Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Jel Shaker posted:

we’re in the everything bubble now, so all the ponzis are going to collapse all at once like in albania , but on a global scale

Ok. Still not entirely sure how that’s connected to lots of gambling ads on TV, but maybe I’m being slow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Gambling advertisement is one of the two biggest things I noticed moving from Ireland to here (the other is how odd it is that alcohol is placed in the middle of the shop and not as far away from the door as possible, which has been regulation in Ireland for a while now).

There's so many gambling adverts. On the street, on buses, on TV, online... It really is everywhere and feels especially scummy and predatory.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Comrade Fakename posted:

Have you watched it recently? I thought it was a masterpiece back when I was a teenager, but seeing it a few years ago it was embarrassingly terrible. I mean you’re supposed to take the plastic bag bit seriously. Also it’s hilariously dated, being about how awful it is to have a well-paying job and nice house and family. And that’s before you get to Kevin Spacey and underage boobs.

If you go back and watch anything that is 10 plus years old, you start to see problematic areas.
Like even one of my favourite comedies from my early 20's doesn't look great.

https://twitter.com/CBThorburn/stat...ingawful.com%2F

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Gorn Myson posted:

She denies this later in the article but I 100% believe this is true.

Shes getting booted out in the next election regardless of who wins the GE.

"Her partner" should probably be changed to "someone else's husband".

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
just cos you're goign out with someone doesn't mean you own them, people break up and have other relationships

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

therattle posted:

Ok. Still not entirely sure how that’s connected to lots of gambling ads on TV, but maybe I’m being slow.
I'm guessing it shows symptoms an economy that's run out of anything useful to hawk.

Like we can discuss the problems of advertising and so on in more general but at least the adverts for stairlifts on between all the lite detective dramas told an audience that that a stairlift was something that existed and, given that they were in a demographic that may benefit, here's a huge telephone number repeated five times. Even the countless slap-chop as-seen-on-tv adverts provided something that usually works for a few months. If all they've got left to sell to general audiences is "click button to transfer a chunk of your paycheck to an internet company in Gibraltar" then that seems like an agent of decay.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Back in the office 'en masse' tomorrow (all 3 of us).

It's like 'back to school' - my work laptop is packed, work banking gadget and freshly-laundered facemask in handbag, packed lunch ready in the fridge, uniform* all clean and ready, my LFT test laid out ready to take before I go in.

*top that isn't a scruffy t-shirt, jeans instead of 'loungewear' baggy drawstring things.

We've not seen each other in real life for a couple of months now (though we've all dropped in to the office to get post etc carefully making sure no one else was in at the same time.)

Our office is on the 3rd floor of an extremely rickety old listed building with a narrow, winding staircase and it has been icy cold in the building - 12C - so if anyone had an accident up there, they would probably die of hypothermia. Let alone the possibility of getting trapped in the bog which if the door of the kitchen cupboard swung open slightly would trap you in the bog with no possible contact with the outside world. I did flag up as a potential H&S thing and insist on anyone going in texting the others to know when in, and when leave so someone with office keys could investigate if necessary!

Mebh
May 10, 2010

I took tomorrow off to get more tattoos because I am hopelessly addicted and it makes me feel good.

Also Pokemon Arceus is loving great.

Also goddamn the wind is insane...

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Mebh posted:

I took tomorrow off to get more tattoos because I am hopelessly addicted and it makes me feel good.

Also goddamn the wind is insane...

Did you become radicalized by tattoo ads on tv

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Mebh posted:

Are you getting a pokemon tattoo.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

I'm guessing it shows symptoms an economy that's run out of anything useful to hawk.

Like we can discuss the problems of advertising and so on in more general but at least the adverts for stairlifts on between all the lite detective dramas told an audience that that a stairlift was something that existed and, given that they were in a demographic that may benefit, here's a huge telephone number repeated five times. Even the countless slap-chop as-seen-on-tv adverts provided something that usually works for a few months. If all they've got left to sell to general audiences is "click button to transfer a chunk of your paycheck to an internet company in Gibraltar" then that seems like an agent of decay.

Going through my local tube stations in south London I’ve watched the advertising change over the last year from primarily advertising plant-based food options to gambling, buy-now-pay-later, crypto, rent your furniture, and finally it’s settled into straight-up ‘sell your possessions’.

Grim.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Jeherrin posted:

Going through my local tube stations in south London I’ve watched the advertising change over the last year from primarily advertising plant-based food options to gambling, buy-now-pay-later, crypto, rent your furniture, and finally it’s settled into straight-up ‘sell your possessions’.

Grim.

But there's one ad that powers on through all eras, abiding and eternal

Are you tired of being tired? *photo of woman yawning*

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

It occurs to me that tagline would also work well for advertising Quietus

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I forget which gambling ads it is but it goes on something like 'community feel' 'family atmosphere' and so on and shows a bunch of gamblers all sat in one big room chatting, painting, and so on. I mean, does this actually happen ANYWHERE?

