Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
Cool, thanks. Also I'm trying again to get Advanced Rocketry working again so if that pans out players won't need to deal with figuring out making oxygen - they'll just patch up the hole in the dome with some glass and reconnect power. But ok! I'll be clearer with my instructions and remove some of the ambiguity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Hi, excuse me All The Magic: Spellbound, but what the gently caress

This is one of the nine insane things you need to make a ProjectE Philosophers Stone. "Gated" is certainly a euphemism for it.

Echophonic fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Jan 31, 2022

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I need to know some intricacies of side-products from Gregtech pulverization in Omnifactory. Say I'm pulverizing granite for 1% thorium at ULV. The chance doubles for each tier. So if I'm actually using HV (ULV->LV->MV->HV), does that mean it's 4% or 8%? I want to know if that compounds per tier or does it multiply from the base rate. Does it just cut off at 100% for any given thing? My ore processing is HV tier too and I wonder about upgrading to IV.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Echophonic posted:

Hi, excuse me All The Magic: Spellbound, but what the gently caress

This is one of the nine insane things you need to make a ProjectE Philosophers Stone. "Gated" is certainly a euphemism for it.

I can't tell what those blocks are.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I need to know some intricacies of side-products from Gregtech pulverization in Omnifactory. Say I'm pulverizing granite for 1% thorium at ULV. The chance doubles for each tier. So if I'm actually using HV (ULV->LV->MV->HV), does that mean it's 4% or 8%? I want to know if that compounds per tier or does it multiply from the base rate. Does it just cut off at 100% for any given thing? My ore processing is HV tier too and I wonder about upgrading to IV.

i understand your base rate for pulv byproducts starts at HV and doubles from there, and will not rise past 100%.
this comes from a poorly remembered quest description though, i've not yet actually got my hv ore processors up.

do you have any use for coal? sourcing that from somewhere and centrifuging it will give appreciable amounts of thorium, and if coal is renewable (e.g. microverse) amd useful (e.g. fuel, turning into carbon, making phenol) then that could be handy

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Man, the amount of work happening to the 1.7.10 NEI version in GTNH is crazy.

Just about the only thing missing is the search tree style searching from JEI.

this is incredible

now if they could include a wiring calculator, because gregtech wiring rules simply Will Not Stick in my head...

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

McFrugal posted:

I can't tell what those blocks are.

They're blocks of allthemodium alloys, a bunch of other end-game magic stuff, and a star made of 55 blocks of concrete.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

this is incredible

now if they could include a wiring calculator, because gregtech wiring rules simply Will Not Stick in my head...

What kind of wiring, like, connecting generators to machines?

If so then this is roughly how it works:

* Cables have an amperage (A) rating and a voltage rating (EU/t). Exceeding either of these causes the wire to catch fire, and fires explode nearby machines.
* Machines have a voltage rating. If incoming energy exceeds this voltage rating, the machine explodes. However, they can withstand being on a cable with an arbitrarily high number of amps with no issue. Most machines consume a single amp, but others (like the arc furnace and thermal centrifuge) can take more.
* Multiple single block generators on a single wire output 1A per generator. As long as the amperage rating of the entire cable is equal to or higher than the number of generators, you will have no issue. Multiple amps of electricity don't automatically combine into a new tier of voltage; you need a transformer for this.
* Cables have a line loss. Each cable in a chain from the power generation source deducts its rated line loss from any amps of electricity before passing it on to the next cable or machine. Superconducting cables with 0 line loss exist, but aside from the LV version they are very expensive and may not be worth it.
* Machines that accept and retransmit energy (like battery buffers and transformers) also suffer loss equal to 2 ^ tier, with LV being tier 1, MV = tier 2, etc.
* Diode blocks exist that clamp the total number of amps drawn from a wire. (Machine hulls themselves act as 1A diodes.) These are largely useless outside of punching power through a cleanroom wall. They also suffer the same 2^tier loss as above.
* Line loss ratings vary from cable to cable, but in general you worry a lot about it in LV, some in MV, then in HV+ you largely don't give a poo poo. Line loss increases more slowly than voltage does. Who cares if a cable loses 1 EU/t per block if the voltage rating of the cable is 131,072 EU/t?

