Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

gradenko_2000 posted:

It used to be that if you were friends with "someone you disagree with politically", there was a good chance that it didn't really have a practical effect on your life. Someone might support the concentration camps on the border, either as a Democrat or Republican, and it didn't matter to you, because, well, you're not an immigrant caught up in America's dragnet.

Indeed, this is why the right would repeatedly cloak the conversation as simply a "political disagreement" - that you shouldn't cut someone out of your life for being a Trump voter, because they might be perfectly nice to you in all of your personal interactions, so what did it matter? But people who are minorities have known for a long time that this isn't really the case.

What COVID has done, is make this kind of position intractable. If you are friends with someone who doesn't believe COVID is real, doesn't believe in getting vaccinated for COVID, etc., then they stand a pretty good chance of maiming and/or killing you, should you ever have a face-to-face interaction with them. It becomes far more important

Further, it's expanded the reach of the problem: even privileged portions of the population are having to suffer the effects of people that they "politically disagree with".

As well, with the expanding esoterica of the correct knowledge and practice to avoid COVID, the number of people who are "doing it right" continues to grow ever smaller. It's not enough that you cut out Racist Uncle Frank from your life because he doesn't want to wear a mask, you may also have to cut out Aunt Wendy because she only wears a cloth mask and still goes out to Applebees because Walensky told her it was okay.

I'm getting really pissed at my parents for gaslighting when every time I talk to them they say they're being safe, etc - but then they go to hockey games. "Oh we're wearing a mask!" ok but you're eating there with 20,000 other people right? Like, watch the games on TV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Joe Rogan will be better by saying something doesn't sound right and not following up as the guest says more dumb poo poo as Joe nods

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
Also that other poster almost coming to blows over masking behavior... if you want to get into a fight over it, ask yourself this: What's the entire point of wearing a mask? Obstinately, it's to avoid physical harm

So that being the case how the gently caress are you avoiding physical harm by getting into altercations with strangers?

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

I agree; Joe Biden should spend significant amounts of time in places without mask mandates

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021
gently caress, most people are loving idiots in my life and my circle of friends/family I trust more than being a pen pal is only on one hand.

very lonely, I think my partner has it worse. a lot of people she cares about have been mean to her about trying to protect herself.

so very stupid

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

yesss, thats the one!

two-time fee
Jan 13, 2022
lmao thread went full circle again.

Time to repost Alberto :

In this respect our townfolk were like everybody else, wrapped up in themselves; in other words they were humanists: they disbelieved in pestilences. A pestilence isn't a thing made to man's measure; therefore we tell ourselves that pestilence is a mere bogy of the mind, a bad dream that will pass away. But it doesn't always pass away and, from one bad dream to another, it is men who pass away, and the humanists first of all, because they haven't taken their precautions. Our townsfolk were not to blame more than others; they forgot to be modest, that was all, and thought that everything still was possible for them; which presupposed that pestilences were impossible. They went on doing business, arranged for journeys, and formed views. How should they have given a thought to anything like plague, which rules out any future, cancels journeys, silences the exchange of views. They fancied themselves free, and no one will ever be free so long as there are pestilences.

call_of_qthulhu
Nov 21, 2003

Fun Shoe

MLK Ultra posted:

thanks for coming to my peastalk.

gently caress, my childhood was fueled by cans of peas in a similar way.

im out now, have been for a long time and i cook for myself but jfc

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
covid is Finnish-ed

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Joementum posted:

covid is Finnish-ed

#girlboss

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Cup Runneth Over posted:

It's too bad a philosophy degree is largely wasted money these days because people like you would probably have a considerable improvement in your quality of life if you pursued one. Though in my experience it can also just turn you from depressed all the time to angry all the time.

it might be wasted money from a capitalist hell-perspective but it's for sure not a waste of time. philosophy is easy to learn for free, lots of big universities put their philosophy lectures online

platzapS
Aug 4, 2007

Thread, help me improve my office

There are three people sitting in this lil call center. Floor area about 262 sq ft. Volume ~2100 ft^3.

1) Will MERV 13 filters stop covid?
2) What's a good, relatively quiet box fan for this room?
3) Would it help at all to open the door to the interior hallway, which has unmasked people walking around every few minutes?
(I've requested a HEPA but I'm not optimistic. The health department is not allowed to cite "covid" as a reason for ordering things)

There is this big, beautiful door to the outside I am forbidden to open because that would be a safety hazard.

platzapS fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Jan 31, 2022

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Joementum posted:

"a couple of days after the country entered its third year of dealing with the pandemic"

I read this as "Finland has been dealing with the pandemic, but other countries haven't been dealing with it for that long and just gave up, so only Finland gets to say it's entered its third year of doing so"

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Joementum posted:

covid is Finnish-ed

It’s so awesome we’ve given up after even barely trying because there’s profit to be made and our corporate overlords hope is there will be just enough people who won’t end up dead or permanently disabled from covid to keep profits flowing, it owns

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

now that every country is just giving up I do wonder what, if anything, any of them will do once it becomes obvious that doesn't work

like it can't work

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

BONGHITZ posted:

yesss, thats the one!

