Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I grew up in the N64 era so ugly graphics or bad framerates bother me none

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
i'm not a fan of pokemon myself

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

hatty posted:

Yeah, same!

Aside from forge levels, which are playing at 30 fps, and are technically designed well and are, for the time, high-poly. Sounds like it should be great!

It was not.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

hatty posted:

Idk why but for some reason I can take ps1 graphics much easier than n64

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

TwoHeadedDeer posted:

but of course the next game will be the one we're all waiting for. just a testbed you see

See you in 10 years when Pokemon will add in like 1 quality of life improvement and still somehow look bad.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

Feels Villeneuve posted:

That’s a common opinion these days. On modern displays it’s easier to notice how crisp PS1 games were compared to the N64s inherent blur. On a CRT the differences weren’t as noticeable, especially if you used RF input like I used to

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Stux posted:

this. poressing zr 500 times to chip down its health bar while under zero threat treally got my heart racing.
why do you reflexively answer like this every time someone disagrees with you

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Hell yeah, I hope Triangle Strategy is solid. This trailer shows a little bit of character/weapon progression:

https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/1488150690983821319

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Cavauro posted:

what are your fave switch games

Too many to name, but Into the Breach is up there. Breath of the Wild. Metroid Dread. Mario+Rabbids. I could go on

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Cavauro posted:

what are your fave switch games

Astral Chain op

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Wait what

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Amazon finally shipped my copy of Legends and it's due in today! :neckbeard: I look forward to diving into it so I can throw my hat into the Legends opinions here. However given what I know about the kind of player I am, I have a feeling I'm going to love it.

We shall see!

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Feels Villeneuve posted:

It's the textures, the N64 had a piddly amount of texture memory so you'd see untextured ugly polygons all day.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Feels Villeneuve posted:

it's because they aged and look better OP

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Amppelix posted:

why do you reflexively answer like this every time someone disagrees with you

gonna cry?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Too many to name, but Into the Breach is up there. Breath of the Wild. Metroid Dread. Mario+Rabbids. I could go on

So me grabbing Mario + Rabbids on the eShop yesterday for like $15 (an actual sale, lol) was a good call?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Xenomrph posted:

So me grabbing Mario + Rabbids on the eShop yesterday for like $15 (an actual sale, lol) was a good call?

yes

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Xenomrph posted:

Absolutely! The game is so much better than you might expect. They gave Mario a loving gun.

One thing about the eshop to bear in mind...when you buy a game, you get a pittance of gold coins based on how much it cost. But when the game is on sale, they only give you the gold coins to cover the sale cost of the game.

However, if you buy an eshop code from another vendor and use it, nintendo assumes you paid full price and gives you the corresponding gold coins.

So what this means is if you can get an eshop code from say Amazon or whatever for the same sale price as the game has on the eshop, it's better to buy from Amazon so you get the full gold coins. If that makes sense.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
also carts only give you gold points a calendar year after release which smh

i get that it's so people dont claim however many hundred gold points after a game gets bargain binned but my god is it cheap

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

WHY BONER NOW posted:

They gave Mario a loving gun.

https://youtu.be/Kk9oa_PiXAk

Feels Villeneuve posted:

also carts only give you gold points a calendar year after release which smh

i get that it's so people dont claim however many hundred gold points after a game gets bargain binned but my god is it cheap
Wait how does that work? Like, could I be getting gold points on these used games I’m buying?

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Xenomrph posted:

Wait how does that work? Like, could I be getting gold points on these used games I’m buying?

Hit + to bring up the software information, then scroll down to the Nintendo Rewards program part. It can only be done once per cartridge, so if you're buying used it depends on whether the previous owner already got them, plus as mentioned it's only possible for 1 year or something after the cartridge is printed.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
This feels strange

https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/1488195552181424132

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
LOL people are going to snap the joycons in half trying to hit

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Mario game with guns and swear words: universally beloved, despite having rabbids

Sonic game with guns and swear words: universally reviled, despite having team chaotix

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Ragequit posted:

Hell yeah, I hope Triangle Strategy is solid. This trailer shows a little bit of character/weapon progression:

I think this game looks pretty awesome, but are they actually going to keep the name "Triangle Strategy" lol. I thought that name was initially a placeholder

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Polo-Rican posted:

I think this game looks pretty awesome, but are they actually going to keep the name "Triangle Strategy" lol. I thought that name was initially a placeholder

They are definitely going with that name. It's very Octopath Traveler and I love it.

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe

Polo-Rican posted:

I love it and every studio should have that courage

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I think they just say that so people won't focus on the terrible name in the previews and quick looks. Then by the time the game comes out, it's been normalized

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
If they must change it, might I offer some suggestions:

Pyramid Maneuver
Three-sided Stratagem
Bass Pro Shops Tactics

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
They should have gone all in and stuck with Project Triangle Strategy (working title)

Punkreas
May 13, 2013

*chews on head*
Lipstick Apathy
Untitled Strategy Game

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Snake Maze posted:

They should have gone all in and stuck with Project Triangle Strategy (working title)

Much like the Monster Hunter character, recurring felyne trader Neko (Means Cat)

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I’m the opposite, I prefer the blurry N64 textures over the weird wavy PS1 textures. Playing PS1 on a modern display always looks weird and twitchy, almost like there’s a wave filter over everything. Still love both consoles, though, blurriness and waviness aren’t game breakers for me.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Sending my N64 off to a goon today who will hopefully be able to repair it. :( RIP September 29, 1996 - January 28, 2022

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

Xenomrph posted:

Peripherals question, I’m not picky about having cases for Switch game cards when I buy them used if it means saving some money on them, but they’re also like the size of a postage stamp and just begging to be lost. Is there a good inexpensive route for storing game cards? I have a couple little carry cases that I keep all of my DS/3DS carts in.

I use these

AmazonBasics Game Storage Case for 24 Nintendo Switch Games - 3.4 x 3.4 x 1 Inches, Black https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B0714MH9TR/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_i_RP91YYSPSM5VEMGN6RNN

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Ragequit posted:

I know this won't be the next Tactics Ogre, much like Octopath wasn't the next SaGa Frontier, but much like Octopath I think it'll be good times.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
This one is the best:

JINGDU 16-Slot Game Card Case for Nintendo Switch Game and Memory Card, [Shockproof, Waterproof] Hard PC Shell, Soft Lining, The Holder Suitable for Switch, Lite & OLED Games, Pokedex, Red https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09H5RNS1S/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_i_8SV7EG78GW9VEYYYGS3X?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
The gamer aesthetic

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Stay out mom!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

loudog999 posted:

I’ve been using this one. It’s basically a split pad clone with rumble and gyro and has been my favorite joy con replacement so far.

MOBAPAD M6 Gemini Game Consoles for Nintendo Switch LeftandRight Gamepad Game Handle Grip for NS OLED JoyCon
https://a.aliexpress.com/_m0VSh84

This looks great but for whatever reason my credit card never goes through on ali express... and for the appeal they want me to upload all sorts of documentation, not worth it, hopefully this makes its way to amazon eventually.