Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Imagine WoT as a Bethesda game where the overly long prologue is The Eye of the World. You play the dragon reborn (not dragonborn, that would be silly), and after the incidents of the Eye of the World conclude, you go about the open world nature of the westlands. The mountains of dhoom and spine of the world have high level enemies in the passes to prevent things from getting too nuts, of course. And the Seanchan slowly creep across the southwestern front, increasing in difficulty as they expand.

Tower of Ghenji and Age of Legends flashback for DLC.

DTurtle posted:

In the previous video about the last third of Eye of the World, Clarus completely nailed the Aiel, Children of the Dragon, Tinkers, and Way of the Leaf connection. That was a really amazing moment. Of course, they sometimes also drastically miss with their speculation.

If only nerdy would stop talking over her when she's putting her superior analytical skills to be use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Madeleine Madden (Egwene) posted a video on her insta from what appears to be a birthday party for her. Her birthday was yesterday, with a lot of her main cast mates and two unknown men.

Reddit speculation is calling these possible Gawyn and Galad given what season we are in and given that they are in the midst of filming episodes 7 & 8 of season 2 right now. I'm a solid maybe on the first unkown guy.

Here's who's in this: Madeleine Madden (Egwene), Sibel Ameti (Cast Coordinator), Daniel Henney (Lan), Hammed Animashaun (Loial), Josha Stradowski (Rand), Dónal Finn (Mat), Unknown #1, Unknown #2, Ceara Coveney (Elayne).

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CZWypVnjHuO/?utm_medium=copy_link

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

I've touched on this before, but my re-listen's gotten to the conclusion of The Dragon Reborn and it's surprising to me how early Perrin's disconnection problem starts to take hold. Every other major character gets into the Stone and starts jacking fools up as part of the prophesied Fall...except Perrin, who's off in the Wolf Dream trying to rescue Faile. It's like a premonition of his chasing the Shaido and Faile across the western lands for three books combined with the way he ends up spending the Last Battle doing Wolf Dream shenanigans!

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

I didn't mind the wolf dream stuff at the final battle, because it was nice to see Slayer finally get got.

I was sad that Gaul didn't become a wolf brother though.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Man, how much of the Aiel stuff was because RJ had just seen Lawrence of Arabia

Dingleberry2
Jul 23, 2001

Data Graham posted:

Man, how much of the Aiel stuff was because RJ had just seen Lawrence of Arabia

You mean read Dune?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Maybe, but all this internecine clan stuff sure seems even more on-the-nose.

Though maybe it's in Dune too, I don't know it that well

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Dingleberry2 posted:

You mean read Dune?

Dune is just Lawrence of Arabia fanfic in space. Herbert didn't invent Bedouin culture.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

lol I forgot that Lan hosed Myrelle

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

goethe.cx posted:

lol I forgot that Lan hosed Myrelle

Lan fucks A Lot when you pay attention.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Myrelle had to keep loving Lan so he would stay alive.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Mad Hamish posted:

She knows that the best way to keep a suicidal warder alive is to get him in saidar.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Mad Hamish posted:

He was gonna sheath the sword one way or another.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

Jedit posted:

She knows that the best way to keep a suicidal warder alive is to get him in saidar.

Holy moly

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
heck i'd gently caress myrelle too

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

How are u posted:

heck i'd gently caress myrelle too

show myrelle or book myrelle

noting that the former implies heavily some extremely fun other activities too

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

Light, I did no expect to find a WoT thread here! Saw someone with a Braid Tuggers gang tag elsewhere, got extremely excited, and went looking for it.

Are we talking about the show here as well as everyone's inevitable book reread? Because, uhhhhhhhhh, I sure do have some feelings and some questions.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Unsinkabear posted:

Saw someone with a Braid Tuggers gang tag elsewhere, got extremely excited, and went looking for it.

you can click the tag directly!

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

you can click the tag directly!

Oh! That is a real nice touch

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Unsinkabear posted:

Light, I did no expect to find a WoT thread here! Saw someone with a Braid Tuggers gang tag elsewhere, got extremely excited, and went looking for it.

