Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

yeah wonder why

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

blunt posted:

And yet if you even mention the word writer in the AEW thread half the posters will insist writers are the cancer that killed WWE :shrug:

The solution is to visit that thread as rarely as possible aside from MRT's posts

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Gonz posted:

One of my favorite "The WWE is a lovely workplace" stories ever was when Patrice O'Neal explained that he once got fired by Stephanie 7 TIMES in the span of a day.

Patrice, who was on the writing team back in 2000, had a scheduling conflict between his job writing for WWE and his standup comedy career. He told Stephanie earlier in the day about it, and she was incredulous that he'd choose his standup gig over the WWE.

He went to the standup gig, missed the WWE show, and Stephanie called him up and fired him.

Because he was so apathetic about the firing, she called him 6 more times over the course of the rest of the evening to fire him....6 more times.

I can't imagine anybody in that writing room, especially now, enjoying their job or enjoying coming to work. It's probably even worse nowadays as Vince goes progressively more and more insane.

I mean, the people in the writing room know what they signed up for and are enjoying some decent checks and largely don't care. It's the 1099s contracted to throw poo poo out and then get told lol no that are sad.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.

blunt posted:

And yet if you even mention the word writer in the AEW thread half the posters will insist writers are the cancer that killed WWE :shrug:

i don't want failed sitcom writers and floundering standups who subsist on doing podcast loops for their friends who are also failed sitcom writers and floundering standups doing anything in pro wrestling

i do want people who know pro wrestling doing collaborative creative work which is what AEW is already doing

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
yeah, there's a significant difference between writers and agents/producers and the reason why people push back against writers is in that difference

additionally writers get brought up in the aew thread mainly surrounding how some wrestlers don't end up on tv often, but not only is that a thing solved better by agents/producers shifting focuses but also it's a problem of just having very limited time weekly to do Everything both ongoing and new

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

flatluigi posted:

yeah, there's a significant difference between writers and agents/producers and the reason why people push back against writers is in that difference

Sure, but the reason I specifically quoted that anecdote was because it was highlighting that in WWE the agents/producers are the problem.

The Cameo posted:

I believe Cody specifically mentioned approaching a writer backstage to brainstorm some Stardust stuff many years ago now and the dude just pretended he was typing the stuff down despite the fact that Cody could clearly see the laptop wasn’t even on

After a certain point most of the writers realize their entire job isn’t to actually do what the job description said it’s to sit in a conference room for unbelievable hours, get made fun of by the agents, be forced to watch Vince and others eat before they’re allowed to break for a meal and hit up catering, get told their ideas are stupid and won’t work (unless, like the mentioned Otis/Mandy story, it tickles Vince in just the right way and he lets you go off and handle it yourself), and so on.

poo poo, the way Freddie Prinze Jr. describes it, it seems like getting Vince to like a pitch you made is even more of a kiss of death because then like all the loving agents backstage start trying to gently caress with you, making it difficult to find available cameras or an empty spot in the backstage area to shoot it, all to make sure you don’t actually impress Vince and potentially wrest a modicum of control of things out of their hands. The woman who managed to get the Otis and Mandy love story off the ground and on air pulled off a miracle. Either the locker room managed to pull some sort of coordinated distraction of enough agents for them to get things in the can or the agents wrongly expected it would bomb as a story before it even started and didn’t monkey wrench things. I suspect the latter.

Actually, I wonder if there was a perceivable drop in quality that could be measured as guys like Arn and Malenko were fired or quit, the way particular types of women were hired in Johnny Ace’s first run that immediately ceased being the majority of new women talent once he was kicked out of that job.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

blunt posted:

Sure, but the reason I specifically quoted that anecdote was because it was highlighting that in WWE the agents/producers are the problem.

yes, I read it as well, but i don't have your apparent takeaway that agents/producers are inherently bad and should be replaced by writers in aew

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

anyone on the fence just needs to look at the products every week to see which method has better results

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Wwe backstage is a unique kind of hell.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

blunt posted:

They're a problem because Vince has fostered a culture where being a backstabbing sycophant is seen as a positive thing and the best way to keep your job, not because being an agent or producer is inherently a bad thing

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

flatluigi posted:

yes, I read it as well, but i don't have your apparent takeaway that agents/producers are inherently bad and should be replaced by writers in aew

That's not what I'm saying, I'm suggesting that outside the toxicity of WWE it's possible that writers and agents working together might create a better TV show than the sum of their parts.

It's not an either/or situation, not sure why you're being so absolutist.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
This broth is pretty tasty but what it really needs is more cooks

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
and i'm saying (and so was the conversation in the aew thread that you were throwing shade at) that writers don't add anything that a good agent/producer already does. when you have someone who can come up with ideas and also how to portray storytelling in and outside a match, why add someone who can only do part of that to the mix?