Or, to put it more simply:
* Overampping or overvolting a cable causes it to burn.
* Overvolting a machine causes it to explode.
* Line loss sucks at low tech levels; keep cables short. Consider using fluid pipes of fuel as "superconducting cables", with the generators as close to the things they're powering as possible.
* Try to use the bare minimum number of transformers, battery buffers, and diodes.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
Redstone Flux was better

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

it's more that the info never stays in my brain and i always fear my cables flashing into dust for no reason

if i have 16 1-amp machines on a circuit being fed by a 16-battery buffer i know i need 16x cable, but some small element of my mind rebels and refuses to accept this

but ty for the refresher it's always handy

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

it's more that the info never stays in my brain and i always fear my cables flashing into dust for no reason

if i have 16 1-amp machines on a circuit being fed by a 16-battery buffer i know i need 16x cable, but some small element of my mind rebels and refuses to accept this

but ty for the refresher it's always handy

That sounds more like anxiety than forgetfulness. This is why my instance rotates backups every half hour :v:

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Hmm.

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!

Shadragul posted:

Also, I accidentally placed down the oxygen compressor, and there's no access to a pickaxe until later, I assume after finding the pure daisy.

I have no idea how to pick up some of these machines period, even cheating in some absurd pickaxe is not working and the wrench just rotates it.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

i understand your base rate for pulv byproducts starts at HV and doubles from there, and will not rise past 100%.
this comes from a poorly remembered quest description though, i've not yet actually got my hv ore processors up.

do you have any use for coal? sourcing that from somewhere and centrifuging it will give appreciable amounts of thorium, and if coal is renewable (e.g. microverse) amd useful (e.g. fuel, turning into carbon, making phenol) then that could be handy
I just saw something about not getting any byproducts at all until HV tier since that's the first place you get the secondary slot. So now I wonder if the quoted 1% output starts at HV or if it's prorated from ULV. That is, at MV-tier, you won't get a byproduct. At HV tier, you'd get 8% or something. I suppose I could shut off output on a few of the machines for a second and see how it piles up.

Re: coal: I don't think that's the efficient method in Omnifactory for getting thorium. They push granite even in the Discord. I do have a sustainable means for coal generation and run the poo poo out of that through something like 11 pyrolyse ovens for phenol. I needed so much phenol at one point...

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Ash Rose posted:

I have no idea how to pick up some of these machines period, even cheating in some absurd pickaxe is not working and the wrench just rotates it.

In my experience some machines need to be picked up by shift-rightclicking with a wrench. Or left clicking with a wrench, in gregtech's case.

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!

McFrugal posted:

In my experience some machines need to be picked up by shift-rightclicking with a wrench. Or left clicking with a wrench, in gregtech's case.

oh my first instict was Shift+Right Click, nothing. I tried to see if I could break it with left click and no dice either.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Ash Rose posted:

Oh crap, that's my bad. I originally was going to have sealers be unbreakable but then decided to give them to the player and forgot to remove the 'you can't gently caress with this' script.

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!

Black Pants posted:

Oh crap, that's my bad. I originally was going to have sealers be unbreakable but then decided to give them to the player and forgot to remove the 'you can't gently caress with this' script.

Ok I assumed I was missing something obvious, lmao. I got up the quest where you make an infusion crystal, and my general opinions are:

1. Farming in zero-g is hell, I have to chase after everything after I harvest/rotate in better seeds for agricraft.
2. There should probably be some more info on getting started with Botanica. I know well enough to make a couple of the 'burn stuff for mana" flowers and those serve your needs perfectly well for the first batch of seeds, but someone less versed might need some help in figuring out the various steps in making the seeds (get a mana pool, get some generating flowers, get a couple spreaders, heres how you do the rituals, etc.)
3.Probably point out the oxygen compressors in the air-lock, I can see folks missing them and thinking they have to make the tanks they have last until they can make their own oxygen.
4. I just kind of set up in the plains biome due to ease of access to dirt and found no reason to venture out except getting exactly 1 glowstone for glowstone seeds and some snow to make water. Would be neat to have more reasons to go to the other domes (though maybe there is and I haven't seen it yet.

