Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Farecoal

There he go
I loved the original Mafia as a kid and I think I'll let those memories stay untouched

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarah Cenia

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
I remember enjoying Mafia while drunk but i was only getting into rumbles down at the docks the entire time

sb hermit

Played River City Girls and the gameplay is a bunch of fun. I ended up playing until about 5 am and realized that I was addicted and had to stop.

A couple things I noticed, though:
  • there's no free heals. You can either earn a full heal with a level up or you can buy items. Or you can just spend your money and take a game over, which only seems to cost a percentage of your on-hand money. Or you can luck out on having food dropped by your opponents.
  • I buy a lot of cool moves but I have no idea how to use 3/4ths of them. Nevertheless, it's a fun way to grind for a more powerful character.
  • Throws are weird, particularly when you grab people by the back.

I'm going to put it on hold until I beat Ace Combat 7.

Jolo

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

My main complaint with Mafia is the checkpointing is pretty bad. You'll die after 5 minutes of shootouts and go back to the very start sometimes.

It's not as bad as that post made it out to be but you can feel the old pc game design even though it's a modern remake. Thing is, on that pc game I bet you had quick save whereas on this game you're reliant on the checkpointing being generous and sometimes it's not at all.

Scaly Haylie

i ran out of ideas for miitopia boys so i'm adding some byob faces, starting with kaiser schnitzel

Goons Are Gifts

holy poo poo

How Wonderful!

I only have excellent ideas
I've been playing Nobody Saves the World and its cute, every form feels chunky and nice once you get the hang of it (that I've unlocked so far). It was a lovely weather weekend with a lot of stuff going on so it was nice to have a pretty light and casual game to pick up and put down for a few minutes at a time.

-sig by Manifisto! goblin by Khanstant! News and possum by deep dish peat moss!

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

ps5 coming tomorrow whole house excited am preparing for war

Jolo

Bo-Pepper posted:

ps5 coming tomorrow whole house excited am preparing for war

Nice! Play Astrobot's Playroom, everyone will love it. Really showcases how cool the controller is and has great music and lots of little references to older playstation games.

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

Definitely will do that

And then we'll dip into the ps4 games Bro-Pepper threw my way since we missed the ps4 generation entirely

Horizon Zero Dawn
Spider Man
Bloodborne
God of War

Lady-Pepper also wants to play Last of Us

Dr. Honked

eat it you slaaaaaaag

Bo-Pepper posted:

Definitely will do that

And then we'll dip into the ps4 games Bro-Pepper threw my way since we missed the ps4 generation entirely

Horizon Zero Dawn
Spider Man
Bloodborne
God of War

Lady-Pepper also wants to play Last of Us

HZD is one of my favourite games Of All Times

thanks deep dish pete moss and Plant MONSTER

kalel

I was really into post-apocalyptic robot dinos for the first 10 or 15 hours but I got kinda bored, idk.

more falafel please

forums poster

kalel posted:

I was really into post-apocalyptic robot dinos for the first 10 or 15 hours but I got kinda bored, idk.

yeah me too. im not really into crafting systems like that, where basically your upgrade path is dependent on keeping stacks of 17 different things in your inventory to create the illusion of choice. just gimme a tech tree

thanks Saoshyant and nesamdoom for the sigs!

Jolo

kalel posted:

Yeah I didn't finish it. I think the story is really solid and it's gorgeous to look at but I got really burned out too.

Farecoal

There he go
It definitely felt like one of the Ubisoft style open world games. Still good enough for me to finish everything except the trial camps though

Finger Prince

Man I loved HZD. I think it was probably one of the best games (easily top 5, probably top 3) I've played on the PS4, I think I like 99%ed it. No replay value, but it's thoroughly satisfying. For me it ticked all the boxes.

sb hermit

Scaly Haylie posted:

i ran out of ideas for miitopia boys so i'm adding some byob faces, starting with kaiser schnitzel

Prof. Crocodile

Scaly Haylie posted:

a striking likeness :eyepop:

How Wonderful!

I only have excellent ideas
I think we got Horizon Zero Dawn for free with some console but I don't remember which one and we never touched it, it just looked like too big of a game to play in small chunks.

-sig by Manifisto! goblin by Khanstant! News and possum by deep dish peat moss!