My (very few) forays into a bookies in my wild youth (won £17 following a £1.09 bet (9p tax upfront) on Seapigeon at 17:1 antepost when I was about 18 - my first ever bet.), they're miserable places where people stand in silence with their little biros pouring over 'form' on the back of the Racing Post. And as for 'amusement arcades' all those noisy machines - soulless.

The one time my work "went to the races" as a work social it was exactly like this too, but outdoors.

We only went because the thick shits in the office were convinced it was as glamorous as it looks on TV when the royals and poo poo go.

They all glammed up for it and when we got there it was mostly fat folk in polo shirts or dressed up and acting like they were at to a nightclub (stumbling around pished, smoking and swearing, etc).

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

Every time I see that I mentally append "then you need to overthrow capitalism", to the point where I think that must have been the intended message.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

This is amazing. Interviews with boomers who live in vans in Bristol.

Some destitute, some are there out of choice because they found community there, most just want to be near the hospital.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSCenFDbprE

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
The ads on the back of buses always fascinate me because they're probably the most narrowly-targeted public advertising spots in the world. Normal roadside billboards advertise to pedestrians and drivers in all states of driving, side adverts on buses advertise to pedestrians, but the back of a bus pretty much only ever gets seen long enough to absorb by drivers stuck in traffic behind a bus."Do you want to sell something to someone bored, irritated and who desperately doesn't want to be where they are? Well have we got a spot for you!".

Advertisers do seem to have realised this too - the most common ones are:

- vitamin adverts, the ones with "Here's a celebrity to endorse us but they're not *that* famous so we're going to put their name under them so you know they're not just a random stock picture" which I guess makes sense because if you're reading the ad you're almost certainly going to have a feeling of not being 100% for reasons you can't put your finger on
- sixth-form colleges, because they don't want to advertise to parents who aren't climb-y enough to put their kids on a bus, they want the ones who get stuck in traffic for an hour driving them to a school 8 miles away they've read has 0.1% better GCSE results
- "Be a bus driver!", because I suppose the thinking is they can trick people into thinking if they were driving the bus they'd be one place further ahead in the traffic jam

TBH I'm surprised there's not more gambling, share dealing, forex and cryptocoin ads (yes they are all basically the same thing), because they're all over the Tube, selling the dream of not having to commute any more. Also last time I was on the tube there was a shitload of "Missed out on dogecoin? Check out <some other cryptocoin>" which seems like it should be completely illegal for an advert but what do I know?

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Are you getting a pokemon tattoo.

Dear god no.

I just get the artist to do whatever they feel like drawing. End up with some wild poo poo.

Adverts on the tube always seemed to be of the same ilk as those on the back of a bus. "you hate where you are right now and didn't bring a book"

Mebh fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Jan 31, 2022

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Mebh posted:

Dear god no.

I just get the artist to do whatever they feel like drawing. End up with some wild poo poo."

Now I really hope the artist is inspired to do some Pokemon poo poo

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

The one I've noticed on the tube lately is for the Frozen musical, and the tagline is "ONE BIG HIT!".

Really weird way of saying that, and every time I read it as "one big poo poo".

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

therattle posted:

It's because we've reached the point where social mobility no longer exists. It used to be that people could aspire. You could work hard, get a better job, own your own home. But you can't do that any more, because the elite class don't want you to. Every well paid job taken by a talented person is one more that they can't slot their failsons into; every person who owns their home is one more person who isn't paying them rent.

The only way the average person can hope to become even comfortably off is to win the Lottery, or some big accumulator bet. Not that this helps them - poor people generally don't know how to handle being rich even if the get the chance, so they wind up blowing it all on trying to be rich rather than to have wealth. This is also as intended.

So with gambling wins being all the masses can possibly aspire to, that's what they must advertise. They can't advertise nice holidays or flash cars or even quality products because that will remind people of what they can't afford, and if people are reminded of what they can't afford then they won't stay placid.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Failed Imagineer posted:

Now I really hope the artist is inspired to do some Pokemon poo poo

Last time they drew a deer skull so i guess it could kinda be like a cubone...

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

stev posted:

The one I've noticed on the tube lately is for the Frozen musical, and the tagline is "ONE BIG HIT!".

Surprisingly honest ad way of saying "yeah you've heard "Let It Go" a billion times, now relive that trauma in a theatre!"

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Friends, I’m here to give you all a link that will seem like usual dull Tory propaganda shite then fill you with fire and rage the end.

https://news.sky.com/story/is-your-job-at-risk-the-roles-most-likely-to-be-moved-out-of-the-uk-due-to-remote-working-12527495

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2022/jan/31/tories-cost-of-living-crisis-labour-rachel-reeves posted:

By cutting VAT on home energy bills and spreading some of the costs from suppliers gone bust, you can save most households across the country £200 off their bills.

With the Resolution Foundation saying that the average household will feel a hit of £1,200 in April, many will benefit from that. But as fuel poverty rises, lower earners and pensioners will be hit especially hard.

That’s why Labour would target extra support to those who need it most, giving those households an extra £400 – that’s £600 off bills in total – enough to cancel out the total expected energy price rise in April.