Hope it doesn't feel like all the feedback I give is negative, this stuff is really cool and the map is great.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Nah negative feedback is helpful. I didn't post it looking for praise or anything, the alpha was specifically because I needed people other than myself to tell me what's wrong with it before I got too deep into things. I can't know how other people will do or react to things, so I appreciate the time spent on it.

Anyway, like I said I'm making a new station. The 'there's no reason to go to X' thing is a good point, so I'll be approaching this based on that rather than just building for spectacle :P. Less unnecessary space will probably fix the Advanced Rocketry problem I was having too, heh.

Also sweet, looks like the guy working on the community edition of Matter Overdrive got the Omnitool fixed, which means I can give that to the player as a high-tech mining laser.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Omnifactory stuff:

I was trying to figure out what to do with all this Californium-250 and discovered the RTG. Is it typical to end up just making walls of your base out of that stuff? I have something like 2,000+ isotopes of them and could do a block per hit from them, and that just grows and grows.

How do people tend to balance consumption of some of the other isotopes? I think I need to start switching to highly-enriched fuels or else the related isotopes will continue to just grow out of control compared to the base isotope that makes the fuels.

No disregarding Nuclearcraft, I am in something of a dilemma with the assembly line. They're pretty resource-intensive right now so I don't think I can do my classic "make a machine for every single thing" with them (yet). The quest book implies that you can rig them up with all kinds of recipes at once with PackageAuto. If I recall, I then need an assembly line to even get started on that (?). So is the general path here starting out with manual operation, AE2 integration, and then maybe making one per thing later?

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I can't imagine RTGs being worth anything by the time you finally get access to them, except in the most extremely low-throughput subsystems. The amount of power you reasonably need is so high that they wouldn't even be a drop in the bucket.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
That's probably the normal take but I haven't stumbled into fusion yet. Meanwhile, I have over 2,000 californium-250 that has literally no use for me. I had set up a big thorium reactor that can pretty much feed a signalum conduit, and then all the side products just kept getting recycled in a separate breeder reactor. Over the past two weeks or so, I've wound up with all that by-product.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Have you set aside 500 of each solidified fuel type for your omium? You should see it on one of the tabs; you don't want to enrich all the fuel all the way up.

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

Yeah, you need to solidifying a ton of stuff into balls for omnium, including every nuclear element. RTGs aren't worth it either, the other stuff needed to make them is worth more to be used else where.

You can do all the packagedauto stuff before asslines, and it's really recommended you set up packagedauto for them. You can also use packagedauto with normal recipes, not just the ones too large for normal crafting. That way you can use one packager/unpackager to dump everything into one until you start having dedicated lines.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I will check but I think I did. I at least have 128 of each.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

INSUFFICIENT BALLS

Shadragul
Feb 17, 2020

Patently Ridiculous

Ash Rose posted:

Ok I assumed I was missing something obvious, lmao. I got up the quest where you make an infusion crystal, and my general opinions are:

2. There should probably be some more info on getting started with Botanica. I know well enough to make a couple of the 'burn stuff for mana" flowers and those serve your needs perfectly well for the first batch of seeds, but someone less versed might need some help in figuring out the various steps in making the seeds (get a mana pool, get some generating flowers, get a couple spreaders, heres how you do the rituals, etc.)
3.Probably point out the oxygen compressors in the air-lock, I can see folks missing them and thinking they have to make the tanks they have last until they can make their own oxygen.

Oh, number 3 was a huge oversight on my part. I definitely didn't see the oxygen compressors in the air-lock and had that exact thought that I'd have to make the 4 original tanks last.

On number 2, the JEI recipe for floral fertilizer shows the use of an alchemy array, which I've been able to parse as requiring arcane ashes, which I have, but no amount of drawing the array on the ground and using either bonemeal or flowers cause a change in the array. How does that recipe actually work?