Are we talking about the show here as well as everyone's inevitable book reread? Because, uhhhhhhhhh, I sure do have some feelings and some questions.

Yes, show, books, book rereads, book relistens, whatever

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Unsinkabear posted:

Full spoilers show talk, go for it.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

silvergoose posted:

show myrelle or book myrelle

noting that the former implies heavily some extremely fun other activities too

Book Myrelle best Myrelle.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Okay. Did... did they introduce Loial and Uno just to get our hopes up and then really truly just loving kill them at the end of that last episode? Should I be holding a candle for them to make it in season 2 since Nynaeve and Egwene can apparently just resurrect people at will now? If not, this is unforgivable, new turning of the Wheel or no.

Also, Dagger Fain already a thing with no explanation? Moiraine stilled? Seanchan already here? Min with a 0 in charisma? Perrin being in love with Egwene and having a whole Women in Refrigerators arc on top of that? What the hell is going on?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Unsinkabear posted:

Okay. Did... did they introduce Loial and Uno just to get our hopes up and then really truly just loving kill them at the end of that last episode? Should I be holding a candle for them to make it in season 2 since Nynaeve and Egwene can apparently just resurrect people at will now? If not, this is unforgivable, new turning of the Wheel or no.

Also, Dagger Fain already a thing with no explanation? Moiraine stilled? Seanchan already here? Min with a 0 in charisma? Perrin being in love with Egwene and having a whole Women in Refrigerators arc on top of that? What the hell is going on?

RAfe's said in interviews that Loial isn't dead yet. Nynaeve wasn't fully dead yet just close. There are hints that Moiraine may be shielded with the shield tied off a la Liandrin, apparently so she and lan can have a character arc in season 2. Not gonna excuse the Perrin thing but :shrug:

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Unsinkabear posted:

Seanchan are showing up about exactly when they did in the books and last we saw of Loial he was still moving (plus he's on set filming season 2.)

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Unsinkabear posted:

No. Dead people don't move.
No one has been resurrected.
Some people think Moiraine is stilled, others believe she's got a tied off shield.
This is about when the Seanchan would be arriving anyway.
The "perrin loves egwene" thing was just Nyneave being a poo poo stirrer because Nyneave deflecting her own uncomfortable feelings onto those around her is classic Nyneave.
Fridging is dumb yes.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Short answer, you're asking the same questions we all asked at some point in the last couple of months

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ahhhh, okay. I suspected Loial wasn't actually dead since we didn't ever see a close-up, just the knife jab, but I didn't see him moving afterward. The way they did Uno makes him seem pretty loving dead, though, and just... why? I didn't expect to see him at all so I was very excited when he popped up, and then crushed when he nigh immediately got got. Why would you bother introducing a fan favorite for just one or two (I don't remember the exact timeline at this point) episodes and then rip him away?

Data Graham posted:

Short answer, you're asking the same questions we all asked at some point in the last couple of months

Listen, I didn't know there was a thread!

CainFortea posted:

The "perrin loves egwene" thing was just Nyneave being a poo poo stirrer because Nyneave deflecting her own uncomfortable feelings onto those around her is classic Nyneave.

I would normally agree with this, but they lend it a heavy amount of legitimacy with the way he moons at her in Episode 1 and the fact that he very definitively does not deny it when Rand asks if it's true.

Killer robot posted:

Seanchan are showing up about exactly when they did in the books

Really? I need to get moving on my reread, apparently. :v:

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Unsinkabear posted:

Yeah man the more time passes the more I feel that the last 2 episodes were really a big step backward in quality and in translation. I'm pretty apprehensive about season 2, now. I get that OG covid shut down production and really screwed them over, and I hope that that was the reason for all the really dumb decisions and not that Rafe and his team are going to continue to diverge from the books in ever-wilder ways.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Unsinkabear posted:

Listen, I didn't know there was a thread!