I found it really easily because I remembered that someone said it looked like "Snorks cosplay" which is a really easy phrase to pin down via thread search. :v:

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Joementum posted:

covid is Finnish-ed

theyll be suorry

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

platzapS posted:

(I've requested a HEPA but I'm not optimistic. The health department is not allowed to cite "covid" as a reason for ordering things)
"seasonal allergies"

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

After speaking with the CEO of Delta airlines and other prominent business heads I am proud to announce we will be creating a new Federal holiday called COVID-Mass. Each year we will encourage cities and states to host mass gatherings in which everyone should gather and contract as much COVID as possible. Those who survive will only make the United States stronger by weeding out the weak who would not have generated much profit anyway. Thank you and god bless America!
-Joe Biden, 2022

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

now that every country is just giving up I do wonder what, if anything, any of them will do once it becomes obvious that doesn't work

like it can't work

Ratchet down into lower state capacity with a "this is the new normal" language. And then just accept that life expectancy fell by several years, which I'm sure some people think is great because the percentage of the population legally entitled to retirement/pension goes down considerably.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Tulip posted:

Ratchet down into lower state capacity with a "this is the new normal" language. And then just accept that life expectancy fell by several years, which I'm sure some people think is great because the percentage of the population legally entitled to retirement/pension goes down considerably.

how does that work without entire industries collapsing though
Like I can see how they can bulldoze through short-term but eventually you run out of people to feed to the grinder

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

It used to be that if you were friends with "someone you disagree with politically", there was a good chance that it didn't really have a practical effect on your life. Someone might support the concentration camps on the border, either as a Democrat or Republican, and it didn't matter to you, because, well, you're not an immigrant caught up in America's dragnet

Take the opposite view post-Omicron, in that people who think "COVID isn't real" aren't the problem. If everyone was vaccinated and took COVID as seriously as possible it'd still likely be spreading like wildfire because that's what an airborne immune evading virus does, albeit probably slower. Anti-vaxxers might have been a problem before, but they aren't the main drivers of transmission anymore. In the current situation even people who are doing everything right, are fully vaccinated + boosted etc, have a non-negligible chance of transmitting the virus to you. It gets passed around because people participate in society, go to work, send their kids to schools, live in apartment buildings (hi), have to go to the hospitals etc. Some people go to restaurants, which is stupid, but the problem is the restaurants are open. Political orientation only matters marginally.

The current post-Omicron crisis is 100% a failure of political leadership, hands down. It's due to not shutting down non-essential international travel, shuttering bars+restaurants+other non-essential economic activity, not demanding schools go remote and cancelling large events, not pushing N95s or better until way too late, for undermining effective workplace regulations and not facilitating the massive ventilation infrastructure upgrades required to make necessary shared spaces safe. Blaming individuals even a bit inadvertently gives a pass to this failed political leadership. It's falling for the "pandemic of the unvaccinated" lie, which shifts the blame from the failed state to recalcitrant individuals. It's just more obvious now that vaccine efficacy has declined to the point that they're not reliably preventing transmission or infection. My family's infections weren't caused be some anti-masker, they were caused by the Biden admin, the Hochul admin and goddamn de Blasio in roughly that order of personal culpability. Of course we personally should have driven out of NYC by mid-Dec at the latest but won't get into self-recriminations here.

You might argue the widespread sentiment that "COVID isn't real or serious" is what's constraining political leadership from taking necessary action. I'd disagree, capital is calling the shots right now and dictating the virus can spread as long as the rate of return isn't threatened. The public is adapting views that allow them to function in this situation, with the help of massive consent manufacturing.

Agree with your point that with COVID the personal stakes have become very real and personal interactions require extreme care. Before you could work beside someone with terrible views and not really get impacted but now it's risky. But it's risky even if you politically align, the politics don't matter when the virus is everywhere.

captainbananas
Sep 11, 2002

Ahoy, Captain!

https://twitter.com/denise_dewald/status/1488132244300603399

the letter to Zients can be found in full here:

https://welch.house.gov/sites/welch.house.gov/files/WH Nurse Staffing.pdf

It really is some Statute of Laborers poo poo, with the thin veneer of targeting "staffing agencies" instead of the nurses themselves.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

It will be illegal to report covid numbers and covid deaths

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
I don't have the energy for this. This fatigue is something else. gently caress.