Scaly Haylie

welcome to the party korean boomhauer and how wonderful

Scaly Haylie

update

Heather Papps

hello friend

How Wonderful! posted:

I think we got Horizon Zero Dawn for free with some console but I don't remember which one and we never touched it, it just looked like too big of a game to play in small chunks.

one of the great lost loves of my life cosplays as only a jedi and the main character from this game that i have never played that is my review thank you very much.

i am playing hypnospace outlaw and metroid dread and wow both these games have one problem each, i do not want to download a virus and i hate being hunted by undefeatable enemies respectively.

the metroid robot brings me to another point - is there a term for the videogame conceit of you are extremely powerful, almost omnipotent in the world of the game, but you have some sort of illness or weakness or curse or whatever that can instantly render you powerless and unconscious, for plot reasons.

i've been also playing cyberpunk, and this is what made me think of this. you can wipe out a whole factory of cyber augmented mecha warriors and double jump away across rooftops, but if the game wants you are getting blacked out with absolutely no warning. if there was a pill meter and i had to keep taking the pills to prevent it and then it happened during combat because i forgot to take the pill that would rule, but the way it's implemented is weirdly frustrating.

anyways i like you video game you are nice to me.

thanks Dumb Sex-Parrot and deep dish peat moss for this winter bounty!

Scaly Haylie

oh god oh gently caress they're turning the power of chill agianst us

Bobby Deluxe

Heather Papps posted:

the metroid robot brings me to another point - is there a term for the videogame conceit of you are extremely powerful, almost omnipotent in the world of the game, but you have some sort of illness or weakness or curse or whatever that can instantly render you powerless and unconscious, for plot reasons.
Is it similar to how your character can take several rockets to the face, get impaled by a bunch of sword blows and wade through submachine gun fire absolutely fine, but then a cutscene starts and you're like "whoah, that guy has a KNIFE, easy fella."

(Or a pistol if it's Mass Effect)

Scaly Haylie

wonderful earned a makeover because i reached a dramatically appropriate point in the story

Prof. Crocodile

Scaly Haylie posted:

wonderful earned a makeover because i reached a dramatically appropriate point in the story

the years have not been kind to Little My.

Heather Papps

hello friend

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Is it similar to how your character can take several rockets to the face, get impaled by a bunch of sword blows and wade through submachine gun fire absolutely fine, but then a cutscene starts and you're like "whoah, that guy has a KNIFE, easy fella."

(Or a pistol if it's Mass Effect)

yes this is the same thing for sure. ludonarrative dissonance i guess is the term for the weird contrast between being a violent psychopath in action but a hero in story, but the competency off switch i find even more jarring. i guess that's because i'm a gameplay over story person, or something.

i feel like there are thousands of instances of "getting knocked out from behind" in videogames that specifically give you advanced warning of attack and the option to block or counter.

Finger Prince

Heather Papps posted:

one of the great lost loves of my life cosplays as only a jedi and the main character from this game that i have never played that is my review thank you very much.

i am playing hypnospace outlaw and metroid dread and wow both these games have one problem each, i do not want to download a virus and i hate being hunted by undefeatable enemies respectively.

i've been also playing cyberpunk, and this is what made me think of this. you can wipe out a whole factory of cyber augmented mecha warriors and double jump away across rooftops, but if the game wants you are getting blacked out with absolutely no warning. if there was a pill meter and i had to keep taking the pills to prevent it and then it happened during combat because i forgot to take the pill that would rule, but the way it's implemented is weirdly frustrating.

anyways i like you video game you are nice to me.

This happens in an extremely annoying and dare I say immersion breaking way in Farcry 5 (a game entirely about shooting infinite hillbillies, if you didn't know) entirely for "story" purposes to advance the main plot. In an Ubisoft map clearing game. Yes you can singlehandedly genocide the entire population of Montana, but clear out that one farmstead and an invincible hit squad will show up to shoot you with a tranq so you can get thrown in their psych torture prison. The best part was when I knew it was coming, so I hopped in a helicopter and flew off, and was like, try and get me now, fuckers! As I soared above the mountaintops, and then after a couple of minutes I just blacked out in the helicopter and awoke in the prison.

Heather Papps

hello friend

Finger Prince posted:

The best part was when I knew it was coming, so I hopped in a helicopter and flew off, and was like, try and get me now, fuckers! As I soared above the mountaintops, and then after a couple of minutes I just blacked out in the helicopter and awoke in the prison.

amazing. this would make me laugh very bitterly.

the thing is, as someone who has written a narrative before, i understand the problem. games are interactive, but you have these story beats that MUST be hit at certain points for very important reasons, so this sort of thing happens.

this far cry example i'd find even more frustrating than the cyberpunk thing, i think, because unless your character has a specific weakness to horse tranq they didn't even attempt to make it organic to the story.

it's just lazy writing, there are ways to do it that don't feel so insulting and jarring. i don't mind samus being rendered powerless at the beginning of a game because of an explosion or some poo poo, but getting permission from your superior to use missiles is just dumb as hell.

