Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Why do you read this thread anyway?
This poll is closed.
I enjoy reading contemporary newspaper comics. 64 26.02%
I hate reading contemporary newspaper comics. 42 17.07%
I enjoy reading historical newspaper comics. 88 35.77%
I enjoy reading newspaper comics from foreign countries. 52 21.14%
Total: 246 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Garfield

Heathcliff

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Compu-toon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
One of my pet-peeves is the hand thing in FOOB. It annoys me to no end.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Fingerpori

Untranslatable Fingerpori

The original Finnish is "muista anoa". "Anoa" means to apply, to beg, to petition. "Ano" is also a rare Finnish male first name, and the partitive form of Ano is Anoa. "Muista" is also an expression for sending someone birthday greetings, a present or something similar. Like literally "remember someone".

So the joke can be either "remember to apply" or "remember Ano and send him a present".

As an aside, Ano Turtiainen is a Finnish far right politician who is constantly skirting our hate crime laws, which I'm sure is extremely surprising based on his appearance alone.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Tina's Groove Classic (March 30, 2010)

Arlo and Janis Classic (March 30, 2000)

Garfield Classic (March 30, 1990)

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
Steeple: Clotted Crime Part 4 - Jason YANK! CONK! SLAM!

John Allison's Patreon John Allison's Gumroad store
Steeple website

We'll get four comic pages this week as Clotted Crime concludes.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Zombi

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 1/30/02

Brenda Starr 1/29-31/48

Smokey Stover 12/2/45

Everyday Movies 10/18/34

"No, I didn't unpack anything since this morning -- I'm exhausted trying to think up a color scheme for this new place."

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Jul. 17, 1949)

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
"Don't laugh at the kid, we were all young and inexperienced once."

Val is a cool dude.

Classic Kevin & Kell in: introductions (August 15-21, 2005)

Modern Kevin & Kell

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

EasyEW posted:

Funky Winkerbean

I feel like we get a series of Music Educator's Conference strips every month or so. Is this coming slowly turning into the Harry Dinkle Universe Featuring Les Moore?

riderchop posted:

For Better or For Worse

Enjoy having to eat crow the next time your back explodes and you need Michael to drive his sister somewhere!

BigglesSWE posted:

One of my pet-peeves is the hand thing in FOOB. It annoys me to no end.

Extreme "poo poo what do I do with my hands" energy.

Green Intern fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Jan 31, 2022

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

riderchop posted:

For Better or For Worse

As this continues, I'm still struggling to think what the kid did wrong.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Mr. Squishy posted:

As this continues, I'm still struggling to think what the kid did wrong.
Apparently he was not supposed to get on the freeway? I mean, he was not making another stop which is what I think of when I hear "straight home" but they're acting like it was a mistake.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
he was goofing around in a sports car and drove farther than he needed to and that made him miss his turn then he got lost

he in no way came "straight home"

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I hesitate to comment on parenting too much because I’m not a parent and have no idea what I’d do with my son in a situation like this. But losing the car for six months because Michael got on the freeway seems ridiculously excessive.

(I’m aware of Lyn’s “angels told her to let her kid come in from frigid temperatures” story.)

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

I hesitate to comment on parenting too much because I’m not a parent and have no idea what I’d do with my son in a situation like this. But losing the car for six months because Michael got on the freeway seems ridiculously excessive.

(I’m aware of Lyn’s “angels told her to let her kid come in from frigid temperatures” story.)

Dr Dad DDS is suggesting that Michael loses access to HIS car, meaning the sports car, for six months. He can still drive Mom's Boring Wagon to bring his sister to practice and w/e

It's still excessive though, yes

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

The Bloop posted:

Dr Dad DDS is suggesting that Michael loses access to HIS car, meaning the sports car, for six months. He can still drive Mom's Boring Wagon to bring his sister to practice and w/e

Oh, I missed that detail. It's not Dustin levels of injustice or anything, though.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail

Popcom

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

The facial expressions in the last two panels of Val are just masterpieces.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

The Bloop posted:

the whole car was a basically irresponsible purchase and the best way to handle this is to just do a ton of ride-alongs until you're sure the kid has a handle on how powerful it is, as well as a job to pay off the speeding ticket he's inevitably going to get the second you turn your back

it's just extremely unreasonable expectations territory

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
That "looks around smiling" panel is beautiful in its own way.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Yeah, it's important to recognize that Dr Foobdad is less mad about Michael driving around as much as he is mad that Michael went driving in his precious midlife crisis mobile, the one everyone told him was a stupid and irresponsible purchase. Michael hasn't yet earned the right to be as dumb and careless as his dad (according to his dad).

Breaking Cat News is in reruns this week while Georgia Dunn takes some time off.
She posted on Twitter that her editor decided this week would be a "Lupin's Greatest Hits" week instead of the normal straight-through week of reruns we normally would get.
So enjoy this RIP Lupin week!

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Curtis

Are we still loving doing this? And didn't Curtis basically poo poo all over Michelle for being a "likes addict" in this strip like six months ago?

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
I am surprised that Wilbur is getting what he deserves...but it's Monday. I expect to be disappointed again by Sunday. (Also adding my voice to the "Shut the hell up, Mary" chorus. Maybe this is the week that Estelle finally lays into her for her crap advice.)

