Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

The alternate art is pretty sick, too.

This gets the idea across so much better than the regular art.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

jassi007 posted:

I hate this card because magic has set up like 30 years of expectations that creatures have subtypes. Maro of course points to the only other card that doesn't, a card from The Dark that basically nobody knows exists, and it is Nameless One, so it not having a subtype is basically a weird joke based on the card's name.

You're talking about Nameless Race, Nameless One is the morphing wizard avatar.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Eej posted:

Keep reading Otawara as Ottawa, Ethereal City - Channel to return target Trucker to its owner's hand.

I’ll probably accidentally call the card Ottawa for the rest of my life

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

jassi007 posted:

I hate this card because magic has set up like 30 years of expectations that creatures have subtypes. Maro of course points to the only other card that doesn't, a card from The Dark that basically nobody knows exists, and it is Nameless One, so it not having a subtype is basically a weird joke based on the card's name.

This reasonable take is not what Seth posted and also doesn't have you feigning ignorance.
I just don't believe that the guy who makes magic decks based on weird and fun interactions as his job didn't know you couldn't Changling to up your Shrine count.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Huh, a cheaper more color intensive https://scryfall.com/card/cmr/52/triumphant-reckoning that doesnt get walkers. Cool I guess?

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Eej posted:

Keep reading Otawara as Ottawa, Ethereal City - Channel to return target Trucker to its owner's hand.

Imagine if Seb was the artist for this

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Froghammer posted:

Illithid Guy Fieri who calls himself Mayor of Flayertown

I'm gonna be real disappointed when this doesn't come out for Baldur's Gate

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Does anyone think that this card would be too good at 5WW? lol

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

This is very cool but I don't know why they didn't keyword it with affinity

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Dig Through Artifacts. I could see various 8 cast decks playing a few of these.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Affinity is the Mirrodin mechanic and, baring a strange set like MH2 and WAR, won't show up anywhere else.
In order to simply the game mechanics are split up into classes. There's evergreen mechanics: Your first strike's, tramples, deathtocuhes. These can show up in any and all sets and are considered a core of the game. Then there's 'deciduous' mechanics that can show up in other sets, but rarely. Phasing, Protection are such examples.
Then there's the final class, we'll just call them other, and aren't considered part of the game so unless it's the mechanic of the set they tend to shed they keyword when they come back. Affinity, surveil... basically everything else

https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/making-magic/evergreen-eggs-ham-2015-06-08

HootTheOwl fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Jan 31, 2022

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

HootTheOwl posted:

Affinity is the Mirrodin mechanic and, baring a strange set like MH2 and WAR, won't show up anywhere else.
In order to simply the game mechanics are split up into classes. There's evergreen mechanics: Your first strike's, tramples, deathtocuhes. These can show up in any and all sets and are considered a core of the game. Then there's 'deciduous' mechanics that can show up in other sets, but rarely. Phasing, Protection are such examples.
Then there's the final class, we'll just call them other, and aren't considered part of the game so unless it's the mechanic of the set they tend to shed they keyword when they come back. Affinity, surveil... basically everything else

Smdh

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
I mean, we get this question every set, going back to tireless tracker with landfall. Just because it matches doesn't mean they're gonna bring back a keyword for a one off card completely out of context.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

If you put affinity on a few cards without it being considered evergreen, the world would end.

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

I mean, we get this question every set, going back to tireless tracker with landfall. Just because it matches doesn't mean they're gonna bring back a keyword for a one off card completely out of context.

It sure would make card searches easier and things a tad more organized. Having a single card in a set have landfall isn't an issue outside of wotc. And we get the question because the answer is rather pointless.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Jan 31, 2022

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

The two genders

Pablo Nergigante posted:

The Human Crouton posted:

Reconfigure, channel, sagas, transform, vehicles, Legendary Enchantment Creature - Shrine, Phyrexian mana.

Is this the most complex set MTG has ever made? Maybe even more than Time Spiral block?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Sickening posted:

It sure would make card searches easier and things a tad more organized. Having a single card in a set have landfall isn't an issue outside of wotc. And we get the question because the answer is rather pointless.