Finger Prince

Heather Papps posted:

amazing. this would make me laugh very bitterly.

the thing is, as someone who has written a narrative before, i understand the problem. games are interactive, but you have these story beats that MUST be hit at certain points for very important reasons, so this sort of thing happens.

this far cry example i'd find even more frustrating than the cyberpunk thing, i think, because unless your character has a specific weakness to horse tranq they didn't even attempt to make it organic to the story.

it's just lazy writing, there are ways to do it that don't feel so insulting and jarring. i don't mind samus being rendered powerless at the beginning of a game because of an explosion or some poo poo, but getting permission from your superior to use missiles is just dumb as hell.

Oh it's extremely lazy writing. You've built an open world exploration game that you know the player is going to be going off doing infinite sidequests in, and you ask the question "but what if they never advance the main story plot?". Instead of like, assassins creed where they say "don't worry about it, they'll get to it eventually", farcry is like "set a flag then start a timer, but don't make it look like a timer" and then forget that the plot device hit squad can be easily escaped in any number of in-game vehicles.

Prof. Crocodile

this used to bug me even when I was a wee crocodile playing classic games. “okay so doom guy can kill like a million demons and survive laser gun blasts and lug around a ton of equipment, but he CAN’T climb up this tiny one-foot high ledge?”

Heather Papps

hello friend

Prof. Crocodile posted:

this used to bug me even when I was a wee crocodile playing classic games. “okay so doom guy can kill like a million demons and survive laser gun blasts and lug around a ton of equipment, but he CAN’T climb up this tiny one-foot high ledge?”

i don't mind not being able to jump in goldeneye, mainly because they don't show james bond leaping all the time in cutscenes. there is a dissonance between the fundamentals of gameplay in certain genres and the conventions of storytelling that is still being struggled to figure out i think.

my brother and i have been playing videogames since the fateful christmas we got the NES, and we talk about it a lot, and i used this example which i'm going to repeat. if i'm reading a book there are no circumstances that will pull me out as much as common videogame things. a single typo is not only rare but insignificant, but i can't even remember how many "impactful" video game story moments were utterly destroyed by an npc trying to walk thru a conversation or some asset loading improperly or the fact that my character is only wearing underwear and a bag over their head.

there are no films where the camera angle cuts to an overhead and starts spinning in circles rapidly.

i fully believe videogames are art but they are unique in the way that their impact can be undercut by things that are inherent to the medium.

also thank you byob for being the only place on the internet that talking about videogames is fun.

CURRENT GAMING TALK: deep rock galactic gave me a fun hat for a holiday, i love it, it's a great game.

cyberpunk: i guess i'll play the last story mission and then start a new file as a homeless kid that punches everyone

hyperspace drifter: the music is really loving good, the whole game is really good. there's a website where online beefs make peace that reminded me a little of byob.

control ultimate edition: it was clunky to play with mouse/keyboard, apparently was designed for controller. lost interest. a story videogame, not a fun videogame. would rather read the book.

middle earth shadow of war: very fun, emergent story as a result of the nemesis thing that totally rules. i am more engaged in killing some ork who keeps death defying than the plot itself. finding words to make a poem is very tolkein so i like that, but it's a game that i got to a point where i was like "okay i have figured out everything mechanical but am only like halfway thru" and abandoned. may finish, i don't know.

halo infinite: i played some multiplayer. it's halo.

this has been too many words about videogames with heather papps

deep dish peat moss

I've been thinking of "videogames" more as "digital interactive entertainment" recently, and I think the whole art form is still in its infancy. Current games are like oldschool hiphop - it's great, it's fun to listen to, we all love it, but it's sort of half-baked; most songs use the same simple rhyme schemes, the craft hadn't been refined, it was very raw. I don't think contemporary hiphop is any "better" than oldschool hiphop but it's a vastly more refined genre, people have learned a lot about what you can do with that kind of music, they've built off of each other and off of the foundation that the oldschool artists left for them. I get the same sort of immersion-breaking feeling when I'm listening to an oldschool rap song and hear them rhyme 'bat' with 'cat' with 'fat' or whatever and it's like, okay in the context of modern hiphop that just takes me out of it and makes me feel like I'm listening to a nursery rhyme. And there's still a ways to go before videogames go through that refinement process.

