Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Buck Turgidson posted:

arch linux has to be a troll right? you install this thing and half the packages are in the aur, so then you need to install what's essentially another package manager, then it's a diceroll as to whether the packages fail to build or break in a day or two, and you have to waste time troubleshooting

like if you're going to install a second package manager you might as well use debian and install nix/guix, which probably won't break horribly, and can be rolled back instantly if they do.

what maniac actually uses this shiiit?

just use fedora if you want an up-to-date, but working distro, op

arch is for people who's hobby is janitoring this poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

what packages have you had break because over the last two years or so i haven't had any problems

the only arch packaging annoyance i have is it seems like they've got a new colonel update roughly every 30ms. i need to reboot pretty quick after doing those updates or else i forget and some stuff will stop working (like usb sticks won't mount properly) until i finally remember to reboot

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
well the two funniest breakages so far have been:

paru, an aur helper and

yay, an aur helper

there were a few other things but it doesn't matter, moved on already. just wanted to give arch a spin

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

pseudorandom name posted:

also pkexec doesn't have the interpreter, it asks polkitd via dbus if the action is allowed and polkitd does the javascript evaluation

since they own Linux and have a bunch of experience with it, IBM should slide Mach in underneath so they can switch infrastructure like this from D-Bus to real kernel-facilitated IPC

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

eschaton posted:

since they own Linux and have a bunch of experience with it, IBM should slide Mach in underneath so they can switch infrastructure like this from D-Bus to real kernel-facilitated IPC
Mods? Mods!

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

lsmod
insmod
modprobe

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

The_Franz posted:

just use fedora if you want an up-to-date, but working distro, op

arch is for people who's hobby is janitoring this poo poo

if you want an up to date distro you probably want the wrong thing. in particular fedora is never the correct choice

however agreed that arch is most like a collection of binaries that nobody will try to stop you from turning into a working system. use debian or ubuntu lts if you want something that works

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Buck Turgidson posted:

arch linux has to be a troll right? you install this thing and half the packages are in the aur, so then you need to install what's essentially another package manager, then it's a diceroll as to whether the packages fail to build or break in a day or two, and you have to waste time troubleshooting

like if you're going to install a second package manager you might as well use debian and install nix/guix, which probably won't break horribly, and can be rolled back instantly if they do.

what maniac actually uses this shiiit?

arch linux is fun, op

but also if you're using the AUR yeah all bets are off, that's by design. u dont need a package manager for it either tbqh which can help for cases like this one

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

arch Linux is for people who think operating systems are supposed to be fun

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

that's right. im not recommending u use it to host servers or whatever. but if u like computers while hating them, it's good

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
there are two groups of linux users

1. people who use computers as a means to some end (consuming entertainment media, performing compensated labor etc)
2. people whose hobby is installing and configuring computer software

there are a lot of linux distributions that primarily cater to group number 2. i would suggest they find a more fulfilling hobby and stop misrepresenting their efforts as something useful to group number 1.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

no

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Arch linux has been working great for me since ~2015, and it's been much less annoying to janitor than my macbook and my windows desktop. I think it's only really "broken" once (and was easy to fix once I checked /r/archlinux), and it doesn't get in my way if I ever want to do something kinda complicated. Sorry if you've had a bad experience with it though OP :shrug:

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
What sort of janitoring do you do on a Mac exactly

I mean unless you're doing any kind of software development, in which case apple absolutely hates you and wants you to suffer

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

VikingofRock posted:

Arch linux has been working great for me since ~2015, and it's been much less annoying to janitor than my macbook and my windows desktop. I think it's only really "broken" once (and was easy to fix once I checked /r/archlinux), and it doesn't get in my way if I ever want to do something kinda complicated. Sorry if you've had a bad experience with it though OP :shrug:

hi ive missed ur c++ posts !!!

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

I'm considering installing Arch Linux on an old beater laptop as a learning experience. Am I an idiot?

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

it'll be a good time

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Lady Radia posted:

Thanks! I'm trying to spend less time online (including on SA), but I still lurk YOSPOS — I should catch up on the terrible programmer's thread and effortpost there more. I always loved that community.

Sapozhnik posted:

What sort of janitoring do you do on a Mac exactly

I mean unless you're doing any kind of software development, in which case apple absolutely hates you and wants you to suffer

It was the software development, of course. Also, my recollection is that things used to break for me when I'd update the OS, but nowadays I mostly use my linux laptop so it's a moot point. Also I think my macbook got EoL'd at some point.