Inspiring. A hypothetical Labour government of today would possibly not make something worse.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

stev posted:

No, that's the advert with the elderly couple having a lovely dance to celebrate them finally being able to do a poo

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

domhal posted:

Inspiring. A hypothetical Labour government of today would possibly not make something worse.

How does £600 cancel out £1200?

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

learnincurve posted:

Friends, I’m here to give you all a link that will seem like usual dull Tory propaganda shite then fill you with fire and rage the end.

https://news.sky.com/story/is-your-job-at-risk-the-roles-most-likely-to-be-moved-out-of-the-uk-due-to-remote-working-12527495
lmao the landlords are so scared

JoylessJester
Sep 13, 2012

TACD posted:

lmao the landlords are so scared

I started to think I'm pretty safe moving further afield because my office has just announced it's going to sell 2 of our 3 office sites off. Can't be forced back in office if the office doesn't exist.

Who would buy them is the question bugging me.

JoylessJester fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Jan 31, 2022

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Pandemic has taught me that my job requires minimal effort. I just need to be near my laptop to answer urgent emails. If upper management realise this I'm probably hosed though.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

keep punching joe posted:

Pandemic has taught me that my job requires minimal effort. I just need to be near my laptop to answer urgent emails. If upper management realise this I'm probably hosed though.

Don't worry that's most office jobs. If you need further reassurance then read David Graeber's Bullshit Jobs

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
I'm too cheap for platinum membership search and too lazy to look through 134 pages: what was the used office chair website discussed not long ago?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

JoylessJester posted:

I started to think I'm pretty safe moving further afield because my office has just announced it's going to sell 2 of our 3 office sites off. Can't be forced back in office if the office doesn't exist.

Someone who's going to convert them into housing by blocking half the fire exits and putting up partition walls made of flash paper.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Pablo Bluth posted:

I'm too cheap for platinum membership search and too lazy to look through 134 pages: what was the used office chair website discussed not long ago?

https://www.2ndhnd.com/?

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

And https://www.reyooz.com/

Loonytoad Quack
Aug 24, 2004

High on Shatner's Bassoon

https://www.reyooz.com/ is the other good one, but 2ndhnd is better if you're after a top end chair.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

peanut- posted:

If you have the budget for it https://www.2ndhnd.com/ is excellent for good-as-new refurbs of proper office chairs like Steelcase or Herman Miller. I bought a Steelcase Leap off them about 6 years ago and couldn't tell it wasn't factory new, and it's still great now. Still loolking at £350+ from them though.

Pablo Bluth posted:

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Thanks.

Goldskull
Feb 20, 2011

goddamnedtwisto posted:

The ads on the back of buses always fascinate me because they're probably the most narrowly-targeted public advertising spots in the world. Normal roadside billboards advertise to pedestrians and drivers in all states of driving, side adverts on buses advertise to pedestrians, but the back of a bus pretty much only ever gets seen long enough to absorb by drivers stuck in traffic behind a bus."Do you want to sell something to someone bored, irritated and who desperately doesn't want to be where they are? Well have we got a spot for you!".

Advertisers do seem to have realised this too - the most common ones are:

- vitamin adverts, the ones with "Here's a celebrity to endorse us but they're not *that* famous so we're going to put their name under them so you know they're not just a random stock picture" which I guess makes sense because if you're reading the ad you're almost certainly going to have a feeling of not being 100% for reasons you can't put your finger on
- sixth-form colleges, because they don't want to advertise to parents who aren't climb-y enough to put their kids on a bus, they want the ones who get stuck in traffic for an hour driving them to a school 8 miles away they've read has 0.1% better GCSE results
- "Be a bus driver!", because I suppose the thinking is they can trick people into thinking if they were driving the bus they'd be one place further ahead in the traffic jam

TBH I'm surprised there's not more gambling, share dealing, forex and cryptocoin ads (yes they are all basically the same thing), because they're all over the Tube, selling the dream of not having to commute any more. Also last time I was on the tube there was a shitload of "Missed out on dogecoin? Check out <some other cryptocoin>" which seems like it should be completely illegal for an advert but what do I know?

That last bit was Flokicoin and it got pulled from the tube after a ton of complaints/some investigation into whether it was legal. (I don't give a poo poo about crypto, it stuck in my head because TCR tube was plastered in that stupid ad for a week solid). Don't forget the baldness cure clinics/some new credit card for the small business entrepeneur ads too.
Friend of mine has a lot to do with college advertising, and all their budget goes into putting the ads on buses, because young 'uns about to go to college don't take the tube.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

JoylessJester posted:

I've been thinking about that a lot.

I think what will happen is that companies with offices on the edge of cities or outside them will sell those offices where they can; then other companies with expensive city centre offices will shut their expensive city centre office in order to buy the less expensive ones on the edge of the city that are now standing empty; then the empty city centre offices left behind will become the cheap and unsafe housing already mentioned. So companies will end up with small 'prestige' offices to take clients to and for executive meetings in city centres while the remaining office-based staff travel to/from the ones on the edges of the city