I'm digging the concept of this pack, I'm just not familiar enough with the mods to get through the progression.

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!

Shadragul posted:

On number 2, the JEI recipe for floral fertilizer shows the use of an alchemy array, which I've been able to parse as requiring arcane ashes, which I have, but no amount of drawing the array on the ground and using either bonemeal or flowers cause a change in the array. How does that recipe actually work?

So you use the item on the left in the JEI recipe on the circle with right lick then the one over the line in the middle the same way to get the output on the right. The circle seems wasted if you do any step of that wrong so get rid of it.

Shadragul
Feb 17, 2020

Patently Ridiculous

Ash Rose posted:

So you use the item on the left in the JEI recipe on the circle with right lick then the one over the line in the middle the same way to get the output on the right. The circle seems wasted if you do any step of that wrong so get rid of it.

Many thanks. I was expecting a visual indication on the circle after applying the first item, so the fact that it doesn't change made me think nothing was happening.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Something I learned about minecraft recently:

https://i.imgur.com/sVH2Ewq.mp4

Minecraft has a built in calculator.

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012
Messing around with the current state of Enigmatica 6 Expert mode and, uh, unlocking the game stage to be able to form certain IE multi block structures is brutal.

Like one of 9 ingredients is running a mekanism cardboard box through create’s sequence assembly line thing, so not terribly difficult, but it is like 6 deployers that need 500 ingredients each. Though, like I said, this is only 1 of 9 and while the other 8 don’t need 3000 ingredients they’re not really all that great either.

It also doesn’t help that I asked for an easy way to get Thrasher Teeth and the response I got in discord was to use IE’s excavator. I just wanted 3 teeth so I could do a dumb magic ritual so I could summon a dumb boss. So I could progress in blood magic.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

You're playing the 'expert mode' which just means added grind...

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Yeah this honestly sounds like the solution is dont play Gurg mode

Dr. Chainsaws PhD
May 21, 2011

there are so many expert mode packs. i want an easy mode pack. i want a full stack of diamonds on day 2

actually now that i think about it, this was just big dig from technic

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!

Dr. Chainsaws PhD posted:

there are so many expert mode packs. i want an easy mode pack. i want a full stack of diamonds on day 2

Big Dig loving ruled.

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan

It’s funny. I think this way from time to time, but when I stop and really think about it, Omnifactory has ruined me forever. I think, well, in whatever pack, all these diamonds are worthless! I wonder what I could possibly look forward to if it isn’t a soul-crushing exponential resource race toward even more insane production ad infinitum :bang:

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

It's called project e and you can pry that mod from my cold dead hands

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Birds revere you and consider you one of their own.

You are welcome in their holy places.

I started making a pack that had you starting in a dimension filled with diamond blocks for terrain, but there's no trees, and recipes have been altered so nearly everything useful you could do with diamonds was far away anyway.

Dr. Chainsaws PhD
May 21, 2011

Xun posted:

It's called project e and you can pry that mod from my cold dead hands

loving love project e. i LOVE cheating

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Lordshmee posted:

It’s funny. I think this way from time to time, but when I stop and really think about it, Omnifactory has ruined me forever. I think, well, in whatever pack, all these diamonds are worthless! I wonder what I could possibly look forward to if it isn’t a soul-crushing exponential resource race toward even more insane production ad infinitum :bang:

I'm playing New Horizons now, and every time I look at it abstractly I have to admit, yeah, this is a horrible grind with almost no actual rewards, but at the same time I keep booting it up for 30 minutes just to run around making some circuits or something and then take a break again. There's something kind of relaxing about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

Yeah, I've also slowed down my OF playing because I've been side tracked by making real life circuits, and also because I've reach naquadah boules and SoC so I need to restructure my circuit auto crafting again, and also a bunch of other autocrafting. Lot of stuff to rejigger cause I also want to throw in level emitters so that's a whole other thing to squeeze in. I still haven't set up true passive autocrafting of microminer parts which I definitely need to do. Need to get them dragon eggs.