I'm not saying we necessarily have answers :v:

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Unsinkabear posted:

Really? I need to get moving on my reread, apparently. :v:

Yeah, Falme/Egwene being collared etc all happen in The Great Hunt. They just fall out of prominence after that for a while before coming back as major parts of the story in the second half. They spend books 3-6 as a mostly background detail.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Unsinkabear posted:

I would normally agree with this, but they lend it a heavy amount of legitimacy with the way he moons at her in Episode 1 and the fact that he very definitively does not deny it when Rand asks if it's true.

There actually are a couple of lines in Eye of the World that can be read as hinting at a Perrin -> Egwene crush, though I don't personally read them that way and never have.

I feel like Perrin got done the dirtiest so far of all the EF5.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Unsinkabear posted:

You're absolutely right about it, plenty of people watching the show were remarking on it right from episode 1 and all points are to it being deliberate. And easy to see as just an expansion of Perrin's POV content in the book anyway. Fal Dara had it playing heavier since the big theme of that episode was everyone acting out over having their guilty fears dragged to the front of their mind in the Ways. Which in turn was clumsy since Barney Harris leaving meant the last two episodes were a lot of rewriting/reshooting with little time to smooth things out.

In the end that was just another bit of personal drama tossed on though, especially if they get back to the two not even being near each other often in the next few books/seasons.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

There actually are a couple of lines in Eye of the World that can be read as hinting at a Perrin -> Egwene crush, though I don't personally read them that way and never have.

The lines I'm stumbling across in my reread are all Perrin specifically denying that he has a crush on her, which feels like it's supposed to read that he definitely does. All his side-eyeing Aram mainly.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

How are u posted:

Yeah man the more time passes the more I feel that the last 2 episodes were really a big step backward in quality and in translation. I'm pretty apprehensive about season 2, now. I get that OG covid shut down production and really screwed them over, and I hope that that was the reason for all the really dumb decisions and not that Rafe and his team are going to continue to diverge from the books in ever-wilder ways.

It *really* screwed them over, like, complete rewrites and losing all the trolloc actors and Mat and poo poo.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Perrin also suffers a lot because like 90% of his character stuff in the books is his own internal struggles. He is by far the most introspective character and almost all of his character beats/drama aren't really things that translate to screen well. Especially before he starts doing his wolf DBZ battles in the dream.

Adapting him for TV was always going to need a pretty major overhaul even if the choices they went with are baffling.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

silvergoose posted:

It *really* screwed them over, like, complete rewrites and losing all the trolloc actors and Mat and poo poo.

Is that why they lost Barney Harris? I never did hear what that was about.

I feel like Perrin got done the dirtiest so far of all the EF5.

1000%

Zore posted:

Perrin also suffers a lot because like 90% of his character stuff in the books is his own internal struggles. He is by far the most introspective character and almost all of his character beats/drama aren't really things that translate to screen well. Especially before he starts doing his wolf DBZ battles in the dream.

This is true and I always expected it to be an issue for any screen adaptation, but somehow they still managed to let me down. :argh:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Unsinkabear posted:

Is that why they lost Barney Harris? I never did hear what that was about.

Still unconfirmed. When asked point-blank what the reason was, Rafe said "I can't talk about it".

Theories range from "he's an anti-vaxxer" to "family/health problems" to "visa issues" etc, but not many are consistent with the total radio silence except the first.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Like if I was writing the show I'd realize the thing Perrin absolutely needs more than anyone else is a confidant that he can bounce his private thoughts off of to naturally convey them to the audience. I feel like instead of inventing a tragic crush, Egwene should have served this role for Perrin in season 1 and then Elyas, Faile or if we're real spicy Hopper could have served it in future seasons. It would massively overhaul their interactions from the books to be framed more around showing the public/private dichotomy instead of being a continuation of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Data Graham posted:

Still unconfirmed. When asked point-blank what the reason was, Rafe said "I can't talk about it".

Theories range from "he's an anti-vaxxer" to "family/health problems" to "visa issues" etc, but not many are consistent with the total radio silence except the first.

The timeline for him being an anti-vaxxer doesnt' really line up with when he left the show vs. when the vaccine became available.

My guess is mental health crisis of some kind.