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

blunt posted:

That's not what I'm saying, I'm suggesting that outside the toxicity of WWE it's possible that writers and agents working together might create a better TV show than the sum of their parts.

It's not an either/or situation, not sure why you're being so absolutist.

The reason why people are down on writers scripting promos in wrestling (specifically WWE) is that for many decades previously, wrestlers were basically allowed to do their own thing naturally. Some could cut a great promo with only having talking points they were told to hit by whoever was booking the show. Some couldn't, and either floundered or else got paired with a manager or partner that cut promos for them. But they were more natural because whatever they were saying, wasn't some crap written by someone who couldn't cut it as a sitcom writer, or some horseshit Vince scribbled down after tearing up a script he didn't like. There's a reason Moxley said "I'm never reading from a script again" in his book.

As the one poster said, you need only look at AEW's approach vs. WWE's approach to see which one works and which one doesn't. Subtracting writers isn't going to automatically make WWE better, but there's absolutely no reason to ever add them to AEW or any other wrestling show, either.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
AEW should pay us to write for them. I'm cooking up some innnnteresting things with my new fantasy dream sequence Danhausen Vs Ricky Starks.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

As someone who has been skeptical of the suggestion of hiring writers, I think people are associating writers with overproduction, artificiality, and things having to go through seventeen drafts. If AEW's problem is that some people don't make it to TV because there's too much stuff and they're not confident enough to advocate for themselves, then having writers feels like an additional layer of bureaucracy between the wrestler and their idea being on TV.

I think it's valid to say that writers don't have to be like this, that they could be proactively trying to enable the talent, but that's also a function that could be done by the existing structure of coaches, agents, and producers.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

drat they're showing this re-run again. where is sheldon!!!

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

reignofevil posted:

AEW should pay us to write for them. I'm cooking up some innnnteresting things with my new fantasy dream sequence Danhausen Vs Ricky Starks.

you guys are getting paid???

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Lamuella posted:

As someone who has been skeptical of the suggestion of hiring writers, I think people are associating writers with overproduction, artificiality, and things having to go through seventeen drafts. If AEW's problem is that some people don't make it to TV because there's too much stuff and they're not confident enough to advocate for themselves, then having writers feels like an additional layer of bureaucracy between the wrestler and their idea being on TV.

I think it's valid to say that writers don't have to be like this, that they could be proactively trying to enable the talent, but that's also a function that could be done by the existing structure of coaches, agents, and producers.

Exactly. It's not like a normal TV show where they are basically writing for the same characters week in and week out (unless it's WWE :v:), there's a rotating cast that sometimes has to step in on short notice due to injuries, etc., so either you have to hurriedly rewrite whatever promo/scene originally featured the wrestler who got hurt, or you don't script it at all and trust the replacement wrestler to do their best to wing it naturally.

Like I'm pretty sure there have been examples in the last decade or so of a WWE worker replacing someone in an angle where it was pretty clear they were saying the poo poo that was scripted for the original person.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Rarity posted:

This broth is pretty tasty but what it really needs is more cooks

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

There is, surprisingly, always hope.

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

you guys are getting paid???

look at the adjective: Invoice.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Lamuella posted:

If AEW's problem is that some people don't make it to TV because there's too much stuff and they're not confident enough to advocate for themselves

It's not, the problem is AEW has a very competitive roster and some wrestlers just aren't good enough to make TV

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

I feel like those two statements can both be true.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

the problem is that AEW programming doesn't have enough hours on tv yet.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Zzzzzzzz

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Destroy My Sweater
Jul 24, 2009

hold up

kenny dykstra is a producer at wwe???

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

John Cena is very good in Peacemaker. Hope he gets lots of roles. I watched The Marine this morning. Film was pants but again Cena was good. Funny seeing him in another thing with Robert Patrick after all these years.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

hosed up that there’s a wrestler named Kenny Dykstra and a baseball player named Lenny Dykstra.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

Starting to think WWE’s best days are behind them

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/Fightful/status/1488130707612332033?s=20&t=PR4vC-aJJ4aSdcYTwsElng

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Good to see them getting the younger talent over

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Is Stephanie still in mourning or has she been booked to make her triumphant return in the Divas division

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

can't wait, love seeing this dude get gassed walking to the ring

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
Shane is the same age now as Vince was back in 1998.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Quantum of Phallus posted:

can't wait, love seeing this dude get gassed walking to the ring

just a giant scarlet man in his mid fifties, wearing a baseball jersey and sweating out of his eyes.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Hell yeah time for some NXT fuckers to sell for his patented Shane Punches

zetamind2000 fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Jan 31, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

This time, Shane is finally going to make Vince love him