We're never going to see that kind of refinement out of AAA games like Call of Duty - they're refining their profit margins instead. But indie games and smaller studios have the opportunity to do something more. I like the concept of "digital toys", sort of like The Ramp which is essentially a digital Tech Deck. What I find interesting/confusing though is that if you look through the reviews, no one really played with it for more than about an hour. Even the positive reviews spent like an hour with it and then never went back. On the other hand when I was in high school there were kids that would play with their Tech Deck on their desk in class for an entire hour every single day. But I think there has to be some way that a developer could take that sort of concept - not a 'game' but just a digital toy, and turn it into something that would actually grip people. OTOH maybe because people playing it are on a device that can play "real games" they just prefer to spend their time with those.

But even beyond the concept of toys there's a lot of cool stuff I think "games" could be doing. I've been thinking about a "game" idea lately that's really just a complex, explorable diorama of a city or world or whatever. No 'gamey' mechanics, very few 'quests' or objectives, no 'gameplay' like fighting or leveling up, no structured narrative. Just a slice of a fictional world that players can walk around in, talk to people in, meet creatures in - without some kind of gamey mechanic propelling them along. Just exploring for the sake of exploring, because you find the world interesting. You could do the same thing with real-world places or cities. The Assassin's Creed game that was set in Egypt had a cool mode that turned off all of the Assassin's Creed parts and just let you walk around in a lovingly rendered ancient Egypt, with educational dialog teaching you the history.

On one hand as a gamer, a digital diorama like that sounds kind of "boring". But as an artist it sounds like a way to advance the creative worldbuilding process - why stop at drawing pictures of your imaginary world and writing about it when you could turn it into a place that people could actually walk around and look at? It would be like going to a gallery show except everything - the walls, the floors you walk on, the sky, the people - is all part of the painting.

Anyway there have been attempts made at these sorts of concepts. They're not nearly as popular as actual "games" but I have a feeling that's where the medium is headed in the long run. Creating digital interactive spaces. Not in the sense of Facebook making Metaverse, but in the sense of artists creating 'paintings' of entire worlds that you can launch on your computer and walk through, and kids having digital toys like a virtual lego set builder or whatever, without all the minecraft-esque gamification.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Feb 1, 2022

Heather Papps

hello friend

deep dish peat moss posted:

this whole dang post

absolutely, i think a big think we overlook is that as a medium video games have only existed for like 50 years or whatever, versus literature being an expansion of the spoken word which predates history. we are on the cusp of very interesting things. the hip hop metaphor is very apt, but i think interactive media is fully it's own thing versus an expansion of movies or whatever. the act of interactivity being engaging or the game being fun is something that other media don't have to worry about

Sarah Cenia

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
i would play the poo poo outta that. at least 40 hours of my red dead redemption playtime is from birdwatching or walking around in the woods high as hell lol

exploring is always my favorite part of any game that has a large world

Finger Prince

Sarah Cenia posted:

i would play the poo poo outta that. at least 40 hours of my red dead redemption playtime is from birdwatching or walking around in the woods high as hell lol

exploring is always my favorite part of any game that has a large world

Some game studio Slartibartfast spent hours, days creating this coastline, from the way the fog rolls in in the morning and laps against the cliffs, to the way the sun sets behind the natural arch (that definitely has treasure hidden on top, if you can figure out how to get up there), you're God damned right I'm gonna stop and enjoy the view.

Heather Papps

hello friend

is botw the perfect game??? i have talked about how it's "hey find these memories in any order or don't" is a really good way of putting a story into the game that encourages replay because i can't imagine anyone decides to watch all the memories in order just before fighting ganon.

i am pretty excited for botw 2 because this whole situation reminds me of the ocarina then majora development, except instead of a single year it's a whole bunch.

red dead was on sale. i should buy it. i love cowboy poo poo but i want to wait till i give rockstar the smallest amount of money possible.

sephiRoth IRA

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
As I get older me and my friends are constantly seeking that chill vibe non competitive gaming experience

We're gravitating towards things like Raft or factorio, where I can have a drink and not have to worry about my reflexes and enjoy the scenery

Heather Papps

hello friend

sephiRoth IRA posted:

As I get older me and my friends are constantly seeking that chill vibe non competitive gaming experience

We're gravitating towards things like Raft or factorio, where I can have a drink and not have to worry about my reflexes and enjoy the scenery

play deep rock galactic. it's a team shooter where you'll all on the same team and you're mining, as space dwarfs, it rules, i swear

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kalel

I got bored by botw even faster than hzd. I think I'm just burnt out on video games in general but it's taken me a long time to accept that as part of my identity

the only game I feel even a remote emotional attachment to is dark souls and even that fire is fading. elden ring will probably be good but I'm just don't feel as hyped for it as I was for Bloodborne. however I have deliberately avoided information about the game so maybe I'll sit down to play and fall in love with a game all over again