriced big ticket items and to ignore them when they try and contact you. No I don’t care that you typed 6,000,000 instead of 60,000,000. You’re not getting the item back (I already flipped it) and I’m not going to give you more money.

An actual hint for gil making on the MB is this, volume. Don’t focus on items that make like 60k per craft but only sell a few copies a day if you can be making items that have a per craft profit of a few thousand that sells at a far faster rate. Also don’t be the guy that saturates a market (e.g. don’t make 10 SAM weapons), diversify what you’re selling.

https://twitter.com/TikTokInvestors/status/1483488749791035395

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
And to anyone else looking at this from the outside, yes, getting max level omni is essentially buying a ticket to an entirely different game, one that can easily consume you in multiple meanings of the word

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Unlucky7 posted:

Harrow posted:

So does Estinien
Some additional quirks even there: they'll wait for a boss, even though of course getting Alisaie to use it against a trash pack would be better damage :v:. But they'll also wait for LB2 when it's the last boss of a dungeon, and something about the scripting of the 83 dungeon boss in particular means it's not uncommon for them to make multiple attempts at starting the LB2 because I guess they keep getting interrupted by the "move out of the way" subroutine but they're already in the safe zone so they keep trying. I think Alisaie still has top priority for the LB but she might have to have more finicky positioning than Estinien because I've had him trying to use it first sometimes. Or, as the soundbites from one particular run went for me, "TIME TO END THIS TIME TO END THIS TIME TO END THIS WITH HEART AND WITH HEART AND WITH HEART AND WITH HEART AND WITH HEART AND WITH HEART AND WITH HEART AND WITH HEART AND WITH HEART AND WITH HEART AND STEEL"

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

I've also seen alisaie and estinien eat the same AOE without moving out of it at all. those two are the most "healers adjust" motherfuckers ive ever seen

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Kerrzhe posted:

I've also seen alisaie and estinien eat the same AOE without moving out of it at all. those two are the most "healers adjust" motherfuckers ive ever seen

Estinien in particular seems like he loves to drop aoe on the player too. Or at least I found as a Samurai he'd often be in the safe spot I want to go for in content.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Lord_Magmar posted:

Estinien in particular seems like he loves to drop aoe on the player too. Or at least I found as a Samurai he'd often be in the safe spot I want to go for in content.

You underestimate me! :smug:

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Question about Treasure Maps: Are those usually done through Party Finder, assuming people still do them?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Unlucky7 posted:

Question about Treasure Maps: Are those usually done through Party Finder, assuming people still do them?

Party finder works, and you'll see a bunch up there. I prefer not to so I can use sane rules with trustworthy people, so I either go through friends/fcs/discord first.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
First Eureka TT NPC unlocked. Gonna have to unlock and do HoH too :negative:

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Edmund Lava posted:

This video is was what introduced FFXIV to me and I ignored the game until Shadowbringers came out and I was assured the fatigue system was dumpstered.

That's the original beta setup. It remained in the game until 1.18 (so before ARR, even), but the numbers were tweaked enough that I believe nobody ever actually reached the point that they got 0 XP.

Silly Newbie posted:

So I've got my crafters and gatherers to cap, how do I make money with this?

I can't speak for too much, but make sure you're getting your daily treasure map on one of your gatherers. It's an extremely easy 30-80k Gil every day. (The cooldown's actually 18 hours, which you can check in the Timers menu.) You get them as a "rare" (not actually that rare) gather from the max level gathering nodes for an expansion as MIN and BTN, while FSH can get them through using an ability, though I don't know how it works since I've never used it.

You'll want to double check which map is the best. The level 80 map was going for nearly twice the level 90 one on my server last week, for example.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Yeah it really depends on what you consider "making money..."

I generally treat my money pretty passively and have not ever tried to "strike it rich," I'm sitting on 25 million and feel relatively comfortable, but I also don't own a house or run an FC or whatever.

And then there are people who want to hit the gil cap

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Party finder works, and you'll see a bunch up there. I prefer not to so I can use sane rules

But FFA is the sanest way to do maps, unless you prefer cheering against your party members.

(exception for "we just pool everything together and sell it at the end and split the cash" groups, I suppose)

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Kyrosiris posted:

But FFA is the sanest way to do maps, unless you prefer cheering against your party members.

(exception for "we just pool everything together and sell it at the end and split the cash" groups, I suppose)

Yeah, and PF usually does map owner needs, in my experience. Which is a bullshit rule for clowns.

e: Although probably useful in PF, because you can't be sure people actually have maps or aren't going to bail before their map comes up.

Orcs and Ostriches fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Jan 31, 2022

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

King of Solomon posted:

https://twitter.com/King_of_Solomon/status/1487979623405309954

God, I'm so close. I'll probably get the remaining crafters to 90 tomorrow.

i spent the weekend getting my last few doh jobs to 90 and knocking out a full set of gear for both doh and dol; then it was pentamelding time :suicide: (it wasn't actually that bad 'cause i went for a cheaper setup that suits my needs and didn't blindly purchase hilariously overpriced V materia)

i know it's dumb but i'm actually kinda chuffed having a full set of gear with my own name stamped on it :v:

next up: kitting out my combat jobs with classical gear so i never have to set foot in p2 with pubbies ever again

Fiye
Nov 23, 2021

Oneiros posted:

then it was pentamelding time :suicide:

I'm getting flashbacks to when you had to penta meld one at a time. Blowing up 50 Grade X materia instead of failing them one by one will always feel better.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Fiye posted:

I'm getting flashbacks to when you had to penta meld one at a time. Blowing up 50 Grade X materia instead of failing them one by one will always feel better.

i get sympathetic anxiety just standing next to someone and hearing the simultaneous materia melding/crunching sfx. i can't imagine listening to failure dozens of times in a row for a single slot

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
Why do people die to Act 2 so much? Is it not just a set path depending on which tether you get for non-tanks?

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
The date for the next PLL has been set: February 18th.

The first half will cover what's coming up for FFXIV (they're calling it the "Newfound Futures: The Next 10 Years of FFXIV" segment), while the second half will be an Endwalker Q&A. If you have any questions you want YoshiP to answer, there's a link in that announcement to the thread to ask them in.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

I should have went to bed two hours ago, but I couldn't sleep without posting. Lets Play Heavensward!

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

CJ posted:

Why do people die to Act 2 so much? Is it not just a set path depending on which tether you get for non-tanks?

Fire DPS strat needs a bit of thinking based on who you're attached to.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Wanting to make a new character on an Oceanic world but cannot for the life of me pick a race.

Main on Excal is a Roe so don't want to make another, as much as they absolutely own.
Bunny boys own, but I will want to make pirate glams and what fuckin pirate doesn't have a hat.
Hrothgar same issue.
Hyur boring. Miqote boring. Don't like the Au Ra aesthetic.
Want to mostly play tank so don't really want to roll a Lala as too short.
Elezen good... but can't seem to quite make one I'm happy with.

This is harder than any content in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

It's like having writer's block but for chargen and I assume if I complain about it enough sooner or later a character I love as my main will spring fully formed from my random hammering at the character creator.