1290 Hospitals are reporting they expect staffing shortages next week, so its not "over"

Total Beds" 763,159"
Beds Used: 587,752
COVID: 134,108 (lowest since 1/8)

Adult Admissions Yesterday: 19,682 (lowest since 12/29)
Pediatric Admissions: 1,374 (lowest since 1/4)

ICU Occupancy: 65,067
COVID ICU: 23,345

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
I’m late to food chat but it’s throwing me off seeing all these very strong opinions when based on most of the posting in C-SPAM you all seem to subsist on cigarettes or vapes and chicken nuggets with occasional forays to Taco Bell.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/USATODAY/status/1488153325887361026?s=20

Rip Testes
Jan 29, 2004

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception.
My local home showed no Auras in inventory, in fact it wasn't even an item showing up at the store, but checked this morning anyways and there were several three pack boxes on the shelf for less than the price label.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

gradenko_2000 posted:

It used to be that if you were friends with "someone you disagree with politically", there was a good chance that it didn't really have a practical effect on your life. Someone might support the concentration camps on the border, either as a Democrat or Republican, and it didn't matter to you, because, well, you're not an immigrant caught up in America's dragnet.

Indeed, this is why the right would repeatedly cloak the conversation as simply a "political disagreement" - that you shouldn't cut someone out of your life for being a Trump voter, because they might be perfectly nice to you in all of your personal interactions, so what did it matter? But people who are minorities have known for a long time that this isn't really the case.

What COVID has done, is make this kind of position intractable. If you are friends with someone who doesn't believe COVID is real, doesn't believe in getting vaccinated for COVID, etc., then they stand a pretty good chance of maiming and/or killing you, should you ever have a face-to-face interaction with them. It becomes far more important

Further, it's expanded the reach of the problem: even privileged portions of the population are having to suffer the effects of people that they "politically disagree with".

As well, with the expanding esoterica of the correct knowledge and practice to avoid COVID, the number of people who are "doing it right" continues to grow ever smaller. It's not enough that you cut out Racist Uncle Frank from your life because he doesn't want to wear a mask, you may also have to cut out Aunt Wendy because she only wears a cloth mask and still goes out to Applebees because Walensky told her it was okay.

That quote from Sartre about anti-Semites is also super apropos, previously these "political" discussions were only frivolous amusements for them because the problems they're addressing were never part of their life in any real way so engaging in the debate is pretty much just an interesting mental exercise for them

quote:

“Never believe that anti-Semites are completely unaware of the absurdity of their replies. They know that their remarks are frivolous, open to challenge. But they are amusing themselves, for it is their adversary who is obliged to use words responsibly, since he believes in words. The anti-Semites have the right to play. They even like to play with discourse for, by giving ridiculous reasons, they discredit the seriousness of their interlocutors. They delight in acting in bad faith, since they seek not to persuade by sound argument but to intimidate and disconcert. If you press them too closely, they will abruptly fall silent, loftily indicating by some phrase that the time for argument is past.”

These days the part about "If you press them too closely, they will abruptly fall silent" usually involves tone policing or some other form of invoking decorum.

E: the other issue is, as you pointed out, the privileged classes now have to face consequences which they can easily live with if they grit their teeth and bear it but it's a constant reminder that Something Is Wrong and beyond their control and they simply can't live like that. Of course minorities have always had to live with that kind of poo poo constantly hanging over their heads (bigotry, voting rights, marriage rights, medical access, educational access, etc etc), society has always been more than happy to load burdens like that onto certain portions of the population if it meant that other classes got to live in the sun

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Jan 31, 2022

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Thoguh posted:

I’m late to food chat but it’s throwing me off seeing all these very strong opinions when based on most of the posting in C-SPAM you all seem to subsist on cigarettes or vapes and chicken nuggets with occasional forays to Taco Bell.

I eat a lot of bibimbap and I encourage goons to make it at home themselves, too
gochujang makes even the blandest vegetable a delight and an egg on top mmmm

it's mostly just cutting stuff and sauteing and it looks beautiful if you take the time to arrange it
impress your friends and loved ones

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Thoguh posted:

i sometimes make a high-viscosity breakfast by dissolving protein powder into oatmeal then i scream internally and post externally

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Quoting this for later but it seems like the main difference between "normal" and "not normal" is that The Help telling Matty "no" is Not Normal

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Nocturtle posted:

Take the opposite view post-Omicron, in that people who think "COVID isn't real" aren't the problem. If everyone was vaccinated and took COVID as seriously as possible it'd still likely be spreading like wildfire because that's what an airborne immune evading virus does, albeit probably slower. Anti-vaxxers might have been a problem before, but they aren't the main drivers of transmission anymore. In the current situation even people who are doing everything right, are fully vaccinated + boosted etc, have a non-negligible chance of transmitting the virus to you. It gets passed around because people participate in society, go to work, send their kids to schools, live in apartment buildings (hi), have to go to the hospitals etc. Some people go to restaurants, which is stupid, but the problem is the restaurants are open. Political orientation only matters marginally.