The Wisest Moron posted:

I'm considering installing Arch Linux on an old beater laptop as a learning experience. Am I an idiot?

I definitely learned a bit from my initial arch set-up -- mostly it's not stuff that is useful day-to-day, but also the knowledge has helped me a few times. I say go for it!

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
I use Gentoo btw.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Lady Radia posted:

You're a very generous grader

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

mystes posted:

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

VikingofRock posted:

I definitely learned a bit from my initial arch set-up -- mostly it's not stuff that is useful day-to-day, but also the knowledge has helped me a few times. I say go for it!

Sweet, time to go break some poo poo

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine

mystes posted:

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

mystes posted:

oh my god

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

mystes posted:

Lol

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

installing Arch is nothing more than unzipping a tar file onto your hard drive.

install Gentoo

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Baxate posted:

installing Arch is nothing more than unzipping a tar file onto your hard drive.

install Gentoo

I thought that was slackware

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker

The Wisest Moron posted:

Yes, Arch is just a more or less polished version of 20+ year old ideas.

Install NixOS instead and experience unpolished versions of ideas from 20 years in the future.

AUR is such a goddamn unprincipled mess that I have no idea why it keeps getting brought up as a good feature.

RocketLunatic
May 6, 2005
i love lamp.
I read about NixOS last week, and I just don’t get it. Like the idea from a tech janitor perspective kind of makes sense - needing an ability to test critical software before upgrading.

But the nightmare of being ability to install thousands of variations of the same package does not solve that problem. And trying to remember to call the right package for the particular tool you are trying to test. just a mess.

Why not just standardize libraries as a distro? Why not just have a testing instance of your server or whatever? Why does solving a real problem involve a complicated nightmarish new distro?

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

RocketLunatic posted:

Why not just standardize libraries as a distro?

oh wow, you've solved software, you should go out in the world and tell them to just standardize things

RocketLunatic
May 6, 2005
i love lamp.

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

oh wow, you've solved software, you should go out in the world and tell them to just standardize things

I will, good sir. Also it is why I use the superior MacOS which has this feature already.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Athas posted:

Yes, Arch is just a more or less polished version of 20+ year old ideas.

Install NixOS instead and experience unpolished versions of ideas from 20 years in the future.

AUR is such a goddamn unprincipled mess that I have no idea why it keeps getting brought up as a good feature.

quote:

Declarative configuration model

In NixOS, the entire operating system – the kernel, applications, system packages, configuration files, and so on – is built by the Nix package manager from a description in a functional build language. This means that building a new configuration cannot overwrite previous configurations.[12]

A NixOS system is configured by writing a specification of the functionality that the user wants on their machine in a global configuration file. For instance, here is a minimal configuration of a machine running an SSH daemon:[13]

{
boot.loader.grub.device = "/dev/sda";
fileSystems."/".device = "/dev/sda1";
services.sshd.enable = true;
}

After changing the configuration file, the system can be updated using the nixos-rebuild switch command. This command does everything necessary to apply the new configuration, including downloading and compiling packages and generating configuration files.

oh mama :swoon:

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

nixos is solving 2005's problems with next generation technology. the future is immutable /, not getting better at munging your install

also nixpkgs is basically The Ring as a software repo

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Nomnom Cookie posted:

the future is immutable /,

go on...

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
the sequel to slashdot

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Immutable /usr really. I use Fedora Silverblue on my desktop and I like it a lot. Toolbox containers for command line tools, Podman containers for dev servers, Flatpak containers for desktop applications. System upgrades build a new hidden /usr in the background and you switch to it by rebooting.

The version for servers is called Fedora CoreOS but that's very much a some-assembly-required sort of deal.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

i'm gonna laugh my rear end off when immutable filesystem root leads to linux reinventing /cfg like nanobsd had in 2005

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

/cfg sounds good to me op

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
We'll call it /etc2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

post hole digger posted:

/cfg sounds good to me op
nanobsds implementation is a good idea for an appliance (it's what every freebsd-based appliance started using after nanobsd introduced it) - it's just amusing to me that linux is reinventing it in 202X

Antigravitas posted:

We'll call it /etc2
seems like a good idea to me