Vargo posted:

Yeah, it's important to recognize that Dr Foobdad is less mad about Michael driving around as much as he is mad that Michael went driving in his precious midlife crisis mobile, the one everyone told him was a stupid and irresponsible purchase. Michael hasn't yet earned the right to be as dumb and careless as his dad (according to his dad).

About 20 years ago, when I was in driver's ed/learner's permit mode, my dad bought a Jeep Wrangler as his midlife crisis "I always wanted one of those" car. I have driven it once since then, for a grand total of two miles (And I think he doesn't know about that drive to this day.) Losing access to a sports car for 6 months doesn't even register for me.

quote:

Breaking Cat News is in reruns this week while Georgia Dunn takes some time off.
Wallace the Brave

I didn't expect a second week off of this setup. Fantastic. (Also I really liked how the fourth graders referenced hijacking the school's PA last week. Nice bit of continuity.)

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

Storm P

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

The Bloop posted:

I think a simple "You agreed to these terms and you didn't live up to them, so you will not be driving my car for a couple weeks" is more reasonable for this infraction. Especially since it seems he doesn't get to drive it much anyways, which is why it was such a treat to get to tool around in it.

The dad is definitely overly protective of his mid-life crisis mobile and should probably let his son take it out a little more often so when he gets the chance to it's not such a big deal.

F Minus

Mark Trail

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Vater und Sohn: Great-grandpa, grandfather, father and child... (49/1936)

Christmas is coming!

The title is a reference to a 19th century poem about four generations of women musing on the following day's holiday and their lot in life - child and mother are looking forward to tomorrow, for grandmother it's a day of work like any other, and great-grandmother feels on death's door. Then lightning strikes and kills them all.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

dudes gonna get his rear end sued out of existence for using the term cronut

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Murdstone posted:

The Phantom

*for the convenience of those who came in late!, here's Savarna sensuously lathering up her exotic curves

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

Something about these kids seems familiar...

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Uramachi Sakaba: an unusual three-pager:

Spoiled for a lil' bit of horniness, just in case:

ChaCha Chako

Night Visitors

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Is that suppose to be a black guy in that final frame?

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
The Far Side

Pickles

Zits

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...

Crab Dad posted:

Is that suppose to be a black guy in that final frame?
He's a regular and turns up a lot. I'm honestly not sure - skin tone aside, he reads pretty ethnically ambiguous to me, and there's a strong tradition in manga of drawing Japanese people with lips like that too. :shrug: That might be me being an apologist, though.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Giant Ethicist posted:

He's a regular and turns up a lot. I'm honestly not sure - skin tone aside, he reads pretty ethnically ambiguous to me, and there's a strong tradition in manga of drawing Japanese people with lips like that too. :shrug: That might be me being an apologist, though.

being it's a different culture I'm not actually offended since he's not played as a clown/buffoon.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass is on break.

Old School Peanuts (May 2, 1953)

Calvin and Hobbes (Aug 29-30, 1990)

Blind Alley

Support Adam's Patreon here.

:crossarms:

I love how many deeply weird elements there are to this strip and how understated they all are.

readingatwork fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Feb 1, 2022

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

I'll give Holbrook some credit, I do like how the third panel only shows Kevin's "snout" to show how he's reminding Kell of RL.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Twelve by Pies posted:

I'll give Holbrook some credit, I do like how the third panel only shows Kevin's "snout" to show how he's reminding Kell of RL.

Yeah that's really uncharacteristically subtle

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

an admin fat fingered a permaban and all i got was this lousy av

Selachian posted:

Brenda Starr 1/29-31/48

Oh, the Camp Fire Girls! Started "unofficially" in 1910, the Camp Fire Girls were created as female counterpart to the Boy Scouts, and predate the Girl Scouts (originally called Girl Guides) by two years. It went co-ed in 1975 and is now called Camp Fire Boys and Girls. They don't have the same brand awareness as the Boy Scouts or the Girl Scouts, on account of not selling stuff like cookies or pop corn, but they're still around. Former Camp Fire Girls include Madonna, Shirley Temple, Gladys Knight, and Janis Joplin. I was also one, but we didn't do outdoor stuff and I never made it past Bluebird.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Mutts

Sally Forth

Pearls Before Swine

Skippy (May 15, 1934)

Peanuts (February 3, 1975)

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (September 1, 1938)

Out Our Way (March 3-5, 1938)

Toonerville Folks (September 5-7, 1918)

Dok's Dippy Counterattack (December 18, 1913)

Little Lefty (January 9-10, 12, 1936)

So who is the "old friend" they're talking about? Well, you'll have to wait a little bit longer because...

This is the week the Sunday Worker started, which looks shockingly close to a regular Sunday paper, albeit with a very unique editorial slant. There's a sports page, a movie review (a glowing review for Chaplin's Modern Times), and a Sunday magazine, which is where the comic strips live.

And Little Lefty on Sunday? It looks like a Little Lefty dropped in from any other day. Literally, in this case.

But since I brought it up a couple of days ago, you're probably wondering about It Can't Happen Here: The Comic Strip, based on the Sinclair Lewis novel. So let's take a taste of that, as illustrated and heavily condensed by Ned Hilton.

(Retyped because microfilm processing doesn't do the tiny typeface any favors.)

Blondie (From Zero) promised us that Dagwood was taking a trip to the punchsport pagoda, but it's taking its sweet-rear end time getting around to it. (August 10-12, 1931)

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Feb 1, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I can't believe I chose the absolute worst month to take a thread holiday.

Nekonaughey

Bogor

The Phantom