The current post-Omicron crisis is 100% a failure of political leadership, hands down. It's due to not shutting down non-essential international travel, shuttering bars+restaurants+other non-essential economic activity, not demanding schools go remote and cancelling large events, not pushing N95s or better until way too late, for undermining effective workplace regulations and not facilitating the massive ventilation infrastructure upgrades required to make necessary shared spaces safe. Blaming individuals even a bit inadvertently gives a pass to this failed political leadership. It's falling for the "pandemic of the unvaccinated" lie, which shifts the blame from the failed state to recalcitrant individuals. It's just more obvious now that vaccine efficacy has declined to the point that they're not reliably preventing transmission or infection. My family's infections weren't caused be some anti-masker, they were caused by the Biden admin, the Hochul admin and goddamn de Blasio in roughly that order of personal culpability. Of course we personally should have driven out of NYC by mid-Dec at the latest but won't get into self-recriminations here.

You might argue the widespread sentiment that "COVID isn't real or serious" is what's constraining political leadership from taking necessary action. I'd disagree, capital is calling the shots right now and dictating the virus can spread as long as the rate of return isn't threatened. The public is adapting views that allow them to function in this situation, with the help of massive consent manufacturing.

Agree with your point that with COVID the personal stakes have become very real and personal interactions require extreme care. Before you could work beside someone with terrible views and not really get impacted but now it's risky. But it's risky even if you politically align, the politics don't matter when the virus is everywhere.

:hai:

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Another week of less pay because my clients are quarantined with Covid.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Bread Liar

Joementum posted:

covid is Finnish-ed

one little trick to not get in trouble for staying out all night clubbing

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.

Nocturtle posted:

And oddly enough the rich have become obscenely more rich during the pandemic while everyone else suffers. Lucky!

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ

Good grief, what a piece of poo poo. Smash that Humpty Dumpty looking gently caress.

It was always a poo poo thing going to work sick and infecting your co-workers regardless, before COVID. Same with sending your kids to school sick or giving them Tylenol in the morning thinking teachers wouldn’t notice by afternoon.

https://mobile.twitter.com/KathrynDill/status/1488145130670497794?cxt=HHwWhIC9_ZOH-qYpAAAA

Gee wonder why teachers are fleeing and what will happen. No one wants to be forced to work in plaguelands, conservatives are completely loving over the education system to protect their racist, bigoted ideology, parents treat teachers like garbage, and poo poo pay.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

E gochujang is really good, with some peanut butter and soy sauce to can make some great tofu

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

how does that work without entire industries collapsing though
Like I can see how they can bulldoze through short-term but eventually you run out of people to feed to the grinder

You'd be surprised by how deep the bench can go. An Shi Rebellion marks basically the halfway point for the Tang and was a far more radical population loss than what we're looking at so far. Most states survived Black Death largely intact though with a 50 year period of insane poo poo like laws that capped the price of labor. The Roman Emperor who saw 20% of his capital die of plague still got to be known as "the Great."

Reduced state capacity is a bland term for a very very lovely experience (like the collapse of the Western Roman Empire is a canonical example) but it generally only cascades slowly.

We're still very far from a "smallpox entering the Americas" type event, which is the sort of plague that truly obliterates governments.

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.
Cool, my nephews are sick and may have Covid for the second time. But I'm sure they won't have any long term complications and things will be mild

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Tulip posted:

E gochujang is really good, with some peanut butter and soy sauce to can make some great tofu

You'd be surprised by how deep the bench can go. An Shi Rebellion marks basically the halfway point for the Tang and was a far more radical population loss than what we're looking at so far. Most states survived Black Death largely intact though with a 50 year period of insane poo poo like laws that capped the price of labor. The Roman Emperor who saw 20% of his capital die of plague still got to be known as "the Great."

Reduced state capacity is a bland term for a very very lovely experience (like the collapse of the Western Roman Empire is a canonical example) but it generally only cascades slowly.

We're still very far from a "smallpox entering the Americas" type event, which is the sort of plague that truly obliterates governments.

I suppose historically true but at the same time we are a much more intimately integrated spider-web of dependencies than we have ever been, globally. Maybe if it was just America culling its service industry people could ignore it but the supply chain and chip shortages and all that aren't going to get less hosed over time and we're not set up to be an entirely self-sufficient country, it's not feasible

We're looking at wild inflation at best on top of service industry collapse