Quite frankly, this

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

flatluigi posted:

tbh I find creatures without subtypes less weird than planeswalkers without subtypes but I don't know if I mind all that much

I assume they were meant to be Shrine Spirits but it didn't fit on the typeline

Anyway vehicles don't have any creature types while animated

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Barry Shitpeas posted:

I assume they were meant to be Shrine Spirits but it didn't fit on the typeline

Anyway vehicles don't have any creature types while animated

They should have creature types like car, bus, catamaran, etc.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
If Shrines were a more widely used enchantment type then people would find the card less confusing. No one is asking whether Equipment is now a creature type because of the Reconfigure cards.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

wizzardstaff posted:

No one is asking whether Equipment is now a creature type because of the Reconfigure cards.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Where the 2/2 that pilots like its power is 1 as an eva reference

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

I know (think?) Maro has said they limit the number of non-evergreen mechanics in sets to make things easier for new players, but wouldn't just using the appropriate keywords all the time eventually lead to better rules comprehension than not? Especially considering how everything but evergreens and some deciduous keywords get reminder text anyway?

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

A bunch of cards in MID/VOW have Surveil, but it's not keyworded and that sucks because it just makes the Surveil matters cards worse by association. I would love to play dimir surveil in Historic, but it's not good any more. Even just having Consider work with the surveil cards would be a huge boon to the deck.

jpmeyer
Jan 17, 2012

parody image of che
people are probably confused because when they see a card like dryad arbor that says "land creature - forest dryad" they can parse that "forest" goes with "land" and "dryad" goes with creature. or if they see arcbound ravager that says "artifact creature - beast" they parse that as "artifact" and "creature - beast". but these shrines to them get parsed as "legendary enchantment" and "creature - shrine" based on how the typeline is written

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

A mana cost? Cowards!

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Why not just write on the card, "counts as a shrine" and just make the creature type a Spirit or something.
------
re: finding cards without their keywords: the current alternative solution is to use scryfall's oracle tags where volunteers tag cards that are actually that ability but not keyworded but that kinda sucks to have to rely on that. I mean maybe don't put the card in the set if there are already too many mechanics?

Didn't one of the cards have Bushido on it but basically they wrote it out instead of using that keyword? Like they explain what the keywords are anyways so why not just put it in and add the explainer text.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

TipTow posted:

I know (think?) Maro has said they limit the number of non-evergreen mechanics in sets to make things easier for new players, but wouldn't just using the appropriate keywords all the time eventually lead to better rules comprehension than not? Especially considering how everything but evergreens and some deciduous keywords get reminder text anyway?

No I don't think so. It would just increase the amount of context and dictionary of terms a new player would need to know to understand the current set.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
I mean, you can just search for the full text minus the ability or keyword. Here's landfall (20 hits):

https://scryfall.com/search?q=o%3A%...grid&order=name

teppichporsche
May 11, 2019

Pablo Nergigante posted:

top 7 is very good

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Bugsy posted:

Huh, a cheaper more color intensive https://scryfall.com/card/cmr/52/triumphant-reckoning that doesnt get walkers. Cool I guess?

It’s an asymmetrical Open the Vaults, dude.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

https://twitter.com/NumotTheNummy/status/1488242516772093952

This is a pretty interesting card. It's PROBABLY too slow but who knows.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

mcmagic posted:

https://twitter.com/NumotTheNummy/status/1488242516772093952

This is a pretty interesting card. It's PROBABLY too slow but who knows.

Very interesting card. Three mana do nothing, but guarantees your 4th land drop or discard that land for value, and then 5th turn you get a 3/4 and a 1/1 typically. I think it's pretty strong. Can imagine discarding a land to return a Portable Hole or something.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

It should have summoning sickness so you don't get the 1/1 from attacking until the turn after it flips.

Mouth Ze Dong
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.

resistentialism posted:

It's not good but that rat saga goes right into a trespasser's curse deck in historic.

And right into my pet deck for modern.

RAT SAGA!!!

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

mcmagic posted:

It should have summoning sickness so you don't get the 1/1 from attacking until the turn after it flips.

True, I forgot the Saga exiles then returns and is not just a flip.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

https://twitter.com/coreybaumeister/status/1488245778179047427?s=21

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

This card sucks.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Looks more like a purple Moonlight Greatsword

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
equip it to something you're gonna be tapping anyway, like a mana dork or (more often in limited) a creature you're using to crew. or just shove it on post combat